Author Topic: WD TV Live Streaming  (Read 64047 times)

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: WD TV Live Streaming
« Reply #210 on: Apr 15, 2015 at 08:47 PM »
@ sir barrister yes po same unit nung reply no 189 yung unit ko,downloaded po yung crystal disk info.good health status naman po (naka blue indicator)
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2015 at 09:03 PM by jhelenz »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #211 on: Apr 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM »
The one I'm very used to is the 2011 Gen 3.  Too bad I'm not familiar with the 2014 Gen 4.

I recommend searching for solutions on the WD Community: http://community.wd.com/

I tried searching for you, and this is what I came up with:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/WD-TV-Live-stops-playing-files/m-p/830178/highlight/true#M34370

See message 7 on that page (by user Techflaws).  You seem to be having his bug #3:

playing any proper file right after bootup results in "Unable to play selected file. Please see the User Manual for a list of supported formats".
This bug seems to have been introduced with the 2.x firmware and is also present on the current WD TV. It's not reproducible but it appears to be connected to the TV not being tuned to the WDTV during boot
solution: powercycle or apply KAD79's
reset everything script.

Click the link to KAD79's "reset everything" so that you can do a true full reset. 

I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2015 at 08:12 AM by barrister »

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #212 on: Apr 17, 2015 at 08:44 AM »
pa help naman po,ilang beses na nangyari sa wd tv live ko.when i try to play any movie file lumalabas sa screen "cannot play the movie file,pls refer to the user manual for list of movie file".what i did is device reset,then ok na.kaya lang mga 3 times na nangyari sa wd tv ko yun.under warranty pa naman.should i ask for a replacement or ordinary lang na nangyayari yun sa new model of wd tv?di ko pa na update yung fw by the way.tia

Powercycle mo lang yun WDTV Liv,  and that should fix the problem. I encounter that issue once in a while.

Offline jhelenz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Apr 18, 2015 at 10:45 PM »
Powercycle mo lang yun WDTV Liv,  and that should fix the problem. I encounter that issue once in a while.
paano po i powercycle yung wdtv live sir?thanks

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #214 on: Apr 19, 2015 at 06:46 AM »
paano po i powercycle yung wdtv live sir?thanks
Long press sa power button should work. Then turn it back on after 2 minutes. Or simply unplug it for 2 minutes.

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2015 at 11:11 AM »
Have a few questions on the latest WD player:

1. Can it read BD movies and menus?
2. How about .iso files?
3. What can an Egreat S800 do that the latest WD cant, and/or vice versa?
4. All audio movie formats (DTS, DD, DTS HD, DTS HDSMA and etc) can be played and passed through my Yammy 573 via HDMI?
5. How does WD Live Streaming differ and compare with the latest WD TV?

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015 at 05:48 PM by egzbuen »

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2015 at 05:49 PM »
And, just a follow up question:

I have read several (but old) forum posts and articles saying the four bay probox does not work well with the WD media player. It only detects the HDD on the first bay.

Is this issue still true for the current and latest generation of the WD TV? I am planning to get this already but if my existing Probox 4bay wont work, I would have to look for another brand of player sadly.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2015 at 10:29 AM »
And, just a follow up question:

I have read several (but old) forum posts and articles saying the four bay probox does not work well with the WD media player. It only detects the HDD on the first bay.

Is this issue still true for the current and latest generation of the WD TV? I am planning to get this already but if my existing Probox 4bay wont work, I would have to look for another brand of player sadly.

Anyone who can shed light on this query?

Thanks.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2015 at 10:32 PM »
Re-posting here my query at the WD community forum as some of you might be able to help.

As some of you may remember, I was researching on the WD TV as to wether it would be compatible with a 4-bay enclsoure such as the probox. This was the thread I started back then:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/WD-TV-compatibility-with-Probox-4-Bay-Enclosure/td-p/8...

Unfortunantely, I never got a concerte answer if it was compatible or not so I jumped the gun and bought a WD TV last week. To be sure, I brought along my Probox 4 bay enclosure to test.

