Author Topic: Babae Sa Breakwater  (Read 11415 times)

Offline Gideon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • Galactic Bowler
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Babae Sa Breakwater
« Reply #60 on: Jul 27, 2004 at 08:03 PM »
'Let's give the best actress to the worst film of the festival.' - one jury member said.

I won't tell you who said this but it's so dyahe to hear that comment from a kick-ass film director. But Tikoy, Oliver Pere (of Cannes' Director's Fornight)and Mohsen Makmalbaf fought for Katherine. That's why she won.

All members of the  Makmalbaf family were present in New Delhi last week.

Yung bold star na nanalo ng Best Actress, susunod sa yapak nila Aleck Bovick at Ann Capri.
Begin 2 Imagine
[img]http://http://i3

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Jul 27, 2004 at 10:29 PM »
'Let's give the best actress to the worst film of the festival.' - one jury member said.

I won't tell you who said this but it's so dyahe to hear that comment from a kick-ass film director. But Tikoy, Oliver Pere (of Cannes' Director's Fornight)and Mohsen Makmalbaf fought for Katherine. That's why she won.

All members of the  Makmalbaf family were present in New Delhi last week.

If you're referring to CineManila 2004 (obvious ba, you included Tikoy kasi), then that kiss-ass director must be Eddie Romero!!  ;D

Offline edsa77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 27, 2004 at 11:42 PM »
no!! it's the Osian Cinefan in India

Offline Astroantiquity

• Collector
  • "Get Off the Internet!"
  • Liked:
Re:Babae Sa Breakwater
« Reply #63 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 11:22 PM »
Fore me this is the best picture of the year. And it isn't even nominated in the Star Awards for Movie. They probably thought its another run of the mill bold flick.

The other remarkable Filipino films last year in my list include:

Magnifico
Bridal Shower
Crying Ladies
Ang Huling Birhen sa Lupa

By the way, has anybody seen this Robin Padilla film directed by Jon Red? I saw it in the papers being shown in the Pelikula at Lipunan held in Iloilo.

Bridal Shower was a funny and witty movie.  Crying Ladies was a good one also.  But, Magnifico?  Jeez, what on oevrblown piece of tripe.  And Ang.. What is it again?  I forget.  Anyway,  the only gripe I had with Magnifico is that it's too overmelodramatic (melodrama na nga, nasobrahan pa).  I don't think I can ever take it too seriously.
There's nothing gratuitous about my films. --Dario Argento

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #64 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 09:05 AM »
Oh, Magnifico's okay. What it does lack for me is the kind of imagination that can make a film fly, not just walk (something that Breakwater, with all its 'production flaws,' has).

Huling Birhen is an interesting variation on Himala; my problem is the cast (Ara Mina can't act to save her life) and direction are both hysterical.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 26, 2004 at 03:13 PM »
Mario O'Hara's Woman of the Breakwater goes to Vancouver:

http://journals.aol.com/noelbotevera/MyJournal/entries/553

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Babae Sa Breakwater in Senses of Cinema
« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2005 at 08:59 PM »
BABAE SA BREAKWATER IN SENSES OF CINEMA

The Special Section includes an article by our very own commentary.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2005 at 09:00 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 11, 2005 at 02:28 PM »
Is there a VCD or DVD of "Breakwater" yet?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Mario O'Hara made Likhaan Writing Fellow for Drama
« Reply #68 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 01:33 PM »
Belated news--broke early March, but got around to posting it only now:

MARIO O'HARA MADE UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES LIKHAAN WRITING FELLOW FOR DRAMA

EMBARGO DATE: 16 February 2005 REFERENCE:
Likhaan: 922-1830

UP ICW PANAYAM : LECTURE ON DRAMA

PANAYAM: The UP ICW Lecture Series on Literature of LIKHAAN: The UP Institute of Creative Writing (UP ICW) resumes with the fellowship lecture of Mario O’Hara – the 2003-04 ICW National Fellow for Drama – on 4 March, Friday, 1-4 p.m., at the CAL AVR, Bulwagang Rizal, UP Diliman, Quezon City.

Mr. O’Hara is a prizewinning actor, director, playwright & scriptwriter; the compleat package. His directorial jobs encompass a wide variety of genres, e.g. , Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos, Bakit Bughaw ang Kulay ng Langit, Condemned, Bulaklak ng City Jail, Babae sa Bubungang Lata, Sisa and Pangarap ng Puso.

He received, among others, the following awards: 1978 Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF), Best Screenplay, for Rubia Servios; 1984 MMFF, Best Director, for Bulaklak ng City Jail; 1986 MMFF, Best Director, Halimaw sa Banga; 1998 Urian Best Director, for Fatima Buen Story; 1998 Centennial Literary Awards, Grand Prize (zarzuela), for Palasyo ni Valentin, which was staged by the UP Playwrights’ Theater, under the direction of Tony Mabesa, during its 1999-2000 season. It was published by the UP Press in 2003.

UP ICW Adviser Professor Emeritus Bienvenido Lumbera will be the emcee-moderator, while UP Film Institute Director Dr. Roland Tolentino, the critic/reactor. On the other hand, UP ICW Director Vim Nadera, Jr. will deliver the welcome remarks, while Prof. Arthur Casanova of the Brent International School at Biñan,Laguna will introduce O’ Hara.

The public is invited.

Offline renato

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jun 05, 2005 at 06:04 PM »
The movie's finally out on VCD! (275 locally, $11.99 online). It's about time cuz' im probably the only Yoyoy fan who hasn't seen it. :)