Author Topic: Old gears: Is it worth it to restore?  (Read 2318 times)

Offline kangkaroth

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Old gears: Is it worth it to restore?
« on: Mar 24, 2014 at 10:45 PM »
Hi mga sir,

I remembered my dad has some stuff that has been in his living room for decades. Heto sila:

I think may old school speakers pa sya. di ko pa lang nakukunan. May worth pa po ba ito if restored? or is it a waste of money?

if good to restore, can you direct me where? thanks mga sir

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
Re: Old gears: Is it worth it to restore?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2014 at 12:48 AM »
First If your going to use it, why not ?

I would skip restoring  the CD player, CD is on the way out.. or out na ata :) unless you have a lot of CD and dont have a player, then again CD/ DVD player is cheap.

I would personally restore the amp. Get a tech to clean the switches and knobs ("may" require capacitor replacement in some areas, if you get a popping sound when you start clicking on the buttons and using the switches)
Tuner rarely needs restoration
Equalizer, would require cleaning of the sliders.
Turntable, depends do you want to go analog ???

Here is another thread with a lot of vintage gears
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,92560.0.html

The

Offline kangkaroth

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 03:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply sir. sige i will post this query there.

Offline mykel18

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 04:17 PM »
You should restore depending on what it's value after the restoration is. If the restoration costs more than it's value then best to not restore the gears.
HT: JBL | A&D | Denon | LG
Audio: Naim | DeVore Fidelity | Roksan | Dynavector

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 04:48 PM »
you can pm trod93 to restore your turntable, and vhinx for your amps...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 890
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 05:14 PM »
You should restore depending on what it's value after the restoration is. If the restoration costs more than it's value then best to not restore the gears.

Hi mykel,

This may be subjective however the desire to resurrect a piece of gear may not be limited to what the blue book value would be. Value is subjective. We have different notions of value. Price alone is not an indicator of value nor is reselling price. Personal satisfaction may overcome that. If I could buy back the stereo that I grew up with that my mom gave to the house movers way back I would pay way more than what it is worth today just to see it here in my house. The TS mentioned gears that belonged to his father. Now if restoring those gears will bring back precious memories of his childhood while his father was playing those gears don't you think money nor present equipment value should stop one in that pursuit?

I for one won't.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline mykel18

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 05:21 PM »
Hi mykel,

This may be subjective however the desire to resurrect a piece of gear may not be limited to what the blue book value would be. Value is subjective. We have different notions of value. Price alone is not an indicator of value nor is reselling price. Personal satisfaction may overcome that. If I could buy back the stereo that I grew up with that my mom gave to the house movers way back I would pay way more than what it is worth today just to see it here in my house. The TS mentioned gears that belonged to his father. Now if restoring those gears will bring back precious memories of his childhood while his father was playing those gears don't you think money nor present equipment value should stop one in that pursuit?

I for one won't.

Good point though the TS is asking if the gears still has some worth after restoration. If for sentimental reasons, then it is also a go for me. Money is nothing in relation to one's happiness.  ;) ^-^
HT: JBL | A&D | Denon | LG
Audio: Naim | DeVore Fidelity | Roksan | Dynavector

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 890
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 05:25 PM »
Good point though the TS is asking if the gears still has some worth after restoration. If for sentimental reasons, then it is also a go for me. Money is nothing in relation to one's happiness.  ;) ^-^

That is very true. Neighbor ko nga gumastos ng 200K sa VW beetle that began as a rust bucket. Pwede naman bumili ng Corolla na 2000 up para Iwas sakit ng ulo but he went headstrong in the project. Now that it's done it ain't worth 200K at all if he decides to sell it but whenever he uses it his smile is a million bucks worth.....it belonged to his late grandfather.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline kangkaroth

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 06:27 PM »
thank you sir Hector for that point. i have to agree it has some sentimental value actually.... i have played voltes five and mazinger z vinyls before when i was a kid back then using this. of course, there's a limit too on how much i would like to spend. kaya i asked the worth as well. pero it would be nice to have this working again

Offline vhinx

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Guru
  • Power BASS Sound'z!...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 07:07 PM »
for my side, is good to restore/repair your pio ampli and turntable sir... I think the tuner will be ok kase digital naman sya at mga buttons lang need linisin lang.
Vintagenthusiast!... Sansui-Pioneer-Marantz-Paradigm

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 07:11 PM »
Your efforts on cleaning those gears, as in bringing into like new on their looks will be priceless....tapos, testing, at kapag napatunog mo sila on your own, mapapangiti ka....at kung may problema naman, at medyo malakas ang loob mong mangalikot kahit di mo alam, tapos, success yung kalikot mo, sarap ng feeling, kapag di na makuha sa lakas ng loob ng diy, hanap na ng techie guy....alam mo naman ang limitations mo..... ;)

good luck
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2014 at 04:24 PM »
if i were your dad's kid  :), will restore them to playing condition, at least.would be nice seeing & hearing them play again, esp the ff: :  silver faced flouro-metered integrated pioneer amp (US version, i believe) & turntable...
the tuner, baka naspu naspu lan at cleaning of switches nga lan.
baka maganda ang kasamang speaker nito...
 :)
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2014 at 08:39 AM by dana »

Offline kangkaroth

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2014 at 09:59 AM »
I can try to clean but thats as far as i can go. Kung kotse to kaya ko kalikutin hehe. I have no experience with electronics e. Siguro hanggang contact cleaner lang sa knobs? Kanino po ba pede pagawa na mura. Dont want to spend much din e for the amp atleast.

Btw found the speakers na. I know mali na yung category on where this thread is. Lagay ko lang para 1 set na.

Nabaha daw yung bottom speaker. To ang gusto ko sana marestore for sure. Any brands maybe in raon ang okay as replacement? Or any recommendations whrre to buy and what to buy? Thanks for all the help
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM by kangkaroth »

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM »
I am looking at your gear and to be honest, only sentimental value is their strength. I will personally pass on the endeavor.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM by Gino »

Offline roygee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 03, 2014 at 06:12 PM »
you can pm trod93 to restore your turntable, and vhinx for your amps...

Have the same situation here, just got my late grandpa's akai soundsystem, would like to know how much restoration would cost.. can some one pm me po sir trod93 and vhinx's contact numbers? Thanks so much!

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2014 at 06:17 PM »
send them pm's muna....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....