Author Topic: iPad as music source  (Read 10908 times)

Offline cm8

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: iPad as music source
« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2013 at 03:12 PM »
I'm just wondering, is there an app that enables streaming of music files between two iDevices? I have an old iPod touch not being used. I'm planning to connect the iPod to my amp and stream music (via wifi or BT) from my iPad.

Thanks in advance.
I only have two secrets to success and happiness:

1. Don't tell anybody anything you know.

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #31 on: Mar 28, 2013 at 03:19 PM »
Carlo this may help for your requirements.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,177685.0.html.
You may by-pass the ipod.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2013 at 03:21 PM by CoolTOYZ »
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline cm8

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #32 on: Mar 28, 2013 at 05:25 PM »
Carlo this may help for your requirements.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,177685.0.html.
You may by-pass the ipod.

Hi sir. Thanks for the reco and for the PM. I am aware of these BT receivers. What I'd actually like to do is to just use the iPod if possible. Playing audio from the iPad is more of a convenience rather than a necessity. Hence, I'd just like to utilize equipment readily available. If I wanna listen to music, I'd rather use my cdp since all my ipad music were ripped from my cd's anyway.

What I'm looking for is an app that would make my iPod function as BT or wifi music receiver/streamer.

Thanks sir.
I only have two secrets to success and happiness:

1. Don't tell anybody anything you know.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #33 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 02:29 AM »
Hello guys!!!

A 64gb Ipad 1 can be had for cheap these day.
I know it is a relic technologically but perhaps for pure audio, it should be fine in the living room or dining area.

Is it still worth it? Sayang naman 64gb, it's plenty for me.

Offline intellution

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #34 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM »
Planning on this route in the near future, got an old ipad 32gb that I would like to use as a music source for my tube amp.  Anybody did a remote (external drive thru a LAN) to us as additional storage in case the ipad runs out?

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #35 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 01:52 PM »
You can follow jambam's thread.....

One thing that bothered me was needing to have a wired Lan connected to the pogoplug . This is a hardware limitation of the pogoplug where it is only using one usb channel for all the usb ports.

So what I tried this morning is just get an extra wireless router with no modem connected ( walang internet) plugged in the pogo plug.  Got the old ipad 1st gen connect to the router.

I played a hires file on the pogoplug .  The ipad using Squezepad as my app is also playing a different flac file . The ipad is acting as a controller and a player (squezebox client) at the same time . So there really 2 players connected and streaming files.

So there it is ...
There are still some problems like , moving the server or disconnecting the drives would require you to  resetup , which is selecting the directory where the music files are.

And during rescan its best not to play any music , but that is not really often, needed when you add new music to your drive .

But of course the test is in the critical listening , I have had a number of guest listen , and I dont think there was an obvious fault detected . it would be great if we had 2 different sycned players ( pogoplug and something else)  driving the same usb dac/s into a single preamp and just switch inputs for a/b comparison.

Anyway I think I am almost done here , and this helps other people.

Offline intellution

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 04:35 PM »
Thanks JoyeGS...nakita ko na yung post ni jambam...i read it twice...medyo nawala ako sa gitna.... ;D

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 04:51 PM »
Regarding your ipad as your music source, another approach is to have the camera kit connector of the Ipad so you can attache a USB dac to your Ipad.  But the trick here is that your dac must be compatible with your iPad.

So in my opinion, the Ipad is best only as a remote controller/player and your music source will still be a music server.

Thanks JoyeGS...nakita ko na yung post ni jambam...i read it twice...medyo nawala ako sa gitna.... ;D

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 04:58 PM »
You may find the HRT i-streamer an interesting solution for those wanting to use an Ipad as a music source.
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/istreamer/?product=istreamer

It is available for audition at Wholesound at BGC. Priced around 10K.
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 05:27 PM »
+1 on this ..... great solution for the iOS devices

You may find the HRT i-streamer an interesting solution for those wanting to use an Ipad as a music source.
http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/istreamer/?product=istreamer

It is available for audition at Wholesound at BGC. Priced around 10K.

Offline intellution

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 06:17 PM »

So in my opinion, the Ipad is best only as a remote controller/player and your music source will still be a music server.

I think this will be the best approach....read about the HRT as well. Was thinking of the Pure I20 as a cheaper alternative.

@JoeyGS...whats the cheapest route to go for the music server?  I think this is where I got lost in jambam's setup

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 06:20 PM »
I think this will be the best approach....read about the HRT as well. Was thinking of the Pure I20 as a cheaper alternative.

Please correct if my understanding is wrong, but the PureI20 still uses the Ipad's internal DAC.
The HRT is able to retrieve the Digital sound from an I-device then use the HRT's DAC for conversion.
Is my understanding correct?
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2013 at 06:21 PM by CoolTOYZ »
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline intellution

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 08:30 PM »
Sir cooltoyz based on 6moons link it does http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/pure/1.html just dont know if its as good as the htr

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 09:38 PM »

@JoeyGS...whats the cheapest route to go for the music server?  I think this is where I got lost in jambam's setup

Ako na lang sasagot .. Cheapest route is an unused pc and recycle for music serving.  This is what i started with.. You dont need a powerful pc .

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM »
Sir cooltoyz based on 6moons link it does http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/pure/1.html just dont know if its as good as the htr

Thank you for the clarification. The Pure I20 might indeed be a cheaper alternative. Hope to find one for an audition. Any leads?
Where is the Love? BEP

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM »
To get the best sound from the iPad, why don't you consider the NuForce iDo. Its a DAC and headphone amplifier specifically designed for apple devices.

You can check it out in sight & sound

Offline intellution

• Collector
  • Liked:
iPad as music source
« Reply #46 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM »
Ako na lang sasagot .. Cheapest route is an unused pc and recycle for music serving.  This is what i started with.. You dont need a powerful pc .

@jambam..thanks for your inputs...sir whats the minimum reqmt.? O/s? Wired lan ba dapat? I think this the part i need more help..

@ cooltoyz..sir wala ata dealer dito nyan....just dont know where i read it either here or wiredstate..oks naman daw for the price

@ sanjay..sir thanks for giving me another option..will surely look into it
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM by intellution »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #47 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 08:29 AM »
@jambam..thanks for your inputs...sir whats the minimum reqmt.? O/s? Wired lan ba dapat? I think this the part i need more help..

Anything in the last 10 years (pentuim 4) will work or old laptop  I think the better question do you have any old pc or laptop that still functions except it is slow , and about to be replaced ? I am almost sure this will work if you have something like that .

.. Puwede rin wireless connection , basta common yun router na gamit nyo.

Question

Is the intention to have a common set of music files that will be used across different players ? More than 2 or 3 ?

Offline intellution

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM »
@jambam..I have old laptops I could use.  My goal is to have a remote location for audio files (i.e. flac, etc) to be accessed by the ipad which is docked and connected to my amp without degrading the quality of sound wireless sana... Is that feasible? It will just be for 1 setup for now.

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM »
@intellution, several questions you need to answer as follows:

1. Are you ok with flac, wav and other lossless which will only have a resolution of 16bit/44khz? 16/44 if lossless is more or less CD quality.  If you need hi-res (more than 16/44, say, 24/96 or 24/192) then you will need a better dac to handle the hi-res files.

2.  Do you have a preference on the OS? Windows, Mac OS or Linux?

3.  Can you work with Vortexbox (Linux based OS)?  Linux based OS can work very well with old computers with low hardware specifications and in my opinion can output high quality music.  The only thing is that, similar to vortexbox, is that it is not as flexible or plug&play as compared with Mac OS and Linux.  Once the Linux OS or Vortexbox is set-up, just play music.  Once you want to change the hardware configration (say add/change hard disks) you have to reconfigure again.

Lastly, what you need are as follows:

1.  Laptop with music player
2.  Ipad as remote - the ipad will access the music from the laptop via wifi
3.  wifi router - the laptop will be wired into the wifi router
4.  USB dac - the laptop outputs digital music into the dac via USB.  The dac outputs analog music into your audio equipment (into a preamp or integrated amp)

Offline Tsnad

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM »
question mga guru... ano po maayos na DAC... ;D yung mura lang po.... I have spare iphone na pwede gamitin as player... >:D pwede rin na yung mga DAC new model sa vintage amps....

Offline intellution

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM »
@JoeyGS..thanks sir for the reply:

1.  16/44 is ok with me but would like to got hi-rez in the near future, which I believe will require me a better DAC.

2.  Windows preferred..I dont have a mac..no knowledge of Linux

3.  Read about the vortexbox..its seems complicated.

Read about the Seagate wireless Hard drive as a compliment to an Ipad/Iphone..up to 1TB.  Read it does not down sample the audio...anybody can confirm this? If it does not I guess it suits my needs perfectly.

If the wireless drive does not work...I guess it will be a remote pc for me

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM »
For dacs na maayos and less than 10k, you have hrt istreamer, super pro, musiland 01 or 03 and dragonfly.

question mga guru... ano po maayos na DAC... ;D yung mura lang po.... I have spare iphone na pwede gamitin as player... >:D pwede rin na yung mga DAC new model sa vintage amps....

Offline takussa14

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 24, 2013 at 01:05 PM »
For dacs na maayos and less than 10k, you have hrt istreamer, super pro, musiland 01 or 03 and dragonfly.

Whew, again sir joeygs saves the day! Ive been itching to get the pure or now since i read joeygs approve on the hrt, the hrt. But with new choices let the review reading begin. Again. Sir jambam i might consider your setup as well!

Unfo, these devices are most accessible, on my part, for listening source. i decided to skip cds and focus building my tt more.

Forgive my ignorance and laziness to research but With cds, i decided to rip them into the ipad/pod instead. Will flac/alac/lossless be at par with CD?
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2013 at 01:12 PM by takussa14 »

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #54 on: Aug 03, 2013 at 11:51 AM »
The iPad is relatively thin sounding. How it sounds compared to a cd player will depend on the quality of the cd player and the resolution of your system. It is my experience that if you cannot tell the difference in sound between an iPad and a cd player, your system is not resolving very well.

Offline takussa14

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 07, 2013 at 07:12 PM »
The iPad is relatively thin sounding. How it sounds compared to a cd player will depend on the quality of the cd player and the resolution of your system. It is my experience that if you cannot tell the difference in sound between an iPad and a cd player, your system is not resolving very well.

About 4 or 5 days ago, at random, i decided to hook my ps3 on the video out of the pre amp, tried out my dads krall live in paris and my reservoir dogs ost and was  :-X first thing on my mind was regret for mishandling my childhood cd collection :( ill just have to do a scavenger hunt around the house and my neighbors for them.
wow wow is all i can say. if what i heard was correct, yes with the ps3 iam already at awe how much more with a decent cd player?(if it will make a big dif) now i might und the 24bit-16bit 192/24 specs i still have no idea of. unless i can find tinkerings with the ps3 to make it suffice for now. i heard sacd a couple times and i still dont know how to desc them or if to believe in what i heard.

yes the ipad is bad but it is most practical esp for hard to find songs etc unfo.. :(

so is a docked/ to dac device (or a full powered device) the same as a or can sound like a cd player? or reach the same hq a cd can? yes maybe more research can answer my question but paralysis anaysis and too many tabs has gotten to me again.  ??? im def buying vintage speakers soon to run away from all this ;D