Author Topic: recommendation for cd player service/maintenance  (Read 1242 times)

Offline newbieforever

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
recommendation for cd player service/maintenance
« on: Oct 02, 2013 at 09:45 AM »
hi all! newbie here in need of some help.

recently purchased a cd/md deck (MARANTZ CM6000) from a fellow pdvd'er which i wanted to use as a cd transport (via optical out) as well as a DAC (monitor mode on MD deck). i absolutely love the unit particularly for the sound as well as its various possible uses (CD transport, CD player, ADC, DAC, MD Player/Recorder). unfortunately, here are a few issues i have encountered:

1.  CD not consistently reading.  reads MOST of the time but sometimes it gets stuck on "TOC READING". curiously, turning the unit off and on again (without removing the disc) usually solves it. research suggests cleaning and lubing the laser and mech could help.

2.  MD not reading at all. MD would go into player, display "TOC READING", and would eventually eject the MD. again, research suggests cleaning and lubing laser and mech. apparently need to make this work in order to put the player in MONITOR mode to use as a DAC (based on google translated japanese user manual).

is there a service center (preferably in the Alabang/Las Pinas/Paranaque area) that specializes in this sort of thing (ie. cleaning, lubing, and general restoration of older model cdps)? i can supply an english service manual (purchased online) which has a complete diagram.

thanks in advance for your time!

p.s. not exactly sure if this is the right thread to post this. :-)   

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 854
Re: recommendation for cd player service/maintenance
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 12:50 PM »
Have the lens cleaned and see if it does the job. If not then it might need a new lens assembly. Try Love electronics in Sucat across Jaka building.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline newbieforever

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 03:04 PM »
thanks for the reply sir! ok, i'll try to clean the lens on my own first. hope i don't screw it up! hehe.. would it be a good idea to lube the rails as well? what kind of lube works best?

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 854
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 04:54 PM »
thanks for the reply sir! ok, i'll try to clean the lens on my own first. hope i don't screw it up! hehe.. would it be a good idea to lube the rails as well? what kind of lube works best?

Last time I lubed a CD player I used of all things...Tamiya lightweight grease. Did the trick perfectly. 5 years and the tray assembly is still as smooth as silk when it opens and closes.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline newbieforever

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 08:53 AM »
Last time I lubed a CD player I used of all things...Tamiya lightweight grease. Did the trick perfectly. 5 years and the tray assembly is still as smooth as silk when it opens and closes.

haha! actually considering using that too!thanks for the affirmation :-)

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2014 at 08:33 PM »
hi synchro, saan nakakabili ng tamiya lightweight grease....TIA
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X