Author Topic: Cinemalaya 2012  (Read 13203 times)

Offline geckoph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cinemalaya 2012
« on: Dec 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM »
Cinemalaya filmfest bares finalists for 2012
-- http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=757475&publicationSubCategoryId=70

MANILA, Philippines - Finalists for the New Breed Full-Length Feature category and Directors Showcase for the 2012 Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival and Competition were announced recently.

The 10 finalists in the New Breed Full-Length Feature category are Ang Katiwala (The Caretaker) by Aloy Adlawan; Ang Nawawala (What Isn’t There) by Marietta “Marie” Jamora; Oros by Paul Sta. Ana; Apparition by Vincent Sandoval and Darlene Malimas; Dayo (Alien) by Juliuz Sotomayor Cena; Diablo by Mes de Guzman; Lola Igna by Eduardo W. Roy Jr.; MNL 143 by Emerson Reyes; REQUIEME by Loy Arcenas; and Santa Nina by Emmanuel Palo.

The five finalists in the Directors Showcase are Bwakaw by Jun Lana; Kalayaan (Wildlife) by Adolfo Alix Jr.; Kamera Obskura by Raymond Red; Posas by Jeffrey Jeturian; and Mga Mumunting Lihim by Jose Javier Reyes. The Directors Showcase is open to full-length feature works by Filipino directors who have directed at least three full-length commercial feature films.

Now on its eighth year, Cinemalaya is a project of the Cinemalaya Foundation, Cultural Center of the Philippines, Film Development Council of the Philippines and Econolink Investments, Inc. It is an all-digital film festival and aims to discover, encourage and honor cinematic works of Filipino filmmakers that boldly articulate and freely interpret the Filipino experience with fresh insight and artistic integrity.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM by geckoph »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Cinemalala 2012
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 03:25 PM »
CINEMALALA 2012...MNL 143 was disqualified because of Robbie Tan, yes the Seiko Mogul who gave us MACHETE, KOKAK, KESONG PUTI and other potboilers that your grandchildren will be proud to see on Cinema One.

Shame on you....Mr. Tan!

MNL 143 was disqualified by Cinemalaya's Organizing Committee, which saw its casting of Alan Paule and Joy Viado as "not suitable to the material."  

Reyes's entry, which would have been his first full-length film, is about an OFW who comes back to Manila as an FX driver in search for his long lost love.  

MNL 143 will be replaced by Gino Santos' entry, The Animals, a film that studies the lifestyle of society's elite.  

In a letter addressed to MNL 143 producer Nestor Abrogena dated February 27, 2012, Cinemalaya's Competition Chairperson Laurice Guillen Feleo wrote:  

"Following consultations on your entry between Mr. Emerson Reyes and Monitoring Head, Mr. Robbie Tan, we were informed that you were fixed on the original casting of your two leads, which we had pointed out were not suitable to the material.  

"There is never any directive given to the finalists on who to cast—only our guideline as to how to cast. The basis of our interest in casting is that we want competence, suitability to the role, and greater audience acceptability.  

"In our briefing, it was emphasized to the finalists that all requirements that are to be submitted for the corresponding grant releases will have to be approved and accepted before any fund release is to be made. This is also provided for in our MOA.  

"We have always treated our finalists as partners, and as such, mutually look out for what is best for each project. But in the case of MNL 143, not heeding Cinemalaya's advice shows a one-sided effort—only on our part—to achieve our objectives.

"Constrained therefore by a conflict of interest and by the provision in the MOA, the Cinemalaya Organizing Committee collegially decided on February 8, 2012 to exercise its prerogative and disqualify your entry from competition."

When PEP.ph (Philippine Entertainment Portal) contacted MNL 143 director Emerson Reyes regarding this issue, he sent an email stating:

"The papers are with Atty. Chel Diokno na po...And I was advised not to talk muna po regarding the issue. Will update you po. Thanks."  

In a separate phone interview, Direk Emerson admitted: "Itutuloy ko po ang film."

WHY MNL 143 WAS DISQUALIFIED. To expound on the committee's decision to disqualify MNL 143 from the film competition, PEP.ph contacted Cinemalaya Monitoring Head Robbie Tan.  

In an exclusive interview last Saturday, February 25, 2012, at Starbucks Corinthian Hills, Quezon City, the veteran film producer explained why the screening body did not favor the original casting of the said entry.  

"We did not like his casting... We believe na hindi magwu-work."

According to Tan, the pairing of Alan Paule and Joy Viado, considering the premise of the film—a man in search of his long lost love—will not work.  

"So, dun sa aspect na yun, may romance angle, di ba?" says Tan.  

"'Pag may romance angle, at least, kahit papaano, importante yung chemistry nung dalawang artista.  

"So, dapat yung chemistry nun, dapat magwu-work."  

Wow chemistry daw...this is Cinemalaya not MMFF>:(

« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012 at 03:29 PM by keating »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Cinemalaya 2012
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 06:54 PM »
Bakit may say yung mga organizers sa casting? Isn't that the sole responsibility of the director and other people involved in the actual making of the film?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012 at 07:30 PM »
As far as I know walang say talaga ang organizers dun when it comes to casting. I think Mr. Tan is abusing his power as one of the committee.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 07:38 AM »
Oggsmoggs resigned as one of the members of the committee recently.

