Author Topic: Class D Power Amplifier - diy builder find it here  (Read 12277 times)

Offline alientbelt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • NGC224
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Class D Power Amplifier - diy builder find it here
« on: Sep 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM »
Hello to all,   I would like to share this digital Class-D power amplifier which can be build on the power of your fingertips,  if you would like to build your good sounding amplifier in your work bench or probably want to learn a bit of how a digital class D power amplifier process our favorite music, then we should try this "toy"

here its outside picturial

its a kit, the SMD parts has been soldered on the PCB (process in SMT factory) all you have to do is to assembled those Insert parts to complete the "puzzle",  wires are included so you won't be wandering around to find them, 

all you have to do is to add the Power Supply  (220Vac/ 20-0-Vac, at leat 150VA) and the good quality 4 or 8 ohms speakers.
The trouble with life is - there is no background music

Offline alientbelt

• Apprentice
  • NGC224
  • Liked:
Re: Class D Power Amplifier - diy builder find it here
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM »
and here is its inside lab picture in one of its build for our demo to  University,  with its SMPS power supply

To know more of its specifications,  thanks to see it here    http://www.1diycentre.com/dr100w_pa.html

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM by alientbelt »

Offline alientbelt

• Apprentice
  • NGC224
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 01:02 PM »
What this Amplifier apart from other is that, it is ECO designed idea (it may not be full eco compliant),  it was intentionally designed to be controlled my MCU (add on hardware) to have a better power management.   With the use of a MCU,  it can be programmed to turn-off when it is no longer in use, so that,  it will not waste power.   

Many of us listen to music at night,  when we are laready in our dreams,  the MCU can put the amplifier into sleep mode - possibly to put also the CD player, equalizer, etc into deep sleep mode, sot that all non-usable devices will not waste power.

So, this amplifier comes with Standby Control -  and also Mute Control, a TTL signal (Transistor Transistor Logic) which most MCU can be interfaced.  If you do not like it and wanted to use the digital Class-D amplifier as stand alone,  simply by pass the Standby Control and it works good. 

On the idea of power management,  the design added to turn off the relay as well -- that relay that connect and dis-connect the amplifier from the speaker (in that circuit block that also protect the speaker from high offset voltage), because this relay also consumed power of 35~40mAmp  even in the standby mode,  by turning it off,  we can have a standby of about or less than 1W (typical 0.89W). 

So, what is this?   If we will not put the amplifier into the standby mode, when it is not actively in use,  its total power consumption is in the range of 8~10W (depending on the type of PSU), and that is the amount of power being wasted as compared to 0.89W.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2013 at 01:04 PM by alientbelt »

Offline alientbelt

• Apprentice
  • NGC224
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 01:21 PM »

On the above picture,  there are components which is not inserted on the left of the heatsink,  this component is reserved for the 5 point VU meter/per channel.

In diy Learning and software programming use (using an add-on module -- the digital controller module), this "VU meter hardware" is being used to detect clipping level, that harrashed sounds or distorted sound which parametrically denoted by 10% distortion or more,  so that a program logic can be implemented to automatically reduced its input level to maintained a clean and clear music,  well that is the idea in the design and in diy (do-it-yourself) learning.

In practice, that idea is not implemented since we are not always going to "tax" or utilized the amplifier into its maximum performance.  In most case, the 5 VU meter (10 in stereo)  is being used as display of moving bar graph LEDs which "dance" in the strength of the music.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2013 at 01:41 PM by alientbelt »

Offline darkangel69

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • | this guy is a music lover |
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 05:29 PM »
Does the kit includes all the components like pot? I am interested in building one. ;D
--*--AM JUST A MUSIC LOVER--*--

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 06:19 PM »
Does the kit includes all the components like pot? I am interested in building one. ;D

Sir everything on the pics included, you only need a transformer, case, rca and speaker terminals. I built one of this and its an easy one especially if the D-amp chip is already soldered.

Offline darkangel69

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 07:02 PM »
Sir everything on the pics included, you only need a transformer, case, rca and speaker terminals. I built one of this and its an easy one especially if the D-amp chip is already soldered.

Give me more info on this, I'm hoping you'll understand as I would really want to build one of these.

1. Is it a mono? Or a stereo?
2. How about the THD+N?
3. Is it possible to bridge two of these boards to gain more power (watts RMS)?

Had previously built a Class D amp in kit (LM1875) in which a Denon 25w bookshelf was used for testing. Had some problems with humming and never figured out how to get rid of it although as I've read from here (pinoydvd.com) the problems was brought about by wrong grounding scheme.

