Author Topic: Audio Server /Headless Audio Player/ (now with Tidal HiFidelity Streaming)  (Read 93449 times)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12

Yes , but I don't think we can just get the Sms-100 firmware .

If your use is only squeezebox , you're already all set .. Additional functionality like DNLA , airplay , or MPD of course can be programmed too .

The review advises a completely isolated usb dac for great sound , so with your ifi usb and dac you should be set already  :)

Offline kulapong

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
This is a nice thread...gusto ko rin sanang gawin pag me time or retired na...pero still...i was thinking...
whenever i use my IPOD 120GB, phone, touch, ipad and my NMT/HTPC full of FLAC and 320 mp3... parang feeling ko ang hirap pumili ng songs na gusto ko... parang mas trip ko pa rin pumunta sa dedicated room ko, where all my Vinyl/Cassette tapes/CDs are stored... titingin pataas, pababa, kaliwa, kanan...tas kung ano man ang mahawakan ko...specially sa vinyl (bias eh  he he) will look at vinyl cover... then ilalabas... ikakabit sa turntable, bagsak karayom... uupo..magkakape habang nag yoyosi......   parang mas "EXCITING" compare sa push button   O0

or aging na lang ba talaga ako??   he he
When do we sail?

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
For me, the digital source is not a substitute for the CD/Vinyl as they still rule!  But what's nice is that there are new titles and music that's not available in CD or Vinyl.  Also, with a wireless capability, I was able to set-up a headphone system which wirelessly access my music server without having to duplicate the playlists in another storage device.  So at times when I feel tired ..... due to age din ...... I donot have to open up my main system with all the manual procedure and just switch on the music server and the headphone dac/amp/router and enjoy the music.

This is a nice thread...gusto ko rin sanang gawin pag me time or retired na...pero still...i was thinking...
whenever i use my IPOD 120GB, phone, touch, ipad and my NMT/HTPC full of FLAC and 320 mp3... parang feeling ko ang hirap pumili ng songs na gusto ko... parang mas trip ko pa rin pumunta sa dedicated room ko, where all my Vinyl/Cassette tapes/CDs are stored... titingin pataas, pababa, kaliwa, kanan...tas kung ano man ang mahawakan ko...specially sa vinyl (bias eh  he he) will look at vinyl cover... then ilalabas... ikakabit sa turntable, bagsak karayom... uupo..magkakape habang nag yoyosi......   parang mas "EXCITING" compare sa push button   O0

or aging na lang ba talaga ako??   he he

Offline kulapong

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
For me, the digital source is not a substitute for the CD/Vinyl as they still rule!  But what's nice is that there are new titles and music that's not available in CD or Vinyl.  Also, with a wireless capability, I was able to set-up a headphone system which wirelessly access my music server without having to duplicate the playlists in another storage device.  So at times when I feel tired ..... due to age din ...... I donot have to open up my main system with all the manual procedure and just switch on the music server and the headphone dac/amp/router and enjoy the music.

agreed...di bale pag nag retire ako...ang isi setup ko

Pasig House database of digital music to Tagaytay house (pinag iipunan pa yung bahay he he)

So, ano ba kailangan ko:
1) audio setup
2) internet
3) jacket/yosi at maraming kape

paano kung gusto kong makinig ng vinyl sa tagaytay... ahh dapat akong maghanap ng juke box tas yung mga buttons..gawin kong electronic? sino bang meron noon he he

PEACE!
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2014 at 06:06 PM by kulapong »
When do we sail?

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
Yes , but I don't think we can just get the Sms-100 firmware .

Have you tried the new version of Fedora/Vortexbox?  I hear it is able to handle DSD.

Is there a firmware update for pogoplug to handle DSD?  I currently can't play DSD thru the pogoplug.

If your use is only squeezebox , you're already all set .. Additional functionality like DNLA , airplay , or MPD of course can be programmed too .

The review advises a completely isolated usb dac for great sound , so with your ifi usb and dac you should be set already  :)

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
The newer squeezelite ( player program in the pogoplug)  can handle dsd , but I am not sure if the current distributions of the compiled program has the switch for DSD enabled ..  If not it's  just a more involved step to compile it yourself to create a dsd capable version.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Got some new additions to try with my setup courtesy of some our fellow pdvd  members

1. Hiface usb to spdif interface ..

2. SmL Sa-36a Amplifier  , pictured with my sabre usb dac (main components is same as the odac)

Testing the SA-36 with the sabre usb dac

Functionally I have something like the cocktail audio,olive one or blusound system mentioned here in the audio sources section. Really depends how  i configure

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2015 at 03:23 PM by jambam »

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
Nice!

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Just Got the Raspberry Pi 2 yesterday

Also got it running with Arch linux and running "Squeeze on Arch".

This is the storage configuration screen where you can

1.) mount local drives e.g. removable usb hdd
2.) networks shares for use in LMS
3.) Share the local files via SMB to the network for use by Jriver or other apps

This is running under arm v7 , to maximize the new processor ...

I also have the pogoplugs running the same "Squeeze on Arch" , just doing more testing before I separate this (Headless Audio Server/Renderer) to a new Thread

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Congrats! 8)

Is there a way for the RP to work with Android tabs too? My iPad has long been sequestered by my youngest and I am only left with Android based devices.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Congrats! 8)

Is there a way for the RP to work with Android tabs too? My iPad has long been sequestered by my youngest and I am only left with Android based devices.

Thanks, and  yes it works with Android too ,1st option  my aging nexus 7 2012 is both a client and a controller , it's a 1 usd app to enable playback w/ LMS is my memory serves me .. (last Pic in my First post)

Another option is by enabling samba on the RPi , it will allow you to play the music using the app ES explorer or other audio playback apps that can connect via smb ( there are plenty and free)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
I initially thought of setting up a RP with a small monitor, but connecting a keyboard and another mouse made me think I was just building another PC though just smaller.

I think making it a server and using an android tab would get me somewhere. Though I still don't have the slightest idea of how to set it up or where to start but I guess that's where the fun is, in the challenge.

The thing is RS has it on back order status only, E14 seems to be pricing it too far off from RS price.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Headless is the way to go , with a smartphone or a tablet as a controller (or a client). Its a very neat digital setup

Yes RS actually tried to bump off my order , I had to call them several times to insure I get it .. One thing in my testing earlier was the usb ports could not support the power needed by a usb hard disk...

I am certain that will not be an issue for you , but it does clutter  the setup a bit ..

I started the project w/ the Rpi initially until I saw the pogoplug , with so many people working with the Rpi there are lots of resource on the web to do what you want ..As long as your comfortable w/ the linux cmd line , it will be fun learning experience.

I was struggling for 2 weeks to get Squeeze on Arch on the pogoplug running , but the learning paid off as I was able to do the RPi 2 in an afternoon, with most of the time taken by downloads and compiling.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2015 at 01:51 AM by jambam »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
Headless is the way to go , with a smartphone or a tablet as a controller (or a client). Its a very neat digital setup

Yes RS actually tried to bump off my order , I had to call them several times to insure I get it .. One thing in my testing earlier was the usb ports could not support the power needed by a usb hard disk...

I am certain that will not be an issue for you , but it does clutter  the setup a bit ..

I started the project w/ the Rpi initially until I saw the pogoplug , with so many people working with the Rpi there are lots of resource on the web to do what you want ..As long as your comfortable w/ the linux cmd line , it will be fun learning experience.

I was struggling for 2 weeks to get Squeeze on Arch on the pogoplug running , but the learning paid off as I was able to do the RPi 2 in an afternoon, with most of the time taken by downloads and compiling.

Yeah I guess it would be best to go "headless" for my application. I just want it to be delegated as a dedicated playback setup.

Fortunate for you, but unfortunate for me as I belong to those who were bumped off to at least end of March or April even, duh. E14 on the other hand seems to sell it much much higher than RS.

As for the USB power I have my own power plant setup for that, the RP will get it's own power supply and all other power hungry devices will be given their own source of juice.

My diy CNC runs off Ubuntu, before that, I do have a bit of experience in the linux environment but I'd belittle that since that was a long time ago. Though the experience did paid off when I built my CNC. Now I want to dive into another "unknown realm" so to speak - if I can get my hands on an RP2.

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2015 at 06:43 PM by JojoD818 »

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Re: Audio Server /Headless Audio Player
« Reply #105 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 04:21 PM »
Using an Arm Based computer and Open sourced Software , here is my base system for a digital music system ..

OS is Arch Linux with SOA ( Squeeze on Arch) as main software.

As it Stands now the sound is as good as the usb Dac that is connected to it , compatibility with the dac always needs to checked but most UAC2 capable devices , or those that connect to an apple pc without a driver should be fine .

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Feb 27, 2015 at 01:29 PM »
This is good news jambam .... DSD capability and more connectivity!  Congrats!
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2015 at 05:22 PM by JoeyGS »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Feb 27, 2015 at 02:33 PM »
The drooling never stops... oh please be out of back order status... ;D

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Feb 27, 2015 at 06:40 PM »
LMS 7.9 with DSD serving capability viewed from "Ipeng 8" on ipad

Some screen grabs of the configuration interface

The Squeezelite setup page

Name the player/setup the audio output / enable DoP if supported by your soundcard ....etc

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Testing Wireless
« Reply #109 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 02:56 PM »

I tried wireless , I had some issues with a pocket router , but using my main router ok naman

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Mar 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM »
Here is a new Renderer for JRiver and minimserver 

In a way, this device can be considered the poor man's Auralic Aries (Review Link ) or SOtM sMS-100 Mini Server (Review Link )
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/625-geek-speak-how-build-upnp-dlna-openhome-renderer-less-100/comments6.html#comments
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2015 at 10:22 PM by jambam »

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Mar 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM »
Would the BB be better than the Pogoplug?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Mar 24, 2015 at 03:52 PM »
Would the BB be better than the Pogoplug?

As a renderer/player Should be just as good , best would be to compare the 2 and maybe include the Rpi2 in the comparison . I could make it so they all run the same linux software for LMS to minimise differences . Power supply upgrades is a big factor, so the amount of tweaks you do will ultimately determine.

Another option is bypassing usb all together were a number of options are already out for the Rpi for an I2S connected Dac ,

For audio server duty the pogo plug would be better because of the built in PSU w/c supports usb powered Hard Disk.

If you can provide 2 or 3 same usb dacs and cables , I can provide the base player/renderer hardware for a shootout...

We just play the same music on all the players simultaneously, and switch between them using line level inputs of a preamp

I would suggest a base comparison first using the OEM power supplies .

After determining the platform (pogo vs BBB vs RPi) we can proceed with the choice of software. (LMS vs MPD .. others), also wired vs wireless

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #113 on: Mar 24, 2015 at 04:40 PM »
I tested last weekend my RPI/Volumio vs netbook/daphile using the same USB DAC, and I found out that the netbook/daphile has more detailed SQ(but not day and night comparison) compared to the RPI/volumio, but this was expected because I was only using a wallwart power supply for the RPI/Volumio, next project would be a 2amp regulated PSU for the RPI and will do another round of a/b testing. I also had a BBB lying around will try to setup another headless player on it and include it on the a/b testing. 

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Apr 07, 2015 at 03:20 PM »
A quick and temporary connection to test ...

Raspberry PI with I2S connected dac

Bypassing usb does improve the sound..

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Apr 11, 2015 at 10:33 AM »
Hi jambam,

Stumbled into this:  JRiver Id    http://jriver.com/Id/

The JRiver Id can be used in a 4inch square Intel NUC, INtel USB stick computer, USB stick, and Raspberry PI.  Looks interesting and may be easier to maintain with the JRiver interphase than the squeezelite/LMS

From wiki Jriver: 
The JRiver Id is a network media player. The Id (rhymes with hid) plays high quality audio from a computer anywhere on the network. It can be controlled with a smartphone as a remote, using Gizmo (for Android), JRemote (for iOS), or any standard DLNA Controller.

The Id provides an easy connection from a computer to a sound system, even when they are at opposite ends of your home.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #116 on: Apr 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM »
NICE! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Apr 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM »
Hi Joey,

Thanks

Yes there is a Jriver distribution for ARM Linux , I have seen the beta a month back and it's available for download.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95578.0

I believe it is free for limited time use  before official release , then you have to buy  a license.

I am not that familiar with J river , what do you think is the advantage over LMS ?

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 09:58 AM »
I am not sure yet if it will be more convenient wrt maintenance.  The JRiver Id provides you an OS, the music player and the firmware which can easily be installed in either an Intel NUC based system (an other PCs) or into a PI.

Am still reading thru the forum discussions.

Hope fully they can also make an installation package for other Arm based systems.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Apr 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM »
Yup as the Jriver is a commercial product it must make life easier ... But I am reluctant to spend for the license and I have several players so that adds up to a lot for me .

Any way  the best thing for me is now I can say that DSD playback works even over wireless

Playing an Sacd Rip of Fourplay

Using an LHS geek out 450 to test DSD , works wonderfully over wireless at 801.11g .. Cpu utilization was a low 6%

this is the best of the Dacs I tried so far and the absolute sound review is a testament to it ,  but after my test this goes to the market   :-[ :-[