Author Topic: Justice League  (Read 12011 times)

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Justice League
« on: Dec 01, 2001 at 08:41 PM »

We just finished the pilot episode of Justice League on VCD and I have to admit that it was a super enjoyable Saturday morning ride! As mentioned by other members, this one is done in the typical Timm and Dini style. Execution is probably closer to Batman Beyond because of the noticably higher level of violence. Frankly, I was surprised that the Cartoon Network let it air without additional cuts - but I'm not complaining. Super Friends fans may miss the innocence of the original show, but Justice League is clearly a superior viewing experience with better character development and an eye out for more sophisticated and compelling storylines.

The hour-long pilot, "Secret Origins" gives the backstory of how the League was formed. Without giving spoilers, the episode incorporates elements from War of the Worlds, Independence Day, and The Matrix (sort of). Catching the references added to the fun.

Overall, the show is hip, smart, and typical of many American shows these days, politically-correct. Superman isn't as powerful and dominating as he's normally portrayed, and the show hints that Wonder Woman's strength may be on par with his sans the invulnerability. Nothing gets past her wrist bands though. She flies as well negating the need for an invisible jet. Batman is his typical anti-social dark knight self. Green Lantern is played by John Stewart, who's African American complete with a Shaft attitude. The Flash is Wally West who's brash, smart-mouthed, and generally a hard-headed kid. The Martian Manhunter is the creepy, mysterious alien from a strange land. Hawkgirl ups the gurrrl power quotient of the team with her Thor-like warrior ferocity and battle mace.

Overall, Justice League is addicting. Hopefully it hits Asia sooner than later, but I wouldn't count on it. Just wait for the inevitable Season One boxed set.

Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a copy of "In Blackest Night" which comprises the second and third episodes. More on that next week.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline trekker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Justice League
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2001 at 10:25 PM »
Thanks for the great review! :D Where can i get a copy of the VCD? Actually, I prefer VHS since the VCDs don't come out clear in my DVD player. Are VHSes of the Justice League available?
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

NY152

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2001 at 10:57 PM »
Whew! For a moment there, I actually thought there was a thread here discussing that strange live-action "Justice League" TV movie they show on HBO from time to time. Anyone see that? It looks like a pilot that went really, really wrong.

Actually, I prefer VHS since the VCDs don't come out clear in my DVD player.

If I can't find a title on DVD, VHS is still preferable to VCD for me. I can't stand the pixelation on VCDs!

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2001 at 04:08 AM »

Where can i get a copy of the VCD?

trekker - unfortunately, I just borrowed the Justice League VCD from an officemate. This isn't an official home video release yet since only 4 episodes have actually aired in the US. The copy I viewed was obviously taped from the Cartoon Network.

If you really want to see it, send me a PM. I'll talk to him on Monday.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2001 at 08:19 AM »

Whew! For a moment there, I actually thought there was a thread here discussing that strange live-action "Justice League" TV movie they show on HBO from time to time. Anyone see that? It looks like a pilot that went really, really wrong.

Oh, yes, it was awful. And the characters were made to look ridiculous. The most asinine moment of that pilot wsa when the villain on the tower throws the bomb down towards the innocent public. And Green Lanter, who's beside that damned villain, doesn't even whip or snatch it away with his power ring. He jsut flies away and says, "I lost it!"

TPTB that did that should have been lynched.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2001 at 08:21 AM »

trekker - unfortunately, I just borrowed the Justice League VCD from an officemate. This isn't an official home video release yet since only 4 episodes have actually aired in the US. The copy I viewed was obviously taped from the Cartoon Network.

If you really want to see it, send me a PM. I'll talk to him on Monday.

It's Ok. Thanks for the offer. I think I'll wait for the VHS tapes when they finally come out. Though I know it will take long. To date, I've only seen one tape (4 episodes) of the X-Men: Evolution---and it rocks!

Offline dukeonline2002

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2001 at 10:37 AM »
aaah, I don't know much about the Justice League (the animation) but I do believe that it would be a really good show since the previous projects of WB (batman series, zeta project, superman series, etc...) have shown exemptional use of wit and creativity lacking in most American animation. (give me Batman anytime that spiderman unlimited!)

X-men evolution, after thirteen episodes, was a bit too much.  Storm and Wolverine were like "yayas" to professor X while jean gray is a mom sermoning the other guys.  Even shadowcat who's suppose to be a perfect A student sounds like a ditz/bimbo/elle woods'y!  The only thing worth mentioning in that series is Rogue.

Offline trekker

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 04:07 AM »

X-men evolution, after thirteen episodes, was a bit too much.  Storm and Wolverine were like "yayas" to professor X while jean gray is a mom sermoning the other guys.  Even shadowcat who's suppose to be a perfect A student sounds like a ditz/bimbo/elle woods'y!  The only thing worth mentioning in that series is Rogue.

You saw thirteen episodes? I only saw 4! Where can I get a copy?