Hope you could give me some guides or precautions on how your amp would sound good.
Wanna try one, :-)

Offline louie1

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 07:48 PM »
pwede ba i-bridge ?? meron bang kit na 150W/channel @8 ohms (20hz-20khz)??

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 07:55 PM »
Please go to the site TS has posted above for more info. Also visit elabs

http://www.elab.ph/forum/index.php?topic=30065.1800;topicseen

Have not tried bridging yet kasi 1 kit lang meron ako and prefer it as it is.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 09:46 PM »
naligaw, TUBES section ito. palipat po mods.

2 agad nag-inquire if bridgable. based on my experience po its simpler and better to build or buy a bigger power amp than bridging 2 small ones. lalo na if you're not sure how low your speakers' impedance dips below the nominal value.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline jlester87

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM »
Yes pwede ito ibridge, based on its datasheet. Di ko lang alam kung kinonsider ng PCB designer na lagyan ng provision yung PCB for bridging.

@TS
Welcome to PDVD!
Nakasolder na ba yung TDA8950 IC sa PCB?
Saka tingin ko mas gaganda ang tunog nito kung Sagami 7g17a ang gagamitin na output inductor instead of material 2 na toroidal.

Had previously built a Class D amp in kit (LM1875) in which a Denon 25w bookshelf was used for testing.

Yung LM1875 po ay Class-AB monolithic amplifier na IC :)
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM by JLesterP »

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2013 at 01:58 PM »
bro where can i get a kit of this? i also wanna learn how class D operates and the only way to learn is to build one heheheheehhe,ive done chipamp(lm1875/3875) and some class A Headphone amp and opamp driven but not class D.ohh meron pala ako class D kit the one from LJM(L15d-Pro) but when i got it fully assembled na. if its available locally much better and does the surface mount component already soldered?

Offline alientbelt

• Apprentice
  • NGC224
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2013 at 05:10 PM »
1. this board comes in Stereo operation

2.  the THD at test condition of 1KHz, 1 watt power at 4 onms resistive losd is 0.09 to .0.1%,  at  40w, thd is about 0.8% and  goes up to 10% at rated  63W,  this is per channel reading, but both channel driven

3.  by solution of chipset it is permittable to bridge, by system design, we did not consider it for a reason our fellos already explained above.

If we wanted to have a wideband amplifier, probably we need a highly tuned class AB, tuned in slew rate

If we like to have a high power amplifier, we may opt to try a class D monoblock capable of delivering 1200W Average Power, which was dedigned by our fellow filipino and ka-member

4.  all the SMT parts were soldered on the board, what is left for the diyers is
to assembled the radial parts correctly

5.  it comes also with speaker protector independent sensing for the left and right channels for dangerous offset voltage

It is available locally in Baguio City
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2013 at 05:26 PM by alientbelt »

Offline alientbelt

• Apprentice
  • NGC224
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2013 at 05:23 PM »
Yes pwede ito ibridge, based on its datasheet. Di ko lang alam kung kinonsider ng PCB designer na lagyan ng provision yung PCB for bridging.

@TS
Welcome to PDVD!
Nakasolder na ba yung TDA8950 IC sa PCB?
Saka tingin ko mas gaganda ang tunog nito kung Sagami 7g17a ang gagamitin na output inductor instead of material 2 na toroidal.

Yung LM1875 po ay Class-AB monolithic amplifier na IC :)

Thank you, I finally able to registered after those hardship I encountered abroad registering

Ok, thanks for the recommendation,  we will try this LC filters see if they can funtionally or parametrically better

Offline rochie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2013 at 05:45 PM »
1. this board comes in Stereo operation

2.  the THD at test condition of 1KHz, 1 watt power at 4 onms resistive losd is 0.09 to .0.1%,  at  40w, thd is about 0.8% and  goes up to 10% at rated  63W,  this is per channel reading, but both channel driven

3.  by solution of chipset it is permittable to bridge, by system design, we did not consider it for a reason our fellos already explained above.

If we wanted to have a wideband amplifier, probably we need a highly tuned class AB, tuned in slew rate

If we like to have a high power amplifier, we may opt to try a class D monoblock capable of delivering 1200W Average Power, which was dedigned by our fellow filipino and ka-member

4.  all the SMT parts were soldered on the board, what is left for the diyers is
to assembled the radial parts correctly

5.  it comes also with speaker protector independent sensing for the left and right channels for dangerous offset voltage

It is available locally in Baguio City

bro can you pm me how can I acquire a unit? payment methond and the likes.glad it is available at the local market,i usually source my kit overseas(ebay and other site) but shipping charges and the time it arrive here is PITA haahhha, at least kung locally mas madali ang technical support especially for a newbie like me.

