Author Topic: Southland  (Read 948 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Southland
« on: Oct 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM »

Tried out watching the first three episodes of this series, and ended up watching all episodes until its Season 3 finale. I rarely like police dramas, but Southland is exceptional, with a first-rate cast that portrays Los Angeles policemen and detectives as imperfect, yet unrelenting in their jobs. It also features a side of L.A. that tourists will not enjoy seeing.

I liked the way it was filmed, using a mix of HD handcam and multicam shots, but unlike other shows that use this technique, the shots aren't shaky and most are nicely framed. There's also no music for an entire episode until the closing credits, which just adds to the gritty realism.

Southland started life on NBC as a summer replacement series in April 2009 with an initial run of 7 episodes. The network then renewed it for a second season, which was scheduled to air on October 2009. However, NBC screwed up its schedule in the wake of Jay Leno's return to late night TV, resulting in most of its shows being aired on a much earlier timeslot. Southland was one of the casualties, and was cancelled weeks before its Season 2 premiere, as the network deemed the drama "too dark" for its timeslot--what were they expecting, candy and sunshine?  ::)

Fortunately, cable station TNT came to its rescue, and bought the rights to the series, including the 6 unaired episodes that comprised the 2nd Season. Southland continues to thrive on TNT, and it's been renewed for a 4th Season that will return on January 2012.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Southland
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM »
5th Season premiered last Feb 13.

The good: C. Thomas Howell as crazy Dewey has been promoted to main cast.
The bad: That whatshisname from One Tree Hill was added as a recurring character--a wooden statue would've been more preferable.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM »
Started watching Season 1 of this yesterday.

I just started Episode 1 of Season 2 five minutes ago.

It's like eating Pringles.* Once you pop, you just can't stop!

=====

* - US-manufactured Pringles, that is.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2013 at 06:07 PM »
I also have this on my marathon list, especially after seeing Ben McKenzie in Conan.

Californiaaaa..

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM »
Looks like the 5th season was the last, as Southland was recently cancelled by TNT. I guess I already suspected it when most of the leads were already signed on to other projects and no announcement was made for a renewal during the time the finale aired.

I got used to the brighter colors this season than the muted palettes of seasons 1-4, but the 5th season finale was a complete downer; they shouldn't have used a cliffhanger for the finale. Of all the series cancellations this year, this is the one that I feel bad for the most, as I really liked this show.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013 at 03:34 PM »
I also have this on my marathon list, especially after seeing Ben McKenzie in Conan.

Californiaaaa..

Nuod ka ng Nashville. Kasama na si Chris Carmack. "Welcome to THE Nashville, bitch!" LOL
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...