Author Topic: Vintage vs. Modern CD Players/DACs purely based on SQ for CD playback  (Read 1464 times)

Offline newbieforever

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
putting all the bells and whistles present in many modern cdps aside, how do they compare against older players purely in terms of CD playback? has CD playback technology really changed over the past decade or so? for instance, how would a NOS Denon from 10 years ago sound against a more recent Denon of the same class?

taking things a bit further, high end vintage cdp or mid-level current cdp?

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Sir, personally, im inclined to the thought that technology advances not regress overtime.  Technology, moreso on CDPs, has gone a lot of refinement and add-ons.  I believe that highend nowadays are far better from highend offerings a decade ago. 

However, going vintage allows us to enjoy nostalgia for a certain era of radio.  It has a certain bragging rights of owing a piece of history given its age.  Another thing to consider is price.  Vintage highend gears are priced nowadays even lower than entry-level stuff.

Again, personally I woudl go for new CDPs in lieu of high-end vintage gears.  To have an assurance of reliability and warranty is something I would value.

Thanks

Paeng
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline melbourne

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Very well said.

Offline newbieforever

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
good points sir paeng.

the reason i ask is because i am trying to "simplify" my system without having to shell out more cash. as of the moment, i have a Denon DAP 2500A DAC/Preamp hooked up to a generic Pioneer DVD player. my options are:

1.  sell/trade the Denon for a more modern entry/mid-level CDP
2.  sell/trade the Denon for a vintage higher end CDP
3.  keep the Denon and purchase a cheaper CDP (to be used solely as a transport)

as of the moment, i'm leaning towards option 3 but would consider other options if it would mean a significant improvement in sound quality.

Offline newbieforever

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
for some closure (at least on my part), i went ahead and got a used but fairly modern cd player from the early 2000s (Denon DCD 755ii).  while not exactly high end, i have to say that it does sound better on its own than when hooked up to my DAC/Preamp (as a transport via TOSLINK). i'll probably do a side by side vs my previous set up (Generic DVD player + DAC) to see which comes out on top. but for now, pretty happy with the newer player.

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Keep us posted of your findings

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked: