Author Topic: replace my old, Fat PS3?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline jgl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
replace my old, Fat PS3?
« on: Mar 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM »
Just want to get some advise. 

I still have the old, Fat PS3 (40Gb) and wondering if you guys know how much I can sell it for?  I'm looking to replace it with a player w/ HDMI to play HD Audio (TruedHD/DTAMA).  I tried playing a disk w/ TrueHD and just output RAW, but I'm not sure if its the same result.  You think I should just retain this or replace it?  Other than that, its working fine.

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
Re: replace my old, Fat PS3?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM »

I still have the old, Fat PS3 (40Gb) and wondering if you guys know how much I can sell it for?  I'm looking to replace it with a player w/ HDMI to play HD Audio (TruedHD/DTAMA).  I tried playing a disk w/ TrueHD and just output RAW, but I'm not sure if its the same result.  You think I should just retain this or replace it?  Other than that, its working fine.

do you have an amp connected to the ps3? is the amp truehd capable?

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 03:14 PM »

fat ps3 are are really cheap now a days

6k below
as ps3 slim are 9k below for used

ps3 fat and slim can decode dd hd and dts hd ma   both PCM
slim can bitstream it to the amp to show ddtruhd and dts hd ma
Love me or hate me.....

Offline jgl

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 03:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies, bros.  Yes, my Onkyo RC-260 AVR (similar to the 608) has TrueHD and DTS-MA.

@raider125jeigh, what setting do I set on my PS3 to play HD Audio, I don't see them as options in Audio settings.  I read though that you can send it RAW (instead of Bitstream), so my receiver has to be set to 'Direct' (obviously my AVR won't display HDAudio), but not sure if the result is the same.  I just read this from a site that suggested this, as it stated that the old PS3's don't have these HDAudio's.  BTW, my unit already has the latest firmware after updating it couple of weeks ago through the internet. 
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2012 at 03:31 PM by jgl »

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 03:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies, bros.  Yes, my Onkyo RC-260 AVR (similar to the 608) has TrueHD and DTS-MA.

@raider125jeigh, what setting do I set on my PS3 to play HD Audio, I don't see them as options in Audio settings.  I read though that you can send it RAW (instead of Bitstream), so my receiver has to be set to 'Direct' (obviously my AVR won't display HDAudio), but not sure if the result is the same.  I just read this from a site that suggested this, as it stated that the old PS3's don't have these HDAudio's.  BTW, my unit already has the latest firmware after updating it couple of weeks ago through the internet. 

hmmmm ill try to recall on the top of my head.. PCM and bitstream ba ang choices?

and dun sa receiver nyo, supposedly dapat you can place it in direct and when it sees the signal coming from the ps3, it should display truehd provided that the source disk is indeed truehd...

here's something to reference it with.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd-101-how-to-use-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-with-your-ps3/

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 04:16 PM »

hmmmm ill try to recall on the top of my head.. PCM and bitstream ba ang choices?

and dun sa receiver nyo, supposedly dapat you can place it in direct and when it sees the signal coming from the ps3, it should display truehd provided that the source disk is indeed truehd...

here's something to reference it with.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd-101-how-to-use-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-with-your-ps3/

BD is  TRANSFORMER DOLBY TRUE HD
If you have FAT ps3 and set the BD to BITSTREAM – it will not show DD TRUE HD on the receiver unlike sa PS3 SLIM it will show so what will you do is to let the ps3 fat decode the dd truhd and it will show PCM to receiver
Lahat ng ps3 can decode truedd HD by it self  PCM

On my end kaya bumibili ng receiver na true hd and dts hd ma is para Makita natin na umilaw ung option sa receiver hehehe

So bitstream it to see it ( slim ps3)

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2012 at 04:21 PM by raider125jeigh »
Love me or hate me.....

Offline raider125jeigh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2012 at 04:20 PM »

meron yan check mo ulit sa settings sa BD option   
Bitstream - LPCM - PCM ata un

set mo sa PCM or LPCM

ps3 FAT will decode truehd but on the receiver it will just show pcm but it is ok

while playing bd hit mo ung select - nakalimutan ko ung option makikita mo na hd ung audio mo
Love me or hate me.....

Offline jgl

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM »
Thanks much guys!

Offline bravoexo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2012 at 06:56 AM »
Can the PS3 output blu-ray through a 1080i connection? (Component Cables)  This has been bugging me ... coz our 55" RPTV is only 1080i...
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline oyie_delapaz

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2012 at 07:55 AM »
You need hdmi to output 1080i..

Offline Tavus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2012 at 11:22 AM »
A good player that can replace fat ps3 is another ps3.

Can the PS3 output blu-ray through a 1080i connection? (Component Cables)  This has been bugging me ... coz our 55" RPTV is only 1080i...

you can buy a component adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Component-AV-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000MIXFWA
maybe you can check the malls if they sell one.

Offline mikkolopez

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Another One Bites The Dust ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2012 at 06:35 AM »
A good player that can replace fat ps3 is another ps3.

you can buy a component adapter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Component-AV-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000MIXFWA
maybe you can check the malls if they sell one.

Thanks for the advice as well, I was looking for this as well. I will check the malls out. Would CDR King have the same (albeit cheaper) version ?
MUSIC is the BLOOD of LIFE

Offline pinoytechno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • PinoyTechno
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 08:27 AM »
kapag seal pa yan bro 7k kapag hindi na 5k benta mo!
PinoyTechno Rockz.......

Offline pao625™

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • break it down!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 06:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice as well, I was looking for this as well. I will check the malls out. Would CDR King have the same (albeit cheaper) version ?

Sir anya is selling one.

You need hdmi to output 1080i..

Nope, ps3 can output 720p/1080i through component as long as your tv supports it.