Author Topic: Samsung PS51E550 3D Full HD Plasma TV  (Read 101269 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Samsung PS51E550 3D Full HD Plasma TV
« Reply #30 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 05:11 PM »
We have the same sentiments sir and probably the same experience as well  ;D

Please tell us about the operating temperature.  Does it run very hot?  Does it have an internal cooling fan?

I ask because the display model I saw at SM MOA was very hot to the touch, and it did not seem to have any cooling fans.

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2012 at 05:11 PM by barrister »

Offline ellehcar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2012 at 06:54 PM »
does it have trumotion? just to minimize the dragging artifacts a little bit.
I dont know if may trumotion but yun nga pag sobrang bilis medyo mahahalata mo hindi ganon ka smooth pero for the price I think it can easily compete with panasonic plasma if you consider the price to performance ratio .

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 10:10 AM »
I dont know if may trumotion but yun nga pag sobrang bilis medyo mahahalata mo hindi ganon ka smooth pero for the price I think it can easily compete with panasonic plasma if you consider the price to performance ratio .

I agree with the 3wisemen, who said that 51E550 "may not immune to motion blurring in extremis, but the bulk of its performance is spot on. Overall, it is absolutely a great TV that will award you the feel of 3D experience without breaking the bank."  :D :D

Offline ellehcar

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 06:26 PM »
Sir how much yung additional pair of 3d glass?

Offline riven319

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 07:33 PM »
Please tell us about the operating temperature.  Does it run very hot?  Does it have an internal cooling fan?

I ask because the display model I saw at SM MOA was very hot to the touch, and it did not seem to have any cooling fans.

Sorry for the late reply sir barrister.  I find it actually cool (at least to my standards)...  maybe a little cooler than my D550.  I don't think it to be an issue though...  I have an LG plasma that is very hot to touch and yet is still working til now.  The E550 doesn't have any fans (one of the factors I considered in purchasing as I did not want any extra noise in case a fan goes kaput) 

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 08:27 PM »
Thanks!

The display model I saw was very hot.  Maybe it was on torch mode at SM MOA, plus the unit was not located on a well-ventilated area.  

I don't like cooling fans.  If the unit has cooling fans, that's an indication that it cannot run properly without the fans.  If even one of the fans fails, that's going to be a problem.  And it's unlikely that the user will notice when a fan suddenly stops working.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2012 at 08:30 PM by barrister »

Offline riven319

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM »
Thanks!

The display model I saw was very hot.  Maybe it was on torch mode at SM MOA, plus the unit was not located on a well-ventilated area.  

I don't like cooling fans.  If the unit has cooling fans, that's an indication that it cannot run properly without the fans.  If even one of the fans fails, that's going to be a problem.  And it's unlikely that the user will notice when a fan suddenly stops working.

I agree sir. 

update on my E550 testing:

-No brightness pops so far (and yes this is the priority concern that bothered me in the D series  ;D )

-Blacks are a little better and there were less reflections compared to the D550 I had before (the panasonic st30's were better in both aspects though).  It may not be straightly apparent but the E series also have the real black filter that some people at avforums say are equivalent to the filter the E7000's of last year had. 

-The fade to black shut off, though sometimes mentioned in foreign forums, doesn't bother me at all (maybe I'm just too happy to get rid of the brightness pops, I don't know).  I kind of like it at times when there are long fades and the screen shuts off there is complete darkness in my room and all I see are the digital displays on my other devices.  I find it fast enough and not an issue for me...  I'm not sure how important this is for others though.  I did find that raising brightness to 46 and at least a contrast of 95 will prevent this from happening....   but those settings are too high for my room when calibrated with spears and munsil calibration disc... plus I like the total blackout effect sometimes :)   

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 08:48 AM »
-The fade to black shut off, though sometimes mentioned in foreign forums, doesn't bother me at all (maybe I'm just too happy to get rid of the brightness pops, I don't know).  I kind of like it at times when there are long fades and the screen shuts off there is complete darkness in my room and all I see are the digital displays on my other devices.  I find it fast enough and not an issue for me...  

The problem is not the fade-to-black shut-off, but the flicker before it goes completely black.

If the screen shuts off after a fade to black, then the Sammy is doing that by design.  Some are OK with it; others are not.

The problem is that the auto shut-off does not always work properly.  Sometimes the software gets confused and can't decide if it wants to shut off or not.  When that happens, the screen flickers on, off, on again, off again, etc., until it finally turns off.  That behavior is much more jarring than one single shut-off on fade-to-black.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM by barrister »

Offline riven319

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM »
The problem is not the fade-to-black shut-off, but the flicker before it goes completely black.

If the screen shuts off after a fade to black, then the Sammy is doing that by design.  Some are OK with it; others are not.

The problem is that the auto shut-off does not always work properly.  Sometimes the software gets confused and can't decide if it wants to shut off or not.  When that happens, the screen flickers on, off, on again, off again, etc., until it finally turns off.  That behavior is much more jarring that one single shut-off on fade-to-black.

Yes you are right there are people sensitive to that and may be affected.  It is by design according to a sammy tech I talked to when I had my tv installed.  So far I've only tried 2 movies where it had the "couldn't decide" flicker. I don't find it jarring (I am sensitive to brightness pops) but it may be an issue for some. Anyway, like I said, there is a setting for brightness and contrast that overrides this and those settings are probably what most people would use in the average environment. I tested it and it works.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM »
Sir how much yung additional pair of 3d glass?

Eyeglass at p999. each.

Offline riven319

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 02:22 PM »
Eyeglass at p999. each.

Sir Vic, do you also have the ssg-3050 glasses (the ones from the D series)?  I prefer that over the 4100 included in the 2012 models. 

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM »
Sir Vic, do you also have the ssg-3050 glasses (the ones from the D series)?  I prefer that over the 4100 included in the 2012 models. 

Samsung ssg-3050 glasses is P995. each.  :D

Like Sights & Sounds on Facebook to get the latest deals and updates

Offline paulp

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 06:01 PM »
Sir Vic,  does SnS have this model (51E550)? If yes, how much? Thanks.

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 08:39 AM »
Sir Vic,  does SnS have this model (51E550)? If yes, how much? Thanks.

Available Samsung PS51E550 P59,500. FREE 2 eyeglasses inside the box.  :D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 10:09 AM »
Samsung Plasma HOLLOWEEN SALE

PS51E550 P56,400. free hte453 and skype camera
PS51E450 P35,300. free hte330
PS43E450 P24,800. free hte320

P56,400 is very hard to resist...  ;)   

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 05:13 PM »
Hi sir barrister,
got myself a 51e550 can't wait for the ST50 so instead i go for this one  ;D
this shot is from Cignal NBA HD premium, i believe their box is only capable at 720p. Tried to set at 1080i w/c is their full rez. and the result is not good specifically the motion. The tv's deinterlaced algorithm(auto1 or auto2) can't keep up with cignal's hd box. I guess the fault is the Cignal's HD box so with that i set the hd box resolution down to 720p for better hd overall.

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2012 at 05:18 PM by skooter »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 05:31 PM »
btw i don't bother with the calibration i just set this tv and my samsung bluray and dvd player to BD Wise and this BD Wise we'll set my e550 to optimal settings automatically w/c is really kewl, plug and play if i may say so hehehe...
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2012 at 05:33 PM by skooter »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 08:48 PM »
Thanks for the post!  I think the Sammy 51E550 is a good TV.

Panny ST50 has better black levels, and those blacks can set the ST50 way ahead of the E550.  However, it's not that easy to decide in favor of the ST50 because it has a screen uniformity problem (vertical banding) that has no solution in sight.

The E550 has much better screen uniformity, but it has brightness pops and fade-to-black flicker.  They say the brightness pops of the 2011 model (D550) was reduced in this 2012 model, so it should be hardly noticeable in the E550.  As for the fade-to-black flicker, sir riven says a brightness setting of at least 46 eliminates the problem.

HDTVtest says the Samsung E6500 plasma has non-defeatable noise reduction for the digtal TV broadcast inputs. 

It appears that the Samsung PS60E6500 has MPEG noise reduction running at all times on the digital TV tuner inputs, which smooths over visible block edge “tiling” artefacts. Frankly, given the quality of Samsung’s processing and the over-compressed nature of digital TV (and the overworked MPEG-2 codec used for standard def), we think this is a good thing. This processing is done in a way which doesn’t cause “watercolour painting” artefacts like poorer spatial filtering processes do, it’s very well implemented. You shouldn’t expect SD digital TV broadcasts to look sharp – but they are at least strangely pleasing and as artefact free as they could possibly be, which isn’t bad going for a screen of this size.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps60e6500-ps51e6500-201207262022.htm?page=Performance

Too bad the site doesn't have a review for the E550, but I suspect that the E6500's always-on noise reduction for HD broadcast is also present on the E550.  Maybe that's why you're seeing artificially-smoothed motion.

Good thing noise reduction for BD sources can be turned off on the E6500, so I hope the same is true for the E550.   

I read somewhere that last year's Sammy plasma had a bug in the noise reduction filter, where the noise filter remains on for BD sources even if you set it to "off."  Does your 51E550 correctly turn off the noise filter when set to "off"?

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2012 at 08:59 PM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 09:19 PM »
yes the noise filter can be turn off while i'm watching bluray sources. i'm pretty sure coz i could see the granular artifacts of the film when i turn off those 2 noise filters(DN and the MPEG filter) but when i'm watching SD materials(DVD) i should activate these filters to minimize those pesky mosquito noise and same as goes when i'm watching HD materials coming from my Cignal HD box, their HD materials are not really smooth to watch that's what i observed, well as you can see the screenshot above it is somewhat over smooth but it's better rather than to have a jagged image. BTW samsung BD wise would make the noise filters turn on but as i said i rather turn this ON when i'm watching SD sources.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 09:22 PM »
btw folks i'm just wondering why we don't have series 6 and 7 PDP here in our country?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 09:40 PM »
yes the noise filter can be turn off while i'm watching bluray sources. i'm pretty sure coz i could see the granular artifacts of the film when i turn off those 2 noise filters(DN and the MPEG filter) but when i'm watching SD materials(DVD) i should activate these filters to minimize those pesky mosquito noise and same as goes when i'm watching HD materials coming from my Cignal HD box, their HD materials are not really smooth to watch that's what i observed, well as you can see the screenshot above it is somewhat over smooth but it's better rather than to have a jagged image. BTW samsung BD wise would make the noise filters turn on but as i said i rather turn this ON when i'm watching SD sources.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I hate DNR, so the info is important to me.

btw folks i'm just wondering why we don't have series 6 and 7 PDP here in our country?

Maybe it's just marketing strategy due to lower Philippine sales.  I suspect the strategy is to limit to 3 brackets --- low-end (series 4); mid-end (series 5); and high-end (series 8 ).

==========================================

Sammy 2012 plasma (E8000) ABL discussion (Automatic Brightness Limiter, which causes the "brightness pops"):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416080/samsung-e8000-abl-function

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2012 at 02:01 PM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Oct 19, 2012 at 01:38 PM »
would like to have series 7, series 8(motion, voice and face recognition) is pretty much ridiculous for me hehehe, about the brightness pops and the local dimming anomaly of E550 well so far i haven't experienced yet, my e550 is just only 1-week old.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Oct 19, 2012 at 02:00 PM »
Regarding the brightness pops on the 550, avforums (UK) member LeeDicko suggests viewing this video test on fullscreen --- Gnarls Barkley music video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2B6SjMh_w

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1626953-samsung-ps51e550-owners-thread-18.html#post17758000

I'd appreciate it if you can try it out and tell us what you observe.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2012 at 02:00 PM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 19, 2012 at 03:19 PM »
thanks barrister we'll try this one tonight we'll keep u posted.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 20, 2012 at 09:23 AM »
barrister, i play your link last night using the tv's browser and i swear there was no brightness pops, flickering whatsoever the transition from white to black and back was so smooth. My firmware version is 001014 i'm pretty sure this is the latest version since the tv is smart enough, it will update automatically once you connect it to the network. so make the purchase nah ahehehehe.... i tried to wait for ST50 but the friendly price of e550 can't be ignored besides e550 picture quality is gorgeous to look at. i got no regrets when i bought this tv.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2012 at 09:37 AM by skooter »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Oct 20, 2012 at 09:50 AM »
panasonic philippines their plasma bizness strategy is really lame case example me, they make me wait for 5 or 8 months in the end samsung's e550 wins my wallet hehehe... she was just sitting there all along at the display window pumping out those gorgeous images whenever i take a walk at my local shopping mall. for 8 months i ignored her until last week she offer me a deal that i can't just disregard. i finally say yes to her lol... no wonder panasonic display bizness is finally closing shop. ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2012 at 09:54 AM by skooter »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM »
barrister, i play your link last night using the tv's browser and i swear there was no brightness pops, flickering whatsoever the transition from white to black and back was so smooth.

Thanks for this!

But there's one thing you didn't clarify --- did you display the video in fullscreen mode?  The test would not work if it's only displayed in a small window.  Does the Samsung browser allow YouTube vids to be selected in fullscreen mode?   

so make the purchase nah ahehehehe.... i tried to wait for ST50 but the friendly price of e550 can't be ignored besides e550 picture quality is gorgeous to look at. i got no regrets when i bought this tv.

Yes, i think I'll buy one.  It's easy to decide because it's so cheap. 

I've been waiting for the 50UT50 or 50ST50 since Feb. 2012.  That's a long wait for TV models that have vertical banding, quick-onset IR, and bad line bleed.

I'm guessing there's a workaround for the Samsung brightness pop.  Maybe a lower cell light setting will eliminate it. 

But for the Panasonic vertical banding, quick-onset IR, and bad line bleed?  I doubt if there can be any possible workaround for that.

panasonic philippines their plasma bizness strategy is really lame case example me, they make me wait for 5 or 8 months in the end samsung's e550 wins my wallet hehehe... she was just sitting there all along at the display window pumping out those gorgeous images whenever i take a walk at my local shopping mall. for 8 months i ignored her until last week she offer me a deal that i can't just disregard. i finally say yes to her lol... no wonder panasonic display bizness is finally closing shop. ;D

No, the Panasonic international display business will not be closing down.  I'm 100% sure of that.

But will Panasonic Philippines phase out its local TV distribution division?  Maybe, judging from Panasonic Phils' performance.  If not, well I think they should, and the sooner the better ...  :D

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Oct 20, 2012 at 01:05 PM »
barrister, yes it was display in fullscreen mode. the tv was set in movie mode(using CNET katzmeir's settings)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM »
Thanks again!

It looks like I have nothing to worry about...  ;)

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Oct 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM »
Thanks again!

It looks like I have nothing to worry about...  ;)

bright pops cud come out if we set the tv's picture mode into torch(dynamic) setting but whose plasma lovers wud like dat picture mode? lol..we'll anyway if you finally get the tv do keep us posted here and looks like the 50 ST50 will be nxt yr. pah, but i dont care anymore hehehe..