Author Topic: Elementary  (Read 1319 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Elementary
« on: Jul 30, 2012 at 08:49 AM »

CBS will be unveiling its own remake of the Sherlock Holmes stories set in the modern era with Elementary, which will premiere this Fall. Elementary sees Sherlock Holmes (Jonny Lee Miller) traveling to New York City to check in a rehab center and ends up living in Brooklyn with roommate Joan Watson (Lucy Liu).

It's obvious that this series is harping on the popularity of the BBC's Sherlock, with a female Watson instead. Sue Vertue of Hartswood Films, which produces Sherlock, mentioned, "We have to assume that CBS' modernised Sherlock Holmes doesn't resemble ours in any way, as that would be extremely worrying; we will be looking at their finished pilot very closely for any infringement of our rights."  
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2012 at 05:31 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline ravencreed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • DVD ENTHUSIAST
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Elementary
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2012 at 02:42 AM »
just finish watching the pilot...plot and characters are okay. let see if it will improve on the succeding episodes  :);)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Elementary
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 08:43 AM »
New Holmes. New Watson. New York.

With a blurb like that on the promo banners, it was hard to take this Sherlock Holmes remake seriously. Throw in the New York angle and I imagined a CSI + Copper mash-up. Every time a series crosses over from the UK, the results are generally dire. Also, I'm also a big fan of Benedict Cumberbatch's ongoing series in the UK so my expectations were fairly low.

I was pleasantly surprised. Jonny Lee Miller isn't trying to be like Cumberbatch's Sherlock. He's quirky, brash and hyperactive. The energy feels different. The same holds true for the female version of Watson, played by Lucy Liu, which changes the chemistry of the relationship. She doesn't feel like a sidekick. I've seen comments criticizing Liu's performance, but I think this Watson is meant to be distant and guarded.

So how was the premiere? Not as clever as its British counterpart. Moffat thinks they changed too much, but that's expected. As a procedural, it was entertaining enough. I'm hoping it gets better after the first couple of episodes.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 10:04 AM »
Being a fan of BBC's Sherlock, I was prepared to hate this show. I actually only watched the pilot out of curiosity. My main justification was that with Miller, Liu and Quinn, at the very least, I did like the cast.

Maybe it was due to going in with low expectations, but I really enjoyed the show, and have added it to my already heavy TV watch list.

If I have one beef with the pilot, it's that Watson was the one who discovered the clue that ultimately solved the mystery. It felt untrue to the Sherlock Holmes mythology, and felt like it was a feminist/PC/star-power motivated plot development.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 01:01 PM »
Bored with it. 10 minutes in and my mind already wandered to other things. Let the show play in the background while I made a sandwich and with the little I could gather, there wasn't anything that interested me.

The problem is it's no different than any show with a "genius" crimefighter and his sidekick. House M.D. had better presentation. So does Perception. I don't mind their relationship, the actors were alright in their roles, so I blame the director.

It was pretty standard fare and I could probably point out a handful of current shows that are the same if I had the time.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012 at 01:02 PM by Dan »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 01:30 PM »
Moffat did say that with all the liberties taken, it's not the kind of Sherlock Holmes he was trying to make. Hankey, you're right. The Watson character came across as being too much of an equal.

Of all the derivative Sherlock shows, I still prefer The Mentalist with Patrick Jane. I really couldn't get into Perception. Came across as a bad version of Monk.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012 at 01:31 PM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 04:00 PM »
Moffat did say that with all the liberties taken, it's not the kind of Sherlock Holmes he was trying to make. Hankey, you're right. The Watson character came across as being too much of an equal.

Of all the derivative Sherlock shows, I still prefer The Mentalist with Patrick Jane. I really couldn't get into Perception. Came across as a bad version of Monk.

Agree about Perception -- it was a House/Monk clone. Not really engaging.

Agree with Dobler as well about Elementary. It didn't offer anything new. I'll watch the second and third episodes to see if it improves or I begin to like it.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 04:25 PM »
I just read during the weekend that this new series is one of those in trouble of being cancelled.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 04:33 PM »

You're right! I watched up to the second ep. To be honest, I tuned in just for Rachel Leigh Cook. But no matter how hot I think she is I just couldn't invest any more time with it.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 06:35 PM »

Agree with Dobler as well about Elementary. It didn't offer anything new. I'll watch the second and third episodes to see if it improves or I begin to like it.

Oops, I meant Dan not Dobler. :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 06:46 PM »
I just read during the weekend that this new series is one of those in trouble of being cancelled.

I'm surprised by that, and am wondering where you read this, since all I saw this weekend were articles on how pleased CBS was with the very good ratings of the Elementary pilot:

http://www.examiner.com/article/elementary-and-revolution-among-ratings-winners-new-tv-season

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57522656/thursday-ratings-the-big-bang-theory-elementary-premiere-with-solid-numbers/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/last-resort-debuts-to-disappointing-ratings-elementary-starts-strong

Maybe it was a site ran by BBC Sherlock-devotee naysayers?

Forced my way through that pilot, and quickly decided that for me, it wasn't worth giving a second episode try.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012 at 06:52 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3193)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2577
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2018 at 05:39 AM »
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Columbia

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 817
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2018 at 06:32 AM »
Columbia