Author Topic: What is Cinema Drive and why doesn't it do anything?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline jars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is Cinema Drive and why doesn't it do anything?
« on: Apr 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM »
Hello people,

I have just recently purchased a Sony Bravia KLV-24R402A LED TV (24") and here's my question:

What is Cinema Drive?

In the specs and in the TV settings, there is no Motion Flow feature, but I was hoping Cinema Drive would achieve the same function, which is to smooth out or interpolate frames in video until the motion looks like 60fps (soap opera effect).
As it stands however, Cinema Drive seems to do only one thing when I turn it on... nothing.
I've looked all over the net, and seen posts about how incredibly wonderful turning Cinema Drive is, "Once I turned it on it's like the characters were in the room with me!". But I usually see it mentioned in connection with Motion Flow, while adjusting Cinema Drive to be Auto1 or Auto2, etc.
My Cinema Drive has only two settings, off and Auto.  Can anyone please shed some light on this for me? I don't understand why Sony would include Cinema Drive on a Bravia TV like mine that serves no purpose.
Even the manual says that it improves motion on videos played from Bluray, DVD, VCR recordings that were recorded on film.

Thanks,

ryan

By the way, official specs from Sony's website suggest that Cinema Drive, CineMotion, and Film Mode are the same feature.