Wise decision if you ask me.

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 09:30 AM »
Oggsmoggs resigned as one of the members of the committee recently.

Wise decision if you ask me.

Kasi naman may show na  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 03:46 PM »
May show na si oggs? :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 03:57 PM »
Kasi naman may show na  ;D

Nah, hindi na masikmura ang Cinemalala, er, Cinemalaya.... ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2012 at 08:11 PM »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM »
So no more Cinemalaya? What are we left with, MMFF?

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1236
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2012 at 09:33 AM »
Cinemalaya 2012 will run from July 20-29 at the CCP and July 21-29 at Greenbelt and TriNoma.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2012 at 05:39 PM »
This is my first Cinemalaya movie:

Kamera Obskura (Raymond Red) *** - Silent-era Filipino films like with most silent-era films from tropical countries are all practically lost. This film is basically a silent Filipino film made to look it was made in that era. It's about a man after being trapped in a cell for a long time emerges to find himself in a retro-future and is given a special camera that zaps people into obscurity. The film starts out very promisingly with a lots of interesting steam punk-esque visuals, following the rhythm, pace and even film scratches of a silent-era film. Then unfortunately becomes a tad preachy and ultimately goes nowhere. But still, it's an extremely creative, endlessly fascinating piece of work.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2012 at 06:01 PM »
The bad weather prevented me from going to the CCP this weekend. But will try to catch the films this week.

Mes de Guzman's DIABLO so far is getting rave reviews.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 467
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 04:13 PM »
meanwhile, Robbie Tan set to resign from Cinemalaya
http://entertainment.inquirer.net/51535/robbie-tan-set-to-quit-cinemalaya

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 08:42 PM »
Checked out some shorts today:

As He Sleeps (Sheron Dayoc) *** - A wife dutifully cares for her paralyzed husband. An interesting, almost wordless film that features a pretty damn good performance by Sue Prado. It says volumes about marriage with barely any dialogue.

Balintuna (Irony) (Emmanuel Escalona Jr.) **- Two young boys', one a thief, the other a superhero fan fates intertwined. The title is "irony" but I don't get the "irony" of it. The boys' performances are very natural and there are some nifty editing and music but this one didn't work for me.

Bohe: Sons of the Waves (Nadjoua Bansil) **1/2 - Five Badjao (Filipinos who reside in the Southern part of the Philippines, usually near water) boys learn about the importance of mangroves. A potentially fascinating subject matter and it has its moments but it seems to lack a bit of focus.

The Passenger (Max Celada) ***1/2 - They saved the two best for last. This one is about an old lady in a passenger jeepney who keeps prattling and ranting about all sorts of subject matter to her fellow passengers. I have to say while watching this I can't help but think that the writer-director must have based this on personal experience. It's quite funny.

Victor (Jarrell M. Serencio) ***1/2 - I'll throw a bit of warning: I happen to know the guy who made this and a couple of friends of mine are also involved in the production but I'm gonna review this as objectively as possible. This is a rather exemplary film. Is it narrative? Is it a documentary? It sort of blurs the line. It's about a man who every year plays Jesus in a recreation of the passion and death of Jesus Christ and LITERALLY gets himself nailed to the cross. Tougher to watch than The Passion of the Christ (the nails are REAL)  and also has more to say about religion and spiritually than that film.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM »
The current box-office hit at the Cinemalaya, Jun Lana's BWAKAW is dramedy at its finest. Manoy's best performance to date.

The sequence where the coffin was being delivered at midnight brings down the house at the CCP!

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 09:58 AM »
NEW BREED

...Best Film: Diablo by Mes de Guzman
...Special Jury Prize: REquieme! by Loy Arcenas
...Audience Choice: Ang Nawawala by Marie Jamora
...NETPAC Award: Diablo by Mes de Guzman
...Best Director: Mes de Guzman for Diablo
...Best Actress: Ama Quiambao for Diablo
...Best Actor: Kristoffer King for Oros
...Best Supporting Actress: Anita Linda for Sta. Niña
...Best Supporting Actor: Joross Gamboa for Intoy Syokoy ng Kalye Marino
...Best Screenplay: Rody Vera for REquieme!
...Best Cinematography: Tristan Salas for Diablo
...Best Production Design: Benjamin Payumo for Intoy Syokoy ng Kalye Marino
...Best Editing: John Wong and Rona delos Reyes for The Animals
...Best Original Music Score: Mikey Amistoso, Diego Mapa, and Jazz Nicolas for Ang Nawawala
...Best Sound: Albert Michael Idioma for Aparisyon

DIRECTOR'S SHOWCASE

...Best Film: Posas by Lawrence Fajardo
...Special Jury Prize: Kamera Obskura by Raymond Red
...Audience Choice: Bwakaw by Jun Lana
...NETPAC Award: Bwakaw by Jun Lana
...Best Director: Raymond Red for Kamera Obskura
...Best Ensemble: Judy Ann Santos, Agot Isidro, Iza Calzado and Janice de Belen for Mga Mumunting Lihim
...Best Actor: Eddie Garcia for Bwakaw
...Best Supporting Actor: Art Acuña for Posas
...Best Screenplay: Jose Javier Reyes for Mga Mumunting Lihim
...Best Cinematography: Albert Banzon for Kalayaan
...Best Production Design: Adolfo Alix Jr. for Kalayaan
...Best Editing: Vanessa de Leon for Mga Mumunting Lihim
...Best Original Musical Score: Diwa de Leon for Kamera Obskura
...Best Sound: Ditoy Aguila Kalayaan

SHORT FEATURE

...Best Film: Victor by Jarell Serencio
...Special Jury Prize: Manenaya by Richard Legaspi
...Audience Choice: Ruweda by Hannah Espia
...Best Director: Sheron Dayoc for As He Sleeps
...Best Screenplay: Sigrid Andrea Bernardo for Ang Paghihintay sa Bulong

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM »
Mes De Guzman's DIABLO elevated Phil. Cinema to a higher level. Flawless technical craftmanship and great performance especially from Ms. Ama Quiambao. A well-deserved Best Actress plum.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM »
Yay for Victor;D Yeah, I'm a bit biased because I know the people who made it personally but it is a great short film!

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2012 at 09:09 AM »

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2012 at 06:15 PM »
Bwakaw is PH's official entry to the Oscars! This is the 4th Cinemalaya film to become PH's Oscar entry after Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros (2006), Donsol (2007) and Ang Babae sa Septic Tank (2011)!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2012 at 07:20 PM »
I'm kicking myself for not being able to catch a screening.  :-\

I would say we have decent-ish shot based on the very good reviews plus the fact that the story will resonate with the older members of the Academy.

Offline geckoph

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2012 at 07:24 PM »
Entries released commercially, so far...

Posas by Jeffrey Jeturian;
Mga Mumunting Lihim by Jose Javier Reyes;
Bwakaw by Jun Lana; and
Ang Nawawala (What Isn’t There) by Marietta “Marie” Jamora.

Opening soon...

Santa Nina by Emmanuel Palo -- September 26...
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012 at 07:27 PM by geckoph »

Offline hung up 25

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 12:52 AM »
any info re the commercial release of the animals, requieme and diablo?

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 06:53 PM »
Time lists Bwakaw as one of top 10 must-watch films
Yahoo! Southeast Asia Newsroom
October 1, 2012

Jun Robles Lana’s Bwakaw, the Philippines’ entry to the Best Foreign Language Film category in next year’s Oscars, has added another feather to its well-decorated cap. It made it to Time Magazine’s list of ten must-watch films at the New York Film Festival.

“Bwakaw” joins a list of prestigious must-watch films, including  Ang Lee’s ”Life of Pi”, “Amour,”  which won the  Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival this year and “Caesar Must Die”, which took home the Golden Bear at the 2012 Berlin Film Festival.

Bwakaw is a dramedy that tells the story of a man (Eddie Garcia) who deals with his sexuality while learning how to cope with growing old alone.

Lana is en route to New York for the ongoing festival being ran by the Film Society of Lincoln Center. His next stops are Hawaii and Japan.

Bwakaw was also shown in Toronto.

Lana said Bwakaw, a  critically and commercially successful entry at the 2012 Cinemalaya film festival,  is a tribute to his writing mentor, the late Jun Lana.

It also stars Armida Siguion-Reyna, Rez Cortez, Soxie Topacio and others.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 10:09 PM »
Nathaniel Rogers of The Film Experience gives it a good review.

He's an internet Oscar predictor and he's predicting Bwakaw has an outside chance to actually get in.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 06:41 AM »
‘Bwakaw’ Becomes Fifth Top Tier Contender in Oscar Prediction Site
Manila Bulletin – Nov 19, 2012

Things continue to look up for the Jun Lana-helmed independent film ''Bwakaw,'' the Philippines' official entry to the Best Foreign Feature Film category of the 85th Academy Awards (Oscar) next year, as it has climbed a notch from sixth last month to fifth place as of today in the leading Oscar prediction site, Awards Circuit.

''Bwakaw'' is the sole Asian film to be included in Awards Circuit's top five, with the other four coming from European countries. These are ''Amour'' (Austria), ''The Intouchables'' (France), ''A Royal Affair'' (Denmark), and ''Beyond the Hills'' (Romania).

''Barbara,'' Germany's official entry that previously occupied the top five slot, now sits in sixth place. Meanwhile, two other Asian films have also been able to make it to the predictions list's 15 Top Tier Contenders, namely Israel's ''Fill the Void'' and South Korea's ''Pieta.''

On the other hand, international trade magazine The Hollywood Reporter named ''Bwakaw'' as one of the 10 ''major threats'' to its five ''front-runners'' under the Foreign Feature category in its own prediction list published online last Oct. 28.

A total of 71 films have already been shortlisted under aforementioned category. The titles of the final five contenders will be announced on Jan. 10, and the winner will be crowned during the awards ceremony on Feb. 24.

Offline patrick_bateman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 06:11 PM »
fitting career highlight for Eddie Garcia