At the shop. we tested it and, to my surpise, it worked. It detected all 4 x 4TB HDDs installed in my Probox. Without even thinking more, I bought the WD TV and brought it home. It worked for a few days until I decided to laod new media files on the HDDs. I ejected each drive one by one and installed them in my desktop. Trasnferred files and then slapped it back on the Probox. To my utter dismay, it no longer detected any single drive. I tried all sorts of configuration, switching each HDD from its respective slots, tried combos of only 1, 2, and 3 HDDs only but nothing. When you attach the enclosure, the WD TV identifies it and gives the "connecting to USB..." notification but it doesnt show any of the drives.

I already tried reformating, scanning for erros and/or bad sectors. I tried taking out the .wdtv folder already but, sad to say, nothing.

To make sure and rule out any other problems, I tried each and every HDD with my PC. I also tried the enclosure with my PC and my laptop, no sweat, detected each and every HDD. I then tried a USB thumb drive and my portable HDD with my WD TV and it worked like a charm.

Now, if the Probox isnt compatible with the WD TV, why did it work for the first few days? If its compatible, what seems to be wrong with my setup.

Any advise or throughts would be much appreciated. I literally spent two days testing each and every possible problem to no avail and it is quite frustrating.

Frustrated and disappointed WD TV new owner.

Offline jhelenz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM »
na try nyo na po ireset device?switching from usb inputs on the device?

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: May 22, 2015 at 11:22 PM »
na try nyo na po ireset device?switching from usb inputs on the device?

Yup, tried both re-starting and re-setting to factory default. Tried USB thumb drive, WD external portable drive and other USB device, all detected. Only the Probox isn't being detected.

Offline backdraft

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #221 on: May 22, 2015 at 11:25 PM »
^ Did you try updating the wdtv's firmware? Might be worth to try sir.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: May 22, 2015 at 11:33 PM »
^ Did you try updating the wdtv's firmware? Might be worth to try sir.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I updated the unit to the latest FW to.  In fact, that was the first thing I did with the unit before attaching any external device.

Offline backdraft

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: May 22, 2015 at 11:52 PM »
Have you tried connecting the probox to another usb input of the wdtv?

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2015 at 12:02 AM »
Have you tried connecting the probox to another usb input of the wdtv?

Yup, tried both front and rear USB ports. Upon booting WD TV, it only says l connecting to USB device " but it won't show any HDD either at the video section or at the disk mgmt section.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I updated the unit to the latest FW to.  In fact, that was the first thing I did with the unit before attaching any external device.

If you're already on the latest firmware, try a rollback to the one that is 2nd latest.  You will need a USB thumb drive.

If your unit is a 2011 Gen. 3 WDTV SMP, that's 2.01.86.  If 2014 Gen. 4 WDTV Media Player, that's 1.01.30:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM by barrister »

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM »
If you're already on the latest firmware, try a rollback to the one that is 2nd latest.  You will need a USB thumb drive.

If your unit is a 2011 Gen. 3 WDTV SMP, that's 2.01.86.  If 2014 Gen. 4 WDTV Media Player, that's 1.01.30:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

Thanks Barrister. Will try to do that.

It just made me think, why it worked for the first few days but not after I added media to the HDDs. To my mind, if it worked the first time around with the latest FW, then it should work. Be that as it may, will try as well your suggestion buddy.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2015 at 04:40 PM »

I've read about a similar "connecting to USB" problem that was solved by replacing the USB cable.

It was only a single external HDD via USB, not a multi-bay enclosure, but the principle should be the same, in case the USB cable is the source of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015 at 04:40 PM by barrister »

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2015 at 09:30 AM »

I've read about a similar "connecting to USB" problem that was solved by replacing the USB cable.

It was only a single external HDD via USB, not a multi-bay enclosure, but the principle should be the same, in case the USB cable is the source of the problem.

Noted on that one. Will check that out as well should rolling back of firmware won't work. I'll do the rolling back this afternoon.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Jun 15, 2015 at 10:00 AM »
Just to update everyone, the Probox is working now with the 4th gen WD TV. What I did was to roll back the firmware.

Offline ngek2x

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #230 on: Jul 15, 2015 at 04:35 PM »
May option po ba si WDTV to download subtitles?

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #231 on: Aug 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM »
Here's a story for you guys, and maybe you can even help me out with some of my questions as well, to sum up my complete setup, I have 2 WD players, like the ones shown above, I have a WD TV Live Gen 2, and a WD TV Live streaming Gen 3, I am only using the G3 sa current setup ko, pa-simplehin na na lang natin, sabihin na lang natin na 2 external hard drive ang nakasaksak sa mga USB ports nya, both hard drives are 3TB, partitioned to 1.5TB each dahil alam kong hindi kayang basahin ng WD ang over 2TB...
Both HD are WD My Book Essentials, now the fun begins...

