Author Topic: 4K Ultra HD  (Read 159981 times)

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
Re: 4K Ultra HD
« Reply #390 on: Jan 11, 2016 at 11:34 PM »
looking for an Ultra HD source, Panasonic has the answer in this year's CES:  ;) :D
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/panasonic-dmp-ub900-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-specs-news-pricing/
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline jambajuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #391 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 12:27 PM »
Those who have an LG smart tv.

Do you have Netflix available on the app.store? When I got my 4k TV, wala Siya. Not even available for download. But I heard Samsung and Sony just updated their app.store so meron na. LG wala pa.

Another thing is, I'm subscribed to pldt 3 mbps and Netflix ultra hd. I'm getting 480p up to 720p resolution. Is that normal? Sorry because I'm new to this Netflix and 4k TV thing

We're you able to solve this? Planning to get the LG 55UF680T next week and I really hope its available in the app store.

Offline onepaks

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM »

We're you able to solve this? Planning to get the LG 55UF680T next week and I really hope its available in the app store.
not yet sir. Netflix still doesn't show in the list of apps for download in LGs app store. Been using my ps3 to watch Netflix.

I'll just settle for a media player that plays all kinds of files including mkv and 4k movies and can accommodate external hard drive.

Was thinking of Roku 4 but then it won't play mkvs and 4k movies via the usb. It can only stream 4k contents via Netflix. Need something that does both specifically the ability to play all kinds of files including 4ks.

Any suggestions

Offline jambajuice

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 07:05 PM »
not yet sir. Netflix still doesn't show in the list of apps for download in LGs app store. Been using my ps3 to watch Netflix.

I'll just settle for a media player that plays all kinds of files including mkv and 4k movies and can accommodate external hard drive.

Was thinking of Roku 4 but then it won't play mkvs and 4k movies via the usb. It can only stream 4k contents via Netflix. Need something that does both specifically the ability to play all kinds of files including 4ks.

Any suggestions

may i ask what your tv is? Is it running webos 2.0? cause my friends lg tv had it built in. I wonder if the one I plan to get it has it too.

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 07:06 PM »
Yes Web 2.0

Offline jambajuice

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 07:22 PM »
Yes Web 2.0

Hmmm. Now I'm reconsidering if I should get the tv or not. Whats your tv model? Have you tried updating your tv? weird kasi my friends lg tv which he bought her came with netflix built in.

EDIT: Saw this from LG PH twitter. http://www.lg.com/ph/inside-lg/Lg-tvs-with-netflix

The one I'm getting, the 55UF680T is scheduled for March. Till then, guess I'll use the PS4 too.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2016 at 07:25 PM by jambajuice »

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 07:29 PM »
Same model 680t 55 inch.

No built in Netflix and not in lg app store too. Tried updating but it says I have latest version.

Offline jambajuice

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 08:33 PM »
Same model 680t 55 inch.

No built in Netflix and not in lg app store too. Tried updating but it says I have latest version.

Guess we both have to wait till March. Two months nalang yan. Haha! How's the tv by the way? Any complaints?

Offline onepaks

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 09:04 PM »
Pretty good. Playing 4k clips via the usb is amazing. It doesn't have the best up scaling but does a decent job.

Offline Conan

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 796
« Reply #399 on: Jan 15, 2016 at 09:15 PM »
Those who have an LG smart tv.

Do you have Netflix available on the app.store? When I got my 4k TV, wala Siya. Not even available for download. But I heard Samsung and Sony just updated their app.store so meron na. LG wala pa.

Another thing is, I'm subscribed to pldt 3 mbps and Netflix ultra hd. I'm getting 480p up to 720p resolution. Is that normal? Sorry because I'm new to this Netflix and 4k TV thing

I have an LG Smart TV though it's only full HD not 4K but it now has Netflix even without downloading it from the LG app store:

Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #400 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 11:56 AM »
To 4k or not 4k?

