Author Topic: Newbie & Not-so Noob Thread: Questions (FAQ) on Receivers/Amplifiers  (Read 190305 times)

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
im quite new here so here goes....

im using a pioneer component with built in dvd player but no dolby digital nor dts capability. More specifically, its the vs 300 model i think...

anyway, im just pissed cuz i cant enjoy my dvds even more due to lack of the above mentioned capabilites..

well, i tried checking out the manuals and it stated that it has a digital output...whatever that means ;D well, i guees i cn attach a decoder ,am i right?

1. well, my question is that where can i buy one of these decoders? I hope i dont have to buy a receiver cuz they really are exepensive but i do wna enjoy Dolby digital or dts output sana ;D
2. is there such a thing? just a decoder and not a receiver?
3. how much would it cost?

thnx ya all and hope you can help me out! 8)

MOD NOTE:

old and new newbie inquiries merged, making this into a sticky, so all newbie and not so noob questions should be posted here! post away.  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM by iiinas »

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Newbie question decoders
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 03:58 PM »
i don't get it ???

are you saying that you have a pioneer receiver that has a built in dvd player, but it is not capable of decoding dolby digital or dts audio signals? :o

so what you have right now is a receiver with a built in dvd player that can only play in stereo or dolby prologic?

this just makes no sense?  ???

since pioneer would not be that stupid to package a receiver with a built in dvd player and leave out the dolby digital feature behind....  >:(

i'm very curious to know more about this model.

can you be more specific with the model # and discription?

heres a link to pioneers products
pioneer electronics

bently

.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 07:45 PM »

im using a pioneer component with built in dvd player but no dolby digital nor dts capability. More specifically, its the vs 300 model i think...

anyway, im just pissed cuz i cant enjoy my dvds even more due to lack of the above mentioned capabilites..

well, i tried checking out the manuals and it stated that it has a digital output...whatever that means ;D well, i guees i cn attach a decoder ,am i right?

1. well, my question is that where can i buy one of these decoders? I hope i dont have to buy a receiver cuz they really are exepensive but i do wna enjoy Dolby digital or dts output sana ;D

Egzbuen,

Welcome to PinoyDVD, fellow PPC (pinoypc) member! (tama ba?  ;))

Bently's right. If you're equipment is a mini-compo or home theater in a box with built-in dvd player, most likely it should come with at least Dolby Digital. If you can give us the model number and specs, it would be easier for us to help you.

Again, welcome!

GAOL
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline DTS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 08:10 PM »
Gaol/Bently,

I'm afraid egzbuen is correct. Pioneer DID come out with DVD mini-components without DD or DTS decoders.

In November 2000, I helped a friend canvas for a mini-compo with DVD player.  That's how I became aware of this.

Sayang, I no longer have the Pioneer brochure with me but if I'm not mistaken, the Pioneer DVD mini-compos only had decoders starting with the VS500DVD.  Since egzbuen says he has the 300 model, I'm afraid that does not have any decoders.

EGZBUEN,

Yes, your component may have a digital output, but I believe it doesn't have a 6-channel input.  So even if you get a separate decoder, you'll only be able to connect the component to the decoder. but from there, wala na   :(

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 08:27 PM »

Gaol/Bently,

I'm afraid egzbuen is correct. Pioneer DID come out with DVD mini-components without DD or DTS decoders.

In November 2000, I helped a friend canvas for a mini-compo with DVD player.  That's how I became aware of this.

Sayang, I no longer have the Pioneer brochure with me but if I'm not mistaken, the Pioneer DVD mini-compos only had decoders starting with the VS500DVD.  Since egzbuen says he has the 300 model, I'm afraid that does not have any decoders.

EGZBUEN,

Yes, your component may have a digital output, but I believe it doesn't have a 6-channel input.  So even if you get a separate decoder, you'll only be able to connect the component to the decoder. but from there, wala na   :(

Yo DTS!

Thanks for clarifyung the matter! Oo nga, I think I've seen these Pioneer mini-compos in the appliance stores.

Thing is, even if there is a digital output, it appears the signal is not a Dolby Digital nor DTS stream (or is it? malamang hindi, unless inadvertise na nila na DD/DTS ready eto or something.). So even if you connect this to a DD/DTS decoder via the digital out, the decoder
will not be able to do anything because there is no DD or DTS signal to decode.

Parang sa DVD player, even if you have a digital out, it doesn't necessarily imply that it can send out a DTS stream digitally to the receiver, unless stated specifically and may logo na DTS Surround Out.

GAOL

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 08:31 PM »

Pioneer VS300 only has DD/DTS out. You need to buy home theater set kasi di mo pwedeng gamitin yung speakers nung compo sa ibang recievers.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 08:34 PM »
Thnx guy for replyn asap! =) anyway, ill check my manuals again to make sure,ayt? Btw, wat do i look for? I just have to check that it has DTS stream and/or DTS surround out?

Thnx for the warm welcome guys!

GAOL : yup ppc also,wats your handle there? =)

buys ...this is the link of my unit

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/products/av_index.html

and the model is VS300DVD under mini systems....

thnx ya all! =)

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 08:37 PM »
jt :

ahh ok, so my unit has dd/dts out but your saying that my speakers cnt be used sa ibang receivers...

so does that mean i cant attach any type of decoder ( not receiver ) so that i can experience real dd and/or dts?

thnx ya all again! =)

To all:

yup, i checked the site and manuals; it has DTS out and digital out....

so what are my options?exept buying a new system... hehehe ;D

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 08:49 PM »

Thnx guy for replyn asap! =) anyway, ill check my manuals again to make sure,ayt? Btw, wat do i look for? I just have to check that it has DTS stream and/or DTS surround out?

Thnx for the warm welcome guys!

GAOL : yup ppc also,wats your handle there? =)

buys ...this is the link of my unit

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/products/av_index.html

and the model is VS300DVD under mini systems....

thnx ya all! =)

Egzbuen,

OT: I use my real name in PPC > ARN  ;D

Back to Topic:

So confirmed na, that its digital out is DD/DTS.

Sad to say, if you want the DD/DTS experience, your pioneer mini-compo will end up basically as just a DVD player with all the extra baggage.

I am not aware (maybe the others can help you there) if there are DD/DTS decoders only being sold. Besides, you will still need amplification for the 5 channels (and asub out for .1 in 5.1) -- so you will really need a receiver, or at least an AV amp (basically the same as a receiver, but without the tuner--you can use the pioneer for this  :D).

Then as JT pointed out, you will need new speakers.

Hope this helps. Cheers and nice to see you here and in PPC!

GAOL
;D

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 09:03 PM »
wow!  :o

bagong setup nga yan!

tama nga si gaol...

the digital output is meant to be connected to another receiver that has dd5.1 and dts capability

you can still use the speakers on this unit pero kailangan mong ilipat yung speaker wires doon sa bagong receiver.

bently

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 09:13 PM »

you can still use the speakers on this unit pero kailangan mong ilipat yung speaker wires doon sa bagong receiver.

bently

Actually, dehins advisable ito. The reciever can damage the speakers.  Mahina lang ang capacity nung mga speakers ng mga mini-compo.

Offline bejiboys

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 09:25 PM »
Egzbuen,

I am afrain to tell you I was in the same predicament last year, and I had to sell my 6 mo. old VS100DVD for ~9k less than the acquired price so that I can move on with a full-pledged (tama ba spelling) DTS and Dolby Digital HT.  

Actually, I was contemplating on using the compo as my DVD player - sayang kasi yung tape deck.  But I eventually decided to sell the thing because I didn't like having speakers in excess (I knew that I would change the speakers because they didn't sound good), and I knew I would have no use for the almost obsolete cassette tape technology.

Used the money I got from the sale of the Compo in starting with "semi-separates" (AVR, DVD player, etc.)

I was foolish to have forgotten considering FLEXIBILITY and SCALABILITY in purchasing this mini compo equipment.

Good luck in your setup. ;)

Bejiboys

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 09:31 PM »
good point jt, pero nakita ko kasi doon sa spec page ng pioneer na rated at 140W X 2 RMS yung output noong amp.

so if he got a new receiver/amp with an ouput of 100w per channel, then he should be okay..or he can just use this speakers as his rear...just to be safe  ;)

bently

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 09:41 PM »

good point jt, pero nakita ko kasi doon sa spec page ng pioneer na rated at 140W X 2 RMS yung output noong amp.

so if he got a new receiver/amp with an ouput of 100w per channel, then he should be okay..or he can just use this speakers as his rear...just to be safe  ;)

bently

Pwedeng gamitin yung mga speakers depende sa reciever. Pero based from my friend's experience, nung una eh ok yung performance pero biglang bumigay yung mga speakers so di niya maibenta yung DVD Compo kasi sira na yung mga speakers at walang mabilhan para dun kasi isang set siya.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 09:52 PM »

bently

I think pagdating sa mini-compo e mahirap paniwalaan completely yung mga specs lalo na pataasan talaga diyan. pwedeng 140x2 rms nga siya, pero at what distortion level, paano sinukat and so on.  ;D

so possibleng mangyari ulit yung sinabi ni jt na sa simula e ok yung speakers tapos eventually bibigay.

pero I guess, pwede pa rin panimula ay gamitin muna siya sa rear -- risk nga lang -- habang binubuo ng paunti-unti ni egzbuen yung speaker set up niya.

GAOL

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2002 at 09:56 PM »
point taken jt ;)

so kung nagtitipid si egzbuen , he can get a new dd5.1/dts receiver, still use his compo to act as a dvd player and still use his speakers pero at a big risk of blowing out the speakers... :-[or he can follow bejiboys advise na to just sell his current setup and just upgrade to a better htib or component system w/c i also think is the best way to go :)

bently

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 02:27 AM »
yikes! so im stuck with this setup right now...
cguro it wud be better if i sell this...

considering i bought this for 26T and still has 2 years full warranty, how much can i sell these for?

anyone here tried using the VS500 series, tehy have built in dts and dd decoders na....

now, how am i suppose to sell these without getting to luge.... ???

Offline MeowPao

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 03:20 AM »
Egzbuen,

You can post it at the local online auction site such as bidshot.com.

You can also try posting it at Buy and Sell.

Sell it while its new so that you can get a higher price. But be sure to price it somewhat lower than the retail price. I might price it less than 10%-20% just to get rid of it.

I had a similar experience like yours. My very first DVD player was a mini-component too, but it lasted 2-3 weeks with me bec. I quickly sold it at 10% off.  ::)

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 11:14 AM »
In short kung pipilitin mo kabitan ng decoder ang mini component and use the existing speakers, hindi rin maganda ang sound. Chopsuey ang labas and I think its a waste of money. Might as well sell it and start a new setup or stay as is. Another thing, I dont recommend that you get the VS500 even if may DD and DTS. You will sell your VS 300 ng lugi then upgrade ka to VS500 lang. I think the sound difference is not worth the additional expense for the VS500 + money lost from the VS300. Just my 1 cent advice.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 03:55 PM »

considering i bought this for 26T and still has 2 years full warranty, how much can i sell these for?

anyone here tried using the VS500 series, tehy have built in dts and dd decoders na....

I would advise that if you are planning for upgrades, don't go for another DVD compo unit. Start investing on separates and you'll get more satisfaction.

I used to have VS500. Although it does'nt sound that bad, it does'nt sound that good either.  Better go for HTIB units like Pioneer DV33 or Sony DAV-S500 (or better yet SONY DAV-S800) if you don't have the budget for separates.
Pero you can refer to a lot's of thread's here para sa mga budget setup for separates.

Regarding your compo, you can use it in your room or sell it to somebody who is not particular with the DD/DTS decoders (which is most of our folks until he becomes a member of pinoydvd).  It's going to be ok for other people as an entry level players.  I'm also sure you can get a better deal when you are not in a rush to sell this.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 06:48 PM »

I think you can still sell it at a relatively good price as long as you sell it outside of PinoyDVD! (Just like if you want to sell your pc at a very very good price, don't do it in PPC ;)) ;D

Most non-PinoyDVD members would be happy with just the ability for DVD playback and would be more interested in the "power" (wow! 3500 watts PMPO  ;D) and the flashing lights on the display. Besides, it has a radio and can do other things such as cd and cassette playback, the latter of which you won't get in a receiver-dvd separates setup (unless of course, you buy a separate cassette component, which has stayed stuck in the P6K-P10K price range).

Cheers!
GAOL

Offline cabletekkie

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 11:42 PM »

mag sirs curious lang po...:)

if in fact the unit (pioneer mini compo/dvd) is used only as DVD player with dd/dts output sent to an external decoder/avr (whatever), nde na po ba tutunog ang speakers nya? o there is a need to for the speaker wires to be detached physically?

i was thinking along the line parang sa headphones, pag sinaksak sa jack, nag shut off ang speakers... ???

salamat po sa anumang paglilinaw na maipapaabot ninyo mga ka forum...  

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 11:53 PM »

mag sirs curious lang po...:)

if in fact the unit (pioneer mini compo/dvd) is used only as DVD player with dd/dts output sent to an external decoder/avr (whatever), nde na po ba tutunog ang speakers nya? o there is a need to for the speaker wires to be detached physically?

i was thinking along the line parang sa headphones, pag sinaksak sa jack, nag shut off ang speakers... ???

salamat po sa anumang paglilinaw na maipapaabot ninyo mga ka forum...  

As I have tested previously eh tutunog pa siya. You have to mute or turn off the volume nung compo para di sumabay sa output nung reciever.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
Re:Newbie question re: decoders
« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2002 at 01:08 AM »
Reposting from another thread:

Are there any "amplifier-less" AC3/DTS decoders that can be bough here in Pinas?

I'm looking for something like this:

http://www.midiland.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=32&category=Accessories

or this:

http://www.klipschonline.com/store/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3&pf%5Fid=034

Thanks

Offline jael

• Collector
  • Still trying hard...
  • Liked:
Newbie question re: decoders
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2002 at 01:59 PM »
newbie here, guys does anyone know where i could get a klipsch promedia dd-5.1 decoder here in the philippines??? i have a PS2 and i want to use its digital out. i don't have much cash that's why i chose this (i think DTS/DD5.1 decoder for $ 169.99 is a good deal).

please help! i can't find one! thank you in advance!
Be without fear in the face of your enemies

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2002 at 03:41 PM »
egzbuen,

No choice ka sa set-up mo bro but to connect your VS300 to a DD/DTS receiver to enjoy your 5.1 audio channels.

It is the VS500 which has the DD/DTS decoders built-in.

My advice is try selling your VS300 and invest in a real HTP set-up.

cybermms

Offline dicmat2001

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2002 at 01:19 PM »
question to all:

the subject pioneer unit indicated with logo of DTS/DD. If you turn on the dts/dd botton while playing/viewing still you will not get DTS sound? Pls enlighten, i also have pioneer mini compo model VS800DVD.

dicmat

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2002 at 04:03 PM »
hi dicmat2001,

what dts title won't play on your pioneer? pressing the dts/dd button won't switch the audio format from the dvd, you'll have to press the audio selector on the remote. some old dvd software won't allow you to cycle through the audio formats. they would have to be first selected in the audio options/language menu of the dvd.

hth,
utoy

Offline thea

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
what's a receiver for?
« Reply #28 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 10:48 AM »
im a newbie
what's an av receiver for?

tnx!

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
Re:what's a receiver for?
« Reply #29 on: Jun 19, 2002 at 11:41 AM »
hello, thea,

i actually posted the same question in a different thread shortly after i signed up here. so, i'll just summarize the reply i got. a receiver is used to split the sound into different channels. depending on the specs, you can have a center speaker, a pair of front speakers, a pair of rear speakers, plus a subwoofer. in effect, you will have a sensurround effect, similar to that of movie theaters.

i'll bump up the thread where i posted my question for you. the title of the thread is suggestion for av receiver and speakers.

folks, i'm not an expert on this. please feel free to correct my explanation kung mali man.

thanks.
peace man!