Author Topic: Advice re: Purchase of bigger than 65" or bigger 3D capable (prefer passive)  (Read 1810 times)

Offline calhoun_mackenzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi All,
   First off, thanks in advance for any information. I have  a networked house with 2 computers functioning as media center for the 2k++ movies plus the tv episodes and other media in a centralized 5T effective RAID 5 repository 'server' . The movies range from a few really big HD ones (e.g Batman Rises 13G file) to the old <1G files I have. Anyways mostly all movies look fantastic on the current 50" Panasonic Plasma. I am looking for  a new 65" or bigger 3D capable TV (don't really care kung smart tv since  I  will probably always have a computer attached to it anyways via HDMI). I use XBMC btw. I brought my laptop to SM Cubao just to check out the Devant bundle there of 80" plus 65". With the 13G Batman movie, it looked ok. The others well, as expected medyo downgraded ang quality since most of my files are just 720p (more than enough for me for the current 50" plasma). Medyo nakaka-panghina lang ng kaunti na I would have to up the quality of all 2k plus movies to enjoy on the big tv (5T server to approx 20T? hehehehe). Looking at the  65" Devant, the quality was passable enough and on the LG 65".

Anyways if anybody  has actual experience or even just information on the availability and quality of screens 65" or bigger with movie files that would be great.  Thanks again.

Offline mykel18

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Time to download 1080p files.  ;D
Go with LG or Sony. Sharp naman for bigger than 65" para makatipid but quality pa rin.  ^-^
If you can still get a 65" Panasonic plasma, then better.  >:D
HT: JBL | A&D | Denon | LG
Audio: Naim | DeVore Fidelity | Roksan | Dynavector

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
thanks average ko now is about 4-6 gig of 1080p files. kaso those files don't look so good on the 80 incher. :( grabe so x3? kasi iyung 13g file looks good... haaayz kaya pala nakakakita ako ng 20,40, 60 gig movies... saan hahahanap ng board na meron 8 sata slots? hehehehe...

been asking around and some have the opinion that plasma looks better than LEDs... opinions here? also meron ba bigger than 65 inch  na plasma available locally?

Offline AC

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 333
if i were to shop now for a big tv... i would surely get Samsung 75F8000.. 190k only...
trusted brand...
sharp 90" 360k
LG 84" 540k

dont buy a disposable tv.... if you want to use your tv for a long time.. dont get a devant.. may libreng tv.. libre din sakit sa ulo..
hindi ko alam ano advantage ng devant.. why you would pick it over similar priced branded tv despit everyone on your last thread suggested you to buy other brands....

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
thanks average ko now is about 4-6 gig of 1080p files. kaso those files don't look so good on the 80 incher. :( grabe so x3? kasi iyung 13g file looks good... haaayz kaya pala nakakakita ako ng 20,40, 60 gig movies... saan hahahanap ng board na meron 8 sata slots? hehehehe...

even a 4-6GB will look good on your display as long it was encoded properly..you have 1080p display with a 1080p file..pili ka din syempre ng material to test..baka panget tlga ung movie kahit diretso pa su bluray pag tinest mo hehe..20gb+ are already remux copies..40gb probably bluray iso na ito..

average ko na 1080p files are mostly 8GB-12GB above..madalas nagpapalaki din sa file size is yung audio na kasama

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Thanks disturbed.

Thanks AC! the 190k  Samsung is available everywhere? The sharp had some negative reviews sa amazon so hesitant ako. Also am forecasting that my movies would look bad at that screen size... Tested in SM North Edsa the Sony 70 inches. Ok naman even with the 2 gig movie files basta naka cinema mode...siyempre better iyung mga 4-8 gig files pero passable naman ang 720p encoded files.  Since I tried the 84 inch devant na, am thinking 70 (maybe 75) is the limit for me. :) Kakapagod maghanap ng demo units. Ang sabi ng LG kanina, iyung 84 inches sa MOA daw available...waaa! eh QC boy ako. hehehehe...

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Sir. Just would like to ask kung purely for movies lang ba or are you.also going to watch cable channels(HD)... Kasi with your budget and if you have the space, magandang JVC Projector and Screen Innovation Black Diamond projector screen na mabibili nyo. If you have time visit kayo sa Architectural Audio in Greenbelt ;)

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
haven't watched tv / cable in years.. sorry :) still worried about the lifetime of projectors and the consumables and maintenance (bulb). also the location could take in a bigger screen size once renovated but realistically, the storage for this things would be prohibitive and somewhat of a technical issue (RAID 5/1/2 storage of 20T... I have no desire to investigate or purchase mobos with 8 sata slots).  Thanks for the offer though. Just currently looking for a demo of the 75 Samsung mentioned (to test).. or where to purchase with guaranteed stock at the best possible price...

Offline AC

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
i would be more worried sa life ng devant kesa sa projector...

projector's bulb is wear and tear item... a few thousand hours... then you replace the bulb at the fraction of the cost ng unit..

sa devant tv.. pag bumigay.. bili ka uli ng 650k tv..

+1 din kay sir louie.. pag movies lang panoorin mo.. no cable/tv... mas maganda nga projector.. you can go bigger pa..

75" samsung edsa.. madami po meron display nun... meron sa north edsa QC... sm appliance.. sa cube and sa basement ng old building... medyo mataas price dun.. but... you can check unit and buy sa sellers dito... last time i checked.. there are 3 sellers here...

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
thanks AC. Actually Devant is out of my picture na. Nagulat lang ako sa initial offering nila and after talking to the supplier...the knock-off price for corporate sales. Kaso 4k is out of my picture na rin and it looks like I will top off at 70 inches (maybe 75)... last time I checked kasi the 80 inches was at 800k and so I ignored it, apparently prices have gone down (thanks 4k...which I will not purchase anyways hehehehe).  Need to test out the Samsung 75 incher...was in NE, Trinoma and will go to Shang next...haaayz nasaan kaya ang mga demo units? hehehe...

Offline AC

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
sorry sir calhoun.. i initially thought you were a representative from devant.. meron kasi nagtry magpromote dito ng devant by pretending to be a buyer.. hehe

sa... north edsa ko nakita sa basement and sa cube.. both sm appliance may display pero mahal sakanila...
i think there are 3 sellers dito sa pinoy dvd.. 1 is 190k the other 2 both 190k+...

there are 2 models po...
75F6300
= 160k sa sm na...

75F8000
= 190k (sa ifs dito)

i prefer the F8000 model.. kasi manipis... (but im not an expert sa picture quality)
superficial lang.. hehe ask mo iba kung ok ba talaga ito...

kahit 1080p lang siya... yung natago mo namang budget... pwede mo pangbili uli 3 or 4 years from now ng bagong tv pag common na and may mapapanood na sa 4k..

happy shopping

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
hehehe AC, definitely NOT a Devant Sales Person. Hamak na consumer lang po. Nasa assorted buy and sell ba iyung IFS? sorry newbie here... Just checked out  75 H6400 kanina and the Aquos 80". Personal preference ko na ang Samsung. Nasaan kaya si seller dine...hehehe... looking for the best deal na lang... :) thanks again!

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM by ♡ Louie_18™ ✌ »

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked: