Author Topic: PBA Season 38  (Read 109401 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PBA Season 38
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 07:59 AM »
abueva is for real, 2nd game in double double figures.

Abueva had 19 points, topscoring this time for Alaska and 9 rebounds.  I think he also had 3 or 4 assists.  Magaling din magpasa yan so the more he gels with his teammates the more tataas ang assists nyan.  We're looking at triple doubles as the league progresses. 

I watched the game.  Abueva creates plays.  And he can intimidate.  Funny but the way he plays, parang matagal na sya sa PBA.  He has that "gulang" too.  In one of the plays, he gave Ababou or Tenorio the "no look patid" that sent the Ginebra player to the floor.  Huli nga lang ng ref hehehe.  But what I'm saying is he's a rookie, for cryin' out a loud and he does those things?  Damn. 

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 12:06 PM »
it was a very listless ginebra that played last night. after a blazing 2-0 start, they follow it up with a 4 game losing streak. it would have been fine if their line-up is not loaded. with their line-up, they can have two first fives.

the first game was controversial. although it is in the rules, and even if Salud explained it (obviously irritated) i still think that what reavis did was goal tending. it's just me...or is it because it was sanmig coffee mixers??  :P

adhering to that rule invites "gulang". any opposing player can just wait for the ball to touch the rim and swat it away afterwards.

(akala ko susuntukin ni rico v. si salud eh.)
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM »
Sa tingin ko goal tending talaga. Kahit si urbiztondo masama ang loob sa nangyari.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 01:08 PM »
Sana tanggalin na lang nila yung rule na yun. Interference naman talaga kasi yung ganun...

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 01:16 PM »
hindi kasi tumawag si ref
may 2secs lang sana matira sa oras ng coffee
Love me or hate me.....

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 01:30 PM »

the first game was controversial. although it is in the rules, and even if Salud explained it (obviously irritated) i still think that what reavis did was goal tending. it's just me...or is it because it was sanmig coffee mixers??  :P

adhering to that rule invites "gulang". any opposing player can just wait for the ball to touch the rim and swat it away afterwards.

(akala ko susuntukin ni rico v. si salud eh.)

The funny thing about this ...... one of the referees was seen raising his hand; about to signal something ...... then Rafi Reavis RAN AWAY with the basketball with time left on the game clock (!)

What caused the referee to raise his hand and didn't call anything? Why was Reavis not charged with travelling and possession given back to BARAKO?

An even funnier thing about all of this ...... a few players were doing this a few years ago e.g. Arwind Santos & Diamon Simpson (ALASKA import) and both were charged with goal-tending.

==========================================================================

In other PBA news, SMC star player James Yap was NOT suspended by Comm. Cheato Salud after deliberately hacking the head of Jireh Ibanes during their last game against ROS.

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/face-of-the-pba-james-yap-fined-p6k-after-ejection-escapes-suspension

Here's a video of that very blatant, dangerous foul by James Yap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5NI8LaOFxDE

@Sniper ...... you're right, kampihan na, sabi ni Comm. Cheato Salud.  O0

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 03:12 PM »
I've seen harder fouls than that.. I'm no James Yap fan but I agree, that didn't warrant a suspension.. and here's a video of why James Yap did that to Jireh.. on the 55:38 mark of this video, you'll see Yap get hit on the face by a forearm from Jireh..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 04:13 PM »
I myself have seen harder fouls than that ..... but, I won't belittle Yap's foul just because Ibanes showed resiliency on the hack to his head.

Ibanes didn't have to fall & crumple on the ground for Yap to merit a suspension ..... it doesn't even matter if Ibanes gave out his own cheap shots to Yap, earlier in the game.

James Yap gave out an intentional & legitimate-above-the-shoulder-hit - something which had ALWAYS merited a one-game suspension .... since the tenure of Sonny Barrios up to Salud's term.

I recall one notable and fairly recent example of this ruling :

http://www.pba.ph/news/entry/849

“Swinging of elbow is an illegal act in basketball. And whoever the perpetrator of it will have to
face the consequence,” said Salud of the infraction ALASKA import Williams committed.

Note: L.D. Williams was poked in the eyes and instinctively extended his forearm to protect the ball ..... accidentally hitting Cardona on the neck. Because of the above-the-shoulder-hit, Williams was fined P20,000 & suspended for 1 game - despite the circumstances.

Of course ...... Comm. Cheato Salud has time and again, used another set of standards, when players from certain teams are involved.  O0

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 04:41 PM »
I've seen harder fouls than that.. I'm no James Yap fan but I agree, that didn't warrant a suspension.. and here's a video of why James Yap did that to Jireh.. on the 55:38 mark of this video, you'll see Yap get hit on the face by a forearm from Jireh..

even if Jireh did that on purpose, personally, i do not find it to be a justification for Yap to retaliate. and that does not serve to mitigate the foul he committed. if every player who commits a flagrant foul on another would say that "he did something to me a while ago first", there will have to be a change of tag line -- from "PBA: Kampihan na!" to "PBA: Gantihan na!".

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 04:54 PM »
they actually changed the rules on flagrant foul suspensions during the 2009-2010 season.. it became the commissioner's discretion dahil dun sa landing spot rule dati.. it has to be FF Penalty 2 and resulted in a dire consequence..

http://www.pba.ph/blogs/entry/85
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2012 at 05:08 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 05:02 PM »
even if Jireh did that on purpose, personally, i do not find it to be a justification for Yap to retaliate. and that does not serve to mitigate the foul he committed. if every player who commits a flagrant foul on another would say that "he did something to me a while ago first", there will have to be a change of tag line -- from "PBA: Kampihan na!" to "PBA: Gantihan na!".

I'm not saying Yap's actions are justified, I'm just pointing out that the hit was not out of the blue which couldn't be said for most of Yeng Guaio's players.. most hits are in retaliation but if you've followed Yeng Guiao's teams, they're the ones who hit first.. they hit just for the sake of hitting..

and that non-suspension has happened before.. last All-Filipino Finals between Powerade and TNT, Gary David did the same to Jason Castro but it wasn't even called a flagrant..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEHX05LW8w
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2012 at 05:17 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 05:31 PM »
they actually changed the rules on flagrant foul suspensions during the 2009-2010 season.. it became the commissioner's discretion dahil dun sa landing spot rule dati.. it has to be FF Penalty 2 and resulted in a dire consequence..

http://www.pba.ph/blogs/entry/85

It's the 'discretion' part that worries those "other" teams.   ;)

ALASKA's L.D. Williams case happened just last year ...... the hit was inadvertent (as it was weak) since he was blinded from a poke in the eyes. Despite the circumstances, he was still suspended by Salud.

Earlier this year, PETRON import McDonald threw the ball in Mick Pennisi's head (the flop heard around the world) ...... it was completely intentional, yet mysteriously McDonald wasn't suspended by Salud.

Not a few conferences ago, there were numerous head-hits from PETRON's Cabagnot, Santos, etc during a tough series with TnT ..... yet no suspensions as well. 

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 06:18 PM »
it's not just SMC but more like the rich teams.. the commissioner's discretion applies favorably to rich teams..

similar to LD Williams' case was the De Ocampo elbow to Sean Anthony in last season's All-Filipino Cup finals.. it even caused a cut over Anthony's eyebrow that needed to be stitched.. Anthony didn't even get to come back in the game but it was just a Flagrant 1.. it was upgraded to Flagrant 2 by Salud with 20K fine but no suspension..

http://www.pba.ph/news/entry/1371
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2012 at 06:26 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #43 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 06:24 PM »
hehe,,,that foul by james was not professional...
pero if you compare it with other masyadong malambot pa un....
Love me or hate me.....

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 29, 2012 at 07:26 PM »
it's not just SMC but more like the rich teams.. the commissioner's discretion applies favorably to rich teams..

similar to LD Williams' case was the De Ocampo elbow to Sean Anthony in last season's All-Filipino Cup finals.. it even caused a cut over Anthony's eyebrow that needed to be stitched.. Anthony didn't even get to come back in the game but it was just a Flagrant 1.. it was upgraded to Flagrant 2 by Salud with 20K fine but no suspension..

http://www.pba.ph/news/entry/1371

I agree with this ..... that same series, wherein PETRON's Cabagnot, Santos gave hard head-hits, also saw similar hits from TnT players.

Though, I wont be surprised if the leeway given to offenders, was a result of precedence given to "favored" players.

When PETRON's McDonald didn't get suspended for throwing the ball at Pennisi's face (first time the infraction didn't result in suspension), many players and media people half-jokingly tweeted that it's open season on ball-throwing, since future offenders wont get suspended.

Sure enough, a month later SMC's Joe Devance thew the ball to TnT's Raymundo face, in retaliation for a hard foul ..... no suspension.

One thing that Comm. Cheato Salud seems to hate is hot media scrutiny ...... "Hindi ako tanga" said Salud, when it was revealed that POWERADE's initial proposal to trade Marcio Lassiter was an offshoot of the impending sale of the franchise to San Miguel Corp.

Everyone & his mother knew that the only reason Salud vetoed the trade, was due to the media expose ...... like a shrewd Noli Eala, Salud waited a conference for the scrutiny to die down - then approved the deal anyway.  ;D

========================================================================

Comm. Cheato Salud still hasn't explained why no travelling violation was called on Rafi Reavis during the closing seconds off that controversial game.

Rafi Reavis clearly RAN AWAY (travelled) with the ball with time left on the game clock ...... why the no-call, which would have given BARAKO BULL one more chance to win the game ? 

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 02, 2012 at 03:49 PM »
First acid test for The Beast Abueva later vs leader TnT.  We'll watch this for sure...

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 02, 2012 at 10:26 PM »
What a come from behind win by Alaska via Casio's 10 pt explosion :  Two 3 pt shots and a rare 4 pt play to rally Alaska from 9 pts down in the final minutes.  And of course, it was Abueva's 3 point shot that tied the game.  Tapos another Casio layup for the win, handing Tnt its first loss in the PBA.

Abueva had 14 pts, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 2 block shots.  Man, this guy can do it all. It's his hustle that rubs off to the other players.  He is now the official leader in rebounds in the PBA, after only 4 games.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012 at 10:27 PM by mattia »

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Nov 02, 2012 at 10:35 PM »
That was one hell of a game! 94-92 for Alaska.

Alaska just stole that game away from TNT behind hot and clutch shooting from Casio and Abueva. Casio scored 10pts in 58 secs (three 3s with 1 being a 4-point play) to give Alaska the lead after being down 12pts in the 4th. Ala-Reggie Miller. Then he made that game-winning layup from a set that resembled the Spurs' winning play against OKC kanina. And that 3 from Abueva to tie the game at 90 was clutch. He fouled out but his impact was felt. 14pts, 5rebs, 5stls, 2blks and a few assists. Guy's for real!

I gotta hand it to Uytengsu for giving his full support to Luigi Trillo. Not really a fan of Luigi but the moves he made with the coaching staff has been brilliant. Hiring Alas and Compton were excellent moves. Alas and Topex know how to handle Abueva. And it's obvious Compton has had a hand on those perimeter plays they keep running.

Luigi's rotation has been on the money in their 5-game winning streak. Starters remain fresh for the endgame because the bench has been solid. He's giving the bench a lot of confidence kaya maganda performance. After the 1st 2 games I thought Luigi was too raw for the PBA. So far, he's showing the opposite. One thing though that's going to hurt Alaska one of these days is rebounding. Almost did them in tonight.

Oh, and that goaltending controversy helped Alaska tonight. That was a block by Williams but I think the refs were scared of another controversy so they blew the whistle.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012 at 10:39 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Nov 02, 2012 at 10:45 PM »
That was one hell of a game! 94-92 for Alaska.

Alaska just stole that game away from TNT behind hot and clutch shooting from Casio and Abueva. Casio scored 10pts in 58 secs (three 3s with 1 being a 4-point play) to give Alaska the lead after being down 12pts in the 4th. Ala-Reggie Miller. Then he made that game-winning layup from a set that resembled the Spurs' winning play against OKC kanina. And that 3 from Abueva to tie the game at 90 was clutch. He fouled out but his impact was felt. 14pts, 5rebs, 5stls, 2blks and a few assists. Guy's for real!

I gotta hand it to Uytengsu for giving his full support to Luigi Trillo. Not really a fan of Luigi but the moves he made with the coaching staff has been brilliant. Hiring Alas and Compton were excellent moves. Alas and Topex know how to handle Abueva. And it's obvious Compton has had a hand on those perimeter plays they keep running.

Luigi's rotation has been on the money in their 5-game winning streak. Starters remain fresh for the endgame because the bench has been solid. He's giving the bench a lot of confidence kaya maganda performance. After the 1st 2 games I thought Luigi was too raw for the PBA. So far, he's showing the opposite. One thing though that's going to hurt Alaska one of these days is rebounding. Almost did them in tonight.

Oh, and that goaltending controversy helped Alaska tonight. That was a block by Williams but I think the refs were scared of another controversy so they blew the whistle.

Maybe Luigi can coach the Lakers!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2012 at 10:48 PM »
He is now the official leader in rebounds in the PBA, after only 4 games.

He isn't, actually. Before tonight, he was. After Arwind grabbed 14rebs earlier and Calvin just had 5, si Arwind uli 1st sa rebounds.

On another note, the PBA supposedly suspended the referee that called that goaltending on Williams earlier..
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2012 at 11:40 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #50 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 12:30 AM »

^ Am starting to like Alaska now, I hope they face Rain or Shine soon to see how will the 2 extra rice play against Abueva.. Like watching the beast, ang sipag, kahit san nandun..
The Pats way...

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #51 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 12:35 AM »
I saw Nic Belasco in Alaska's bench. Just wondering why he hasn't been used at all. He is one player who can do a lot of things both offensively and defensively. Does Alaska consider him too old to keep up with the younger players? Or maybe he just doesn't fit in Alaska's system.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 01:16 AM »
^ Am starting to like Alaska now, I hope they face Rain or Shine soon to see how will the 2 extra rice play against Abueva.. Like watching the beast, ang sipag, kahit san nandun..

On Wednesday, they play vs. RoS..

I saw Nic Belasco in Alaska's bench. Just wondering why he hasn't been used at all. He is one player who can do a lot of things both offensively and defensively. Does Alaska consider him too old to keep up with the younger players? Or maybe he just doesn't fit in Alaska's system.

Alaska has been playing small ball since that first win.. it's been effective offensively but their rebounding has suffered.. lucky for them though that most teams in the PBA don't really have that post game anymore.. he played earlier just to give Thoss some rest.. you'll probably see more of him and Eman against San Mig Coffee where post players are still present..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 08:36 AM »
Yup, Belasco has been lost in the Trillo's small-ball rotation ..... not to mention that Belasco has shown little speed in his PBA comeback.

Even TDLC & Baracael's minutes have been eaten up by small-ball (read: The Beast).

ALASKA got a big break with the goal-tending call on Williams ..... I'm beginning to wonder what are the league rules on such scenarios below the last 2 min.

TnT manager Castro claims there are existing rules below 2 min ...... yet last night's game and the BARAKO-SMC game showed no such thing.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Nov 03, 2012 at 12:35 PM »
It's difficult to make a comeback when you're not given enough playing time. Players can't afford to be injured. Unless, you are a big-name superstar, an injury usually means the end of your career.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Nov 04, 2012 at 09:10 PM »
Ginebra now on a 5-game slide.. coaching staff has to go.. malas pa nila at na-injure si Dylan Ababou.. I pray it's not an ACL tear cuz' the kid's promising but it looked like it is..

pansin ko lang these past few years, the top picks have been in and out of the lineup in their first few years due to injury.. Casio didn't get to play in the first few games of his rookie year.. Paul Lee is still injured after missing majority of last season's 3rd conference.. Chris Lutz missed almost the entire 2nd conference last season.. Lassiter missed the entire 3rd conference and just recently got back.. tapos ngayong season, Fajardo has just played 3 games.. before that, Al Hussaini suffered an ACL tear on his rookie year.. Maierhofer suffered an ACL tear on his sophomore year..

ang ganda ng mga rookie performances nila pero di matuloy-tuloy kasi na-iinjure kaagad.. I just find it strange that it's the young guys who get injured so fast..

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Nov 04, 2012 at 09:20 PM »

ang ganda ng mga rookie performances nila pero di matuloy-tuloy kasi na-iinjure kaagad.. I just find it strange that it's the young guys who get injured so fast..

kasi sila ang todo bigay kung maglaro. wala pang masyadong gulang kaya napupwersa. yung mga beterano di na gigil na gigil maglaro.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 12:59 AM »
Ginebra now on a 5-game slide.. coaching staff has to go.. malas pa nila at na-injure si Dylan Ababou.. I pray it's not an ACL tear cuz' the kid's promising but it looked like it is..

pansin ko lang these past few years, the top picks have been in and out of the lineup in their first few years due to injury.. Casio didn't get to play in the first few games of his rookie year.. Paul Lee is still injured after missing majority of last season's 3rd conference.. Chris Lutz missed almost the entire 2nd conference last season.. Lassiter missed the entire 3rd conference and just recently got back.. tapos ngayong season, Fajardo has just played 3 games.. before that, Al Hussaini suffered an ACL tear on his rookie year.. Maierhofer suffered an ACL tear on his sophomore year..

probably because most of the time its all brawn and not brain, mas madali nalalaspag ang mga baguhang player  dahil di pa maingat sa mga galaw nila,some 10 years ago, parang bihirang bihira yata ang nagka ACL.

in previous post, i bravely said di sisikat si abueva sa pba, well im eating my words obviously, but not to mean harm, pag di sya mag iingat at mag pace ng sarili ng tama, baka ang tamang prediction is baka di sya mag tagal, yung mga tulad nya eh very prone to injury
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline rukawakaide1721

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 03:06 AM »
Hay yung referee na tumawag ng FP1 kay paul artadi parang hindi nakita ang review ng incident....akala niya si PA ang humatak sa batok ni TY tang kasi ang angle niya ay nasa likod ni TYT kaya ang nakita niya ei yun braso ni PA after ng pagtulak ni TYT....kaya nga sumayad sa likod ng ulo ni TYT ang braso kasi nga itinulak siya ni TYT...very clear sa replay ilang beses pang inulit.....

As for Ginebra naman.....like LA Lakers sa NBA....coach at coaching staff ang dapat palitan....

Diko makuha ang idea ni tanquincien na ipapatapos kay MC47 ang laro pero hindi naman pinagsisimula.....
Happiness is a choice....

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Nov 05, 2012 at 08:44 AM »
Time for Noli "Loveboy" Eala to axe Tanquincen ....... either that or trade away much of BGK's lineup.

Like I've said many times, BGK's problems are due to minutes being spread out to too many players (loaded lineup) ...... add the fact that their lineup has much redundancy (too many scoring forwards).

If it's a coaching change, IMO Eala should make a nice offer to Boyet Fernandez to pry him out of MVP's camp ..... Boyet is a very good coach - preaches tough defense & plays a mean motion-offense.