Author Topic: Regions? what is r1, r2, r3 ... ?  (Read 28919 times)

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: R2 Question.
« Reply #30 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 03:44 PM »
I think my Philipps DVD player (which i got last year) is can handle with PAL and NTSC so that leaves that out.

Not just can handle, check if the player can convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa... as answered by sweetam's

Borismo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:what is r1, r2, r3 ... ?
« Reply #31 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 10:07 AM »
Philander and Sweetam:

Thank you again for your insights and patience.

I checked my DVD player, and (1) it is multiplayer; and (2) it has a logo that says PAL/NTSC.

Now does this mean that my player can "convert" PAL to NTSC and vice versa? You said that that it should not just "handle" but "convert". I cant find my manual, and am still searching the net. This will be a concern i think as my TV (Sony 21, Kirara) does not bear the "muli-player" sign. So i suppose my TV is just NTSC.

Will my system play a Region 2 DVD?

Thanks, am anticipating these issues. My LOTR 1 and 2 Extended Version will arrive this saturday. It will be coitus interuptus if, after much anticipation, my system will not play...

Thanks a plenty.

P.s. My dvd pala is not Philipps. Its a pioneer.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 10:39 AM »
Philander and Sweetam:

Thank you again for your insights and patience.

I checked my DVD player, and (1) it is multiplayer; and (2) it has a logo that says PAL/NTSC.

Now does this mean that my player can "convert" PAL to NTSC and vice versa? You said that that it should not just "handle" but "convert". I cant find my manual, and am still searching the net. This will be a concern i think as my TV (Sony 21, Kirara) does not bear the "muli-player" sign. So i suppose my TV is just NTSC.

Will my system play a Region 2 DVD?

Thanks, am anticipating these issues. My LOTR 1 and 2 Extended Version will arrive this saturday. It will be coitus interuptus if, after much anticipation, my system will not play...

Thanks a plenty.

P.s. My dvd pala is not Philipps. Its a pioneer.

Generally, Pioneer DVD players are multi-system (can handle PAL and NTSC discs) but not all has onboard video system converter feature.

To simplify things, please tell us the model of your Pioneer DVD player, so we can give you straight answer.

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
Re:R2 Question. Please Help!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 11:04 AM »
Gentlemen:

I hope you can help me with my question.

Just yesterday, i had somebody buy me LOTR 1 and 2 Extended Version DVDs from London. I know these discs are Region 2 issues.

Will i have no problem playin R2 dvds with my Philipps player.  I know all the DVD players sold here are unlocked/multiregional, but does the fact that the  R2 format is PAL have a bearing on my concern?

If so, what is my remedy?

Thanks a lot. Sayang kasi if i cant play it.

Appreciate the help!

Thanks.

ps. BTW how much did the LOTR 1 and 2 Extended Version DVD cost when they were sold here in the P.I.?

My player is a pioneer 535k which has the R2 logo at the back but it plays any region discs!  :)

i think most pioneer players are not region locked!  :)

Borismo

« Reply #34 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 11:50 AM »
Philander.

Sir:

My dvd player is Pioneer DV-355.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Moethug. Thanks too.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 12:01 PM »
Philander.

Sir:

My dvd player is Pioneer DV-355.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Moethug. Thanks too.

This player supports dual system but DO NOT have PAL to NTSC (and vice versa) System converter.

Your only hope is your TV, check if it is Multi-system. Or you may also opt to buy video system converter.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2004 at 12:06 PM by Philander »

Borismo

« Reply #36 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 12:37 PM »
Philander,

Thanks again.

I guess Ill do my reading. This does not make sense to me. Hmmm. Whats the point of having a multi-region player if it can not convert PAL to NTSC (say for R2 discs), which in effect means that it cant play R2?
Isnt that a bit misleading for hapless consumers like me?

Secondly, what does this mean: my player is dual system  (PAL/NTSC) but can not convert PAL to NTSC?

Pardon for my asking and I know i have to do my reading on this.  But sure appreciate if you can enlighten me on this.

Lastly, do you know where i can get good but affordable converter. Is the cost prohibitive. Kasi if so, id rather sell the DVDs or trade them and invest in a newer DVD player.

Hay.....Anyway, thanks in advance. If you need legal advice on anything, id be happy to help you and return the favor.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 01:09 PM »
Philander,

Thanks again.

I guess Ill do my reading. This does not make sense to me. Hmmm. Whats the point of having a multi-region player if it can not convert PAL to NTSC (say for R2 discs), which in effect means that it cant play R2?
Isnt that a bit misleading for hapless consumers like me?

Basically added feature lang yung system converter. Your DVD player can play your PAL disc but your TV must support PAL system.

If you know about Region coding and protection and etc... dapat nga bawal ang multi-region na dvd player, para suportahan lang yung disc sa region/country na nya specified or dedicated...

Secondly, what does this mean: my player is dual system  (PAL/NTSC) but can not convert PAL to NTSC?

Yes its dual system since it supports PAL and NTSC system but do not have video system converter. Basically you need Multi-system TV.

Lastly, do you know where i can get good but affordable converter. Is the cost prohibitive. Kasi if so, id rather sell the DVDs or trade them and invest in a newer DVD player.

Check your local AV shop for this matter. Dati may available sa SM, Xenon ang brand about Php 700. But other brand cost as much as 3K.

Hay.....Anyway, thanks in advance. If you need legal advice on anything, id be happy to help you and return the favor.

Wow legal advice.... Thanks.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2004 at 04:01 PM by Philander »

Borismo

« Reply #38 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 03:22 PM »
Ahhhhh Ok. Now that makes sense.

That means my player can read the data from a R2 disk but cant convert to show that data on a 525 line, 30-frames per second rate NTSC TV because the PAL format plays movies at 625 lines at  25 frames a second!? Gausendheit!! I knew it was all about lines and frames!!! ;D

What DVD player  can not only read a R2 disk and convert the signal to NTSC TV? Hmmm.

Oh well. I have a 1998 21" Sony Trinitron (kirara) tv. My suspicion is that its just NTSC. Cant find a manual nor does the  panel of the TV show that its multi-system. Any thoughts about this?

Now for a last question....whats the difference (in features) between the 700 pesos converter and the 3000 converter.

All these is giving me a headache. Hehe. And the LOTR 1 and 2 cost 60 pounds or about P6,000 na. Should have bought it via amazon.

Thanks again. You know what, its a gud thing your a guy, otherwise ill try to hit on you and even ask you to dinner. hehehehe.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 03:55 PM »
Ahhhhh Ok. Now that makes sense.

That means my player can read the data from a R2 disk but cant convert to show that data on a 525 line, 30-frames per second rate NTSC TV because the PAL format plays movies at 625 lines at  25 frames a second!? Gausendheit!! I knew it was all about lines and frames!!! ;D

Correct to add more. The frame size of NTSC DVD is 720x480 while PAL is 720x576

What DVD player  can not only read a R2 disk and convert the signal to NTSC TV? Hmmm.

Philips DVD players: 727K, 626, 626. Pioneer 667A. Most generic DVD players: Nextbase, SAST, Extreme, etc. (about 3K each)

Oh well. I have a 1998 21" Sony Trinitron (kirara) tv. My suspicion is that its just NTSC. Cant find a manual nor does the  panel of the TV show that its multi-system. Any thoughts about this?

I cant say, check the menu settings, if it is multi-system ther there an option to choose PAL or NTSC or Auto.

Now for a last question....whats the difference (in features) between the 700 pesos converter and the 3000 converter.

I really dont know, maybe the brand or the quality of converted video system. You know there are many types of PAL system: PAL-A, PAL-B, PAL-N, PAL-M, even SECAM... some converter supports all system while some are not...

All these is giving me a headache. Hehe. And the LOTR 1 and 2 cost 60 pounds or about P6,000 na. Should have bought it via amazon.

Try our very own Member Exchange Section. Baka makakuha ka ng better deal.

Thanks again. You know what, its a gud thing your a guy, otherwise ill try to hit on you and even ask you to dinner. hehehehe.

Dont bother, we are all here to help.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2004 at 03:58 PM by Philander »

Borismo

Re:Regions? what is r1, r2, r3 ... ?
« Reply #40 on: Mar 26, 2004 at 11:57 AM »
Can anybody recommend to me an affordable but decent PAL to NTSC converter.? How much and where do i get these thing.

What should i look for when looking for one?

Thanks

Borismo

Re:Regions? what is r1, r2, r3 ... ?
« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2004 at 01:49 PM »
BTW my dvd player is Pioneer DV-355 and my tv is a Sony Trintron.

Offline TongueNoneNew

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Regions? what is r1, r2, r3 ... ?
« Reply #42 on: Jun 27, 2005 at 02:52 PM »
Need your help on this.  I've bought this DVD (Gettysburg: Widescreen) via the internet, but it wouldn't play on my player!  I get the message "wrong coding" or something like that.  Weird thing is that this is not the first R1 DVD I've tried.  My ROTK Platinum editions were all R1 and they worked fine.  Any idea what could be wrong?

The Gettysburg DVD btw is a DVD18. Could it be that my player (a Philips) is not equipped for this?

What else could be wrong?  Kainis, I've been waiting for this DVD for sometime now! ???

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 10:18 PM »
Cheap DVD players available here in RP nowadays can playback discs of different codes/region. Moreover, these have also internal PAL-NTSC converters hence very convenient. If you can afford to buy a double disc release from the US, then you can also afford to buy one of these cheap players.  ;)

Offline happyfische

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 11:32 AM »
is r1 dvd better than r3?

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2006 at 11:47 AM »
is r1 dvd better than r3?

Normally yes.  But the gap is getting narrower by the day...specially with Warner releases.