Author Topic: Audio Server /Headless Audio Player/ (now with Tidal HiFidelity Streaming)  (Read 93029 times)

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Yep. Can't get rid of spotify as my family is already deeply invested in it, but I can get rid of tidal which I'd rather spend on new equipment.

Already have it and my initial thoughts: 1. missing the artist radio of spotify, 2. quality is very good but I occasionally have "skips" which never happen in tidal, 3. must've reinstalled the app a couple of times before the cast button came out.

Overall, so far so good and despite the skips, i can tolerate this in exchange for saving 750 a month.

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
btw streaming thru your smartphone(android or ios) music quality is only 320kbps but if you cast to chromecast audio(using toslink) then hifi quality is there...hifi quality can be had in windows and mac desktop app. too.. i dump spotify(1.5 yrs. as premium subscrb..) for this service.

Bro, if not spoty, then what server r u pulling tracks from? Tidal? Deezer? Then stream via wifi on chromecast into a better dac?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline taloy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
my setup to get deezer HiFi work are the ff.
1. deezer hifi macbook desktop app since macbook does not support chromecast protocol so i used audio cast app(https://www.wmacapps.com/audio-cast-for-chromecast).
2. i used toslink for my chromecast audio then to my stereo amplifier's spdif IN and it really sounds great. the quality of it is somehow cd quality or better, it depends what wifi protocol you are using mine is 802.11ac.

3. btw chromecast audio supports up to 24 bit/96 khz only.

deezer Hifi is quite pricey 250php/month but im happy with it.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2018 at 07:14 AM by taloy »

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
bro, where did you buy an optical cable with 1 end having 3.5mm optical and the other end as the usual toslink?...or did you use an adaptor at one end?

ill be using Samsung galaxy S7E to stream music into CCaudio and then connect the CCA into a musical fidelity DAC via optical cable. if I have the tracks downloaded into the phone instead of streaming it, can I still use the WIFI connection?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline taloy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2018 at 11:12 AM by taloy »

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
bro, where did you buy an optical cable with 1 end having 3.5mm optical and the other end as the usual toslink?...or did you use an adaptor at one end?

ill be using Samsung galaxy S7E to stream music into CCaudio and then connect the CCA into a musical fidelity DAC via optical cable. if I have the tracks downloaded into the phone instead of streaming it, can I still use the WIFI connection?

Technically speaking, the samsung is only a controller; it basically will tell the CCaudio to stream and play the tracks you select in your phone. If you have spotify and downloaded tracks on your phone, the CCaudio will stream again and ignore the downloaded data in your phone. If you meant you have standard flacs or mp3s on your phone, you can set it up as a music server and via your upnp app, and CCaudio will stream them.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
Technically speaking, the samsung is only a controller; it basically will tell the CCaudio to stream and play the tracks you select in your phone. If you have spotify and downloaded tracks on your phone, the CCaudio will stream again and ignore the downloaded data in your phone. If you meant you have standard flacs or mp3s on your phone, you can set it up as a music server and via your upnp app, and CCaudio will stream them.

could this be the reason why I normally hear audio stuttering even if im playing downloaded deezer tracks? I used to think that downloaded tracks should be transported via Bluetooth from the phone to the audio system......hence, assuming the download is flawless, playtime should be flawless and independent of the wifi signal.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline taloy

• Collector
  • Liked:
using smartphone deezer app cast to CCaudio sucks...their app usually lost connection to CCaudio after 2 mins. of playing you might as well try their desktop app. it's much more stable.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
I'm using that as well as 5v3a power. Deezer still occasionally hiccups. Its really deezer.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
using smartphone deezer app cast to CCaudio sucks...their app usually lost connection to CCaudio after 2 mins. of playing you might as well try their desktop app. it's much more stable.
bro, im using deezer on phone transported to arcam rblink Bluetooth DAC, not CCA on wifi.
maybe it is really deezer, regardless if its wifi/cca or bt/rblnk.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline taloy

• Collector
  • Liked:
as i said deezer mobile app is really infested with bugs lol...you might as well download the desktop app it is much more stable from there you can cast in any u want either thru BT or wifi but for me casting using wifi sound much better and i cud cast my HiRes flac files too since wifi does not downscale my flac files unlike BT w/c is not suitable for HiRes files except sony's LDAC.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2018 at 12:23 PM by taloy »

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
as i said deezer mobile app is really infested with bugs lol...you might as well download the desktop app it is much more stable from there you can cast in any u want either thru BT or wifi but for me casting using wifi sound much better and i cud cast my HiRes flac files too since wifi does not downscale my flac files unlike BT w/c is not suitable for HiRes files except sony's LDAC.

clear. thanks. ill try to DL desktop version of the deezer app instead. the stuttering sound is really annoying.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
i hooked up the CCA last night but using only the stock 3.5mm analog cable. id say the internal DAC is sufficient. tonight ill be using a Toshiba toslink going into musical fidelity DAC and tube buffer...i sure hope for an improvement from last night's....although im already happy as it is already.

the only pending action for me now is to configure the phone as the music server and as usual, i am going to need guidance from members here with more experience on this.

thanks for the help peeps. :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline marudo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
i hooked up the CCA last night but using only the stock 3.5mm analog cable. id say the internal DAC is sufficient. tonight ill be using a Toshiba toslink going into musical fidelity DAC and tube buffer...i sure hope for an improvement from last night's....although im already happy as it is already.

the only pending action for me now is to configure the phone as the music server and as usual, i am going to need guidance from members here with more experience on this.

thanks for the help peeps. :)
IMHO Madaming options for making your phone as server.

1. Bubble Upnp (paid), Android only
2. Linn Kazoo (free)
3. Ipeng (paid)

Headfi setup ba ito? Hndi kasi magndang DNLA server ang phone. Baka magkaroon ng latency @ your end when u cast it via wifi, LAN or bluetooth.

Try using a powerful PC for managing your song and use your phone as UPnP renderer. Mas mgnda ang performance nya. Powerful PC will provide a robust database performance.

If you opt for PC as music server, here are ur choices (Mac, Win, Linux) and like to recycle a not-so-old intel PC. I tried the ff

1. Minimserver (free)
2. Roon core (paid) - excellent remote and indexing ($100/yr and $499/lifetime)
3. Plex Media Server (paid)
4. Soundstage (cheaper alternative to Plex)
5. Squeezelite and Logitech Media Server (free).. it is my prefered free music server
6. Daphile (free).. you can use it as a player however making it a server is a bit tricky

If you like hardcoding or a linux geek
you can try the ff:

1. Gerbera
2. Snappy

.. best part is they are free.. you will do a little voddoo in the linux shell to configure these

If you are on a budget and would like to tinker a little try raspberry pi. I use the ff:

1. Picoreplayer (free). I configure this RPi as a Samba Server as well as built in Logitech Media Server

2. Volumio (free). You can activate LMS plugin and you can point any storage device and HDD as your musuc storage.

Just name your poison.
Onkyo A9000R, A9070, Sansui 6, Marantz 1072, NA8005, Epos M12, Allo Katana, Digione, Usbridge

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
IMHO Madaming options for making your phone as server.

1. Bubble Upnp (paid), Android only
2. Linn Kazoo (free)
3. Ipeng (paid)

Headfi setup ba ito? Hndi kasi magndang DNLA server ang phone. Baka magkaroon ng latency @ your end when u cast it via wifi, LAN or bluetooth.

Try using a powerful PC for managing your song and use your phone as UPnP renderer. Mas mgnda ang performance nya. Powerful PC will provide a robust database performance.

If you opt for PC as music server, here are ur choices (Mac, Win, Linux) and like to recycle a not-so-old intel PC. I tried the ff

1. Minimserver (free)
2. Roon core (paid) - excellent remote and indexing ($100/yr and $499/lifetime)
3. Plex Media Server (paid)
4. Soundstage (cheaper alternative to Plex)
5. Squeezelite and Logitech Media Server (free).. it is my prefered free music server
6. Daphile (free).. you can use it as a player however making it a server is a bit tricky

If you like hardcoding or a linux geek
you can try the ff:

1. Gerbera
2. Snappy

.. best part is they are free.. you will do a little voddoo in the linux shell to configure these

If you are on a budget and would like to tinker a little try raspberry pi. I use the ff:

1. Picoreplayer (free). I configure this RPi as a Samba Server as well as built in Logitech Media Server

2. Volumio (free). You can activate LMS plugin and you can point any storage device and HDD as your musuc storage.

Just name your poison.
thanks bro. this is too much info for me at the moment. hehe.

i am actually downloading tracks from spotify and deezer servers into my phone and those are the files that i am referring to be played directly into the streamer and not from the app servers)….i was informed this isn't possible :(

at this time i haven't planned on having a dedicated local music server yet. i am still happy with the Deezer hifi quality though pissed with the occasional skips. i am more fond of standard and pop music than the usual jazz/instrumental/vocals used for testing hifi systems. in fact, old OPMs are my thing recently :)….hence, tidal wont make me happy or probably having a dedicated local music server since i would presume that the songs i long for wont be having hi-fi versions at the moment.

for the same reason, i am keeping my active wireless speakers until these music genre im currently into becomes a mainstream for hi-fi playback. (24bit/96KHz or above).

my system transmits only at 16bit/44KHz from its hub into the active/wireless speakers. this is good enough for me at the moment.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
i believe 5G will be the enabler for the higher resolution tracks from app servers hence making 24bit/96KHz the mainstream or even higher.

active wireless systems by that time would also advance in parallel. it will be fun. i hope we wont be needing memory banks by then....meaning data transmission will be flawless (no more skips and hiccups).

im allan - 09178087173

Offline marudo

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
thanks bro. this is too much info for me at the moment. hehe.

i am actually downloading tracks from spotify and deezer servers into my phone and those are the files that i am referring to be played directly into the streamer and not from the app servers)….i was informed this isn't possible :(

at this time i haven't planned on having a dedicated local music server yet. i am still happy with the Deezer hifi quality though pissed with the occasional skips. i am more fond of standard and pop music than the usual jazz/instrumental/vocals used for testing hifi systems. in fact, old OPMs are my thing recently :)….hence, tidal wont make me happy or probably having a dedicated local music server since i would presume that the songs i long for wont be having hi-fi versions at the moment.

for the same reason, i am keeping my active wireless speakers until these music genre im currently into becomes a mainstream for hi-fi playback. (24bit/96KHz or above).

my system transmits only at 16bit/44KHz from its hub into the active/wireless speakers. this is good enough for me at the moment.

I see. Minsan wala din sa tidal yung mga OPM n gusto ko.. in terms of sonic quality, I prefer Qobuz.. buy stuff in qobuz. as well as HD tracks..

Matagal p mga lumang OPM bago maging available s hires.. as in remastered to hires. ripped vinyl will sound different pero its useless..

be careful s ripped tidal tracks.. not sure s spotify and deezer.. pag naripped na s tidal, prang naka equalize for "loudness" war..

basta ba available yung track n gusto mo. kahit d sya hires.. masaya ka pa din.

I mean kahit naka airport or cast yung track mo.. ok pang pala.. 16/44 nmn.. so wlang lagging yan..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Onkyo A9000R, A9070, Sansui 6, Marantz 1072, NA8005, Epos M12, Allo Katana, Digione, Usbridge

Offline marudo

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
i believe 5G will be the enabler for the higher resolution tracks from app servers hence making 24bit/96KHz the mainstream or even higher.

active wireless systems by that time would also advance in parallel. it will be fun. i hope we wont be needing memory banks by then....meaning data transmission will be flawless (no more skips and hiccups).

hopefully.. 3G and 4G nga palpak na ang globe at smart.. im positive s 3rd telco.. Mislatel.. pero may drawbacks ang 5G.. ewan ko kung totoo.. s Norway.. nangamatay daw mga ibon during testing..

quick fix.. go LAN.. hiccup free..
i

I think active wireless will highly appeal to millenials and city folks.. hardcore audiophiles will still prefer separates.. better DACs.. preamps.. twaekable kc ang separates.. I dont like the sound signature and dynamics of Class D amps.

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
I see. Minsan wala din sa tidal yung mga OPM n gusto ko.. in terms of sonic quality, I prefer Qobuz.. buy stuff in qobuz. as well as HD tracks..

Matagal p mga lumang OPM bago maging available s hires.. as in remastered to hires. ripped vinyl will sound different pero its useless..

be careful s ripped tidal tracks.. not sure s spotify and deezer.. pag naripped na s tidal, prang naka equalize for "loudness" war..

basta ba available yung track n gusto mo. kahit d sya hires.. masaya ka pa din.

I mean kahit naka airport or cast yung track mo.. ok pang pala.. 16/44 nmn.. so wlang lagging yan..

yes, music matters more to me than the SQ kaya ill be happier with deezer at the moment kaysa sa hi-res na jazz/instrumental/vocals music.

the only issue i have now with deezer is yun nga skips. nkk irita.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
hopefully.. 3G and 4G nga palpak na ang globe at smart.. im positive s 3rd telco.. Mislatel.. pero may drawbacks ang 5G.. ewan ko kung totoo.. s Norway.. nangamatay daw mga ibon during testing..

i

I think active wireless will highly appeal to millenials and city folks.. hardcore audiophiles will still prefer separates.. better DACs.. preamps.. twaekable kc ang separates.. I dont like the sound signature and dynamics of Class D amps.

can you advise how i can go wired LAN given my set up:

phone - chromecast -(optical wire)- dac -(rca)- tube buffer -(rca)-  wireless hub for speaker -(kleer wireless technology)- speaker.

the only part in this link with ethernet provision is the wireless audio hub for the speakers.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:

i

scary. if birds could die, im sure effect to humans wont be negligible.
ive been to full separates as in all power supplies are in separate chassis, amps are monoblocks, DACs are outboard with outboard buffers. i couldn't agree more...the dynamics of these systems will shock a newbie :)

i guess ive gotten old to flip that much qty of switches ON and OFF and recently found fun in bits and Hz of the digital domain.

most of all, the convenience and availability of music in this domain is hard to beat. tinamad nako mag abang ng for sale LP and CDs bearing the music i want to listen to. tinamad na din tumayo ng upuan habang nakikinig para magpalit ng plaka or tugtog sa plaka. haha
im allan - 09178087173

Offline marudo

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
can you advise how i can go wired LAN given my set up:

phone - chromecast -(optical wire)- dac -(rca)- tube buffer -(rca)-  wireless hub for speaker -(kleer wireless technology)- speaker.

the only part in this link with ethernet provision is the wireless audio hub for the speakers.
U can consider changing chromecast ng mga streamers. they have LAN.. very noisy ang chromecast.. nka fiber connection k bro?

mdmi maggndang streamers in the market. they provide a better control on the THD of the device. mas mggnda ksi conditioning ng output stage nila compared s chromecast.  u can add a linear power supply to the streamer and attain d analog sound u want too.

actually I ditched my tube buffer because contrary to the belief of many.. hnd lhat ng tubes nagbbgay ng mala analog na sound. it just exacerbate the noise. nsa OPAMP ang sikreto. with my current setup.. I get a better cymbals decay, blacker sound, deep base and a very organic raspy voice

optical I think hanggang 96khz/24 bit..

Offline marudo

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
yes, music matters more to me than the SQ kaya ill be happier with deezer at the moment kaysa sa hi-res na jazz/instrumental/vocals music.

the only issue i have now with deezer is yun nga skips. nkk irita.
so kaya mas okay skn ang spotify.. max nya is 320 kbps @ 44.1/16.

Stable ang spotify.

Offline marudo

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
scary. if birds could die, im sure effect to humans wont be negligible.
ive been to full separates as in all power supplies are in separate chassis, amps are monoblocks, DACs are outboard with outboard buffers. i couldn't agree more...the dynamics of these systems will shock a newbie :)

i guess ive gotten old to flip that much qty of switches ON and OFF and recently found fun in bits and Hz of the digital domain.

most of all, the convenience and availability of music in this domain is hard to beat. tinamad nako mag abang ng for sale LP and CDs bearing the music i want to listen to. tinamad na din tumayo ng upuan habang nakikinig para magpalit ng plaka or tugtog sa plaka. haha
yep.. not an LP fan. Im in to convinience also in terms of music format. pero pagdating s setup.. hangga't maari, gusto ko separates... given space and money..

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
im allan - 09178087173

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
This device is actually is going to be an update to my multi room audio setup .

As Chromecast audio has been discontinued . This could be. A substitute . This could also replace my pogoplugs

for better  sq  I prefer hd streams over WiFi  vs Bluetooth. 

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
Am using my MacBook Pro as a streamer, connected by USB to my Chord DAC and playing Tidal via Roon.  Sound is very good especially for MQA tracks.  Would like to realize an  SQ improvement by taking the MBP out if the chain and replacing it with a dedicated streamer.  Any recommendations?  Am looking at buying the Bluesound Node 2i from Amazon as it is relatively cheap ($500).
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Collector
  • Liked:
Am using my MacBook Pro as a streamer, connected by USB to my Chord DAC and playing Tidal via Roon.  Sound is very good especially for MQA tracks.  Would like to realize an  SQ improvement by taking the MBP out if the chain and replacing it with a dedicated streamer.  Any recommendations?  Am looking at buying the Bluesound Node 2i from Amazon as it is relatively cheap ($500).

What sound quality improvement are you expecting? I don't really feel any significant difference between my bluesound node 2, chromecast audio, raspberry pi with digiberry, and surface pro, used as streamers. I feel that maybe the bluesound sounds slightly cleaner, but it's probably psychological.

OT: Does Chord support MQA already? I thought he was anti-MQA.