Author Topic: Optoma HD33 (1800 ANSI Lumens, 1080p, True 3D, DLP)  (Read 35803 times)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Optoma HD33 (1800 ANSI Lumens, 1080p, True 3D, DLP)
« on: Jan 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM »

Key Features of HD33:
  • Bright at 1800 ANSI lumens and contrast ratio of 4000:1
  • True 1080p 2D/3D for Blu-ray and gaming consoles
  • Up to 300” screen size for large group viewing
  • Backlit IR remote control
  • Features Texas Instruments 1080p DLP® chipset
  • PureMotion image processing ensures smooth, judder-free images

Currently $1,499 online.  Not bad, considering the features are on par with far more expensive projectors.

Will this be available in the Philippines?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Optoma HD33 (1800 ANSI Lumens, 1080p, True 3D, DLP)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM »
Great features especially for table mounted PJs. Kaya lang kapag ceiling mounted, parang mahirap i-utilize.

just my dos centavoses.  :D

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 06:37 PM »
Great features especially for table mounted PJs. Kaya lang kapag ceiling mounted, parang mahirap i-utilize.

just my dos centavoses.  :D

Bakit po mahirap? Am interested sana in this projector.  My plan is to ceiling or rear wall mount. 

Offline joelsoldao

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • "Cute sa picture gwapo sa personal"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 06:43 PM »
Mahirap iset up pag nakawall mount kasi kailangan exact ung position nya. kung may lens shift madali lang.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 06:47 PM »
Bakit po mahirap? Am interested sana in this projector.  My plan is to ceiling or rear wall mount. 

Mahirap i-utilize ang mga features niya kapag ceiling mounted kasi paano mo ikakabit yun mga peripherals niya kapag nasa ceiling yun projector.

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 07:35 PM »
Mahirap i-utilize ang mga features niya kapag ceiling mounted kasi paano mo ikakabit yun mga peripherals niya kapag nasa ceiling yun projector.

Pwede naman cguro. Just plan out the wiring system.
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2012 at 09:31 PM »
Pwede naman cguro. Just plan out the wiring system.

Yup of course. pwede naman. Isabay na sa pag-install ng wiring yun mga connectors nun different peripherals.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 07:05 AM »
Mahirap iset up pag nakawall mount kasi kailangan exact ung position nya. kung may lens shift madali lang.

Too bad at walang lens shift feature. Kaya torn din ako between the Optoma HD33 and the Epson 8350 (non-3D but with lens shift).   Anyway, this is my HT room.  Maliit lang siya (3.56m ang front to rear wall distance).  Ceiling height is 9 ft.  Would I have a problem mounting it sa rear wall (projector is upside down)? The rear cabinet can easily be removed or repositioned to make way for the projector.  The blinds will also need to be replaced with heavy drapes to lessen ambient light (but we always watch movies at night so that it may not be an issue). I plan to use a 100" screen.  A single HDMI cable will run from the receiver which is on a rack at the front wall.  Initially, I was thinking of a double set-up (PJ and plasma), but if i do that, I will have to use a pull down or motorized screen in front of the plasma, which will decrease the rear wall to screen distance. 

Chart taken from Optoma HD33 manual

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2607
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 09:32 AM »
True 1080p 2D/3D for Blu-ray and gaming consoles

does this mean di na niya kelangan ng 3d coverter box?
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM »
Too bad at walang lens shift feature. Kaya torn din ako between the Optoma HD33 and the Epson 8350 (non-3D but with lens shift).   Anyway, this is my HT room.  Maliit lang siya (3.56m ang front to rear wall distance).  Ceiling height is 9 ft.  Would I have a problem mounting it sa rear wall (projector is upside down)? The rear cabinet can easily be removed or repositioned to make way for the projector.  The blinds will also need to be replaced with heavy drapes to lessen ambient light (but we always watch movies at night so that it may not be an issue). I plan to use a 100" screen.  A single HDMI cable will run from the receiver which is on a rack at the front wall.  Initially, I was thinking of a double set-up (PJ and plasma), but if i do that, I will have to use a pull down or motorized screen in front of the plasma, which will decrease the rear wall to screen distance.  

no. mine is wall mounted too using a DIY bracket. one advantage of wall mounting the PJ imho is that it is less prone to vibration since walls are usually sturdier than ceilings.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012 at 10:39 AM by pa3ck608 »
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM »
nice room!
plasma may take 4" of space sa front, and the loss of size for the motorized PJ screen to the PJ, you may need to check if acceptable. pero parang kaya ang 100" sa 3.56m, esp. for projectors an short throw.

HTH

Too bad at walang lens shift feature. Kaya torn din ako between the Optoma HD33 and the Epson 8350 (non-3D but with lens shift).   Anyway, this is my HT room.  Maliit lang siya (3.56m ang front to rear wall distance).  Ceiling height is 9 ft.  Would I have a problem mounting it sa rear wall (projector is upside down)? The rear cabinet can easily be removed or repositioned to make way for the projector.  The blinds will also need to be replaced with heavy drapes to lessen ambient light (but we always watch movies at night so that it may not be an issue). I plan to use a 100" screen.  A single HDMI cable will run from the receiver which is on a rack at the front wall.  Initially, I was thinking of a double set-up (PJ and plasma), but if i do that, I will have to use a pull down or motorized screen in front of the plasma, which will decrease the rear wall to screen distance. 

Chart taken from Optoma HD33 manual

toy

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 01:53 PM »
nice room!
plasma may take 4" of space sa front, and the loss of size for the motorized PJ screen to the PJ, you may need to check if acceptable. pero parang kaya ang 100" sa 3.56m, esp. for projectors an short throw.

HTH

Exactly what I'm thinking that's why I'm thinking of ditching the dual-display plan. Or I can use a smaller screen (90").  Baka rin kasi nakakalula ang 100" screen viewed from a short distance.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 02:10 PM »
no. mine is wall mounted too using a DIY bracket. one advantage of wall mounting the PJ imho is that it is less prone to vibration since walls are usually sturdier than ceilings.

Thanks for the input.  I have a couple more PJ newbie questions.
1) If rear wall-mounted ang PJ, gaano kaya kataas ang HD33 projector from the floor (basing it from the posted chart)?   Need to consider this din kasi para malaman kung aabot yung supplied 1.8m power cord sa voltage regulator na ilalagay ko sa floor below the projector.
2) When setting up the PJ and screen, what's the ideal screen position/height relative to eye level? 
3) may local support ba ang Optoma Projector sa Philippines?

To Verl Kint, I hope you don't mind me asking these questions on your thread since I'm really interested on this model.   Just want to make sure that I can use this PJ on my small room , considering it's limitations of not having lens shift feature and a meager 1.2X zoom.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 05:48 PM »
Exactly what I'm thinking that's why I'm thinking of ditching the dual-display plan. Or I can use a smaller screen (90").  Baka rin kasi nakakalula ang 100" screen viewed from a short distance.

Dual display is best handled by a receiver with 2 hdmi outs, ESP if you will ceiling mount it.
toy

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 06:26 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I have a couple more PJ newbie questions.
1) If rear wall-mounted ang PJ, gaano kaya kataas ang HD33 projector from the floor (basing it from the posted chart)?   Need to consider this din kasi para malaman kung aabot yung supplied 1.8m power cord sa voltage regulator na ilalagay ko sa floor below the projector.
2) When setting up the PJ and screen, what's the ideal screen position/height relative to eye level?  

mine is not optoma hd33, but what i did  was to position it in such a way as not to use the keystone as much as possible, to avoid jagged edges sa sides. so 50/50 ang keystone ko, which means hindi ko ginamit. so the height was low enough na centered to my viewing level when i'm seated (pj is around 6ft from the floor). madali lang yan, from the illustration, baliktarin mo lng yung concept kung ceiling/wall mounted.just have patience sa pag-measure before the actual setup. then project it to the wall before you install permanently the projector and screen.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2012 at 06:22 PM by pa3ck608 »
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 06:57 PM »

Sa una lang malaki tignan ang 90" vs 100". Pero yun 10" difference, super bale wala kapag nasa 90" na ang usapan. Though of course may better PQ ang 90", i would go for 100" na din.

Thanks for the input.  I have a couple more PJ newbie questions. 
3) may local support ba ang Optoma Projector sa Philippines?

Yes. Mine is Optoma. Ok din ang service nila, matagal lang and kinda pricey.

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 07:54 PM »
Yes. Mine is Optoma. Ok din ang service nila, matagal lang and kinda pricey.

Thanks Sir, that's nice to know.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012 at 08:01 PM by R1DVD »

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 08:00 PM »
mine is not optoma hd33, but what i did  was to position it in such a way as not to use the keystone as much as possible, to avoid jagged edges sa sides. so 50/50 ang keystone ko, which means hindi ko ginamit. so the height was low enough na centered to my viewing level when i'm sitted (pj is around 6ft from the floor). madali lang yan, from the illustration, baliktarin mo lng yung concept kung ceiling/wall mounted.just have patience sa pag-measure before the actual setup. then project it to the wall before you install permanently the projector and screen.

Thanks pa3ck608. Will take the needed measurements before deciding what PJ to get. 

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 08:02 PM »
does this mean di na niya kelangan ng 3d coverter box?
Sir Philip mukhang di na kailangan, quote from optoma website:

The projector supports all HDMI 1.4a mandatory 3D formats, side-by-side format and top and bottom format to allow users easy hook up with peripherals that can deliver 3D content. As a full 1080p, it supports all 1080 p formats natively without needing an Optoma 3D-XL box converter box. As with all 3D displays, a 3D source (such as a 3D Blu-ray player or gaming system), 3D content and 3D glasses are required for 3D viewing.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:28 AM »
mine is not optoma hd33, but what i did  was to position it in such a way as not to use the keystone as much as possible, to avoid jagged edges sa sides. so 50/50 ang keystone ko, which means hindi ko ginamit. so the height was low enough na centered to my viewing level when i'm sitted (pj is around 6ft from the floor). madali lang yan, from the illustration, baliktarin mo lng yung concept kung ceiling/wall mounted.just have patience sa pag-measure before the actual setup. then project it to the wall before you install permanently the projector and screen.

I've found that using keystone tends to show a visible loss of PQ, making the images less sharp and the details softer.  There are some who argue that this can also be seen with using lens shift (especially for cheaper pj's), although to a lesser degree.

What I advise my friends to use would be projector calculator pro on projectorcentral.com.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Here's what came out for the Optoma HD33:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD33-projection-calculator-pro.htm
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM by Verbl Kint »

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 04:09 AM »
I've found that using keystone tends to show a visible loss of PQ, making the images less sharp and the details softer.  There are some who argue that this can also be seen with using lens shift (especially for cheaper pj's), although to a lesser degree.

What I advise my friends to use would be projector calculator pro on projectorcentral.com.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Here's what came out for the Optoma HD33:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD33-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I checked the computed and sa picture may blue horizontal line, do i take it that the optimum horizontal position is edge below the PJ screen for no keystone? di ba dapat sa gitna ng screen  and horizontal position ng screen para zero keystone?
toy

Offline Allan_2180

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2012 at 10:43 AM »
S mga owners or seen actual projected image ng hd33, kamusta naman po ang black level ng hd33 as an entry-level 1080p 3d pj?
Mediocre b talaga or acceptable naman?
Panasonic 42ST30
Optoma HD33
PCH-A200
Yamaha Aventage A810
Wharfedale 9.6+9CM+9DFS
US Audio 512D

Offline R1DVD

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2012 at 07:44 PM »
S mga owners or seen actual projected image ng hd33, kamusta naman po ang black level ng hd33 as an entry-level 1080p 3d pj?
Mediocre b talaga or acceptable naman?