One of the hard drives is already full, kaya hindi ko na sya ginagalaw, however yung isang HD ko ay may kaunti pang space, and duon ko inilalagay ang mga latest copies ng movies, but somehow, nabubulag madalas ang G3 at hindi nya nakikita ang bagong lipat na files, kahit pa burahin ko na ang wdtv ini file, minsan, I had to reset the whole system a couple of times, sometimes more, bago basahin ang folder, sometimes, its helps kung iclear muna ang media library, though I always set it sa OFF para mas  mabilis maiload ang files. But again, sometimes, hindi pa rin makuha at I had to factory reset it again ng ilang beses.

Now, dahil natutunan ko kay Atty. Barrister na pwede na palang gamitan ng USB hub ang G3, I installed one, and bought an extra 2TB (same kind, WD My Book Essential), plugged it in agad, wala ng format format pa, basta lagay lang agad ng movie, VOILA, walang sablay sa mga unang files, binasa at naiplay pa,... connection now is like this, all 3 hard drives are connected to the USB hub, so may libre akong isang USB port ulit. Eto na, nang maglagay na ng ini file ang WD sa bagong hard drive, and I have to put in a new file, todas,..! Ayaw na ulit basahin ang file, worse, ayaw na rin basahin ang hard drive na bago,... Maghapon na akong nagrereset, lintek, hindi na makita ang hard drive,..

A few months back, natatandaan ko nuon na may isang movie file ako na kahit ano gawin ko ay hindi binasa ng G3, as in lahat nagawa ko, so what I did then tinanggal ko sa G3 ang hard drive na yun at sa G2 ko isinaksak, hindi rin binasa, pero ng ibalik ko sa G3 ang hard drive, nagulat ako at biglang lumitaw ang album art nya, meaning binasa na sya ng player, so ganun ang ginawa ko, tinanggal ko ang hard drive sa G3, saksak sa G2, kahit hindi lumilitaw ang hard drive, or kahit hindi lumilitaw ang file, basta masaksak lang sya, after that, balik na sa G3 ang hard drive, and to my surprise, binasa at lumitaw lahat ng bagong files,...

So, I learned one thing, ang ginagawa ko ngayon, may flash drive ako na 128GB, duon ko muna ilalagay ang movie file, then buburahin ko ang wdtv ini file sa flash drive, isasaksak ko muna sya sa G2 saka ko pa lang sya ilalagay sa G3, dahil pag hindi ko ginawa yun, hindi sya nakikita ng G3, but eversince na ginawa ko ito, na dumadaan muna ako sa G2, then saka pa lang sa G3, wala kong nakitang problema, dun ko na lang din pinapadaan ang pag-copy ng files papunta sa 2TB na HD,...

I called WD tech support PLENTY of times to inquire, hindi rin nila masagot kung bakit hindi basta copy file, plug and play ang mga files sa G3, all they advise is the SOP na factory reset or firmware upgrade, but other than that, they have no idea whatsoever,...

So, any idea why,...?

Cheers,...
ABC

Well just out of curiousity, I bought a WD TV, the latest version with an installed firmware ver. 1.02.17

With my Gen 3, it can somehow play REMUX FILES, but sometimes may stutter and crashing lalo pag lumalagpas na ng 30gb ang file size,... So I decided to do some research kung ano ang pwede ipalit sa kanya, kaya lang halos lahat na pala ng media player ngayon ay ANDROID na ang OS, hindi kasi ako sanay sa interface ng mga android.

So I ended up with the newest WD TV, and I LOVE THIS small player, lahat ng file ay kayang kayang iplay ng walang sabit. Kahit pa malalaki ang mga files na ilagay sa kanya.

Hindi ko pa lang nasusubukan kung gaano kalaki ang HD na kaya nyang basahin.

And like my previous post, I still plugged in the HD muna sa WDTV Live (Gen 2) ko, bago ko isaksak sa bagong player, parang mas madaling nakikita ng player ang WD INI file na galing muna sa Gen 2 kesa saksak sa kanya agad ang HD...

