Author Topic: Help me restore a turntable cabinet  (Read 1878 times)

Offline curvis

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
Help me restore a turntable cabinet
« on: Feb 09, 2013 at 04:13 PM »
We have this huge cabinet that's been closed for years.

My current HT setup is designed for gaming and movies, not really for home audio listening. So I'm hoping to restore this set so we can listen in the sala (current HT setup is inside a room).

Sadly it's already rotting...

Is there still hope for the turntable and receiver? My current receiver does not have a phono input, so I'm hoping to have the old AKAI restored as well. Here are the details I have:

Turntable:
Garrard 6300 (3 speed)

Receiver / Tuner:
AKAI 1020 DW (20 WPC)

Turntable looks quite bad, with some rust. I'm not sure what parts are missing.
The receiver has oxidation. I tried turning the tuner knob (FM) but the needle is not moving.
I'm pretty sure it would also need some recapping done.

Where can I have these restored, and is it still worth restoring? How much will it cost me? Can the oxidized chrome plate still be removed? I don't quite care much about the tape deck on the right, but it would be cool if I can have it cleaned as well and having it run is a bonus!

I'm very keen on having the cabinet run again, I'm sure my mom would love it and ditch the Panasonic FM/CD Player she's using every morning.

By the way, this is a picture of one of four speaker cabinets that comes with the set:

I'm pretty sure restoring the speakers is much easier compared to the receiver and turntable.
By the way, it says on the speaker and Receiver that it is 4CH Matrix. Why is the set in 4 channel setup? And does anybody have any information about the performance of the gears?

Some more pictures:

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Help me restore a turntable cabinet
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013 at 02:35 PM »
WOW  :o ganda maging project nyan sir, I would advise not to power them up before having checked by qualified technicians...

If you are capable I suggest to inspect the general connectivity inside the cabinets at kung kaya dismantle mas madali sayo to bring the individual components to the restoration guys over here like sir Rene Rivo, Noly, Timber, etc

Ganda ng kahoy, sarap liahain at retouch nyan.

Goodluck on this endeavor.

Offline Tsnad

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013 at 02:49 PM »
sarap kalikutin yung RTR basta di pa nagagalaw pwede pa yan.... >:D

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013 at 03:06 PM »
I have a similar project slated to be started this April. Parehong design na may turntable on the left, amp at the middle and open reel tapedeck sa right. Sansui nga lang yung brand ng sa akin. Wood restoration will be diy but the electronics will be handled by Dan (Sansui Dan) ang handle niya dito. Siya din nagrestore dun sa Akai receiver at TT ng father-in-law ko. Good luck sir!
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline Tsnad

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013 at 03:12 PM »
sir very rare yung RTR na sansui... ano po model..... ;D

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013 at 03:20 PM »
I'm not sure  but I will check. :) It's quite heavy kaya hindi ko pa mapagawa. My plan is to remove the TT and amp from its mounting and bring it to Dan for repairs while I try to restore yung wood. I tried it last year and even the open reel still works. May sabit na nga lang yung amp when you turn the knobs but essentially basic functions are still fine. Meron din ako isang bala nung reel to reel kaya napagana ko din. I just don't have the time right now because of other things but definitely eto ang summer project ko. :)
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline coastal

• Trade Count: (+265)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM »
Bagay ito sa Rick's Restoration.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM »

I noticed some scratches on the RTR face plate. I suggest to search online on guides how to clean old gear's case without erasing the printed lettering.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest