Author Topic: Video Streaming  (Read 1126 times)

Offline goodfella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Fuggedaboutit!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Video Streaming
« on: Apr 07, 2013 at 09:06 PM »
Has anybody tried using Netflix, Hulu here in PH? Can you share how you did it and how much did it cost?

Based on my research, there are different options:

1) get a VPN router (with US IP add) and connect your Roku / WDTV / SmartTV with Netflix, Hulu, etc.
2) get a PC-based VPN (with US IP add) and use Plex or Playon.tv to stream content to your Roku / WDTV  / SmartTV that can access a media server

Thanks in advance!

Offline haringsablay

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Video Streaming
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 07:07 PM »
Hi, I am currently watching Netflix and Hulu in my PS3, laptop, iOS devices and Android devices.

Initially, I tried strongvpn to get a US IP address. It is watchable using strongvpn but the speed of my internet (5mbps) is slower when connected to VPN. I switched to US DNS - unotelly. It just changes the DNS of your device and Hulu or Netflix would think that your accessing it in the US. There's no speed loss as well in my internet so I always get HD viewing (720p and 1080p).

Now I'm planning to buy Roku 3 and stream all shows in it.

For the cost:

Unotelly : 5usd/month (You can also try playmo.tv and unblock-us.com)
Netflix: 8usd/month
HuluPlus: 8usd/month

Offline goodfella

• Apprentice
  • Fuggedaboutit!
  • Liked:
Re: Video Streaming
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2013 at 09:52 PM »
Hi, I am currently watching Netflix and Hulu in my PS3, laptop, iOS devices and Android devices.

Initially, I tried strongvpn to get a US IP address. It is watchable using strongvpn but the speed of my internet (5mbps) is slower when connected to VPN. I switched to US DNS - unotelly. It just changes the DNS of your device and Hulu or Netflix would think that your accessing it in the US. There's no speed loss as well in my internet so I always get HD viewing (720p and 1080p).

Now I'm planning to buy Roku 3 and stream all shows in it.

For the cost:

Unotelly : 5usd/month (You can also try playmo.tv and unblock-us.com)
Netflix: 8usd/month
HuluPlus: 8usd/month

Thanks for the info! Never heard of unotelly before. I'll check it out.