Author Topic: AMX Tube Products  (Read 678333 times)

Offline geko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • buti na lang wala akong pera...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:AMX Integrated Tube Amp
« Reply #30 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 08:29 AM »
Ok, sir.  I will coordinate with John5479 & give you feedback later.  

Thanks again.    :D
just an ordinary music enthusiast.

Offline Vrion

• Collector
  • Make a Life
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 11:31 AM »
Hi

Have you tried it with the Brines?  Kumusta?

Offline geko

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 06:44 PM »
hindi, sir.  have to attend to something urgent last weekend.  try ko this weekend...

for some reason, the AMX David 1 started sounding better with the RB-3 this weekend.  pinalitan ko lang ang mga speaker wires & kinalikot yung mga interconnects.

i did a side by side of the AMX amp & my Euphony push pull amp using one source (NAD C521) & outputted to the RB-3s.  pareho haba at klase ang interconnects at speaker wires.

ang napansin ko...  the AMX sounded more forward with the mids a bit more pronounced.  on the other hand, the Euphony has a more balanced but grainier (hindi ko alam kung paano to explain.  :)) output.  parehong okay pero mas detalyado lang ng konti ang AMX.  but that is just me, of course...   :)      

btw, the AMX David 1 is an 8 watter ss rectified single ended amp using el-34 tubes.  

Offline Leiko

• Collector
  • De Nada
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 06:50 PM »
visited the shop this PM and saw the fullrange drivers on display.  unfortunately, wasn't able to audition... busy sila/daming tao and am pressed for time.

those are rather fancied vintage fullrange (Coral) "from the east" as the Westerners used to call them.  

Babalik ko/I shall return ... pati na rin yung Preamp nila.

keep those updates on your A/B testing coming...
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2003 at 06:51 PM by Leiko »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 08, 2003 at 10:51 PM »
hindi, sir.  have to attend to something urgent last weekend.  try ko this weekend...

for some reason, the AMX David 1 started sounding better with the RB-3 this weekend.  pinalitan ko lang ang mga speaker wires & kinalikot yung mga interconnects.

i did a side by side of the AMX amp & my Euphony push pull amp using one source (NAD C521) & outputted to the RB-3s.  pareho haba at klase ang interconnects at speaker wires.

ang napansin ko...  the AMX sounded more forward with the mids a bit more pronounced.  on the other hand, the Euphony has a more balanced but grainier (hindi ko alam kung paano to explain.  :)) output.  parehong okay pero mas detalyado lang ng konti ang AMX.  but that is just me, of course...   :)      

btw, the AMX David 1 is an 8 watter ss rectified single ended amp using el-34 tubes.  

klipsch speakers typically sound more forward due to their tweeters, how does the amp sound with other speakers?

Offline geko

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 20, 2003 at 06:50 PM »
ayos din, john5479, using the aaudio bookshelves & the floorstanders.  the sound is less bright & rounder.  medyo mahina nga lang dahil 87 db lang 'ata sensitivity ng mga 'yon...

i prefer the rb-3 with the AMX though.  ganda kasi detalye sa vocals & instrumental music, eh...  

fyi, hanggang ngayon nasa bahay pa rin 'yung AMX... siya na ang primary music source ko. ;D  di ko na nga nagagamit 'yung push pull ko, eh.  

ngayon, balik na ulit ako sa CD ROM & headphones sa office...   ;D

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2003 at 06:59 PM by geko »

Offline audiobyte

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 06:52 AM »
 ;DI'm glad you discovered AMX tube amps. They are designed and constructed better than some known vintage and newer tube amps including recently-made Asian ones. Just look at the inside and you'll know what I mean - good circuit layout and point-to-point wiring. That's why they sound good even with ordinary-grade capacitors, resistors, etc. Imagine how much better it will sound if you replaced them with audiophile- grade components! :o

The bottom line is: for an audio amplifier to sound good, it should  be designed technically correct. That's why one cannot further improve the sound of dynaco st70 even with audiophile-grade components because of its circuit topology that limits its performance! :o

Enjoy listening!  ;)

Listen to the music...not to the equipment!

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #37 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 09:02 AM »
Who bought the P12k AMX at Parksquare? I would like to audition that in my room sana. I felt that when I auditioned it at parksquare, the low sensitivity speakers then and poor room acoustics didn't do it justice.

Offline geko

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 11:33 AM »
;DI'm glad you discovered AMX tube amps. They are designed and constructed better than some known vintage and newer tube amps including recently-made Asian ones. Just look at the inside and you'll know what I mean - good circuit layout and point-to-point wiring. That's why they sound good even with ordinary-grade capacitors, resistors, etc. Imagine how much better it will sound if you replaced them with audiophile- grade components! :o

The bottom line is: for an audio amplifier to sound good, it should  be designed technically correct. That's why one cannot further improve the sound of dynaco st70 even with audiophile-grade components because of its circuit topology that limits its performance! :o

Enjoy listening!  ;)

tama ka d'yan, sir.  i peeked inside the AMX David 1 & was surprised to find out how well laid out the components & the wirings are.  ganda ng pagka-ayos! not to mention that they are all hard wired...  :)

hindi ako technically adept sa electronics but, in my opinion, my AMX is a great value-for-money product.  o, 'yung mga  AMX amp owners d'yan.  baka gusto n'yong i-share 'yung mga amps, nyo...  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2003 at 11:34 AM by geko »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #39 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 03:21 PM »
bro,

magaling talaga mag-design and magbuo ng amp si andrew sevilla (the owner)...gusto ko nga marinig 300B nila...home audition sana, hehehehehe!  8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 25, 2003 at 09:47 PM »
sayang their place is not ideal for audition, pero whats common i guess is most prefer the amps using the el34,
maybe i can just request an amp since i have a preamp coming. ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2003 at 09:49 PM by john5479 »

Offline frieden

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 27, 2003 at 12:07 PM »
Hello to all,

Need your help, I'm about to upgrade my yamaha home theater to HK2550 and MA B2 combination, when i heard the NAD c320BEE and MA B2 combo. So now im thinking of instead of having a move theater system i'll go for pure audio system.

my questions:

1 Is the NAD C3200BEE and MA B2 combo the best for its price value. (NAD C3200BEE = 14K, MA B2 + stand = 14.5 K)

2. how about tube amps? is there a tube and speaker which is  at the same price as NAD and MA combo?

3 Can you give me comparative analysis between Solid State NAD C3200BEE versus AMX 300.

thanks a lot,

frieden

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 27, 2003 at 12:50 PM »
The AMX tube amp is best used with high sensitivity speakers like the Fostex FE167E (94db).

EL34 AMX costs P12+++ when available.

The Fostex FE167E Bookshelf (BS60) costs P15,000. The floorstander version (Brines 1.1) P20,+++. A 3rd version is the Fostex Mini Voigt MV167 floorstander. See wiredstate.com for these offerings under wiredstate projects forum.

I haven't heard the 320 nor the AMX (not properly, because it was driving an 86db speaker when I heard it).

Currently I am using a Rotel RA931 Mk II P15,+++ and a Fostex BS60 bookshelf. I love the resolution, mids are great, but shy on sub bass. I am still hunting for a good sub.

www.pbase.com/bs60

The 931 is often pitted against the 320 BEE in terms of price and performance.

For P15,000 (P11k DIY) , look into www.wiredstate.com TB 2A3 tube amp project. I heard this with the Brines Fostex 1.1. Nice combo.

Tube vs SS, pansin ko, mas holographic ang tube and bass is more defined. But difference is only noticeable when rapidly switching between the two for comparison. After playing the SS you begin to forget what you are missing. Well I do anyway.

I would like to hear the AMX with the Fostex and see how it fares against the Wiredstate.com TB 2A3.

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2003 at 12:56 PM by Gino »

Offline frieden

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Oct 27, 2003 at 02:46 PM »
Hi Gino,

Thank you very much for the reply, I just want to know where can I audition AMX / FE167E combo back to back with Rotel 931 / BS60 combo.

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 27, 2003 at 03:55 PM »
One way I can think of is to borrow an AMX and audition at my place. The BS60s are quite heavy to lug around to another house. Unfortunately Andrew has sold the P12k EL34 AMX. We need to find the guy who bought it.

Or if we can bring an AMX to Francis' (Vintage Dog of wiredstate) house at Alabang. He has all three variants of the Fostex FE167E (BS60, Brines 1.1, MV176 voigts).

Of course with all his other toys, we might just find other better combos hehehe.

Set up this arrangement with Andrew of Phasetron then get back to me.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 03:02 PM »
I just came from phasetron (and a few other stores) at parksquare... the tube amps have improved significantly in build quality.  Price ranges from 9k to 30k+.  One that i like in particular is a 12wpc single ended that costs 12k - it looks so classy.  I hope it sounds as good as it looks.  Too bad i had no time to audition.  They seem to have more choices now for speakers.  I saw a floorstander that looks like a DIY backloaded horn.  Hope its more sensitive than the Celestion SL right beside it.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2003 at 03:03 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 03:53 PM »
Akyat,

yun 12wpc pre how much?? another option ko yan hehehehe

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 04:03 PM »
12k din bro.. 1k per watt hehe.  they said it uses 12ax tubes.  mahilig sya sa #12 hehe.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 04:11 PM »
Akyat,

Thanks must check it out... this is made in china right?? or locally made?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2003 at 04:24 PM »
I think its locally made with parts from china.  They say its the owner's design, and you can have it customized.  Im planning to go back and ask if they can make a customized preamp with the same casing as the 12watter.  Then maybe XLR terminals and a bypass switch so i can use it in my mixed HT/audio setup.  But if the unit already has pre-outs, then it could be a candidate for a xmas gift (for myself).

