Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2015  (Read 119123 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NCAA / UAAP 2015
« on: Jun 29, 2014 at 09:02 AM »
Collegiate basketball begins with NCAA Season 90!

Let's cheer for our alma mater.   Good luck to our schools.

http://sports.inquirer.net/157368/san-beda-turns-back-jru-san-sebastian-nips-letran
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM by mattia »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2014
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 05:33 PM »
When will the UAAP start this season?
I'm sure DLSU will be unchallenged to win back to back.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 05:43 PM »
When will the UAAP start this season?
I'm sure DLSU will be unchallenged to win back to back.

July 12, this coming saturday would be the opening.

As for DLSU being unchallenged... might be. they have a monster line-up with the returning yutien andrada, 3 new fil-am recruits and the hold overs from last year.

UE i think would be a credible opponent - but depends on how arafat (new import) performs in the UAAP. Two imports alternating their time, providing instant offense (arafat) and monster defense (mamie - might have also improved his offensive skills).

Ateneo - hahay. small ball. i'll be happy if we crack the final 4 anything after that is bonus. looking forward to next year. haha!

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 06:08 PM »
How's UST? Who did they lose other than Teng?

Offline CoolTOYZPH

• Trade Count: (+166)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Break-in done... time to enjoy the music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 06:36 PM »
I had mass with the DLSU basketball team and boss danding yesterday and the team is huge with 2 new fil-ams. I did not see the third fil-am stated below... maybe he looks Filipino. Was very glad to learn that Vosotros had recovered from his injury.

As for DLSU being unchallenged... might be. they have a monster line-up with the returning yutien andrada, 3 new fil-am recruits and the hold overs from last year.
Where is the Love? BEP

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 07:08 PM »
I had mass with the DLSU basketball team and boss danding yesterday and the team is huge with 2 new fil-ams. I did not see the third fil-am stated below... maybe he looks Filipino. Was very glad to learn that Vosotros had recovered from his injury.

Mustre, Sargent and Tratter are the 3 new fil-am recruits. The DLSU team has the biggest front-court assembled. There are huge trees walking around in DLSU!!!!! AVO, Torres, Andrada

Mustre - i think is 5'10 or smaller so that's why you might not have noticed him?
Sargent - 6'6
Tratter - 6'3

Future looks bright for DLSU with Ben Mbala 6'6 joining next year. monster line-up.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 07:15 PM »
How's UST? Who did they lose other than Teng?

Haven't really taken a good look at UST's line up. But subido joined them so that would help in the guard position with shariff being undersized and bullied around by the pg's of the other teams last season or was it the other season(?). Hopefully, he's gotten better. Mariano, daquiaog, and Pe are still with the team even if Pe wanted to quit the team and focus on his studies. They could be in the thick of things this season but depends on how the new coach and the team gels.

DLSU
UE
FEU
ADMU/UST/NU
UP
ADU

That's how i predict the standings would be in the coming season based on line-ups but you don't win on paper. we'll see how it goes!
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2014 at 07:16 PM by questforthegoodlife »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 07:22 PM »
So no less than a sweep plus the championship this season by the Archers?
Maybe they are ambitious of a 5 peat like their Arch rival Ateneo did during the Norman Black era.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 07:29 PM »
So no less than a sweep plus the championship this season by the Archers?
Maybe they are ambitious of a 5 peat like their Arch rival Ateneo did during the Norman Black era.

Not sure if they can sweep but they are the only team for this season that is in the best position to pull it off.

Also, i might get a lot of flack for this but the UAAP will shoot themselves in the foot with the banning of imports. It will be circa 90's again with the proliferation of fil-ams and those with less in terms of support will have to rely on good scouting in the countryside (feu has the best network) to beat the teams who has a better connection for Fil-am/fil-fors and of course cornering the blue chip recruits in the HS ranks. For me, the african imports are the great equalizer for teams with smaller war chests and would teach our filipino players how to compete on a higher level against bigger and faster opponents.

All those talk of home-grown pride by FEU?? where's their HS stand out jj domingo and the other guy they didn't even crack the current line-up. They can't even promise their HS stars a slot in the team a of their seniors. If you look at the line-up of the uaap teams, the most who have home-grown are the ones not proclaiming to the world about it. The uaap residency for HS is basically the move by montinola for punishing soc rivera before for moving to UP and pinggoy now for moving to ateneo. plain and simple. I'm all for residency if one moves to another UAAP school when they're in college but for a HS graduate, there should be no residency.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2014 at 07:34 PM by questforthegoodlife »

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 354
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 09:07 PM »
^ I'm all for banning imports in the collegiate leagues ..... the UAAP/NCAA will continue to thrive without imports.

Like I've posted many times, basketball is one sport where our country has absolutely NO shortage of talent ....... at any given time, in any given baranggay, one can spot numerous potential talents to bring to the collegiate leagues.

