Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 25719 times)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #90 on: Mar 11, 2016 at 08:58 PM »
In testing the Rpi3 using openelec . I really did not notice the speed increase that much , there is but I don't think you will miss it .. So Rpi2 owners no real need to upgrade ..

The Rpi3 wifi w/ no antenna is really as good as small dongles go.. Its much better than the  PS4 , my Android box , and the iPad mini 1..

Also one thing that impresses me with openelec is how quick and almost instantaneous it starts playback of a video file whether thru the network or via the usb port . Even my HTPC's and other media players are not that quick in starting playback
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016 at 07:57 PM by jambam »

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #91 on: Mar 15, 2016 at 10:18 AM »
Can the RP3 play H 265 files with Openlec?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Mar 15, 2016 at 08:05 PM »
I had a lot of fun and discoveries setting up the Rpi3 for a relative who is returning abroad..  I had to setup a vpn account on the Rpi , to ensure that geo locked content is view-able.

If you have a vpn account try playing the BBC content (iplayer) .  Another great one but pricy is having a ustvnow account , where you have a virtual access to US live tv and if you pay for it even dvr capabilities . you can try a free account first ..

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #93 on: Apr 06, 2016 at 04:17 PM »
Can't resist....

Offline newbieforever

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #94 on: Apr 29, 2016 at 04:34 PM »
hi all! i was thinking of getting one of these. currently available on rs-online philippines (it says they'll be able to deliver within 5 days). before i jump in, i'd just like to ask...

1.  how would this compare to an old netbook (like a eeePC or aspire one)? purely for music/movies, of course (disregard all other functions).
2.  i read that it could be used as a "headless" player with your phone/tablet as the primary monitor and controller. is this true? no need for a "fixed" monitor?
3.  (for the "older" generation) would this be similar to the XT computers of old? the ones where we had to have a DOS disk to boot (no hard disks back then)? in connection with this, is it easy to shift from one distro to another? is it as simple as swapping out memory cards?

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Apr 29, 2016 at 05:03 PM »
hi all! i was thinking of getting one of these. currently available on rs-online philippines (it says they'll be able to deliver within 5 days). before i jump in, i'd just like to ask...

1.  how would this compare to an old netbook (like a eeePC or aspire one)? purely for music/movies, of course (disregard all other functions).
2.  i read that it could be used as a "headless" player with your phone/tablet as the primary monitor and controller. is this true? no need for a "fixed" monitor?
3.  (for the "older" generation) would this be similar to the XT computers of old? the ones where we had to have a DOS disk to boot (no hard disks back then)? in connection with this, is it easy to shift from one distro to another? is it as simple as swapping out memory cards?

personal opinion to your queries
1.been using my old raspberry pi 2 for 2+ years as my main media player for my HT setup running openlec,so far it can play every video file(1080p/DTS) that i have.

2. also experimented few years ago using volumio as a headless audio player using my mobile phone as a remote and it work as it should be.but both player and mobile/remote should be connected to a wifi network when i tested it.haven't researched if it can be configured as a hotspot if no wifi network is available. currently I am using daphile installed in my old netbook and it can function as a hotspot using the laptop's wifi adapter if no wifi network is found.

3.many times powerful than the XT pc of old :D :D :D :D :D, and Yes, trying different distros is as easy as swapping sd card when booting.

Offline newbieforever

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Apr 29, 2016 at 05:16 PM »
personal opinion to your queries
1.been using my old raspberry pi 2 for 2+ years as my main media player for my HT setup running openlec,so far it can play every video file(1080p/DTS) that i have.

2. also experimented few years ago using volumio as a headless audio player using my mobile phone as a remote and it work as it should be.but both player and mobile/remote should be connected to a wifi network when i tested it.haven't researched if it can be configured as a hotspot if no wifi network is available. currently I am using daphile installed in my old netbook and it can function as a hotspot using the laptop's wifi adapter if no wifi network is found.

3.many times powerful than the XT pc of old :D :D :D :D :D, and Yes, trying different distros is as easy as swapping sd card when booting.

thanks for your inputs sir! i've been going back and forth over whether to go with this or a netbook. still undecided but leaning towards the raspberry.

sino pa dito naabutan mga XT pc? haha!

Offline rochie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Apr 29, 2016 at 05:22 PM »

thanks for your inputs sir! i've been going back and forth over whether to go with this or a netbook. still undecided but leaning towards the raspberry.

sino pa dito naabutan mga XT pc? haha!

baka walang sumagot bro, mahahalata ang edad pag umamin hahahaha. diyan ako unang natutong mag program sa XT gamit BASICA hahahaha.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Apr 30, 2016 at 06:09 AM »
I'm using the RPI as a file server using Openelec. I can stream videos and music to my android device via same wifi network using the Kodi app in Android.

I have 3 of these now as a downloader, fileserver and a media player. Nothing can beat the price per features of this nifty device.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2016 at 06:15 AM by nerveblocker »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2016 at 05:11 PM »
In testing the Rpi3 using openelec . I really did not notice the speed increase that much , there is but I don't think you will miss it .. So Rpi2 owners no real need to upgrade ..

The Rpi3 wifi w/ no antenna is really as good as small dongles go.. Its much better than the  PS4 , my Android box , and the iPad mini 1..

