Author Topic: DVD player w/ upscaling & good DAC  (Read 1952 times)

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVD player w/ upscaling & good DAC
« on: Apr 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM »
Few years back, when I was looking for a DVD player which had the best DAC that I can pair with my AV-200, my research led me to Pioneer 610. It has served me well and it's still a mainstay in the living room.

Now, I'm building a new HT which has a NMT but, still, want to have a DVD player so I can still play my other discs.

With that said,what do you guys recommend now for a branded DVD player which will not break the bank. Best, if it has good DAC and upscales to 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

Egzbuen
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM by egzbuen »

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: DVD player w/ upscaling & good DAC
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM »
Maybe a blu-ray player will do instead of DVD player. Most blu-ray players can play DVD & some can upscale to 1080p. Even a PS3 can do the job.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM »
Maybe a blu-ray player will do instead of DVD player. Most blu-ray players can play DVD & some can upscale to 1080p. Even a PS3 can do the job.

yes. And sanay na din naman siya sa sonic signature ng pioneer so pioneer bdp na lang.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:48 PM »
Mbtorn and Nelson,

Any specific Pio model in mind? How much so they cost nowadays? I have no experience with BDPs.

To all,

Any other suggestions or advise?

Cheers.

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2014 at 12:32 AM »
yes. And sanay na din naman siya sa sonic signature ng pioneer so pioneer bdp na lang.

Totally agree with Konsi, if you are using Pio AVR, then match it with a Pio bdp.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM »
Any specific models in mind guys? Would itnbe better to just get a PS3 or still go with a bd player?

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014 at 08:27 AM »
Any specific models in mind guys? Would itnbe better to just get a PS3 or still go with a bd player?

If you're going to use your receiver to process all the audio signals, then ther is no need for a good DAC either sa BDP or PS3. But if you also wish to play games sa new HT system mo, then PS3 it is. I'm not familiar lang as to the limitations ng type of files/regions the PS3 can play. pero comparing the DACs of both PS3 and BDP, i'd go with the BDP.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014 at 08:33 AM »
If you're going to use your receiver to process all the audio signals, then ther is no need for a good DAC either sa BDP or PS3. But if you also wish to play games sa new HT system mo, then PS3 it is. I'm not familiar lang as to the limitations ng type of files/regions the PS3 can play. pero comparing the DACs of both PS3 and BDP, i'd go with the BDP.

Thanks for chiming in once more buddy Nelson. I'm being offered the following models: BDP3110, BDP3220 and BDP440, all Pio and with the following prices: 4200, 5490 and 8500, respectively.

1. How do these models fair with the other brands and with themselves.
2. Why the almost doubled price on the last model?
3. Is it worth the price gain/diff? 

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014 at 02:18 PM »
Thanks for chiming in once more buddy Nelson. I'm being offered the following models: BDP3110, BDP3220 and BDP440, all Pio and with the following prices: 4200, 5490 and 8500, respectively.

1. How do these models fair with the other brands and with themselves.
2. Why the almost doubled price on the last model?
3. Is it worth the price gain/diff? 

I haven't reviewed their specs pero madalas yan sa features lang nagkakatalo. Quality of processing/upscaling, DAC used, 3D capability.