Author Topic: Mede8er and other NMT  (Read 18442 times)

Offline akoposilester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mede8er and other NMT
« on: Jan 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM »
Currently, I have kaiboer h1055. Almost 2 years and im very happy with it.

Im on a hunt for my 2nd NMT. Im looking at mede8er 500x2, 600x or maybe 800x for my next upgrade.
Ive been reading some topics here regarding NMT but I still have a few questions (and suggestions) bout NMT.

1) Ang movie jukebox ba in order to get movie info/fan art/poster dapat i-connect ko sa internet yung mede8er--the mede8er will get them automatically?
2) If #1 is yes, kapag nakuha na yung infos pwede na kahit offline? I mean I should still be able to view movie info/poster even the mede8er is offline?
3) Will there be a problem if I have more than 2 HD, meaning kapag nakakuha na ako ng info/poster on may hardrives the info/poster will be saved sa HD. My fear is baka everytime magconnect ng HDs I have to DL info/poster of the movies.
4) Since mede8er has an option to be a wifi device, pwede ba kahit anong wife dongle? O dapat mede8er brand lang? Same with wireless keyboard pwede ba yung nabibili sa mga PC shop?

Lastly if you have suggestions on other brand/model na pwede pagpilian. I just want an NMT that has a good and eye candy GUI since kaiboer is too basic.

Sorry guys kung medyo mahaba.
Thanks a lot for comments, suggestions and answers. ^-^

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: Mede8er and other NMT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM »
For Media Players, you have to run Thumbgen in order to make moviesheets.  Then install each moviesheet to each folder where your movie file is. For Mede8er label them as about.jpg.

HTPC w/ XBMC will download your poster, fanart and synopsis for you.

Offline akoposilester

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 05:53 PM »
For Media Players, you have to run Thumbgen in order to make moviesheets.  Then install each moviesheet to each folder where your movie file is. For Mede8er label them as about.jpg.

HTPC w/ XBMC will download your poster, fanart and synopsis for you.

OIC. i though mede8er will DL the fanart infosheet.
Manual din pala ang pagupdate sa mga NMT.

Offline klipsch

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2014 at 08:14 AM »
I'm using a Mede8er 800x3d and 600x3d.

1. Internet connection is needed to use the built in scrape function. Scrape the folder and it will automatically search and save the movie covers/art, description, ratings etc. If you will transfer new movies, you just need to press a button to scrape and retrieve the data.
2. Yes, you can disconnect after scraping.
3. Nope, after scraping the file database will be built and saved by the system so even if you transfer (cut/copy) the whole drive when you open the folder in Mede8er you will still see the scraped files. Tried doing this when I migrated all my files to a larger disk.
4. Wifi dongle is specific to Realtek chipset 8191su. Any brand will do as long it has that chipset. Bought my wifi dongle in Amazon for $6, generic brand.

You won't go wrong with Mede8er, the movie jukebox is pretty sweet looking and hassle free to use. Go for the 800x3d if you will use an internal hard disk if not the 600x3d is good enough. That's the only difference AFAIK.

Sample from Mede8er built in Jukebox:

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2014 at 05:11 PM by klipsch »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015 at 08:45 PM »
I'm seriously considering the Mede8er MED600x3D.

I'm coming from a WDTV Gen 3, where you can place all movies and related files in one folder and the player can access everything without problems. 

I am aware that Mede8er requires that each movie be placed in its own folder to enable its jukebox feature.  If I'm only going to be using the list view function, will I need to place each movie in its own folder?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015 at 08:46 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015 at 10:17 PM »
I'm seriously considering the Mede8er MED600x3D.

I'm coming from a WDTV Gen 3, where you can place all movies and related files in one folder and the player can access everything without problems. 

I am aware that Mede8er requires that each movie be placed in its own folder to enable its jukebox feature.  If I'm only going to be using the list view function, will I need to place each movie in its own folder?

Ako naman i'm considering an android player. May MiniX neo 7 mukhang ok ang features for $120.

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015 at 11:13 PM »
Owner of a Mede8er MED600x3D here. No regrets ever since I got this unit. Awesome viewing experience :)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015 at 11:19 PM »
I don't think so, but that's based on 1st gen Mede8er experience.  I don't think it should make any difference with newer Mede8ers.  Personally, I have always preferred simple file/list view kaya jukebox is such an inconvenience for me due to folder requirements.  Maski sa mga PCH, kailangan ng folder if you want to jukebox.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015 at 10:47 AM »
Salamat, sir!  I'll try the MED600.

I also prefer the simplest approach.  Ang motto ko, the more complicated it becomes, the greater the likelihood of something going wrong. 

Mas preferred ko sana ang WDTV, kabisado ko na kasi.  Pero sobrang tagal na, wala pa rin silang new model.

I researched the Intel NUC, pero hindi media player ang approach, maraming magiging problema sa media player use. 

Then I looked at the Minix.  Attractive, kasi very high tech specs, Android pa.  Pero sasakit daw ang ulo mo sa bugs nito. 

Mede8er seems to be one of the most stable players I've read up on.  It's a South African company that emphasizes on European distribution, which is why it's not popular in the US. Not very popular in the Phils, kasi pag konti lang ang US reviews and US forum discussions, medyo duda tayo.

Sabi sa UK forums, ang mga Mede8er daw ay may "it just works" na characteristic.

Iniiwasan ko sana ang Realtek chips because they cannot render 23.976p correctly.  Ok sa true 24p, but has the 41-second skip on 23.976p.  (On Sigma chips, it's vice versa --- ok sa 23.976, but with the 41-sec. skip on true 24)

Matinik ang mga gumagawa ng firmware ng Mede8er.  Their engineers thought at first that it was not going to be possible on Realtek, but they did it.  The x3D series now plays both 23.976 and 24p correctly.  I think they had to redo the entire SDK (Software Development Kit).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015 at 09:39 AM by barrister »

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015 at 11:45 AM »
And they do have constant updates on all their mede8er models unlike china branded nmt na walang support.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015 at 01:01 PM »
That's true.  I browsed the Mede8er forums, the developer gives in-depth responses to users' questions.  Firmwares are not officially released until fully beta tested.

Owner of a Mede8er MED600x3D here. No regrets ever since I got this unit. Awesome viewing experience :)

I'm used to Sigma chips.  They say Realtek has worse picture quality than Sigma, but that opinion seems to be a carryover from several years ago, and might be outdated. 

How is the picture quality on the MED600's Realtek 1186 chip?

Ako naman i'm considering an android player. May MiniX neo 7 mukhang ok ang features for $120.

Minix NEO x8-H Plus dapat, para latest.

High-end specs, Android box, pero hanggang doon lang.  Interesado din ako diyan dati, kasi Android box na ang uso ngayon.

Minix is a Hong Kong company, meron namang firmware updates, pero hindi masyadong responsive sa customer complaints and suggestions.

Marami daw bugs, sakit sa ulo gamitin.  Ubos daw ang oras mo kakahanap ng mga remedyo.  Pag nagkaroon ka ng crashing & freezing problems, baka magsisi ka.  Android nga, pumapalya naman sa movies...  :(

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/minix-neo-x8-screen-crashes-periodically-sound-still-works.644/

IR remote response is hit or miss, and unresponsive from more than 2 meters away.  May air mouse, pero may performance issues din.

Android media player use is not yet ready for prime time.  Android apps were designed for phones and tablets.  Maraming issues for TV use.  Dapat may modification for TV-specific use, pero malabo yatang dumami ang apps na ganon.

Quad core nga ang Minix, pero bale wala daw yan sa video use kung mahina rin ang GPU (Graphics Processing Unit).  Sabi nila, the quad core Minix uses the same GPU used for the dual core Minix, so pareho lang.  Baka may advantage lang sa apps ang quad core, but not for video quality.

No DTS HD MA passthrough, no Dolby TrueHD passthrough.  Paanong nangyari yung highest-end specs, tapos HD audio passthrough lang wala?  Kasi pang mobile lang ang chipset, at walang silbi ang HD multichannel audio sa phone at tablet?  ;)

===================================

Naging interesado rin ako sa Open Hour (by Popcorn Hour), Android 3D quad core.  Poging pogi kasi ang porma. 