Hi guys I'm planning to replace my Toshiba 46 PB20 in the next couple of months.
I'm currently debating if I should go 4k or stick with Full HD?

My main concern with 4k is perhaps scaling issues with non 4k and 1080p material.

Here's my primary usage
- Movies!! MKV and Blurays
- DVD's!! I held on to my DVD's and I would like them to look decent enough to watch. I fear 4k might make them look bad.
- Gaming
- PC monitor (heard a lot about scaling issues especially very small text)

I care nothing for "SMART" features. Budget is below 50k so I'm looking at the Sony KDL 50w800c or Sony KD 49x8000c

What say you? TIA

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
« Reply #401 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 04:49 PM »
My main concern with 4k is perhaps scaling issues with non 4k and 1080p material.

Here's my primary usage
- Movies!! MKV and Blurays
- DVD's!! I held on to my DVD's and I would like them to look decent enough to watch. I fear 4k might make them look bad.

I've not had issues with scaling. 480p is about as viewable as 480p gets in my case, though I do use a PC to do all the resolution scaling (just letting the TV do the frame interpolation).

Input lag is also now very low for most of the new UHD TVs (unlike in 2013 and 2014). You can always bring in a USB jump drive to playback 480p, 720p and 1080p content on UHD TVs on display. That'd give you a better idea of how the internally-scaled image will look like.

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #402 on: Mar 08, 2016 at 08:09 PM »
Thanks for the input Stagea.

Yup DVD still accounts for about 20% of my viewing so it's very important.
I've read good things about the Sony X1 4k upscaler, I just need to get feedback from fellow peers.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #403 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 12:16 AM »
Which players/tv's have the best upscaling at the moment?

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
4K Ultra HD
« Reply #404 on: Mar 09, 2016 at 09:48 AM »
The Samsung js9000 and js9500 have very good 4K upscaling as well as the Sony x9400 series...

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #405 on: Mar 10, 2016 at 11:27 PM »
The Samsung js9000 and js9500 have very good 4K upscaling as well as the Sony x9400 series...

I'll check it out at the shops.  Hope they let me play my USB stick.

What about media players? Or software for HTPC's?

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Mar 11, 2016 at 12:30 AM »

Scaling to 4K is a bit heavy on processing without hardware acceleration. GPUs do it quite well (recent dedicated and integrated units). If you're looking for HDMI 2.0 support, current Nvidia units have it natively (current Intel units need a DP to HDMI dongle to get HDMI 2.0; this is also true for AMD except for the Carrizo APU). Fully-accelerated HEVC decode is another Nvidia GPU advantage at the moment (the only other x86 solution at the moment is the Carrizo APU).

While PCs can likely do better than most consumer devices when it comes to video scaling, it currently is in a disadvantage when it comes to native UHD content. UHD Blu-ray drives are yet to be seen.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2016 at 12:46 AM by Stagea »

Offline DTNS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Mar 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM »
Scaling to 4K is a bit heavy on processing without hardware acceleration. GPUs do it quite well (recent dedicated and integrated units). If you're looking for HDMI 2.0 support, current Nvidia units have it natively (current Intel units need a DP to HDMI dongle to get HDMI 2.0; this is also true for AMD except for the Carrizo APU). Fully-accelerated HEVC decode is another Nvidia GPU advantage at the moment (the only other x86 solution at the moment is the Carrizo APU).

yup. you need at least an NVidia GTX 950 for HDMI 2.0 support.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #408 on: Mar 11, 2016 at 03:28 PM »

Check out the NVidia Shield Android TV and HiMedia Q10 and H8...
The Oppo 103 has very good 4K upscaling too but is not a native 4K player...

Offline jgl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #409 on: Mar 27, 2016 at 11:21 PM »
Hi guys, any recommended 4K tvs available here with 4:4:4 chroma sbsampling? I dont find here the models recommended in the US (ex. Sammy ju7500 or ju6500). For PC use.

