Author Topic: Samsung Flat Panel TVs - Lemon?  (Read 9941 times)

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Samsung Flat Panel TVs - Lemon?
« on: Apr 29, 2014 at 07:07 PM »
Hi. I would just like to share my experience with our samsung lcd tv. Bought last April 2012, despite the negative feedbacks I've read on this brand.
My first lcd tv was a toshiba 32", already 7 yrs old and still running (it was transferred to a condo unit that we rent out when we bought this samsung).
This samsung tv, same with the toshiba before, was used everyday in our bedroom for 2 to 4 hrs. Last week, 2 weeks after the warranty lapsed, white lines appeared and the samsung tech diagnosed a defective board. Repair estimate is 10-15k (you could already buy a bnew tv with this amount).
The sad thing is, just late last year, my sister and I bought a samsung 43F4500 and 51F5000, respectively. Had this happened earlier, we wouldnt even have considered buying this brand.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Samsung Flat Panel TVs - Lemon?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2014 at 11:16 AM »
tsambahan lang talaga sir sa mga units..lemon units sir pag nasira agad like ilang days or weeks pa lang..I don't think considered lemon ang 2 years..just my opinion..my panasonic pv80 conked out 3 yrs+..and there are a lot of people here still enjoying their pv80..malas malas lang

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014 at 11:57 PM »
Sana nga nasira agad kung under warranty pa, they'll have no excuse but to replace the unit.
Hindi kasi ako sanay sa 2yrs na disposable units.
My sister-in-law even asked the technician: "Talaga bang hindi tumatagal TVs nyo?". He answered: "Medyo ho" :-\

Offline MLfanatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014 at 06:59 AM »
I bought my first Samsung tv 10 years ago. It's the CRT box type, not the flat panels yet. Two days after the purchase, the remote control died. Still under warranty, the dealer replaced the remote control. About eight months later, the tv turned from a colored one to black and white. I called in for service. The following day a Samsung technician arrived. When I turned on the tv to show it to the tech guy, it returned to being a colored tv again. A few months after the one year warranty lapsed, the remote control died again. Further down the line, the power switch on the tv became very difficult to operate. I cannot believe that even its remote control (two of them) will die in just a matter of months of use. Most other remote controls from other makes last forever, but just not with Samsung. Very, very bad quality control or maybe buying cheap inferior electronic components to put in their electronic gears. It was my first Samsung, and it will also be my last. TV is just kept in storage now collecting dust. My friend bought a Samsung refrigerator. It was used for just one to two years and it conked out. He is also not buying any Samsung products anymore.

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014 at 07:13 PM »
No more samsung for me either. Will just keep my fingers crossed re my 51F5000 :-\
Magaling ang marketing strategy nila. Even at SM Appliance Stores, malaki ang alloted portion sa kanila.
Ang sabi ng tech nung pumunta (when told it was used for an average of 2hrs a day), hindi raw pwede gamitin ng matagal para hindi masira agad :( (Ilang minutes lang kaya dapat?)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014 at 07:16 PM by Reymer »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014 at 08:53 PM »
I'm a SAmsung Fanboy, never had problems with my units. ;D

Sa lahat ng brands may ganyang cases.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014 at 08:54 PM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline mbc0528

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014 at 05:30 AM »
unang bili ko ng samsung lcd, nasira agad after a year or so...
hindi lasting.. nagwhite na screen, then ndi na bumalik pix.

kaya balik sony nalang kami.  ;D

i never bought any samsung appliance since then.  ;)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014 at 06:34 AM »
Also have bad experiences wit samsung products. Parang class B units yung binebenta sa atin dito from other countries. Sa abroad happy sila sa samsung napakatibay daw(usa,aus) pero dito sa atin hit miss ang story

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014 at 09:32 PM »
Also have bad experiences wit samsung products. Parang class B units yung binebenta sa atin dito from other countries. Sa abroad happy sila sa samsung napakatibay daw(usa,aus) pero dito sa atin hit miss ang story

I've also read one US review, praising samsung's picture quality, but questioning its durability(due to numerous negative feedbacks).

Offline bote

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014 at 08:46 AM »
My case is different. 2011 TV I bought conked out and I called service. They responded promptly and will replace led panel free of charge. Swerte!
Classe cav 75/pio vSX 1120
Optoma uhd50x/Samsung h9500/yaqin mc10l/NAD bee515/Polk rti a7/reg rp3

Offline bote

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014 at 08:48 AM »
I also bought 55f7100 using 12 hours a day. Hope it lasts. Two years warranty lang.
Classe cav 75/pio vSX 1120
Optoma uhd50x/Samsung h9500/yaqin mc10l/NAD bee515/Polk rti a7/reg rp3

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014 at 01:16 PM »
Guys/Girls,

I just want to share my experience with Samsung LED TV. It is still under warranty.
As of this time, I am very disappointed with the quality of the 2012 40" 3DTV Samsung. Now, the screen is snowy. Prior to this, when I just bought it, there was a bleeding noticeable only in dark room. They replaced the panel assembly. Bleeding gone. After more than 6 months I wasn't satisfied with the hdmi quality of picture with connected to external drive for watching movie. Out of curiousity I swapped it with the other hdmi port and saw the huge difference. So I got a bad port that spits out a less quality picture. Called samsung and they endorsed me to their accredited service center however the service center was not responding so I called them again and dug into details why only to find out that the service center was blacklisted so I questioned them why give me a blacklisted service center to fix my tv. They can't answer me, they just immediately endorsed me to another service center. The technician went to the house, check my unit I needed to convince him to show the difference in different movie settings. Finally, he agreed by seeing the difference in picture quality. He replaced a board assembly and working again. Again after 5 months my unit conked out again. And I already requested samsung to replace my tv since it is still under warranty. I am truly disappointed with samsung now I am at their mercy I just learned from their admin they disapproved my request. But I also argued that I won't agree. And demanded for replacement, a refund at a value not depreciated or repair my unit and give a 5 year warranty. I told them your unit is a dud. I will have to wait for a week again.

I told their admin that I dealt with samsung aircon before and they replace my unit after replacing freon, condenser and evaporator. Why give me this agonizing process of begging from you. If this is not under warranty I told that I could have thrown this out of my window. Even the samsung rep in the famous mall appliance center told me "Sir, di na kayo nadala sa samsung pangalawa na pala ito". The admin ask the name but I told him the issue is the quality of your tv here your quality control should have detected unit defects coming out of your factory. Now, I ask the samsung admin to give me a name either Korean tech guy so I can talk to him about my case and we can talked about my unit I told him I can handle how technical they are. He begged off and didn't give in.

In the end, either replace, refund, repair and extend for 5 years warranty. Wait mode.  :-\

So, kung may tiga Samsung dito lurking around check my tracking number *******910. Hayyyy paubos na nga buhok sa taas at baba mauubos pa sa perhuwesyo ni samsung.   >:(

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014 at 02:50 PM »
I've never had a Samsung before but I am considering a 75 inch LED now.  Perhaps I need to look at other more reliable brands.  How I wish Panasonic would launch its large LED TV's soon.

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2014 at 03:17 PM »
Fyi. I just thought you guys/girls ought to know the update on my previous post in this thread regarding my samsung led tv. Samsung handling tv issues is a total crap as well as their policy of replacement. Here's why, last monday I initiated a call to check the status of my replacement approval. The samsung admin approved it but here the catch - even if they replaced it with the latest model the warranty of the original unit will be carried out meaning I still have only around 6 mos remaining. This is disputable. What happens if this new unit conks out again after 6 months, they'll rip me off with their repair cost.

So here goes I went to SMA their customer service I mean SMA very courteous asked me to pick equivalent model so I chose Sony, LG, lastly Samsung model.  After a few days I went back at SMA and guess what the Samsung model was approved. However just now, Samsung called me again and they changed the tune, from replacement to refund at a full amount. I agreed just return my money asap because I don't trust samsung anymore in fact I told him I preferred other brand when SMA asked me to pick. That's what I told their admin. How can I trust your brand if you can not even provide a guaranteed full warranty to a brand new replacement. That only means that they do not trust and also do not have confidence on their own design. Oh well, I hope the refund goes well this time.

This is to share my experience because in case you go through the same Samsung crappy process I'm going through now you know. :)

Offline Lancito

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2014 at 03:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience with Samsung.  I have not and will never buy a Samsung TV.

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 12:39 PM »
When you buy this brand, prepare yourself for the same agony :-X Walang kwenta ang consumer protection dito sa Pinas, kaya ganyan sila.

