Author Topic: MarkAudio Extended Full Range drivers - Post your build here  (Read 284998 times)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: MarkAudio Extended Full Range drivers - Post your build here
« Reply #1110 on: May 28, 2015 at 07:37 AM »
RXV, kamusta ang headroom with the APPJ? Maybe it's time for my 2nd project  ;)

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1111 on: May 28, 2015 at 12:55 PM »
Ayos! An issue I found with the Alpairs (if you will call it an "issue" at all  ;D); it is not forgiving to badly recorded materials.

Btw, were you referring to the Alpairs when you raised this question about soundstage?
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,199801.0.html

:)

When rxv brought his speakers im my home, we played bromo, daft punk and focal test disc.  Im also curious to see how it performs on extreme frequencies.  My findings-  it is abundant!  Hehehe

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #1112 on: May 28, 2015 at 01:01 PM »
Tapat lang naman ang mga Alpairs..... garbage in, garbage out

Ayos! An issue I found with the Alpairs (if you will call it an "issue" at all  ;D); it is not forgiving to badly recorded materials.

Btw, were you referring to the Alpairs when you raised this question about soundstage?

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1113 on: May 28, 2015 at 01:14 PM »

Nope.  If the alpair sounded bad on crappy recordings, that's actually a good trait.  it shows the speaker is revealing!
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1114 on: May 29, 2015 at 02:56 PM »
Sounds like you really liked the Alpair's sound. Are we going to see here your build soon?  ;)

Nope.  If the alpair sounded bad on crappy recordings, that's actually a good trait.  it shows the speaker is revealing!

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1115 on: May 29, 2015 at 02:57 PM »
Honest to goodness  ;D

Tapat lang naman ang mga Alpairs..... garbage in, garbage out

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1116 on: May 29, 2015 at 02:59 PM »
thanks,FWIW, i discussed the mark audio with moderators at diyaudio,
and almost all of then prefer the alpairs over the audio nirvanas.....
they just smiled at me when i told them that over here, the audio nirvanas were  hot...
many of them have used the audio nirvanas and said it was a decent speaker,
though they liked mark audio speakers better....

For me sir Tony, it still really depends on your listening preference. Being unbiased, I've heard Audio Nirvanas and I also like them e, but again I also like my MA's, I think it depends on the genre and style of listening. If I had a choice I would have them both haha
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline cyberdraven

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1117 on: May 29, 2015 at 03:02 PM »
Sounds like you really liked the Alpair's sound. Are we going to see here your build soon?  ;)

naku pare.  wala akong tyaga dyan.  masaya nakong nakakakinig ng magagandang system.  balang araw, pag 20 nako at kumpleto na buhok, magkaka audio system din ako.  hahaha!

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1118 on: May 29, 2015 at 03:02 PM »
RXV, kamusta ang headroom with the APPJ? Maybe it's time for my 2nd project  ;)

If you want headroom, of course I still suggest getting bigger tube amps if you're into dynamics.

But for me kasi, the APPJ is sufficient na in my 4x3 sq.m. room e, and that fact that it just consumes 38 watts and sounds so good (and a tube roller's delight having only 1 signal tube), nakatago na lang din 12 watter tube amp ko :p

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1119 on: May 29, 2015 at 03:06 PM »

For me, this is true, based on my experience.

But the thing I like about the Alpair 10P is that since it has a smoother signature, it is a "little more" forgiving to badly recorded music.

Yung Alpair 7.3, naku, yun talaga nagrereveal ng bad system recordings. Sobrang analytic e.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 at 03:10 PM by RXV »

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1120 on: May 29, 2015 at 03:16 PM »
thanks,FWIW, i discussed the mark audio with moderators at diyaudio,
and almost all of then prefer the alpairs over the audio nirvanas.....
they just smiled at me when i told them that over here, the audio nirvanas were  hot...
many of them have used the audio nirvanas and said it was a decent speaker,
though they liked mark audio speakers better....

Sa diyaudio hindi talaga well regarded ang ANs, from what I've read most of them say that the box plans provided by the manufacturer isn't optimized for the drivers. And the others who simulated & designed boxes on their own ended up with underwhelming speakers, the reason: discrepancies in the T/S parameters. To design an enclosure you need the correct T/S parameters of the drivers, and they say that some of the numbers provided by the manufacturer are wrong.

I'm not dissing ANs, in fact I would like to try one since walang malaking drivers ang MAs. But i'm also skeptical because if a simple and honest T/S parameters can't be provided by the manufacturer, then you have to question the integrity of the designer.

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1121 on: May 29, 2015 at 03:24 PM »
The weird thing that I experienced with my Alpair 7.3 is that I realized that it is a very neutral speaker.

Since it has a metal cone composite material, it doesn't literally need tweeters anymore, the highs are all there, yes for me up to 20khz range (when I connected it to my APPJ mini tube amp before). So some would think that it is a slightly bright sounding speaker. For me, it is not, but rather because it is a very detailed driver.

When I installed it in the dashboard of my car, it sounded like a British speaker: rich, warm, and very inviting, but with naturally recessed highs, I wondered why. I realized now that it was just revealing the sonic signature of my Alpine amp, which is known to produce warm sounding signature. Yun lang nga medyo nagroll-off ang highs, which is lacking for my personal taste. For a metal-cone driver, it is sure warm sounding when connected to a certain "warm" amp.

Now either to experiment with a different car amp, or use the Alpair7 for home use and make another DIY box hahaha. Huwag na muna :p
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 at 03:26 PM by RXV »

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1122 on: May 29, 2015 at 03:32 PM »

Sa diyaudio hindi talaga well regarded ang ANs, from what I've read most of them say that the box plans provided by the manufacturer isn't optimized for the drivers. And the others who simulated & designed boxes on their own ended up with underwhelming speakers, the reason: discrepancies in the T/S parameters. To design an enclosure you need the correct T/S parameters of the drivers, and they say that some of the numbers provided by the manufacturer are wrong.

I'm not dissing ANs, in fact I would like to try one since walang malaking drivers ang MAs. But i'm also skeptical because if a simple and honest T/S parameters can't be provided by the manufacturer, then you have to question the integrity of the designer.

+1 on the driver size. This is one reason why I like to try AN's, they normally have bigger displacement models which means more bass output for certain genres.

Although, I have to admit, when I heard a REL subwoofer perform before, grabe iba talaga ang quality and depth of lows, and it just "vanishes". A dedicated music sub still can't be beat.

Makes me wonder now if I can make a DIY version of a high quality musical sub haha.

Offline cyberdraven

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1123 on: May 29, 2015 at 03:48 PM »
The weird thing that I experienced with my Alpair 7.3 is that I realized that it is a very neutral speaker.

Since it has a metal cone composite material, it doesn't literally need tweeters anymore, the highs are all there, yes for me up to 20khz range (when I connected it to my APPJ mini tube amp before). So some would think that it is a slightly bright sounding speaker. For me, it is not, but rather because it is a very detailed driver.

When I installed it in the dashboard of my car, it sounded like a British speaker: rich, warm, and very inviting, but with naturally recessed highs, I wondered why. I realized now that it was just revealing the sonic signature of my Alpine amp, which is known to produce warm sounding signature. Yun lang nga medyo nagroll-off ang highs, which is lacking for my personal taste. For a metal-cone driver, it is sure warm sounding when connected to a certain "warm" amp.

Now either to experiment with a different car amp, or use the Alpair7 for home use and make another DIY box hahaha. Huwag na muna :p

naku pare, ibang animales ang oto.  hahaha.  cabin gain and reflections comes into play na.  its easy to make it sound full of bass and its very difficult to have a coherent midrange and well-imaging highs.

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1124 on: May 29, 2015 at 04:01 PM »
Car audio was a big mess in my audio past. Spent the most money on a final system that is nowhere near as good as my dedicated room system. That's not bragging. My dedicated room is terribly flawed acoustically. My car is now empty. Has speakers lang he he. Amp, HU, and sub cabinets.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 at 07:41 PM by Gino »

Offline cyberdraven

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1125 on: May 29, 2015 at 04:04 PM »
Car audio was a big mess in my audio past. Spent the most money on a final system that is nowhere near as good as my dedicated room system. That's not bragging. My dedicated room is terribly flawed acoustically. My car is now empty. As speakers lang he he. Amp, HU, and sub cabinets.

I hear you brother.  Amen!  hahaha!

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1126 on: May 29, 2015 at 05:32 PM »
To diy a musical sub, you may want to consider getting a Rythmik sub Kit and build your own box.

This has been done by our fellow member which he published in the following forum:

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25235

+1 on the driver size. This is one reason why I like to try AN's, they normally have bigger displacement models which means more bass output for certain genres.

Although, I have to admit, when I heard a REL subwoofer perform before, grabe iba talaga ang quality and depth of lows, and it just "vanishes". A dedicated music sub still can't be beat.

Makes me wonder now if I can make a DIY version of a high quality musical sub haha.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #1127 on: May 29, 2015 at 05:40 PM »
Agree on the Rythmik. Thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1128 on: May 29, 2015 at 06:00 PM »
To diy a musical sub, you may want to consider getting a Rythmik sub Kit and build your own box.

This has been done by our fellow member which he published in the following forum:

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25235

Sorry for the OT, but what other subwoofer drivers strictly for audio use would you recommend for a musical sub? An affordable one kahit na car audio sub. 10" or 12" siguro, basta mabilis humabol sa fast punch ng MA's

Para bumagay sa roll-off lows ng MA's (para hindi na OT haha)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 at 06:01 PM by RXV »

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1129 on: May 29, 2015 at 06:11 PM »
RXV - go with the subs bro. Dual is much preferred. No need to use bigger FR drivers to handle the mids & highs, in fact in my research the recommended FR size for F.A.S.T. is 3" to 4" para wide ang dispersion. Small drivers will always handle the highs better, that's physics. Relieving the Alpairs off of its low level duties will give you better transient response for mids & highs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 at 06:12 PM by deist »

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1130 on: May 29, 2015 at 07:01 PM »
RXV - go with the subs bro. Dual is much preferred. No need to use bigger FR drivers to handle the mids & highs, in fact in my research the recommended FR size for F.A.S.T. is 3" to 4" para wide ang dispersion. Small drivers will always handle the highs better, that's physics. Relieving the Alpairs off of its low level duties will give you better transient response for mids & highs.