...nga pala hans, i could have been mistaken, kt88 yata gamit nung 12k/12wpc amp.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2003 at 07:48 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Leiko

• Collector
  • De Nada
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 05:46 AM »
these are all locally made and designed by the owner himself.  he told me he used japanese parts -- except transfo and casing yata.  Nothing exotic tho.  (thus the price)  better talk to the guy to understand more about this design philo.   i have learnt a lot from him in my brief and casual chats.

the DIY speakers are fitted with vintage Coral drivers.  Used to be very popular in the old days.  
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2003 at 05:47 AM by Leiko »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 09:43 AM »
Thanks for the additional info Leiko, these amps definitely deserve a more serious look.  The construction is first rate, the pricing is great... and the last that i just need to check out is the sound.  I've previously auditioned a great-sounding tube preamp w/ custom circuit and brushed aluminum casing.  Its construction looks great but the AMX is ahead by a mile.  The custom preamp costs the same as the 12k KT88 integrated.  Now if it has pre-ins/outs and sounds as good... merry xmas!

Delikado pala makapunta dyan sa Park Square 1.   ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2003 at 11:59 AM by akyatbundok »

Offline geko

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 06:13 PM »
One way I can think of is to borrow an AMX and audition at my place. The BS60s are quite heavy to lug around to another house. Unfortunately Andrew has sold the P12k EL34 AMX. We need to find the guy who bought it.

Or if we can bring an AMX to Francis' (Vintage Dog of wiredstate) house at Alabang. He has all three variants of the Fostex FE167E (BS60, Brines 1.1, MV176 voigts).

Of course with all his other toys, we might just find other better combos hehehe.

Set up this arrangement with Andrew of Phasetron then get back to me.

i will be going on a couple of days leave starting tomorrow (finally!).  kung libre ka tomorrow afternoon (3 or 4 pm), i can bring my amp to your place.  test natin.  
curious din ako kung paano sya tutunog sa speakers mo...  you may text me at (0917) 813-0650.  :)    

btw, it also el-34 based but ss rectified.  :)    
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2003 at 06:14 PM by geko »

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 29, 2003 at 08:50 PM »
Great geko,  I'll text you tomorrow if my schedule clears up.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 31, 2003 at 01:19 PM »
I just came from Phasetron this morning and got to inspect the 12k amp more closely.  It looks very classy with its combination of glossy wood with aluminum and gold trim.  The emblem says "KT88 - 6550 Single Ended Integrated Amplifier".  In terms of build quality, this 12-watt SE amp is almost in the same league as the 8-watt TS Audio SE34.1... if only they would put covers on the trafos.  But the good part is that you can specify any nitpick you want and they will do it.

I listed down the tubes used:

-  2pcs, National 12AX7
-  1pc, Matsush1ta 5AR4/GZ34
-  2pcs, Svetlana 6550
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2003 at 01:19 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 31, 2003 at 01:24 PM »
also passed by phasetron, the 9k amp provides 6w/channel and has a nice casing, but i guess speaker matching is critical with this one...and i can't judge its sound quality yet..pero tempting yung price. the 12k amp is no slouch either in the looks department...but both don't have direct amp inputs...pero pwedeng palagyan according to them , for an additional cost

Offline Leiko

• Collector
  • De Nada
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 31, 2003 at 05:44 PM »
john, what are the tubes on the P9k? by, no direct input, does that mean it requires a preamp?

btw, i like their faceplates most. thick brushed alums.

Offline geko

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 01, 2003 at 03:12 PM »
john, what are the tubes on the P9k? by, no direct input, does that mean it requires a preamp?

btw, i like their faceplates most. thick brushed alums.

I think they are 6BQ5 (identical to El-84).  I like the way it looks also.  Simple lang.

I will try to check this out, hopefully, by tomorrow.  Dalhin ko 'yung AAUDIO bookshelves ko...

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 02, 2003 at 03:32 PM »
I was at phasetron yesterday suppose to audition the 12k kt88 model but unfortunately nag-brown out kaya next time na lang siguro.. ganda nga ng facade ng 12k tube and the layout maganda.. dapat siguro I bring my speaker

Offline geko

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 03, 2003 at 08:07 AM »
I was at phasetron yesterday suppose to audition the 12k kt88 model but unfortunately nag-brown out kaya next time na lang siguro.. ganda nga ng facade ng 12k tube and the layout maganda.. dapat siguro I bring my speaker

hindi na rin ako nakadaan nang sunday...  do you have any plans of checking them out this week after office hours?  sabay na tayo...  i could also bring my speakers.

oks lang sa 'kin from 6 to 7 pm.  'wag lang friday as i usually spend that with my lady.  :)

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2003 at 09:09 AM by geko »