I'm also against the proliferation of Filams, like what happened in the 90's ...... when certain teams employed US-based agents specifically to "recruit" Filams.

Even ADMU's Fr. Tito Caluag published his opinion on this practice and admitted that his school is guilty (along with one other school) ..... he concluded that the practice, deprived local talents of roster spots and scholarships.

Even a pro-league like the PBA saw the dangers of too many Filams, thus rules (5 Filams per team) were instituted many years ago.

=========================================================================

IMO the best equalizer or the best chance to achieve parity in the UAAP & NCAA, is to institute strict rules on player recruitment, like what the US NCAA has long done.

Here, we normally see tycoons and "businessmen" who have no educational affiliation with schools whatsoever, openly recruiting players ..... with the people involved even admitting monetary benefits (!)

“As of now syempre, priority pa rin niya yun (commitment with La Salle). Syempre si Boss Danding naman kasi yung nagpapa-aral sa kanila sa high school … silang magkapatid (ni Andre), syempre, priority pa rin namin ang La Salle,” said (Benjie) Paras.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras-move-to-us-has-blessings-of-la-salle-backer-cojuangco-says-dad-benjie-v02

In the US NCAA, a HS senior standout receiving a few sets of jackets, was enough to warrant a case against the recruiters (boosters) and the school ..... dito sa atin, lantaran ang palitan nang "benefits" pero parang wala lang. e.g. Alvin Teng being elevated to SMC ABL assitant coach just as Jeron Teng commits to DLSU/Danding.

There is a pending bill from Pia Cayetano which requires FULL DISCLOSURE on what student-athletes receive from the school and its "supporters". This is a good start. All those who love the sport should support this bill, if it does come around.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2014 at 09:09 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline fentom

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 09:31 PM »
Mabuti sana kung "legit" buinessmen yun benefactors. Pano kung katulad ni boss Delta jueteng money ang pinambabayad sa mga mercenaries nya? Kelangan natin ng independent body na mag iimbestiga sa mga "benefits" na natatanggap ng mga atleta

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2014 at 10:01 PM »
DLSU has a potential dynasty in their hands. It is theirs to lose.

Offline jonjon

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Collector
  • 41 steels and counting
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 323
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 08:21 AM »
Maski ako, IMO, dapat pag HS grad pa lang, wala dapat residency.  You are given the privilege to pick any school na gusto mo.  Wala naman sa rulebook kung san ka naglaro nung HS, dapat pag college mo dun ka din.  Pang transferee lang dapat yang residency.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 10:09 AM »
If strict recruitment rules were in place, this whole residency brouhaha might not have occured.

Like I've been ranting for the longest time - REMOVE all the businessmen, tycoons, cronies, etc from the collegiate leagues + document and disclose all student-athlete benefits = One step closer to parity

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 10:38 AM »
If strict recruitment rules were in place, this whole residency brouhaha might not have occured.

Like I've been ranting for the longest time - REMOVE all the businessmen, tycoons, cronies, etc from the collegiate leagues + document and disclose all student-athlete benefits = One step closer to parity

The points you raised are well met and i do agree that if there were strict recruitment rules and we were like the US NCAA then no doubt there would be parity in recruitment. I do wish it would be implemented so that these vindictive recruitment rules that are implemented by the UAAP board is squashed.

I do stand that banning imports is still detrimental. If you have the US NCAA recruitment rules in play, there would no need to ban "imports".  With globalization most universities now have foreign nationals studying dentistry, architecture, etc. since our cost of living is still cheap, with a good command of the english language, beautiful women, etc. our universities are a good destination for some foreign nationals. I say let them play. It just increases the competitiveness of the league. I find it myopic to ban foreign nationals when we ourselves always get excited that a filipino player is a prospect of a US NCAA div I, II, or even III school and we hope they get recruited.

Double standard, imo.

If we have a lot of filipino talent, then having talented foreign players playing in our leagues do not curtail recruitment of these more talented players. I would suggest more basketball tournaments, leagues to be expanded, etc. At the end of the day if you do have talent you will shine over those with less.

Better competition = better players.

Why do fil-am or pure filipinos playing in the US competitively are better than our filipino talents here? they play against better opposition they work harder and train smarter.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 01:17 PM »
The points you raised are well met and i do agree that if there were strict recruitment rules and we were like the US NCAA then no doubt there would be parity in recruitment. I do wish it would be implemented so that these vindictive recruitment rules that are implemented by the UAAP board is squashed.

I do stand that banning imports is still detrimental. If you have the US NCAA recruitment rules in play, there would no need to ban "imports".  With globalization most universities now have foreign nationals studying dentistry, architecture, etc. since our cost of living is still cheap, with a good command of the english language, beautiful women, etc. our universities are a good destination for some foreign nationals. I say let them play. It just increases the competitiveness of the league. I find it myopic to ban foreign nationals when we ourselves always get excited that a filipino player is a prospect of a US NCAA div I, II, or even III school and we hope they get recruited.

Double standard, imo.

If we have a lot of filipino talent, then having talented foreign players playing in our leagues do not curtail recruitment of these more talented players. I would suggest more basketball tournaments, leagues to be expanded, etc. At the end of the day if you do have talent you will shine over those with less.

Why do fil-am or pure filipinos playing in the US competitively are better than our filipino talents here? they play against better opposition they work harder and train smarter.

AGREE with you here.

As long as the player is a Student-Athlete, meaning being a student takes precedence over being an athlete, that should be fine.  In San Beda, I think two players were removed from the current seniors team because they failed their classes.

What is wrong is when schools resort to the so-called "hugot".  They get players, even to the extent of forging school records, just so they boost the team.  I know of some players who faked their ages just so they can play. 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 02:01 PM »
Actually the collegiate level should be all Filipino with addition of only three Fil-Ams per school as reinforcements but definitely ban those imports being recruited.
Home grown talents should be given the proper exposures so they can bloom and from there make a good career out of basketball after they're done in college.
San Beda should set an example by stopping the recruitment of imports.
They already have a good all Filipino line up but still they continue the bad habit of addition a HUGE import that cause imbalance competition in the league.

So far the only import worthy of playing in the collegiate leagues was Kirk Long, in fact, he should also be allowed to play in the PBA.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2014 at 02:46 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 05:43 PM »

Double standard, imo.

Good points you raised there bro ....... I agree with your points about playing against better oppositon will make you compete and improve yourself, as with the case of Filams playing in the US.

However, not to belittle the imports that play in the collegiate leagues - these imports are actually very short on talent. They're recruited primarily for being tall, strong, imposing and having some semblance of rebounding and/or offensive game ...... not surprising since their part of the world, the sport isnt established enough.

Honestly, outside of Ekwe, Mbala and maybe Adeogun, the lot of these imports are extremely "limited" ...... most have poor fundmentals e.g. 2-left feet syndrome.

So, there's not much to gain on a skill-level perspective ...... it's the other way around, the local leagues are actually making these imports better players.

If globalization here is such, that there are considerable number of foreign talent wanting to play competitive hoops ...... I say, let them play in the D-League or better yet, someone should start a grass-roots league featuring our guest students.

Like I said, there are thousands of local prospects playing in every baranggay in the country, just waiting to be discovered or get hit shot ...... lets not deprive them of their shot at the sport that is closest to our nations heart.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 07:02 PM »
Lineups for UAAP Season 77

AdU -
Matthew Aquino
Alexis Barrera
John Baytan
Harold Butron
Francis Donahue
Christian Garcia
John Gumtang
Alejandrino Inigo
Ryan Monteclaro
Joseph Nalos
Dawn Ochea
Jessiery Pedrosa
William Polican
Jansen Rios
Don Trollano
Ivan Villanueva

ADMU- (need to make one cut)
John Apacible
Anton Asistio
Gideon Babilonia
Gwynne Capacio
Clint Doliguez
Nico Elorde
Ponso Gotladera
Jay Javelosa
Isaac Lim
Chris Newsome
Von Pessumal
Kris Porter
Kiefer Ravena
Thirdy Ravena
Paul Siarot
Arvin Tolentino
Vince Tolentino

DLSU-
Yutien Andrada
Rob Bolick
Kib Montalbo
Terrence Mustre
Jason Perkins
Prince Rivero
Matt Salem
Julian Sargent
Jeron Teng
Norbert Torres
Thomas Torres
Abu Tratter
Arnold Van Opstal
Almond Vosotros

FEU- (from Mark Molina, via Pong Ducanes)
Mark Belo
Carl Cruz
Jason David
Jesson Delfinado
Vince Denila
Ron Dennison
Russel Escoto
Richard Escoto
Anthony Hargrove
Alejandro Inigo
Joel Lee Yu
Roger Pogoy
Francis Tamsi
Mike Tolomia
Reeve Ugsang

NU-
JJ Alejandro
Gelo Alolino
Alfred Aroga
Raphael Atangan
Henri Betayene
JP Cauilan
Reden Celda
Rev Diputado
Paolo Javelona
Glenn Khobuntin
Kyle Neypes
Tristan Perez
Troy Rosario
Mohamad Salim
Ralph Tansingco
Dave Yu

UE-
Dan Alberto
Edgar Charcos
Zyron Cudal
RR De Leon
Clark Derige
Pedrito Galanza
Daryll Guiang
Ivan Hernandez
Chris Javier
Gino Jumaoas
Charles Mammie
Moustapha Arafat
Mark Olayon
Emil Palma
Roi Sumang
Paul Varilla

UP-
Amani Amar
Henri Asilum
Vince Bederi
Diego Dario
Carlo Escalambre
JR Gallarza
Moriah Gingerich
Nomer Gonzales
Paul Harris
Mark Juruena
Kyles Lao
Jarrell Lim
Dave Moralde
Martin Pascual
Mikee Reyes
Chris Vito

UST-
Karim Abdul
Regie Basibas
Ed Daquioag
Levi Dela Cruz
Jeepy Faundo
Kevin Ferrer
Alfren Gayosa
Kent Lao
Kim Lo
Jan Macasaet
Aljon Mariano
Paulo Pe
Raymart Sablan
Sheak Sheriff
Renz Subido
Louie Vigil

Even on papers the Archer's lineup looks invincible & overwhleming.
It will be a BIG disappointment if they're gona lose even a single game this season.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2014 at 07:22 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #19 on: Jul 08, 2014 at 07:47 PM »
^ UP Fight! :)

I hope TV5 will air Gilas' first FIBA Asia Cup game (v. Chinese-Taipei) in the evening on Saturday, so that it won't conflict with the UAAP doubleheader in the afternoon.   
We deserve better.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2014 at 07:27 AM »
With all the very young talented blue chip players Danding is investing and hoarding, I think he should start another NCC program and develop them for international competition.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2014 at 07:34 AM »
With all the very young talented blue chip players Danding is investing and hoarding, I think he should start another NCC program and develop them for international competition.

Nice, but not likely to happen bro ....... SBP already has the GILAS program, which has been successful so far.

SBP backs GILAS because of corporate sponsor SMART and the fact that the SBP President is Manny Pangilinan himself.

Offline beknat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2014 at 10:55 AM »
Yung lineup ng DLSU parang ang sarap sabihin "ilista mo na sa W column" each game  ;D

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #24 on: Jul 09, 2014 at 12:58 PM »
UAAP Primer: University of the Philippines

How do we start from this? You have a sophomore as your leading returning scorer with 7.8ppg, shooting 40 percent from the field. Gone are Sam Marata and everybody's Tito Raul, Raul Soyud, who put up double digit outputs on a team that is horrid on both ends of the floor. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. Gone are the days when there is actually some fight in the Fighting Maroons. Yes, it's not what they're good at, but still, emulating the Philadelphia 76ers in tank mode year in and year out can only make it worse. What chance do they have now? Every celebrated recruit they have flamed out - let's not discount my HS batch mate, Mike Gamboa, this side of Marvin Cruz and Nestor David. Paolo Romero is the only one with an actual shot at making himself relevant, along with Kyles Lao. The Alinko Mba experiment miserably failed, and the Chris Ball mix isn't going to go somewhere else.

Predicted record: 1-13 (someone is bound to be caught on an unlucky day)

http://www.philstar.com/video-features/2014/07/09/1344251/watch-uaap-primer-maroons-whipping-boys-no-more

Haha!
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2014 at 12:59 PM by SiCkBoY »

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 09, 2014 at 01:46 PM »
At any given UAAP season, one can accurately predict the Final Four teams (or the Top 3 at the very least), even before the 1st game is played.

Norman Black said it best, "recruitment is the key" to winning in the UAAP.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2014 at 04:48 PM »
Nice, but not likely to happen bro ....... SBP already has the GILAS program, which has been successful so far.

SBP backs GILAS because of corporate sponsor SMART and the fact that the SBP President is Manny Pangilinan himself.

Actually I prefer the NCC program before with Ron Jacobs as coach over the Chot Reyes mentored Gilas program.
I'm sure given some power play, Danding will like to step into the picture as well.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM »
Actually I prefer the NCC program before with Ron Jacobs as coach over the Chot Reyes mentored Gilas program.
I'm sure given some power play, Danding will like to step into the picture as well.

To be fair with MVP, they did not re-invent the wheel ...... GILAS followed the NCC blueprint - we need a dedicated local crew and hire naturalized players to compete at a high level.

Ron Jacobs was a great coach, but people tend to forget that his NCC teams were bannered by an "army" of hired American players ...... which was trimmed down to the best 3, Engelland, Moore & Still for the last NCC teams.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 12, 2014 at 03:24 PM »
UAAP aired live now at Balls HD ;D  Ch.167 Skycable

Nice!!!!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 12, 2014 at 03:53 PM »
UE pulverizing State U with the usual Pumaren system w/c is full court pressing all the way.
The Warriors responding well to the new system of Derek.
Most likely its gona be UE vs DLSU in this season's finals.
Now can the Pumarens, who brought DLSU to numerous championhips, spoil the Archer's dream of a back to back UAAP title?
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2014 at 04:03 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!