Yun na nga naisip ko e. That's why Mark Felon created the Alpair 7P (paper) along with a special separate midbass driver (paper) for a F.A.S.T. system. I haven't seen any reviews of it though.

Anyway, ganun din naman sa car audio ko, Alpair 7.3 is high-passed starting at 160hz, and the rest goes to the dedicated midbass and subwoofer na (lows).

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #1131 on: May 29, 2015 at 07:16 PM »

sinabi mo pa.....david dicks was banned there...pero i had no hand in that, hindi pa ako moderator ng mga panahong yon.....;)
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline RXV

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1132 on: May 29, 2015 at 09:55 PM »
My initial impressions on using the egg-crate acoustic foam absorber for both my
Markaudio Alpair 10P and Alpair 7.3 enclosures:

VERDICT: Try it! You might regret not to, it's just a couple of hundred bucks anyway. The permanent sonic improvements for me are well worth it.

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,200549.msg2273286.html#msg2273288
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 at 09:58 PM by RXV »

Offline cyberdraven

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1133 on: May 29, 2015 at 09:59 PM »
You could opt to use car audio subs but get the dual vc 4ohms para you could wire it at 8ohms.  I once tried the seas leroy and i find it very musical.  Also those JL and image dynamics subs.  Me nakita ako dati that uses the seas leroy with bash plate amp for home.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015 at 10:29 AM by cyberdraven »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1134 on: May 30, 2015 at 10:23 AM »
para saan ba yan T/S parameters na yan?  O0 ^-^ >:D

swerte na ngayon may mga plans na at most importantly may internet/Google na... back in the late 80's lapis at papel gamit ko for computing Thiele/Small parameters. nun nagkaroon ako ng first pc ko Basic/Qbasic program para mas madali ang computation. ngayon nagkalat na ang simulators na pwede gamitin...

back then, we really relied on the specs given by the driver manufacturer, it's the only thing we have to go on unless gusto maging suntok sa buwan ang box design.

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1135 on: May 30, 2015 at 12:46 PM »
^ Hindi ko nga rin maintindihan brader Jo, at this day & age sa dami ng tools available, T/S parameters di pa maibigay ng tama?  ;D You're a manufacturer for heaven's sake, ano man lang gastusan mo yung tool to measure it. Ang tingin ko it's for marketing, para maging "attractive" ang specs they did some padding.

If it's the frequency response graph maintindihan ko pa kung may discrepancies since ang daming variables dyan. The anechoic chamber alone iba't ibang level ang quality & the measurement tools like the calibrated microphone, price ranges from tens of $ to hundred thousand  :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015 at 12:47 PM by deist »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1136 on: May 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM »
^ Hindi ko nga rin maintindihan brader Jo, at this day & age sa dami ng tools available, T/S parameters di pa maibigay ng tama?  ;D You're a manufacturer for heaven's sake, ano man lang gastusan mo yung tool to measure it. Ang tingin ko it's for marketing, para maging "attractive" ang specs they did some padding.

If it's the frequency response graph maintindihan ko pa kung may discrepancies since ang daming variables dyan. The anechoic chamber alone iba't ibang level ang quality & the measurement tools like the calibrated microphone, price ranges from tens of $ to hundred thousand  :)

Brader, I believe today's manufacturers need not invest in test equipments anymore because there are institutions who offer these tests. And because it's a separate entity who does the actual testing, the results are more viable to the consumer.

Siyempre pag in-house mas forgiving yan, but with today's DIYers naman, mabubuking ka din pag nag padding ka.

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1137 on: May 30, 2015 at 11:31 PM »
The next driver in mind is JL Audio but its expensive and you still have to design or build the crossover network plus the amplifier.  With the Rythmik sub, when you buy the kit, it includes the driver, crossover and amplifier, designed to perform together.

Sorry for the OT, but what other subwoofer drivers strictly for audio use would you recommend for a musical sub? An affordable one kahit na car audio sub. 10" or 12" siguro, basta mabilis humabol sa fast punch ng MA's

Para bumagay sa roll-off lows ng MA's (para hindi na OT haha)

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1138 on: Sep 01, 2015 at 10:54 AM »
A new MarkAudio venture:

System tuning by Dr. Scott Lindgren, same designer of Pensil enclosures for MarkAudio drivers  ;)

Here's the link to the website:
http://www.markaudio-sota.com/
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015 at 11:26 AM by deist »

Offline JoeyGS

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1139 on: Sep 01, 2015 at 11:08 AM »
WOW :o