Author Topic: Disney's World of Wonder calibration BD  (Read 4445 times)

Offline greatauror28

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • DTS Master Audio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Disney's World of Wonder calibration BD
« on: Jul 28, 2013 at 12:39 AM »
Hey guys, searched this forum for this topic but it seems like there's none?
Anyway, been wanting to calibrate my 50" plasma since I bought it but can't get a hold of this disk till last thursday night. It was finally available on BestBuy near my place so I bit the bullet. ($35 for combo bluray is kinda expensive for me)

Here is the calibration disk:

Inside the package were two BD, instruction booklet, blue filter and some leaflets.

There's a Beginner and an Advanced setup for non-technical users and more savvy ones. Personally,even though i'm not a videophile I find the beginner setup lacking. With this setup, you'd barely notice the changes you made in your video display (projectors, LCD, plasma,LED can be calibrated with this disk) so i suggest having patience and going through the advanced setup to have your money's worth.

If you will play all descriptions and instructions of the whole setup, it will take you approximately 2 hours to finish so I skipped the introduction (which is mainly for super beginners) by Goofy. In the Optimize menu, you can skip the intro and jump to instructions immediately then calibrate now.

I also did not went through the audio calibration as I'm pretty happy with the Audyssey setup I did previously with my Onkyo 515.

Now, after almost 2 hours (1:30AM in our clock) I'm happy to see that the results were really noticeable. Well, maybe not Night and Day because flat screens nowadays have very good default setup out of the box. Having said that, I did make sure to take pictures before the calibration (and took note of the exact time in the BD player) so to make a side-by-side compare after the deal was done.

Photos are taken by an iPhone 5 without any filters nor post processing. These may not be tack sharp nor  horizontally aligned but they're something hey!

So here they are:

Hansel and Gretel 1080p mkv file

Before

After

Not so much here as the first photo was primarily blurred.

Before

After

Notice the door frame on the left. The bricks has fuller colour and detail.

The Hobbit in Bluray

Before

After

Contrast and clarity improvement are very evident here.

Before

After

The mountain in the right side of Smaug's face has more detail and tone, and was not blown/clipped.

Oz the great and powerful 1080p MKV file

Before

After

Mind the color and the details of the tree trunk on the left of the frame. Also, monkey's color is very lifelike on the after photo.

Overall, i'm pretty much happy with the calibration done. Might not get superior results, might did a few things less or more but at the end of the day it's what your eye believe that is good and what's good in your preference will definitely rock your boat.

And your couches :)
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013 at 12:41 AM by greatauror28 »
50P400 BP120 PS3 RTiA7 A1

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2607
Re: Disney's World of Wonder calibration BD
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2013 at 09:42 AM »
$25.99 lang sa amazon yung two disc sir
demo disc lang naman yung second disc so you only need the first disc
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2013 at 09:56 AM »
do you need the instruction booklet to calibrate? or you can read the instructions direct on the screen. i have a BD ISO copy of WOW but have not used it to calibrate my PJ coz my NMT does not play BD navigation. the file can be played without navigation but it just shows a narration of what to see on an HD movie. tried to fast forward the movie but did not see a calibration video until the movie ends.

Offline greatauror28

• Collector
  • DTS Master Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2013 at 01:24 AM »
$25.99 lang sa amazon yung two disc sir
demo disc lang naman yung second disc so you only need the first disc

I know but everything else here is more expensive than US. I can have it shipped but if you factor in the S&H and the customs duties, it'll have roughly the same price.

Yeah, disc 2 is just a demo but you can't buy just the first disc. It is a combo package.

do you need the instruction booklet to calibrate? or you can read the instructions direct on the screen. i have a BD ISO copy of WOW but have not used it to calibrate my PJ coz my NMT does not play BD navigation. the file can be played without navigation but it just shows a narration of what to see on an HD movie. tried to fast forward the movie but did not see a calibration video until the movie ends.

I think it can be done but will be kinda tedious because you have to listen carefully to the instruction voice-over to know what precisely to do during the calibration method. It's like watching news rather than reading it in the newspaper. For me, i'd like something to look back to should I double check something. For booklet-free users, you have to play back the instruction video.

And oh, you cannot go past the beginner method if you only have the ISO copy because you will be needing the blue filter to adjust the chroma and hue settings - which will be in the advanced calibration category.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2013 at 01:44 AM »
@greatauror28

thanks for the info.

Offline mandyb

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2013 at 10:32 AM »
thanks for the review, pictures showed huge detail improvement. Was this a big step in contrast level in your settings? have been on the fence with this calibration disc for a while....

Offline jessec

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2013 at 06:48 PM »
I also have that BD but haven't found  time to use to calibrate my plasma, thanks for your review ( I will try to do it one of this days)

Offline greatauror28

• Collector
  • DTS Master Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 04:45 AM »
@greatauror28

thanks for the info.

Well, it's high time that I give back to PDVD for awesome ideas and knowledge i learned here :)

thanks for the review, pictures showed huge detail improvement. Was this a big step in contrast level in your settings? have been on the fence with this calibration disc for a while....

Actually, I found myself adding about a third of the amount of contrast that I already have to achieve the Digital Reference Standard instructed by the calibration disc. I even ventured on the expert settings adding or subtracting Blue Contrast, Red Brightness, the whole nine yards.

I'd suggest give it a try, you'll be glad to see the difference it made.

I also have that BD but haven't found  time to use to calibrate my plasma, thanks for your review ( I will try to do it one of this days)

Set aside 2-2.5 hours max for them as to achieve the desired results, one must really go through the advanced calibration process.

Using just the beginner method is kinda lame,IMO.