Author Topic: help please! speakers not "sounding right"...  (Read 1497 times)

Offline newbieforever

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
help please! speakers not "sounding right"...
« on: Jun 20, 2014 at 07:37 PM »
i have a pair of Diatone DS-S3 Floor standers that aren't sounding as they should. higher frequencies are decent but the middle and lower frequencies are virtually nonexistent. a fellow PDVDer with the same model confirms that there should be enough bass to go around. my question is, could this be an issue with the woofer or crossover? can a crossover actually break down? any help would be highly appreciated.  :'(

* side note: the speakers run on a pair of 8cm (3") full range drivers and a pair of 10cm (4") woofers. i did manage to partially disassemble and locate the woofer and crossover unit on one "tower". i did this since i thought that the units might have been cannibalized. so yes, all components are present and accounted for.

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: help please! speakers not "sounding right"...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 08:12 PM »
i have a pair of Diatone DS-S3 Floor standers that aren't sounding as they should. higher frequencies are decent but the middle and lower frequencies are virtually nonexistent. a fellow PDVDer with the same model confirms that there should be enough bass to go around. my question is, could this be an issue with the woofer or crossover? can a crossover actually break down? any help would be highly appreciated.  :'(

* side note: the speakers run on a pair of 8cm (3") full range drivers and a pair of 10cm (4") woofers. i did manage to partially disassemble and locate the woofer and crossover unit on one "tower". i did this since i thought that the units might have been cannibalized. so yes, all components are present and accounted for.

a lot of factor to consider, what amp are you using?is your amp working properly? bridge on the binding post connected properly?

Offline robot.sonic

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 08:16 PM »
Check speaker polarity.

Baka may phase cancellation.

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 08:17 PM »
I had a chance to own these pair of speakers for almost 4 years... i also had these issue before and had it repaired by Love Electronics.. They replaced both bass driver and that's it, problem solved... These are good sounding speakers if you paired it with a right Amp :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline newbieforever

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2014 at 09:21 PM »
thanks for the replies!

@rochie
i'm using a hybrid tube amp (75W x 2). the amp works fine (tested on another set of speakers), although im sure these speakers would want more power.  the guy i got it from had it connected to a 150W x 2. although it did sound better, lower frequencies still weren't there.

@robot.sonic
polarity crossed my mind as well. tried switching + and - wires from amp to speakers. got the same result either way.

@reynold
good to know someone else had these before. were the drivers not working at all or simply not good enough?

i'm guessing by your responses that the crossover would be the least of my worries?

Offline rochie

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2014 at 09:10 AM »
thanks for the replies!

@rochie
i'm using a hybrid tube amp (75W x 2). the amp works fine (tested on another set of speakers), although im sure these speakers would want more power.  the guy i got it from had it connected to a 150W x 2. although it did sound better, lower frequencies still weren't there.

@robot.sonic
polarity crossed my mind as well. tried switching + and - wires from amp to speakers. got the same result either way.

@reynold
good to know someone else had these before. were the drivers not working at all or simply not good enough?

i'm guessing by your responses that the crossover would be the least of my worries?

you would still want to check the crossover capacitors(bloated electrolytic) ,coil,resistors also check for cold solder,kinda difficult if you don't have the tools. if all else fail baka yung bass driver,if thats the prob you can pm me and i can help you find a driver for that.

Offline newbieforever

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2014 at 09:15 AM »
you would still want to check the crossover capacitors(bloated electrolytic) ,coil,resistors also check for cold solder,kinda difficult if you don't have the tools. if all else fail baka yung bass driver,if thats the prob you can pm me and i can help you find a driver for that.

ok.. i'll try and disassemble again next week. i'll take a picture of the crossover and post it here. i'll also try to remove the bass driver (pretty tough to do since it is situated deep inside the tower) or at least get some information on it. thanks again!

*edit: from audio database site:
for low pass: 2 x 10cm cone type (Super-Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm)
frequency (for the set): 45Hz to 20k Hz
Crossover Frequency: 200Hz
so i'm guessing i need a bass driver to cover 45Hz to 200Hz. would this be correct?
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2014 at 09:34 AM by newbieforever »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM »
Do not expect much from a 4" woofer/driver.

Offline newbieforever

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2014 at 01:54 PM »
Do not expect much from a 4" woofer/driver.

understood sir!  :) what i'm after is to actually get the speakers to work as they should. really curious as to what a 3" full ranger with a 4" woofer can deliver.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Re: help please! speakers not "sounding right"...
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2014 at 04:32 PM »
understood sir!  :) what i'm after is to actually get the speakers to work as they should. really curious as to what a 3" full ranger with a 4" woofer can deliver.

Try mo dalhin kay Trod93. He's nearly perfected the enclosures of 4" full range speakers. Baka makita niya ang problem. At the same time, audition mo din ang 4"ers niya.