High-end specs din na walang DTS HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD passthrough.  No frame packed 3D, no frame rate matching.  Yan yata ang trend ng mga Android box --- no emphasis on home theater use. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015 at 01:35 PM by barrister »

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015 at 01:36 PM »
Quad core nga ang Minix, pero bale wala daw yan sa video use kung mahina rin ang GPU (Graphics Processing Unit).  Sabi nila, the quad core Minix uses the same GPU used for the dual core Minix, so pareho lang.  Baka may advantage lang sa apps ang quad core, but not for video quality.

anong ok na GPU on a quad core ang ideal kaya?
toy

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015 at 01:53 PM »

Sorry sir, wala naman talaga akong alam diyan, nabasa ko lang yung comment sa avsforum...

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015 at 08:12 PM »
Salamat, sir!  I'll try the MED600.

I also prefer the simplest approach.  Ang motto ko, the more complicated it becomes, the greater the likelihood of something going wrong. 

Mas preferred ko sana ang WDTV, kabisado ko na kasi.  Pero sobrang tagal na, wala pa rin silang new model.

I researched the Intel NUC, pero hindi media player ang approach, maraming magiging problema sa media player use. 

The I looked at the Minix.  Attractive, kasi very high tech specs, Android pa.  Pero sasakit daw ang ulo mo sa bugs nito. 

Mede8er seems to be one of the most stable players I've read up on.  It's a South African company that emphasizes on European distribution, which is why it's not popular in the US. Not very popular in the Phils, kasi pag konti lang ang US reviews and US forum discussions, medyo duda tayo.

Sabi sa UK forums, ang mga Mede8er daw ay may "it just works" na characteristic.

Iniiwasan ko sana ang Realtek chips because they cannot render 23.976p correctly.  Ok sa true 24p, but has the 41-second skip on 23.976p.  (On Sigma chips, it's vice versa --- ok sa 23.976, but with the 41-sec. skip on true 24)

Matinik ang mga gumagawa ng firmware ng Mede8er.  Their engineers thought at first that it was not going to be possible on Realtek, but they did it.  The x3D series now plays both 23.976 and 24p correctly.  I think they had to redo the entire SDK (Software Development Kit).

Hi,

Im curious, are you looking for an extra media player or one that will replace your existing WD TV? If to replace, what is/are the reason(s) why you are no longer happy with it and which WD TV version do you have?

I ask since I am in the market for a second media player and thinking of a WD TV but checking out as well for negative reviews on this one, if any.

Thanks and I hope the thread starter wont mind the minor hi-jack :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015 at 10:09 PM »
I have two WDTVs (both streaming Gen. 3, year 2011). One for the bedroom and one for the HT room.

I need a 3D player for the HT room, but I don't need a 3D player for the bedroom.  WDTV has no 3D models, so I'm replacing the HT player with a Mede8er.

High-tech features are useless to me if the unit is too buggy.  All media players have bugs, but some are more stable and reliable than others. 

WDTV is one of the stable ones, and it's cheap.  That's why I like it, and that's why my bedroom unit will not be replaced with another brand any time soon.

But WDTV hasn't released a new player since 2011.  Still no 3D in 2015.  Yes, they released a 2014 version, but the only difference is that they removed the Netflix app; everythig else is the same.  Firmware is buggier than the 2011 model's firmware.

So for the HT room, I'm going to try the Mede8er MED600x3D, since it also has a reputation for stability.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015 at 10:14 PM by barrister »

Offline Zenki

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015 at 06:52 AM »
Sir Barrister, saan meron nito and how much ang MED600x3D?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015 at 05:15 PM »

MED600x3D, may nakita akong 3 stores sa V-Mall Greenhills, all at P6,500 each, cash price.  Problema lang, walang WiFi kit available.

I bought my MED600 at Listening Room, SM Megamall (tel. 633 5085), P6,300; plus P1,200 for the PCIe WiFi kit (P7,500 total), cash-only basis.  The kit was installed by the supplier.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015 at 05:49 PM by barrister »

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015 at 07:35 PM »

MED600x3D, may nakita akong 3 stores sa V-Mall Greenhills, all at P6,500 each, cash price.  Problema lang, walang WiFi kit available.

I bought my MED600 at Listening Room, SM Megamall (tel. 633 5085), P6,300; plus P1,200 for the PCIe WiFi kit (P7,500 total), cash-only basis.  The kit was installed by the supplier.

Hi Barrister,

Just a follow question on your response to mine.

Assuming you were on the look out for your first and only media player, which one would be the best bang for the buck and, eventually, you will get, the MED600x3d at 6,300 or the WD TV at 3,900?

Best,

egzbuen

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015 at 07:52 PM »

wala bang generic USB compatible?
toy

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015 at 12:32 PM »
Meron din daw, sabi sa Mede8er forums.

Pero problematic yan, dapat kasi yung WiFi dongle mo ay compatible sa Realtek networking chip ng player.  Drivers cannot be installed.

Para maiwasan ang sakit ng ulo, dapat Mede8er din ang WiFi dongle.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015 at 05:58 PM »
Meron din daw, sabi sa Mede8er forums.

Pero problematic yan, dapat kasi yung WiFi dongle mo ay compatible sa Realtek networking chip ng player.  Drivers cannot be installed.

Para maiwasan ang sakit ng ulo, dapat Mede8er din ang WiFi dongle.

Yun Mede8er ko, binilhan ko nyan, hindi ko pa nagagamit. haha!

Offline nogo

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015 at 10:30 PM »
Kung med600x3d at 6300php cguro mas maganda med800x3d at 6500php.
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015 at 10:34 PM »
Kung med600x3d at 6300php cguro mas maganda med800x3d at 6500php.

Hi Nogo, is there a big difference between the two models?

Offline nogo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015 at 10:41 PM »
Hi Nogo, is there a big difference between the two models?
D ko macompare sir dahil med1000x3d yun akin tapos binenta ko dahil sa kagustuhan kong bumili ng pch a410.
Na miss ko tuloy yung bd menu lite ng mede8er
Pero sa price difference na 200php, med800x3d na ako☺
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015 at 10:43 PM »
D ko macompare sir dahil med1000x3d yun akin tapos binenta ko dahil sa kagustuhan kong bumili ng pch a410.
Na miss ko tuloy yung bd menu lite ng mede8er
Pero sa price difference na 200php, med800x3d na ako☺

Thanks Nogo.

Does that mean, among the med models, only the 1000 can play BD iso and BD menus? Is that with a sigma chipset?

Offline nogo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015 at 10:47 PM »
Thanks Nogo.

Does that mean, among the med models, only the 1000 can play BD iso and BD menus? Is that with a sigma chipset?
The med800x3d with bd menu.  I saw it with my friend's. They are all in realtek chipsets sir.
Nung nasa akin pa med1000x3d d ko na try bd iso dahil wala pa akong file na bds dahil na yolanda hdds ko. Lately ko lang nalaman na supported pla bd menu yung med800x3d☺
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015 at 10:59 PM by nogo »
LG42LA6200
Marantz SR5008/NR1604(O)
BW685S2/Q3020 (O)
SVS PB1000/SB12NSD (O)
PCHA410
BD-F5500K

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015 at 10:03 AM »
can the mede8er output sound through the USB ports?  Is it possible to have a asynchronous USB dac attached to it?  If not, any media player who does this?
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015 at 10:40 AM »
can the mede8er output sound through the USB ports?  Is it possible to have a asynchronous USB dac attached to it?  If not, any media player who does this?

May music streamer na for sale sa marketplace natin. Hehe!

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015 at 11:04 AM »
oo nga parekoy.  na excite nga ako sa HRT.  tanong ko lang kung pwede ito sa mede8er.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015 at 02:47 PM »
oo nga parekoy.  na excite nga ako sa HRT.  tanong ko lang kung pwede ito sa mede8er.

Sana sa 800X pwede. Sa first gen ko hindi pwede eh. Though you can access naman yun file sa mede8er if you have PC. Kailangan ata may OS yun mag-retrieve ng file sa Mede8er in order for it to work. Check mo din setting ng Mede8er mo.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015 at 02:48 PM by Nelson de Leon »