I would never recommend any other player than the WD TV,...

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #232 on: Aug 10, 2015 at 11:26 PM »
Well just out of curiousity, I bought a WD TV, the latest version with an installed firmware ver. 1.02.17

With my Gen 3, it can somehow play REMUX FILES, but sometimes may stutter and crashing lalo pag lumalagpas na ng 30gb ang file size,... So I decided to do some research kung ano ang pwede ipalit sa kanya, kaya lang halos lahat na pala ng media player ngayon ay ANDROID na ang OS, hindi kasi ako sanay sa interface ng mga android.

So I ended up with the newest WD TV, and I LOVE THIS small player, lahat ng file ay kayang kayang iplay ng walang sabit. Kahit pa malalaki ang mga files na ilagay sa kanya.

Hindi ko pa lang nasusubukan kung gaano kalaki ang HD na kaya nyang basahin.

And like my previous post, I still plugged in the HD muna sa WDTV Live (Gen 2) ko, bago ko isaksak sa bagong player, parang mas madaling nakikita ng player ang WD INI file na galing muna sa Gen 2 kesa saksak sa kanya agad ang HD...

I would never recommend any other player than the WD TV,...

ganda nga wdtv.. ang problem lamg napagiwanan na sya.. walang auto dl subs, dunno if it can read iso or full bd. and walang 3d support. sayang. the moment ilabas lahat nyan ng wdtv.. bilhin ko agad yan!

Offline backdraft

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Aug 10, 2015 at 11:28 PM »

my only gripe with the wdtv is ang bagal pa din nya magbasa. it really needs a proc and memory upgrade.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Aug 11, 2015 at 01:18 AM »
Waxx wala akong problema sa iso files na malalaki, also reliant ba sa player ang 3D function,..?
Kasi ang ganda ng 3D na napapanuod ko sa TV, and WD rin ang nagpe-play ng content,...

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #235 on: Aug 11, 2015 at 08:02 AM »
Waxx wala akong problema sa iso files na malalaki, also reliant ba sa player ang 3D function,..?
Kasi ang ganda ng 3D na napapanuod ko sa TV, and WD rin ang nagpe-play ng content,...

hmmmm minsan kasi may mga iso ako na 3d, pero gusto ko panoorin in 2d. and vice versa. before tanda ko di ata support ng wdtv live so napilitan ako mag halfgrade... pero lately napansin ko di naman ako masyado nanonood ng 3d narin. hahaha.. yung auto download subtitles nalang ang kulang...

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Aug 11, 2015 at 11:11 AM »
Masyado na nga akong huli, ngayon ko lang napaglalaruan ang 3D feature ng TV, kung kelan mukhang malapit na rin yatang alisin hehehe

But seriously, maganda na ang performance ng bagong WD TV, walang arte ang interface, and for a fraction of the price ng ibang brand sa market di ba... Sulit na rin talaga...
Oh and binabasa nya ang 4 na hard drive na naka-plug sa isang USB hub, subukan ko lang humanap ng 5tb na drive para malaman ko kung babasahin rin nya...

Regards sir...

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Aug 11, 2015 at 11:15 AM »
my only gripe with the wdtv is ang bagal pa din nya magbasa. it really needs a proc and memory upgrade.

Same here. I have a Probox with 4 x 4TB attached to it and every time I turn the WDTV on, it always re-compiles the media library even though I haven't changed anything with the drives nor have I disconnected them.

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Aug 11, 2015 at 01:15 PM »
Same here. I have a Probox with 4 x 4TB attached to it and every time I turn the WDTV on, it always re-compiles the media library even though I haven't changed anything with the drives nor have I disconnected them.

That used to happen to me before,
laging inilo-load ang album art, though my walkaround that problem is pinapaload ko muna ang mga hard drive ko sa lumang WDTV Live ko (1.06.16), once maicompile na nya ang library,
tuloy na ang load ng images sa WDTV, kaya hindi ko pinamigay ang 2 WDTV Live ko, mainam ng may backup loader ako,...

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2143
« Reply #239 on: Sep 30, 2015 at 04:22 PM »
Ask ko lang kung kaya bang mag read ng 4TB external HD itong unit?
Gamit ko kse 3TB kaya lang kulang na :-). Kung kaya 4TB yun na next bibilhin ko.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd