Author Topic: Sony 32 Ex65/650 Review  (Read 10191 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Sony 32 Ex65/650 Review
« on: Oct 21, 2012 at 02:56 PM »
A Sony 32EX650 arrived at our doorsteps today and giddy little me took it for a spin. This TV is not a cheap contender! It's priced at 28500 - Expensive for it's size and more expensive than some sets with larger dimensions!

The EX650 is a FULL HD LED set with Sony's X-Reality engine with a barrage of image enhancers to make your head spin. Picture processors to control black and white levels, edge and detail enhancements, light levels, cinema drive, skin tone control, etc, etc are at your disposal...This is a "Tocino" TV! (Samsung/Sharp makes a lot of Tocino TVs too) A TV designed to serve you processed meat...uhm...What I meant was processed picture ;) If you're a cinema purist, you're going to spend your first moments with the X650 switching off all these enhancers to give you what the director intended... but if you're a real cinema purist you shouldn't even be reading this! So go over to the plasma section and  get the hell out of here! Joke ::)

On to the review...

Blu-ray:

Using our PS3 set to 1080p/24p and playing "The Avengers" you'll begin to notice that the X650 delivers very razor sharp pictures and vivid colors. And all these are backed up by deep blacks (minus the detail crush) and a good motion flow. I'm not a big fan of 100/120hz tricks because they tend to give off very unnatural movements, but the X650 does it in a subtle way some purists may even live with it. The edge enhancers accentuates fine details, further "sharpening" the entire picture. This could either be a good or a bad thing depending on your taste, but thankfully these enhancers could be switched off. Sony's Cinema drive though effectively reduces judder.

DVD:

DVD performance was competent to say the least with the X650 delivering good colors, and again very sharp pictures! The only negative aspect we observed (via a side by side comparison with the much cheaper Panasonic 32C30) was that the X650 presented a darker over-all picture! Note: Despite the darker look, black crush was kept to a bare minimum.

Image quality reminds us of the Toshiba 32PB200 minus the black crush, with sharper pictures and better rendered colors.

Screen Quality:

The X650 has a semi-glossy screen enhancing contrast and delivering deeper colors. However, the EDGE LED technology presents some corner bleeds. Screen uniformity (in my opinion) is below the Panasonic C30 and the Toshiba PB200.

Viewing angles are also not as good as IPS-Alpha panels and contrast fluctuates when viewed from either side or from the top and bottom.

-To be updated with gaming performance-

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline yygoob

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Sony 32 Ex65/650 Review
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2012 at 04:44 PM »
uy timing to im contemplating to buy the 46" version pa naman

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2012 at 05:34 PM »
Cable TV:

Standard definition programs via your run off the mill coaxial cable (SkyCable) was a step above the Panasonic 32C30X and the Toshiba 32PB200. This is an area where you'll really need those spiffy enhancers! Cable viewing was clean and better than what we've all expected.

PS3:

We noticed that input response time remains solid for the EX650. Rounds of "Marvel vs Capcom 3" delivers spot on timing making this Sony ideal for precision hungry games (as long as "Game" scene is activated via the EX650's menu).

Another observation worthwhile noting is that the EX650 produces smoother images for games. This is a plus factor for me because PS3 games almost always do not have anti-aliasing, the Ex650's "Game" scene tends to "smoothen" those jaggies for you.

Input response time further improves if "Cinema Drive" is deactivated from game mode.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM »
Sound:

My what happened here!? This is an area I hardly tackle, but I do have to mention most DVDs and High-Def materials will require you to set your volume to about 50-60 to get to hear things clearly. The EX650 begs for a Home Theater system! While this may not be a problem for some, but how about guys like me who don't really have any form of HT system? For the price I'll pay for this TV, it seems like I'll have to spend a little more for a budget sound system.

Positive:

-Great picture quality right out of the box
-Crisp razor sharp details
-Vibrant colors and very good blacks
-Good video game input response time
-Good standard definition performance
-Picture enhancements that do really well in "processing" your film

Negative:

-Expensive
-Backlight bleed evident on at least 3 corners (From our test TV)
-Very flat and soft sound
-Viewing angles compromises contrast and color (Picture washes out when viewed from angles)

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline yygoob

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 01:37 AM »
compared to samsung eh5000 which is better? ty

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM »
compared to samsung eh5000 which is better? ty

We could better compare this Sony with the EH5300
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline ana.pereira2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • "He who does not economize will have to agonize"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2012 at 09:59 AM »
hi im herwin im form Baguio City but working in makati

been following your reviews since 2011 and no doubt your probably the best here in pdvd
if you wouldn't mind could you compare this to LG32'LS5700  i dont know which to choose. what i need is a smart tv that i could use to browse without a pc or smart phones but will be able to save downloaded files say external hdds could you help me decide.

i don't do gaming but i need a tv that i could use to browse and watch tv most of the time at the same time. its embarrassing to admit i dont own a cellphone but my sister does we live in the same apt. Im not a social networking user either (never used fb or twitter) but love watching  say movies,
browsing and live streaming. pls help .
To earn what you can; spend what you must; give what you should, and save the rest—this is thrift.”

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2012 at 03:01 PM »
hi im herwin im form Baguio City but working in makati

been following your reviews since 2011 and no doubt your probably the best here in pdvd
if you wouldn't mind could you compare this to LG32'LS5700  i dont know which to choose. what i need is a smart tv that i could use to browse without a pc or smart phones but will be able to save downloaded files say external hdds could you help me decide.

i don't do gaming but i need a tv that i could use to browse and watch tv most of the time at the same time. its embarrassing to admit i dont own a cellphone but my sister does we live in the same apt. Im not a social networking user either (never used fb or twitter) but love watching  say movies,
browsing and live streaming. pls help .

We'll do a Samsung review pretty soon. Let's wait til then and thanks for the compliment.

Offline yeh-yeh

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2012 at 09:45 PM »
another great review sir, eto na talaga choice ko for an updgrade. Same lang naman siguro yung 46 model niya.
Loves steelbook!

Offline DonMiguel85

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 02:15 AM »
Intriguing TV, but the price is a turnoff at over 10K more than the competition at the same size.

Offline yygoob

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 02:31 PM »
di ba na ka sale per SNS halos pareho sa eh5300

Offline ana.pereira2011

• Collector
  • "He who does not economize will have to agonize"
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2012 at 08:27 AM »
hi to all

its been like crazy choosing the best lcd to me

just bought the 32' of this LED  lat nov 15th and GUYS ITS BANG FOR THE BUCK!

almost every one hear on pdvd forum put brands like Samsung and LG the top most brand but the truth is THERES  NOTHING LIKE SONY

i have used LG and Samsung LEDS in the past , got carried away by the forums hear in pdvd and some other forums  but in the end; IBA PA RIN PAG SONY

anyone interested of this modem pls go to ANSONS PASONG TAMO about 500meters from MAgallanes MRT Station price is tagge at 34,999P but u can haggle to 31.5K to match sights and sounds offer.

To earn what you can; spend what you must; give what you should, and save the rest—this is thrift.”

Offline Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 03:12 AM »

What about playing video files via usb?
Thanks.

Offline drunkshot

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2012 at 05:13 AM »
Cable TV:

Standard definition programs via your run off the mill coaxial cable (SkyCable) was a step above the Panasonic 32C30X and the Toshiba 32PB200. This is an area where you'll really need those spiffy enhancers! Cable viewing was clean and better than what we've all expected.

PS3:

We noticed that input response time remains solid for the EX650. Rounds of "Marvel vs Capcom 3" delivers spot on timing making this Sony ideal for precision hungry games (as long as "Game" scene is activated via the EX650's menu).

Another observation worthwhile noting is that the EX650 produces smoother images for games. This is a plus factor for me because PS3 games almost always do not have anti-aliasing, the Ex650's "Game" scene tends to "smoothen" those jaggies for you.

Input response time further improves if "Cinema Drive" is deactivated from game mode.

sir,

I have skycable digibox and it is connected to my TV via RCA.  picture quality is not that good. sometimes they get pixelized. sometimes the picture looks stretched. Should I connect my cable tv via the antenna input instead of the RCA??