Author Topic: Audio Server /Headless Audio Player/ (now with Tidal HiFidelity Streaming)  (Read 93045 times)

Offline bogart.2006

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1869
Re: Audio Server /Headless Audio Player
« Reply #180 on: Aug 17, 2016 at 07:27 AM »
They are more alike than different. At one time the group responsible for Rune created the early Ui for volumnio. Before they spun off. 

One feature before of Rune was you had a choice of optimizations that may affect audio quality.. I personally have not tried it..

There are also a few more audio specific apps for the rpi out there.   I will post a linkbbit if I am able to track down the summary I saw at one time

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Thanks bro.  Quite happy with the Rune, but willing to try out other apps as its easy to set up and install

Offline banting312

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Aug 17, 2016 at 02:00 PM »
A USB dac for the Rpi should not be a problem..  You can also try volumnio for software.

Thanks for the reply, good sir.

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Oct 10, 2016 at 07:58 AM »
They are more alike than different. At one time the group responsible for Rune created the early Ui for volumnio. Before they spun off. 

One feature before of Rune was you had a choice of optimizations that may affect audio quality.. I personally have not tried it..

There are also a few more audio specific apps for the rpi out there.   I will post a linkbbit if I am able to track down the summary I saw at one time

Sir, sorry to follow up...  but do you have the link?  Having some issues connecting Rune via wifi.  For whatever reason, it prefers a wired connection vs. wifi :-(

Looking at other options to install

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #183 on: Oct 10, 2016 at 08:46 AM »
I tried finding it but no luck at the moment .

But you can try these

Volumio
RuneAudio
SqueezePlug
PiCorePlayer
SOA (Squeeze on Arch)
PiMusicBox

I have tried the first 5 and there are more out there ..

You can also try using the I2S connection rather than USB for connecting a  DAC , In my experience the I2S connection  a cleaner output , but you would need a compatible dac

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Oct 10, 2016 at 10:07 AM »
I tried finding it but no luck at the moment .

But you can try these

Volumio
RuneAudio
SqueezePlug
PiCorePlayer
SOA (Squeeze on Arch)
PiMusicBox

I have tried the first 5 and there are more out there ..

You can also try using the I2S connection rather than USB for connecting a  DAC , In my experience the I2S connection  a cleaner output , but you would need a compatible dac

Thanks sir... already using I2S connection since I have a Hifiberry DAC on my RPi

Will try your recommendations above and update which one works the best

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 08:14 AM »
Sir, sorry to follow up...  but do you have the link?  Having some issues connecting Rune via wifi.  For whatever reason, it prefers a wired connection vs. wifi :-(

Looking at other options to install

Just to update you sir...  I got the Rune wifi to work with another router.  It wouldn't originally connect with a Linksys router, but eventually did on a TPLink one.  Who would have thought?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Audio Server /Headless Audio Player
« Reply #186 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 02:17 PM »
HI my guess is that the security setup (wep,wpa or wpa2) on your linksys vs tp-link is the issue.   As most of the protection protocols for wifi on these Linux players are coded to a single type.

Edit the linksys wifi protection setup to match your setting in rune

« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2016 at 02:28 PM by jambam »

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Oct 21, 2016 at 06:56 AM »
HI my guess is that the security setup (wep,wpa or wpa2) on your linksys vs tp-link is the issue.   As most of the protection protocols for wifi on these Linux players are coded to a single type.

Edit the linksys wifi protection setup to match your setting in rune

Ok lang sir, I'll just use the TPLink Router :-)

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Nov 08, 2016 at 10:47 PM »
Another software to try is Max2play for the Rpi...  Its an OS where you can install Squeezelite and LMS

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Feb 05, 2017 at 11:17 PM »

Just got a pm from a fellow member who wanted to do a direct connection from his phone playing Spotify to a Dac.. versus sending audio via Bluetooth..

As I had all the components ,  I tried it..

Phone -> otg cable -> USB dac with optical output -> mini spdif connector  -> optical cable ->. Opt input of dac ( emotive xda -2)

Most important element is the phone should support USB audio output

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #190 on: Feb 06, 2017 at 07:29 AM »
Just got a pm from a fellow member who wanted to do a direct connection from his phone playing Spotify to a Dac.. versus sending audio via Bluetooth..

As I had all the components ,  I tried it..

Phone -> otg cable -> USB dac with optical output -> mini spdif connector  -> optical cable ->. Opt input of dac ( emotive xda -2)

Most important element is the phone should support USB audio output

ty bro. Where to buy the adapter inbetween usb and optical connector? Do they also have usb to coax dgital connector?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline olats

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #191 on: Mar 27, 2017 at 11:22 PM »
You can do Spotify with Runeaudio. You just use phone as controller.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Mar 29, 2017 at 03:42 PM »
You can do Spotify with Runeaudio. You just use phone as controller.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

May bug yata ngayon ang RuneAudio. Walang spotify :-(

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Jul 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM »
Update ko lang ito

Switched to Volumio.  They released an app for iPhone which makes it easy to control the player.  Very satisified

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Its been a long time since I updated ... Actually my pogoplug server has been untouched for sometime ,  but very stable.

I have a vpn and also smart DNS service , and one service I have not tried was the new Hires /Lossless format streaming sites .. Which are quite expensive .($19.99 monthly for the Tidal hifi service )

But you can sign up for a free trial . So with a Tidal account and a 3rd party plugin via ickStream

Here it is using the ipeng app as player and controller .

I have only browsed Tidal's offerings sparingly as , my main intent was to get it working first with LMS. Maybe someone can post suggestions on tracks to listen to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2017 at 08:00 PM by jambam »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
I still dream of a rpi+touchscreen+volumio source setup.

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Its been a long time since I updated ... Actually my pogoplug server has been untouched for sometime ,  but very stable.

I have a vpn and also smart DNS service , and one service I have not tried was the new Hires /Lossless format streaming sites .. Which are quite expensive .($19.99 monthly for the Tidal hifi service )

But you can sign up for a free trial . So with a Tidal account and a 3rd party plugin via ickStream

Here it is using the ipeng app as player and controller .

I have only browsed Tidal's offerings sparingly as , my main intent was to get it working first with LMS. Maybe someone can post suggestions on tracks to listen to.

sir, how's the sound quality of Tidal compared to say Spotify Premium?

Offline bogart.2006

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Volumio's having issues again with Spotify... still connects but you're no longer able to see your saved playlists

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Volumio's having issues again with Spotify... still connects but you're no longer able to see your saved playlists
I just noticed that my spotify mobile app is just recently upgraded. so maybe spotify made some changes on their API that's why Volumio is having issues again. let's wait for few days Im sure the devs of the plugin is already aware of that.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
sir, how's the sound quality of Tidal compared to say Spotify Premium?
Lossless vs Lossy. If you can easily and consistently tell the difference between ogg/mp3 vs flac, then  that's your answer.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
Lossless vs Lossy. If you can easily and consistently tell the difference between ogg/mp3 vs flac, then  that's your answer.

I wanted to subscribe for Tidal or Deezer but worried that the availability of tracks may not be as vast as spotify's...I am also skeptical that the difference will be worth the subscription mark up as ill be using bluetooth5.0 and aptX-HD as a medium.

thoughts please....
im allan - 09178087173

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
I wanted to subscribe for Tidal or Deezer but worried that the availability of tracks may not be as vast as spotify's...I am also skeptical that the difference will be worth the subscription mark up as ill be using bluetooth5.0 and aptX-HD as a medium.

thoughts please....
I believe there is a trial available , which would best answer your query whether worth it or not

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
about TIDAL I've been trying to Sign-Up but to no avail, there's always this message that "the service is not available in our country". My DAP only stream for TIDAL thats why I dying to try its service.

Any tips how you guys were able to sign up?
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
I believe there is a trial available , which would best answer your query whether worth it or not

yup, that is the plan. Im just awaiting for my online order of bludento HD and pocophone F1.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
about TIDAL I've been trying to Sign-Up but to no avail, there's always this message that "the service is not available in our country". My DAP only stream for TIDAL thats why I dying to try its service.

You need to sign up for tidal at a country where it is available . Cost differ by location too just like Spotify where it is $10 in the USA and 128 peso monthly here.

Tidal I heard was cheapest in Thailand , but not available for signup here in the Philippines.

Send me a PM

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:

thoughts please....

My thoughts, if it was just a matter of Spotify vs. Tidal, I would say that I'd rather just use spotify as it is cheaper, easier to navigate, and they have a larger library). I can actually tell difference between Tidal and Spotify, BUT, only at my listening room with my equipment and with my test tracks. Give me a new song and i won't be able to tell at the first listen.

That said, lossy/spotify in combination with bluetooth is not so good, and I'd rather use flacs or tidal if I need to use bluetooth. LDAC is better though, but I only have headphones that use that codec.

I know that bluetooth is very convenient, but why not just use a streamer? And no disruptions also if you receive messages on your phone.

I asked my brother to make me an account. I believe in some facebook groups, they do group subscribings or something like that.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
You need to sign up for tidal at a country where it is available . Cost differ by location too just like Spotify where it is $10 in the USA and 128 peso monthly here.

Tidal I heard was cheapest in Thailand , but not available for signup here in the Philippines.

Send me a PM

I asked my brother to make me an account. I believe in some facebook groups, they do group subscribings or something like that.

Ok thanks Guys for the tips, would give it a try when in another country
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline taloy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
check out deezer Hifi though only 16-bit/44.1khz(flac cd quality) 250php/month....now support chromecast audio and windows and mac desktop app.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
check out deezer Hifi though only 16-bit/44.1khz(flac cd quality) 250php/month....now support chromecast audio and windows and mac desktop app.

Oh wow! Thanks for the info. I thought Hifi was only available for desktop. Will download now.

Offline taloy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
btw streaming thru your smartphone(android or ios) music quality is only 320kbps but if you cast to chromecast audio(using toslink) then hifi quality is there...hifi quality can be had in windows and mac desktop app. too.. i dump spotify(1.5 yrs. as premium subscrb..) for this service.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2018 at 04:13 PM by taloy »