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #410 on: Mar 30, 2016 at 08:18 PM »
Sony 49X8300C or Samsung 55JU6600?

Offline DTNS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Mar 30, 2016 at 08:44 PM »
Sony 49X8300C or Samsung 55JU6600?

easy, the bigger one!  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Mar 30, 2016 at 10:39 PM »
Hi guys, any recommended 4K tvs available here with 4:4:4 chroma sbsampling? I dont find here the models recommended in the US (ex. Sammy ju7500 or ju6500). For PC use.

When looking at Samsung TVs, check the Picture Options menu for an "HDMI UHD Color" entry. If the TV has that option, it should be capable of 4:4:4 UHD @ 60 Hz.

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Mar 31, 2016 at 12:57 AM »
easy, the bigger one!  ;D

Kaso mataas kasi reviews ng Sony and maganda daw pq. Saka hindi kasi ako kampante sa durability ng Samsung. Yung 2 Samsung HDTV namin yung isa 40" 2 years lang tinagal ng panel tapos yung 32" naman sira agad ang speakers unlike yung ibang HDTV namin na ibang brand (Panasonic and Sharp) umabot ng more than 5 years.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2016 at 01:00 AM by leomarley »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Mar 31, 2016 at 01:20 AM »
Kaso mataas kasi reviews ng Sony and maganda daw pq. Saka hindi kasi ako kampante sa durability ng Samsung. Yung 2 Samsung HDTV namin yung isa 40" 2 years lang tinagal ng panel tapos yung 32" naman sira agad ang speakers unlike yung ibang HDTV namin na ibang brand (Panasonic and Sharp) umabot ng more than 5 years.
That particular model po ba ng Sony sir ang maganda yung reviews? IPS ang series nato ng Sony, afaik. This is similar to the x83c and x830c models. Very good video processing coupled with a low contrast panel (shallow blacks).

As for the reliability part, go with what you're comfortable with.

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Mar 31, 2016 at 01:26 AM »
Well, mataas relative to its price which is 4k under $1000. Although kaunti lang yung nabasa ko na review for this (x830c/x8000c/x83c).

Offline DTNS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Mar 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM »

I agree about the durabililty part about Samsung. we owned both a Samsung and LG 32" lcd tv. the Samsung developed vertical lines after 2 years making it practically unusable. the LG? still works fine till today.

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Mar 31, 2016 at 10:11 AM »
I agree about the durabililty part about Samsung. we owned both a Samsung and LG 32" lcd tv. the Samsung developed vertical lines after 2 years making it practically unusable. the LG? still works fine till today.
Ayan nadagdagan pa doubts ko sa Samsung. I honestly think na their questionable durability is being overlooked by reviewers. Di talaga maganda experience lo sa kanila. Meron din pala ako isang Samsung product na nasira kaagad which is yung htib ko dati. Wala pa 1 year naka ilang repair na.

I'd love to have a bigger screen but not at the cost of durability. So I guess I might go with Sony on this.

Offline DTNS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Mar 31, 2016 at 04:15 PM »
Ayan nadagdagan pa doubts ko sa Samsung. I honestly think na their questionable durability is being overlooked by reviewers. Di talaga maganda experience lo sa kanila. Meron din pala ako isang Samsung product na nasira kaagad which is yung htib ko dati. Wala pa 1 year naka ilang repair na.

I'd love to have a bigger screen but not at the cost of durability. So I guess I might go with Sony on this.

consider also the LG equivalent. :)

TBH, I think the next display upgrade for me is the LG 55EG910 Full HD OLED TV. there is hardly any 4K material around that it's mostly irrelevant. I'd rather have the best blacks, color, PQ, than extra pixels and eventual backlight bleeding. hehe.

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Mar 31, 2016 at 04:18 PM »
Ngayon kasi naka-50" na rin ako. Medyo parang bitin na sa sharpness. Also had a look at my friend's 4k TV and while content is not yet there, ganda ng upscaling to 4k while playing an xb1.