A lot of factors affect black levels (PJ screen, room lighting, room color).  The first time I installed my HD33 and white DIY plywood screen, I was impressed, this being my first time to use a PJ on my HT.  But later on I noticed that for bright scenes, the colors seem washed out.  I then realized that the PJ light reflects from the screen and illuminates my cream-colored room and when the light reflects back to the screen, the color becomes washed out.  So I repainted the screen using light grey paint and I noticed significant improvement in the black levels.  I was so happy with the outcome that when the Elitescreen that I ordered from amazon came, I quickly sold it at.  Later on, out of curiosity (wanting to know if I could improve PQ some more by using a commercial PJ screen) and not out of need, I reordered an elitescreen (cinegrey).  Again, I contemplated on selling it again when it arrived since I was happy with the DIY.  Good for me that I decided to use it since it produced significant improvement in the contrast levels.   Here is a screenshot sample

So, to answer your question, the HD33 produces good to very good black levels (depending on what your standards are).  I know I could improve on it some more by repainting the ceiling and front wall of the room using dark colors but right now, I don't see a need for that since I'm very satisfied with the PQ.  Black levels is definitely not mediocre.  But I suggest you use a cinegrey screen for better contrast.

Offline Allan_2180

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 02:55 PM »
nice screenshot!

checked out cinegrey screens in amazon, I think its available for fixed screen setup only,
and I can't have a fixed screen setup in our living room...

with this screenshot and contrast, I would definitely
consider HD33 as my 1st choice when I upgrade my 720p PJ.

Thanks! :)

Here is a screenshot sample

Panasonic 42ST30
Optoma HD33
PCH-A200
Yamaha Aventage A810
Wharfedale 9.6+9CM+9DFS
US Audio 512D

Offline miccollo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 10:31 PM »
Nice screen shot! I'm really looking forward to owning one. Can you share with us where you got your unit sir. I'm still caught between ordering from Amazon vs. Buying from our suking retailers for the warranty coverage.

TCL 75p8m
Onkyo Tx NR646
Jamo 416
AE Neo Ctr
Klipsch Sub10
Nvidia Shield TV
PS5

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 10:57 PM »
Nice screen shot! I'm really looking forward to owning one. Can you share with us where you got your unit sir. I'm still caught between ordering from Amazon vs. Buying from our suking retailers for the warranty coverage.

He got his unit at US as it much cheaper than local purchase.
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2012 at 11:25 PM »

If the price diff is around 5k I suggest getting a local unit for peace of mind ;)

Offline Allan_2180

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 12:24 AM »
After seeing R1DVD's screenshot, can't help but to compare it with my PJ, tried to capture the same freezed frame and viewing angle.
Just want to share this photo I took a while ago:

Acer H5360BD

Optoma HD33

Judging from these pictures, black levels are almost the same.
and different from what I've been thinking.

Besides resolution, I'm having second thought of upgrading my current PJ.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2012 at 01:06 AM by Allan_2180 »
Panasonic 42ST30
Optoma HD33
PCH-A200
Yamaha Aventage A810
Wharfedale 9.6+9CM+9DFS
US Audio 512D

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 05:59 AM »
by comparing the 2 screenshots, HD33 has the edge in overall sharpness and details. the blacks produced by the H5360BD lost a lot of details.

Offline miccollo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2012 at 08:53 AM »
If the price diff is around 5k I suggest getting a local unit for peace of mind ;)

Actually malayo price sir. Amazon price is around 55K plus shipping of about 9K. 65K approximately total. Sa SNS this is selling for 80K but with 1 year warranty. Approximately 15K difference.
TCL 75p8m
Onkyo Tx NR646
Jamo 416
AE Neo Ctr
Klipsch Sub10
Nvidia Shield TV
PS5