Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 986548 times)

Offline megabyte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Who Am I?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Surplus amps
« Reply #30 on: Aug 27, 2003 at 04:15 PM »
dre,

May nakita ba kayong surplus na A/V receivers doon?  puro yata prologic lang ang nandoon eh.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2003 at 05:30 PM »
went to cardinal audio in virra mall...they are selling a used yamaha mx1 for 26k. though I doubt this amp runs in pure class A judging from the construction, I don't doubt its power handling capabilities. Its pretty hefty for its size so I could only come to an impression that this has a hefty power supply. Just a thought if you find an mx1 in pier  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2003 at 05:31 PM by john5479 »

Offline shine

• Collector
  • If the enemy is within reach, so are you
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2003 at 05:37 PM »
Dati may nakita ako niyan, last year siguro, kasabayan nung Yamaha NS1000M na speaker na nakuha ko. Di ko masyadong pinansin kasi di ko pa kilala. sayang nga eh.

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 28, 2003 at 09:38 AM »
class A amplifiers have much higher power consumption. Ex., a 120w X 2ch. amp. usually have a power consumption of almost 1000w. i got a 60w x 2ch. class A amplifier and it consumes 500watts of power.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re:Surplus amps shootout part 3
« Reply #34 on: Aug 29, 2003 at 01:31 PM »
45mm, magkano mo na i-score yung yamaha NS1000 speakers mo?  magkano din binebenta yung MX1 sa pier dati?  pa-pm na lang po, thanks!

Offline shine

• Collector
  • If the enemy is within reach, so are you
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Aug 29, 2003 at 05:25 PM »
sent you pm akyatbundok.

Offline instinct311

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Wala lang!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 02, 2003 at 09:29 AM »
sent u a pm akyatbundok

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 02, 2003 at 04:31 PM »
Dati may nakita ako niyan, last year siguro, kasabayan nung Yamaha NS1000M na speaker na nakuha ko. Di ko masyadong pinansin kasi di ko pa kilala. sayang nga eh.

oks yun nakita mo bro, yamaha mx-1 & ns-1000 are both to die for at that price.

Offline johnlen

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 02, 2003 at 05:54 PM »
Hi guys,

I own a used (but in mint condition) Yamaha MX-1 power amp. Got it for a hefty P45k. No I do not have lots of bucks but that is how much I yearn for this amp so talagang pinag-ipunan ko!

I came to know this guy in one of the hi-fi net forums who happens to be married to a Filipina. He was once a sales manager in one of a high end hi-fi store in New York City and was able to own several highly priced esoteric amps until he got to hear the MX-1 and he never changed amp since then. He was the one who persuaded me to buy the amp and I am glad I did.

The Yamaha MX-1 is a legend like the NS1000 speaker as these units were made only in limited quantities. Just to give you an idea on how beautiful this amp sounds – read on:

1. The MX-1 can easily pump 1000W into 1ohm other well-known hi-end brands will be choking at this point. Most other brands would not even recommend a load of 2ohms.

2. MX-1 employs C-Core twin 700VA(1.5Kva total) transformers. It is dual mono design and in pure Class A operation.

3. The MX-1 has 4 massive capacitors totaling 10000 Pico farads of capacitance and ten audiophile grade MOSFET (not bi-polar) transistors per channel.

4. The MX-1 has two 700VA transformers, which form the major portion its weight at 24 kg!

5. The MX-1 has a distortion figure of .008% THD at 1KHz, and an SNR of 125dB. With super fast slew rate and a high damping factor of over 350, you get an exceptionally fast, high resolution amplifier which makes complicated things like guitar strings come alive. Most amplifiers, even the so-called audiophile ones fail in this litmus test.

6. Maximum power consumption is at 1,950 watts (patay kang bata ka pag dating ng Meralco bill).

All these boil down to one thing – a sweet natural sounding amplifier with enough reserve power to handle even the most demanding musical load.

Those who may or have stumbled upon this particular unit might want to audition it and then get back at me to disprove what I have written here!

Listen to it – and if you like what you hear do not hesitate to buy it, it is a treadure!  

Offline camotecue

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 03, 2003 at 04:52 PM »
akyat bundok,
 sent u a pm.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 03, 2003 at 06:37 PM »
Hi guys,

I own a used (but in mint condition) Yamaha MX-1 power amp. Got it for a hefty P45k. No I do not have lots of bucks but that is how much I yearn for this amp so talagang pinag-ipunan ko!

I came to know this guy in one of the hi-fi net forums who happens to be married to a Filipina. He was once a sales manager in one of a high end hi-fi store in New York City and was able to own several highly priced esoteric amps until he got to hear the MX-1 and he never changed amp since then. He was the one who persuaded me to buy the amp and I am glad I did.

The Yamaha MX-1 is a legend like the NS1000 speaker as these units were made only in limited quantities. Just to give you an idea on how beautiful this amp sounds – read on:

1. The MX-1 can easily pump 1000W into 1ohm other well-known hi-end brands will be choking at this point. Most other brands would not even recommend a load of 2ohms.

2. MX-1 employs C-Core twin 700VA(1.5Kva total) transformers. It is dual mono design and in pure Class A operation.

3. The MX-1 has 4 massive capacitors totaling 10000 Pico farads of capacitance and ten audiophile grade MOSFET (not bi-polar) transistors per channel.

4. The MX-1 has two 700VA transformers, which form the major portion its weight at 24 kg!

5. The MX-1 has a distortion figure of .008% THD at 1KHz, and an SNR of 125dB. With super fast slew rate and a high damping factor of over 350, you get an exceptionally fast, high resolution amplifier which makes complicated things like guitar strings come alive. Most amplifiers, even the so-called audiophile ones fail in this litmus test.

6. Maximum power consumption is at 1,950 watts (patay kang bata ka pag dating ng Meralco bill).

All these boil down to one thing – a sweet natural sounding amplifier with enough reserve power to handle even the most demanding musical load.

Those who may or have stumbled upon this particular unit might want to audition it and then get back at me to disprove what I have written here!

Listen to it – and if you like what you hear do not hesitate to buy it, it is a treadure!  

so assuming this and based on the external appearance...then the heatsinks must be inside, but whether or not it is running on pure class a or not the important thing is the sound...dunno if the guy at cardinal audio would let me audition the amp.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 03, 2003 at 07:22 PM »
talk about muscle amp to the max.

dual 750VA transformers thats more than 4x my largest amp (350VA).

drooling...  :P

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: Sep 04, 2003 at 07:36 AM »
sir akyatbundok,

meron po bang md player sa pier? ty

Offline camotecue

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 04, 2003 at 08:32 AM »
akyat bundok,

i didnt receive ur pm.

Offline johnlen

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 04, 2003 at 09:06 AM »
so assuming this and based on the external appearance...then the heatsinks must be inside, but whether or not it is running on pure class a or not the important thing is the sound...dunno if the guy at cardinal audio would let me audition the amp.

sent you a PM!

Offline obey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #45 on: Sep 04, 2003 at 11:05 AM »
Hi guys!  I have a Nikko 9095 amp given to me by my uncle in the states in 1993.  I think it pumps out around 90W/ch.  Silver yung front finish niya pero wooden na yung nakapalibot.  I tried surfing the net pero I can't seem to find specs and reviews of this receiver.  All I know is that it was circa 1979.  

My amp very closely resembles the one found in the link below except that mine has a mic input with sliding volume/level control.  Medyo baliktad din yung location ng ibang knobs.  Other than that medyo pareho na talaga.

Balak ko kasi siya gamitin for a budget stereo setup.  I might buy a surplus CD player and use wharfedale diamond 8.1s.  Okay kaya itong amp na ito?  

http://www.jukn55.com/other-items-audio.html
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2003 at 12:07 PM by obey »

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 10:06 AM »
Are those surplus amps at the pier rated at 100 VAC?  If so, do they come with step-down transformers commensurate to the amp's power consumption requirement?  Thanks.

Offline jofkevski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 11:19 AM »
They do if you want, siyempre at addl price (normally 500). As to your previous question, some amp in pier has jumper at the back for pre-out/main-in. Tis means you can use them as separate amps. One of the amp still in pier is one of the famous marantz quartet-A technology - PM-74D model (about P4000) which is similar to Yamaha MX-1 in low-impedance capability. Di ko na kinuha because I like the NEC-A10II.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 01:29 PM »
eto ba yun jofkevski?  the NEC A-10II weighs a back-breaking 24kg!  this is due to its dual mono power amp section.  separate transformer and 4 large capacitors for each channel.  the original A-10 weighs 20kg.  a few years onwards and the A-10X weighs 31kg!  how does it sound sir?

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 02:15 PM »
a hefty power supply usually is an indicator of good sound. dapat yung stepdown transformer hefty din :)
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2003 at 02:16 PM by john5479 »

Offline jofkevski

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 02:20 PM »
Yes. I think I already shared this to you when I first published the URL of those amps you are now describing/sharing to other pinoydvd members sa YAMAHA thread.

The A-10II which employed FET components sounds big at it looks. very crisp highs on my 8.3, very brute bass, and like in every instrument sound - there seems to be a background of pure silence. I mean - parang individualized detail ang bawat sound. No hum and no hiss and pure silence when there is no passage of signal.

60wpc sa 8ohms, 80wpc on my 8.3 (6ohms). gets hot at 9 oclock but already sounds loud. If i switched separate, the sound is lower (in volume) dahil bypass na niya ang pre-amp (as if I inputted my source to MAIN-IN jack sa likod).

It is currently my music amp sa haybol ko. will not buy for now sa pier because A-10II is so good, unless I can see the model that I am waiting for (he he he). the XIIII kung lalabas man siya.

Only 200 A-10II were produced in japan, and was a sought after amp that time. Thanks for John5479 for a good lead to understand japongo. This gave me a lot of time to waste to understand fully my amp and its history.

Siyangapala, the behemoth XI is out in pier when I bought the A-10II. the fastest, sweet-sounding amp that ever came out of Japan - so they say, selling 7,500. So fast to its disadvantage, that it will oscillate at the drop of a hat - so they say again. The trick? power it on with headphone or speaker connected, or else, you will have a pop corn transistor inside the amp. he he he

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 05, 2003 at 07:38 PM »
may sub pre-out ba tong mga surplus amps? ::)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Sep 07, 2003 at 04:13 PM »
johndoe, i use REC-OUT to connect my sub, but better if your amp has PRE-OUTs so you have one master volume control.  since i sold my 5.1ch receiver and waiting for my new 6.1ch, i've been watching movies in glorious 2.1 channels.  i only miss rear effects but the sound is just as dynamic.  makes me wonder why we're adding more channels and reducing watts per channel rather than the other way around.

i got my 2nd luxman amp from isak0411 last friday.  bought it as soon as i saw it in the buy/sell section... it got sold in 2 hrs.  btw isak, nice cd collection bro.

it sounds just like my lower model luxman, but with more headroom in the power section.  i clobbered my older luxman during testing -- now it won't switch on!!  sayang... mukhang nagtampo sabi ni julsp.  that's the trade-off with buying surplus stuff; you take a risk because you don't really know its current condition; there's no warranty and you don't know how it really sounds until you bring it home.  that's also why they're priced so cheap!!  as long as the risk/price isn't too high, i'm game hehe.  i've had the onkyo for about 8 months now with no problem whatever i throw at it.

as for the sound of the luxman hybrids, i would describe them as sweet/natural, very detailed and slightly laid back.  it turns out my initial impression about the bass was wrong: its actually leaner compared to the much bigger onkyo & sony.  its a very good amp for intimate listening though.  with its detail/resolution at moderate volume it kills my other amps.  but i feel it wont do very well if i want to rock the house.  too revealing of bad recordings, w/c is 95% of what i have.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2003 at 01:56 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 12:59 PM »
anybody selling this 30 year old amp?

Accuphase E-202

5 out of 5 in 12 consumer reviews, some owning it for 24 - 30 years.

Quote: "I have listened to so many of the renowned "BIG BUCK" amplifiers over the years, that I can confidently state that this is one of the best, if not the best, amplifiers of all time.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2003 at 06:59 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline av_phile

• DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 01:39 PM »
Hi akyatbundok,

Seems you're collecting amps as a hobby.  Are you fascinated with the hardware or the sounds that come out of the hardware?  Just curious, how do you switch from one amp to another?

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 02:37 PM »
anybody selling this 30 year old amp?

Accuphase E-202

5 out of 5 in 12 consumer reviews, some owning it for 24 - 30 years.

"I have listened to so many of the renowned "BIG BUCK" amplifiers over the years, that I can confidently state that this is one of the best, if not the best, amplifiers of all time.

hehehe goodluck ;D haven't even seen an accuphase amp or integrated in pier :)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 02:45 PM »
hi av_phile, i still switch amps the hard way -- disconnect everything, then reconnect everything.

its the sound that fascinates me, how different amps have different characteristics.  i have this habit of gobbling things up when it becomes my flavor of the month.  at one point it was banana plugs -- i was trying everything i could get my hands on (that i could afford).  i was really looking for The One banana plug to use in all my speakers.  its kinda expensive to choose gear thru this "collect & select" method, so luckily i didnt try this with $$peaker$$.

i guess the same thing happened with amps.  didnt really plan on collecting, my original plan was to buy a bnew entry-level integrated amp with a budget of 15k.  but things changed when i got hold of my first surplus amp.  i didnt expect it to sound that good.  with 3.5k off my budget i still had money left to play with.  so while accompanying my friend jojo at the pier, i thought: with the money i had left, why not spend the rest of it on several amps, choose "The Ultimate One", and then sell off the rest to recover my cost.  so thats what i did... only problem is, i like 'em all, so i didnt get to do the last part... maybe someday.   ;D ;D ;D

in the process i learned alot about what kind of sound i like best.  for instance, one of my favorite vocal tracks gets presented 4 different ways, and i go back and forth trying to find out why they sounded different, and why i prefer one amp's presentation to another.  one instrument isnt too evident in one amp, yet it stands out in another.  bass quality is also different; one is well extended, but another is tighter.  they also seem to have different optimum volume level.  in a way im teaching my ears so that when im ready to spend a big amount of hard-earned moolah i would know how to choose.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2003 at 10:05 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline johnlen

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 03:11 PM »
Akyatbundok,

I have read in some audiophile forums that the Accuphase amps are not far to the sound quality of the Yamaha MX-1 power amp. I think you could not go wrong with Accuphase!

Someday if I have the money, I will go to pier and buy several good surplus amps just like you did. Sadly, the MX-1 purchase has put a strain on my budget : (  

Offline johndoe

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 05:32 PM »
guys,would you recommend any surplus amp..? ::)  planning to  buy one for music listening...
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2003 at 05:33 PM by johndoe »

Offline johnlen

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Sep 09, 2003 at 05:50 PM »
johndoe,

If you could still could find one, try to audition Yamaha MX-1 power amp among others.

Good luck!