Offline argent_tejsla

• Apprentice
  • ya mangy varmint!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 06:41 AM »
Hi Dave! Este, Firewired pala... did I just expose your secret identity?

A copy of Justice League found itself in my hands a few days ago and I got to watch the Pilot Episode and "Blackest Night"...on that last one, I was just waiting for John Stewart to say, "Bad-a$$, muthaf___ah!" But eventhough it wasn't true to the John Stewart of the GL Corps, it was highly enjoyable to see an animated version of Samuel Jackson. But the best pa rin sa akin were the JLA versus the Legion of Doom Hanna Barbera series (before those stupid wonder twins came on board) particularly those episodes where the Legion tried to mess up each hero's origin, and that time when they went up against The Minotaur. I for one, would love to see Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, Black Manta, Bizarro (wait, may incarnation yata niyan dito sa office namin) Giganta and Cheetah again. Sana mag- appearance sila on the WB Justice League. On that note they ought to make a JL live action movie - it would be a way for WB to resurrect the moribund Batman and Superman franchises and go head to head against the X-men. Can't hardly wait for that one!  
run along now and don't get yerself inta trouble.
http://one_argent.tripod.com

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2001 at 09:43 PM »

Hehehe... I've seen that TV movie on HBO too...  Nakakahiyang aminin, but I found that show to be a guilty pleasure!  ;D  Not really something I would watch during primetime, but during times when you can't really sleep, mga 1 or 2 am, complete with junk food and everything...  :)  actually it's also fun to watch that with your buds, discuss it's (de)merits, from the (non-special) special effects, the (piss-poor) acting, and the (really terrible) costumes...  it's like acting out your very own episode of mystery science theater 3000!  ;D
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2001 at 08:01 PM »

Hehehe... I've seen that TV movie on HBO too...  Nakakahiyang aminin, but I found that show to be a guilty pleasure!  ;D  Not really something I would watch during primetime, but during times when you can't really sleep, mga 1 or 2 am, complete with junk food and everything...  :)  actually it's also fun to watch that with your buds, discuss it's (de)merits, from the (non-special) special effects, the (piss-poor) acting, and the (really terrible) costumes...  it's like acting out your very own episode of mystery science theater 3000!  ;D

I totally agree with you. I don't know about you guys but sometimes when something is so bad, you can't help but give it credit for just trying.

Man, and I thought the wesley shipp's costume in the flash series was bad.

Offline dzone23

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2001 at 08:34 PM »
speaking of bad, i saw the late 70's early 80's spider-man movie? on SOLAR.

funny the way he climbed buildings, obvious na fake. ;)

Offline Bruce_Wayne

• DVD Addict
  • any problem???
  • Liked:
Re:Justice League
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2002 at 04:37 PM »
A Justice League DVD is set to be release on April 23.  I just thought you guys might be interested to know that.   Along with it, some Batman animated flicks will also be released simultaneously.    

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
Justice League on Studio 23
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 02:57 PM »
Justice League
Premieres this Oct

Based on the DC Comics characters.

In this action-packed adventure series, the world's greatest superheroes, including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter, join forces as the Justice League to battle powerful villains, supernatural creatures and evil entities determined to take over the world and destroy the League.

Kevin Conroy of BATMAN and BATMAN BEYOND voices the same character in Justice League.  Michael Rosenbaum [Lex Luthor in SMALLVILLE] voices for he Flash.

Cast & Credits Voice Talents:
Susan Eisenberg - Princess Diana of Themyscira/Wonder Woman
George Newbern - Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman
Michael Rosenbaum - Wally West/The Flash
Kevin Conroy - Bruce Wayne/Batman
Phil LaMarr - John Stewart/Green Lantern
Carl Lumbly - J'onn J'onzz/The Martian Manhunter
Maria Canals - Shayera Hol/Hawkgirl

Justice League is a nominee in the 2002 EMMYS for Outstanding Main Title Theme Music

Same animation from the makers of Batman the animated series.  Sorry, no Wonder Twins and the monkey ;D  Wala rin si Marites(Rex Navaretes creation) ;D ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
Re:Justice League on Studio 23
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2002 at 10:11 PM »
Oh this is a very cool show. It tells a lot how Super Friends really messed up the super heroes.

Glad that Aquaman is not part of the group anymore even though he shows up once in a while.

Two thumbs up !

8)
k

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 09:12 AM »
Actually, the pilot episode(Part 1 and 2) is about Aquaman.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2002 at 09:44 AM by Bacon »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 10:21 AM »

Saw them actually. So far, my fave episodes was when an Amazonian tried to kill all the men by spreading virus infecting Superman and Batman and everybody else except the women. Love it !

8)
k

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 10:37 AM »

Really?  I've seen the pilot (part I) and I don't remember any reference to Aquaman. ???  

Form what I remember, it showed how the group was formed with Batman being such a loner and Flash being so juvenile. ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 10:53 AM »

Really?  I've seen the pilot (part I) and I don't remember any reference to Aquaman. ???  

Form what I remember, it showed how the group was formed with Batman being such a loner and Flash being so juvenile. ;D

I hope I remember this right. I think Aquaman only made a cameo in the first two episodes. Then there was a two-parter where Aquaman had an evil brother who took over Atlantis when Superman asked him to go up and help them out with something. And of course, he ended up asking the Justice League's help as well to get back Atlantis.

8)
k
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2002 at 11:00 AM by kakabanas »

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 11:18 AM »

I hope I remember this right. I think Aquaman only made a cameo in the first two episodes. Then there was a two-parter where Aquaman had an evil brother who took over Atlantis when Superman asked him to go up and help them out with something. And of course, he ended up asking the Justice League's help as well to get back Atlantis.

8)
k

Yup yup, thats the 2 part pilot episode were Aquaman lost his hand(cant remember if its the left or right).  The episode started with a Nuclear submarine being attacked by soldiers from Atlantis.  

Offline euphyx

• Collector
  • fancy a pint of lager mate?
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 01:57 PM »
cool!!! :D when is this airing?

Offline Vash

• Collector
  • Love and Peace !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 02:33 PM »
wow!!!  aabangan ko rin yan...   8)

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2002 at 02:45 PM »
cool!!! :D when is this airing?

Around mid October :)  Others might think that its a 3D animated series because of its OBB(opening billboard), its not.  Same animtion of Batman animated series.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2002 at 02:56 PM by Bacon »

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2002 at 03:45 AM »
I love how everybody calls her Diana .... and in one episode, she planted a kiss on the cheek of Batman and he sort of blushed.

Aside from her, my other fave character is Flash. I love his sarcasm, wit, and confidence. No, no, no. It has nothing to do with the tight costume. They all wear spandex anyway LOL. ;D ;D ;D

8)
k

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2002 at 11:08 PM »
wait so what's the schedule?

Offline lil_jinx

• Apprentice
  • ribit
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 23, 2002 at 11:47 AM »
have you seen the trailer????

they're showing the trailers na!

coolness.

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 10:57 AM »

I'll correct myself, ßa®tmaniac is right.  The episode with Aquaman is episode 6&7 pala.  The pilot episode consist of 3 parts.  Yup, Flash is a Juvenile, Flash is the comedian in the group ;D.  I thing I noticed, the Justice League series episodes almost always conist of 2 parts.  Medyo nakakabitin if you will have to wait for another week to finish the episode :P.  The series will be shown on a Friday primetime sched.
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2002 at 12:54 PM by Bacon »

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 12:03 PM »
I'll correct myself, ßa®tmaniac is right.  The episode with Aquaman is episode 7 pala.  

Thanks for the clarification, Bacon.  For a while there, I thought what I've seen isn't the pilot afterall. ;D

Speaking of which, I just found out that the pilot is available on DVD.

Here's the storyline (warning: may contain possible spoilers) of what I've seen:

from www.DVDtoons.com

The story begins in Mars. Two American astronauts are doing some land research, when one of them (J. Allen Carter) falls down a whole and accidentally discovers some evil force buried beneath the earth. Two years later, back on Earth, Batman is investigating some security breaches in the global deep-space monitoring network when three strange scientists attack him. Superman shows up to help, but is suddenly hit with strange visions and blacks out, only to be saved by Batman as the facility blows up. We soon realize that these scientists that attacked Batman are not from this Earth as they easily attach their broken body parts and walk away from the incident.

After Superman recovers from his blackout, Batman shares his suspicions with him. Superman agrees to help, but has to leave to attend a speech at the United Nations. There, we run into J. Allen Carter again, who is now a Senator and working towards world peace by disarming nuclear weapons. He enlists Superman to help eliminate the Earth's weapons of mass destruction and serve as a protector.

Several months later, an asteroid, or what appears to be an asteroid lands in Metropolis. Filled with curiosity, people gather around, and soon realize that the asteroid contains large aliens that shoot powerful lasers, and that nothing can stop them, including Superman and Batman. Without Earth's nuclear weapons, the alien creatures take over the city and more of these asteroids begin to land across the globe. As these creatures continue to attack, Superman is hit again by a vision and leaves the battlefield. Batman follows, and both discover that the visions were coming from J'Onn J'Onz, the last surviving Martian, who has come to Earth to warn mankind of the alien invasion. Using his telepathic ability, J'Onn contacts Hawkgirl, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. They must now work together and try to find a way to stop these powerful aliens.

Offline Bacon

• Collector
  • Wassup! Wassup!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 25, 2002 at 01:11 PM »
No problem ßa®tmaniac :), I do apologize. When the tapes arrived kasi, the promo specialist in charge of JL told me if I want to watch the pilot episode.  He previewed the episode about Atlantis which I thought was the pilot episode.

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 02, 2002 at 05:24 PM »
here's another JL thread:  "Justice League" started by firewired[/b]