Also one thing that impresses me with openelec is how quick and almost instantaneous it starts playback of a video file whether thru the network or via the usb port . Even my HTPC's and other media players are not that quick in starting playback

I tried running OPENELEC in the RPi3.  Apparently all I got was a big rainbow square and it didn't push through in booting up. I read that OPENELEC doesn't support RPi3 yet. How were you able to rin OPENELEC?

I was able to use OSMC though.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2016 at 05:34 PM »
I tried running OPENELEC in the RPi3.  Apparently all I got was a big rainbow square and it didn't push through in booting up. I read that OPENELEC doesn't support RPi3 yet. How were you able to rin OPENELEC?

I was able to use OSMC though.
Just use the rpi2 image . In fact my first run was just unplugging the micro sd card from the rpi2 And plugging it into the rpi3.. 

You can also try libreelec which is just like openelec.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2016 at 08:37 PM »
Just use the rpi2 image . In fact my first run was just unplugging the micro sd card from the rpi2 And plugging it into the rpi3.. 

You can also try libreelec which is just like openelec.

I did just that and what I got is this.

Stuck up with this image.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2016 at 08:55 PM »
I have 2 of the  rpi3,  never did anything different.  Check out libreelec which is the newest version and offshoot off openelec

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2016 at 09:17 AM »
I have 2 of the  rpi3,  never did anything different.  Check out libreelec which is the newest version and offshoot off openelec

Ok I'll give it a try but the Rpi3 now is doing well with OSMC. Bluetooth and Wifi working.  :)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2016 at 07:51 AM »
I am using my RPi3 but the wifi adapter seems weak. I am using OSMC. I bought a usb ac wifi adapter and attached it to the usb port. I tried disabling the internal wifi to use the adapter but somehow it doesn't work. Any thoughts? TIA

Offline seymorebutts

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2016 at 07:55 AM »
I am using my RPi3 but the wifi adapter seems weak. I am using OSMC. I bought a usb ac wifi adapter and attached it to the usb port. I tried disabling the internal wifi to use the adapter but somehow it doesn't work. Any thoughts? TIA

sir try using a powered usb hub, ganyan din setup ko pero sa raspi2, pag direct sa kanya naka connect yung usb ac adapter, hindi nya ma recognize

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2016 at 03:41 PM »
I tried a wireless n usb adapter sa rpi2 and ok naman. Does it mean that dual band ac adapters require more power than the n ones?

Update: the wifi AC USB adapters needed drivers for Openelec to work. Have to do it via SSH.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016 at 04:34 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2016 at 09:05 PM »
1. Can you actually play 1080p @ 60fps H 265 file with RP3?
2. 4k support?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2016 at 04:36 PM »
1. Can you actually play 1080p @ 60fps H 265 file with RP3?
2. 4k support?

Remuxed files play smooth (20-25GB files with HD audio)
Haven't tried 4k though

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Jun 07, 2016 at 06:00 PM »

I attached my RPi with my 3TB HDD to my Huawei B593. I was able to stream my mkvs to my tablet flawlessly.  You just need to be in the same room for smooth playback. Tried bringing the tablet to the bathroom and buffering started.

I discovered that in order to stream flawlessly HD content,  you have to be as near to the wifi source as possible. The farther you are, the more buffering you encounter. Use a wifi extender if necessary. Distance can be your limiting factor.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2016 at 06:01 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline banting312

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Aug 15, 2016 at 11:04 PM »
tinry ko lang once kung mapapagana ko(wala kasing time i-setup), napagana ko naman and it sounded better vs 3.5mm analog jack to amp setup

raspberry pi ver B
schiit modi dac
smsl 60 amp

Sir did you use volumnio or runeaudio? How's the sound quality? Thanks!

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1210
« Reply #111 on: Nov 24, 2016 at 05:08 PM »
Not sure if this has been discussed in detail here, but what are the pros and cons of using a RPi as a media player and for streaming vs an Android TV box (and vice versa)?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Nov 24, 2016 at 06:08 PM »
The rpi is essentially a kodi box , one pro is local availability as for the other attributes better to refer you to this thread

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1210
« Reply #113 on: Nov 26, 2016 at 03:33 AM »
^thanks!  Seems like that thread is against the new S912 boxes at this point. 

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #114 on: Nov 26, 2016 at 05:43 AM »
Magkano na rpi3 ngayon? And is it better to buy in Lazada?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Dec 02, 2016 at 09:06 PM »
For a Kodi box a s905x generic box running libreelec would be a cheaper and great media player..

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Dec 30, 2016 at 08:02 AM »
OpenELEC 7.0 is now out and about

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline rochie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Dec 30, 2016 at 09:28 AM »
OpenELEC 7.0 is now out and about

Sent using Tapatalk
Great makapag update na nga,im still using the beta version.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Apr 05, 2017 at 07:19 AM »
Check out this awesome Lego+Raspberry Pi+ePaper build:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/4/15183476/lego-macintosh-classic-jannis-hermanns-raspberry-pi-zeroif

Directions are also available online how to build one.

Offline volrathj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Sep 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM »
Mga master is it worthit to get the Hifiberry?