Offline xgh0st12x

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 01:53 PM »
Ive owned a 40eh5300 and currently own a 46f6400.
Neither have given me troubles and pray that the current does not as well.
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 09:17 AM »
Fyi. I just thought you guys/girls ought to know the update on my previous post in this thread regarding my samsung led tv. Samsung handling tv issues is a total crap as well as their policy of replacement. Here's why, last monday I initiated a call to check the status of my replacement approval. The samsung admin approved it but here the catch - even if they replaced it with the latest model the warranty of the original unit will be carried out meaning I still have only around 6 mos remaining. This is disputable. What happens if this new unit conks out again after 6 months, they'll rip me off with their repair cost.

So here goes I went to SMA their customer service I mean SMA very courteous asked me to pick equivalent model so I chose Sony, LG, lastly Samsung model.  After a few days I went back at SMA and guess what the Samsung model was approved. However just now, Samsung called me again and they changed the tune, from replacement to refund at a full amount. I agreed just return my money asap because I don't trust samsung anymore in fact I told him I preferred other brand when SMA asked me to pick. That's what I told their admin. How can I trust your brand if you can not even provide a guaranteed full warranty to a brand new replacement. That only means that they do not trust and also do not have confidence on their own design. Oh well, I hope the refund goes well this time.

This is to share my experience because in case you go through the same Samsung crappy process I'm going through now you know. :)

Update lang Guys/Girls, after I think almost 5 months of a grueling and agonizing experience with Samsung. 60+ follow up call via Samsung Hotline( they will not call you when it comes to refunding your money). Talked to different managers making promises that will give you feedback or update nada. 20 email follow-ups.  Finally, received the refund. Whewww thank God nakuha ko din. I'll start hunting for a new TV. Samsung is definitely out.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2384
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM »
Just curious do you guys use avr and surge protector? I use both.

Offline Columbia

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 817
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM »
Bought my Samsung 40" LED and 2 Samsung 26" LCD last December 2010, no problem so far.. :) :) :)
Columbia

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2384
« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 02:32 PM »
I started with samsungs in the mid 2000's when lcd tv's are freaking expensive. Lg wasn't really on the market yet, parang its down to samsung, sony and toshiba. I remember sony selling double the price of samsung. This is the reason i chose samsung. To me its not fair labeling a brand na puro lemon or whatever. If there is a negative in samsung its the sound, parang mas mahina. But i think they already fixed that. As for other products like aircon, washing machine, after service etc. i can't comment because i don't have any first hand experience. It's normal to have a lemon or something that will conk out faster than others. It happens to other brands too. Yun sa bleeding sakit ng lcd and led yan. I just make sure my tvs are plugged to an avr then to a surge protector.

I have 3 samsungs, one 32 inch, my first lcd, since 2006, still rocking in my daughter's room. Remote lang not working well na so recently got a replacement.

Regarding dead pixels and bleeding, im sure baka meron din sa akin but i dont even mind them. Imo, Don't even bother looking for these, unless it's something drastic, because you might end up changing your tv very often. Kung drastic ibang usapan yan. Dapat talaga laban mo. Pero So far enjoying naman everything that i am viewing with my samsungs. Knocking on wood.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2014 at 03:39 PM by Moks007 »

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 04:08 PM »
I used surge protector sa ac inlet and an inline surge protector at the antenna input. I dont have a lightning arrestor sa antenna outside. I dont use avr but normally wide range ang mga power supply ng LED tvs from 90Vac to 264Vac and pag maganda ang design talaga nila it can handle a short high transient voltage surge. Pero better use all protection a friend of mine repairing tv told me na most tv's na nasisira daw is power supply related and yung mga tinatamaan ng lightning.

Ayaw siguro ng Samsung brand sa akin. Aircon ko samsung din, broke down just before its warranty ended but they replaced it with a new aircon. Baka itong grupo ng LED TVs they have a different ways/policy on dealing with customers when it comes to repair/replacement. Iba kasi ang grupo ng LED TVs sa Aircon/Ref.

Offline krijtin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 08:44 PM »
Our Samsung plasma tv, which I bought in May 2011, wouldn't turn on normally. I was able to turn it on a couple of times, the screen showed weird picture (parang yung static gray). Then I turned it off an on, wala na. I did it a few more times (turn on-off), until you can hear the audio but has no picture.

The tv was bought at SNS and is out of warranty already. We're located at San Pedro, Laguna.

Question: Would Samsung charge me if I'll have them check my out-of-warranty TV unit?
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2014 at 08:46 PM by krijtin »

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 09:43 PM »
Our Samsung plasma tv, which I bought in May 2011, wouldn't turn on normally. I was able to turn it on a couple of times, the screen showed weird picture (parang yung static gray). Then I turned it off an on, wala na. I did it a few more times (turn on-off), until you can hear the audio but has no picture.

The tv was bought at SNS and is out of warranty already. We're located at San Pedro, Laguna.

Question: Would Samsung charge me if I'll have them check my out-of-warranty TV unit?

Pag out of warranty na they will definitely charge you. Normal SOP yan sa lahat. And as far as I know, when you decide to have it repaired, around 25% of the original cost ang repair charge. Ang mga units nowadays, it is modular inside so they will replace whichever module is defective. Check with them if they can repair the defective module on a component level baka makamura ka pa.

Offline yapoy86

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: Aug 10, 2014 at 10:51 PM »
Yung warranty talagang carry over yan kahit nag replace ng new unit. For example in 6 mos time nasira yung tv tapos pinalitan ng bago yung remaining 6 mos na lang warranty mo.  Kahit sa motolite battery at goodyear tires ganun din.

Dito samin lahat ng tv samsung wala naman problema lahat
  No need to use surge protectors kasi yung mga tv ngayon naka auto volt na switching power supply. 100 to 240 volts kaya nyan hindi masisira

Offline krijtin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM »
Pag out of warranty na they will definitely charge you. Normal SOP yan sa lahat. And as far as I know, when you decide to have it repaired, around 25% of the original cost ang repair charge. Ang mga units nowadays, it is modular inside so they will replace whichever module is defective. Check with them if they can repair the defective module on a component level baka makamura ka pa.

Thanks for the reply. How about for diagnosis lang? May idea ba kayo how much they charge? Been calling the Samsung contact center, laging busy yung lines. :-/

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 11, 2014 at 12:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply. How about for diagnosis lang? May idea ba kayo how much they charge? Been calling the Samsung contact center, laging busy yung lines. :-/
I believe they will charge you sa diagnosis lang. Baka minimal lang. Kasi pupunta diyan yung technician which will incur the transpo. But better call samsung to clarify this matter. Ganyan talaga diyan tagal sumagot tiyaga lang.

Offline nesty

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 11, 2014 at 01:03 PM »
Yung warranty talagang carry over yan kahit nag replace ng new unit. For example in 6 mos time nasira yung tv tapos pinalitan ng bago yung remaining 6 mos na lang warranty mo.  Kahit sa motolite battery at goodyear tires ganun din.

Dito samin lahat ng tv samsung wala naman problema lahat
  No need to use surge protectors kasi yung mga tv ngayon naka auto volt na switching power supply. 100 to 240 volts kaya nyan hindi masisira

Yun nga problema dito sa atin weak ang customer protection. Based sa experience ko pag si Samsung main ang magpapalit ng bagong model mo ng new unit carry over nga ang warranty. Ito pinagtalunan namin ni samsung eh sabi palitan nila ng new unit tapos carry over lang warranty. Eh bagong unit yan dapat new warranty ganun daw policy. Sinabi ko do you trust your company name? Di makasagot. Nag tip sa akin ang manager ng isang malaking appliance center at ang sabi kung sa amin manggaling ang replacement reset ang warranty mo sir.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #28 on: Aug 11, 2014 at 01:05 PM »
Samsung two 40inch no issues so far....wala na nga lng warranty ..mapa 4years ko lang to ayos na ako hehe... Meron din talagang specific model na may issue ang samsung lalo na ung mga led...same goes with other brand..
Mahirap lang talaga kapag nangyari ung issue ung katatapos lang ng warranty...kainis talaga un...as it happened to my msi laptop before..

Wala kasi stress test ang mga tv para madetermine kong lemon unit...kung meron tips para aware tayo
Love me or hate me.....

Offline krijtin

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 11, 2014 at 01:16 PM »
I believe they will charge you sa diagnosis lang. Baka minimal lang. Kasi pupunta diyan yung technician which will incur the transpo. But better call samsung to clarify this matter. Ganyan talaga diyan tagal sumagot tiyaga lang.

Thanks, Sir. I was able to get in touch with them already. Quote is around PhP 350 - 650 for check up fee. Re: repair fee, yung affiliated service center daw ang makakapag-quote.

I found in the Internet na ang usual culprit for the issue our TV is experiencing is bad capacitors. May mabibilhan kaya non dito? Mura lang daw kasi yun, I'm afraid na kapag mismong sa Samsung ko binili, masyadong taga sa parts.