Offline darkangel69

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 07:40 AM »
Likewise bro kindly PM me details on how to acquire this kit.

@JlesterP Akala ko class D ang LM1875/TDA2050  ;)

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 09:27 AM »
di nyo nakita link? reply#1

Offline TinkerTailor

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 09:55 AM »
San sir shop nyo sa Baguio?

Offline rochie

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM »
di nyo nakita link? reply#1

walang nakalagay kung paano namin babayaran eh.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM »
uy, welcome sa forums....kung nounted na yung mga smd's mas madali na ang completion ng kit...meron kay price at how to order?
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM »
walang nakalagay kung paano namin babayaran eh.
better contact them directly. got this from the link:

Price

Level

Target

Offer

Availability

Origin

Inquiry

:  1,450 php  +  120 Air21 Freight Fee (Phils).

:   Education / Audio DIYers

:  Audio Hobbyist

:  Kit Version (Read me)

:  Yes

:  Baguio City, Philippines

:   RiICHA Studio

[[email protected]]:

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM »
^oops that was for the 100wpc version. 1,100 yung 50wpc

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM »
OT. @markrenz, nasa elab ka rin?
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM by ATJr. »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM »
^ opo. pero pasilip-silip lang.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM »
sali ka sa discussions para mas masaya....:D

Offline squatt3r

• DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: Sep 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM »
meron ba kayong full kit with casing?

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • - diy electronics stuff -
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM »
meron ba kayong full kit with casing?

hello,  here is one assembled Class D Power Amplifier, a diy build using see thru fiber glass case, it used a SMPS for the power supply

Speaking of "Full Kit", @ TS,  I think I can introduced more info about this project.

This class D amplifier is just one of the module,  it is called DR100W_PA module - the digital Amplifier Part.   But there are other module which is designed to be its partner,  the analog & digital module which process analog signal ang controlled digitally, the DR100W_EQ module,  with Audio processing power of :

Listening Environment :  Rock, Pop, Classic, Jazz and bypass (Normal response / Flat)
Effects  :  Turbo Bass (super bass) and 3D sound
Tone Control  :  Bass and Treble

The DR100W_EQ module is a way to cater different listening pleasure, adjusting the quality of the music.

The other module is called DR100W_CM module,  the controller Module running by a Micro Processor driven by a software, it handle all the traffic and the Man Machine Interface (MMI).  In short, the DR100W_CM  comes with switches, RF module interface, Bluetooth or Wifi Interface module and   LCD, this is the module that communicate to the User.

As explained above, it is the DR100W_CM that control this Class-D amplifier to goes into standby mode or deep sleep mode to conserved energy while it is not in use (its all manning by a program).

Speaking of Full Kit then, the way I looked at it ---  the whole project, it is called DR100W conCEPT,  check this intro pdf  http://www.1diycentre.com/1DIY_Issue15_DR100W_concept.pdf

simply dandy
  wechat : diycenter

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM »
oh, i missed that, it has been posted above, here once again.

Yes, there is this fiber glass case is available, left behind from a group buy order, but it is located in the mini lab in shenzhen, China.  In fact, the design did not much care of the casing, since from the DIYers point of view, they like to build their own enclosure adding their own stuff, and it is widely big variance.  Yet, of course, of friends can cater such enclosure design, since they have factory and CNC machines, but of course with the Chinese motto (???)".

and here is its inside lab picture in one of its build for our demo to  University,  with its SMPS power supply

To know more of its specifications,  thanks to see it here    http://www.1diycentre.com/dr100w_pa.html
simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2015 at 07:25 AM »
oh no!   all pics were gone, since I lost control of the former site,  sorry for this.

this project Class D + preset Equalizer + Controller with SMPS supply still keep kicking for some of the customization  DIY stuff.

Let me share how I  Do-It-Yourself

The Class D Amplifier (with heatsink)   behind it is the SMPS.

Start here:
1.  manual rendering on the pizza box --  SMPS, controller, equalizer, Class D

2.  Start to outline the real parts -- AC power and EMI Filter

3.  Cutting to the actual casing size

4..  Here you go -- LCD and Power Socket

5.. That's it --- the mock up

6.  The black fiber Glass

7..  Start Drilling

8.. Back to the work bench

the MMI :

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2015 at 07:29 AM by F. Dandy »
simply dandy

Offline F. Dandy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2016 at 01:07 PM »
Happy New Year - all the best for the year 2016

More development of Class-D amplifier this year 2016, more fun and more diy AMP,  show up the true power of our finger tips in building DIY AMP,  build our own personal AMP
simply dandy