Author Topic: Please recommend a BD Player to be used as NMT  (Read 2353 times)

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Please recommend a BD Player to be used as NMT
« on: Jul 01, 2012 at 06:02 PM »
I'm looking to upgrade one of my NMTs.  I would like to know if there are BD players already available which are capable of playing SD/HD content (e.g. MKV, MP4, AVI, DivX, Xvid, etc).  Yung hindi masyadong namimili sana.

Must haves are:
- LAN port.
- Can play wide array of content (via USB or NAS).
- Region-free DVD.
- sub 10k price.

Nice-to-haves are:
- Region-free BD.
- Wifi enabled.
- Smart TV features.

I would appreciate if you can post your suggested players (make and model please).  Thanks.

*sorry to start this new topic -- I'm surprised wala pa nagtanong as a separate thread (meron DVD as NMT na thread).  If there's an existing thread which discusses this, please point me to it.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
Re: Please recommend a BD Player to be used as NMT
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2012 at 05:54 AM »
Region-free BD and built-in Wifi are hard to find features at that price point.

For movie playback via USB, check out LG's current offerings.

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2012 at 10:46 AM »
Thanks Stagea.  Ok lang hindi multi region BD and walang wifi, that's why they're nice-to-have lang.

I've also done some research outside of PDVD.  Maganda sana yung LG 670, pero lots of complaints from AVSForum owners that LG pushes out firmware updates without asking user.  And f/w updates often end up faulty.  Sayang, they are supposed to have the widest support of video formats.

Puwede kaya na i-block ko MAC address nang BD player sa router ko, so it does not get internet access?  Pero internally, it should still be able to access any in-network NAS for streaming in content?

On AVSForum, the most recommended BD players are the Sony 590 and Panasonic 220.

But it still seems that NMT features built into BD players are not as comprehensive yet.  Either limited video format playback or limited subtitle support, or both.  Looks like I should look into NMTs again, one without Cinavia I hope.

Offline intellution

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2012 at 07:40 PM »
Pao, I have a bd550 player and so far okay naman.  Don't remember if you are pushed to do the FW update but I think it gives you an option to cancel.  I use both the media player of the bd550 and the media player of my Samsung tv. It seems my tv plays more than the LG BD, specially some compressed MKV files.  Planning to change to a Samsung player thinking it would perform same as my tv. Heard the penny 220 is good also, never saw it in person though.

re NAS..maganda yan..yaan din gusto kong setup..but there are still some issues as I read (I.e. DLNA compatibility, etc)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2012 at 08:02 PM »
Thanks Stagea.  Ok lang hindi multi region BD and walang wifi, that's why they're nice-to-have lang.

I've also done some research outside of PDVD.  Maganda sana yung LG 670, pero lots of complaints from AVSForum owners that LG pushes out firmware updates without asking user.  And f/w updates often end up faulty.  Sayang, they are supposed to have the widest support of video formats.

Puwede kaya na i-block ko MAC address nang BD player sa router ko, so it does not get internet access?  Pero internally, it should still be able to access any in-network NAS for streaming in content?

On AVSForum, the most recommended BD players are the Sony 590 and Panasonic 220.

But it still seems that NMT features built into BD players are not as comprehensive yet.  Either limited video format playback or limited subtitle support, or both.  Looks like I should look into NMTs again, one without Cinavia I hope.

If your router is capable, it can block the specific URL where it downloads the FW.
Walang Setup

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2012 at 02:06 AM »

You're welcome. Sony BDPs generally deliver good PQ (especially if you don't compare them to high end players).

The most obvious shortcoming of most BDPs versus an NMT is network playback. Most BDPs only stream from the internet afaik, and not from NAS devices.

Offline Othan

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2012 at 08:56 PM »
you'll be happy to know that lLG BD-660 is peeged P4397.00 at abenson's waltermart. it can play external HDD up to 1 TB, has netcast thru wired lan, and plays 3D videos  ;D.  but if you want WIFI enabled, try to look for LG BD-670.

Offline pinoytechno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • PinoyTechno
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 08:33 AM »
thanks po sa info sir :)
PinoyTechno Rockz.......