Author Topic: Samsung F8500 Plasma (2013 & 2014)  (Read 58398 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Samsung F8500 Plasma (2013 & 2014)
« on: Jul 22, 2014 at 11:36 AM »

51" Samsung 51F8500 Plasma

I finally got a new, closed-box unit, with an MRT (Mains Running Time) of only 8 hours.

AR Filter & Uniformity

After avoiding AR (anti-reflective) filters for as long as possible, I finally gave in and purchased my first plasma TV with external AR filter.

Plasma filters are high-tech films attached on the plasma panel glass internally and externally.  The objective of the internal filter is to darken black levels while allowing the picture's brightness to pass through.  On the other hand, the external filter blocks out external light, while also allowing the picture's brightness to pass through.   

The problem with filters is that none of them works perfectly.  Any amount of filtering will always worsen picture quality, since you're always placing an impurity between you and the picture. Thankfully, the AR filter on this TV works as well as can be expected, given the inherent limitations of any filter, and I'm happy with its performance.

Screen uniformity is excellent on my unit. 

No dead/stuck pixels so far, thankfully. 

I've read about vertical lines on Panasonics and horizontal lines on Samsungs, which are imperfections caused by automated rollers used in applying the filter film on the glass panel.  My unit has no lines, although I've read about F8500 Sammys with very minor horizontal lines.

My old Sammy 51E550 had slight green and pink tinge, caused by a lower-quality internal filter.  But on this 51F8500, I have no filter discolorations.   

The major side-effect of this external filter, however, is darkening of the screen when viewed from an extreme vertical angle, an unavoidable result of louvre filters.  It's not possible to view the screen at an extreme vertical angle from a regular viewing distance, so there will be no problems when viewing from maybe 6 feet away or more.  But there will be screen darkening when viewing from the floor at a distance of about 3 feet or closer, so kids who like to sit up close to the screen will experience excessive screen darkening.

BI, IR, Phosphor Lag, Posterization

BI (burn-in) is a non-issue for plasmas these days, so there's no need to worry about it.

However, IR (image retention) is still an issue, and I immediately noticed quick-onset IR on this unit.   It only takes seconds for IR to set in, but it also goes away very quickly.

I'm absolutely sure that serious long-term IR is possible on this model, since I've seen it myself on a Sammy 51F8500 display/demo unit sold to me by SM Megamall (now returned and refunded).  Nevertheless, I'm still not too worried about long-term IR, since the unit I got from SM was set to store mode, where the unit was displaying Samsung logos during store hours at dynamic settings.  With an MRT of 1,920 hours on that unit, it would have been torture for any plasma TV.

Green phosphor lag has been a non-issue on plasma TVs for a long time, and it's still a non-issue on this TV.  Anyone who can see phosphor lag on this TV must have extremely sensitive eyes.

Posterization performance is excellent on this TV.  Slight posterization on my old Sammy 51E550 appeared only on the most demanding scenes, but on this TV, I can't find any posterization whatsoever. 

Dark and Bright

Black levels in a dark room are very good, thanks to its low MLL (minimum luminance level, reportedly at .001 fL); black levels in a bright room are also very good, due to the aggressive louvre filter.

I have no way of doing a side-by side black level comparison with a Kuro and a Panny ZT60, so I had to rely on foreign forum discussions.  And on those forums, the consensus is that the Panny ZT60 beats the Sammy F85000, while the Kuro still beats the Panny ZT60.   

While Kuro and ZT60 still have better black levels, that's about the only aspect where they're superior.   The Sammy F8500 may have higher black levels, but it's only very slightly higher.  Factor in this TV's extreme brightness, and contrast ratio becomes unbeatable --- better than any plasma TV ever made. 

The advantage of the bright panel is that it makes this TV a very versatile set, perfoming well in total darkness or extreme brightness. 

In my case, since my TV is in a dark room, I don't think the extremely bright panel will be of any useful advantage.  In fact, what I'm seeing is a disadvantage, since I notice that in some predominantly dark scenes with small spots of brightness, the bright spots seem too bright, making the stark contrast look a bit unnatural.   

At any rate, I'm now doing a 100-hour break-in after updating to the latest firmware, so I will still have to see if I'm going to have some improvement on that issue. 

Motion Performance

I'm very particular about motion performance, and I'm happy to report that motion on this unit is excellent, even if it has a minor quirk.

There is a known bug on this series, where turning off Cinema Smooth engages Motion Judder Cancellation, even if MJC is off.  To disengage MJC, you have to access it and turn it off (even if it's already off).  It's an easy workaround, but still a minor annoyance. 

24p 96Hz works as well as on my old Sammy 51E550, which means it's still very good.   

Users looking for smooth, judder-free motion at 24p 96Hz will be disappointed, since judder is still present.  However, judder is supposed to be present on 24p 96Hz, but it's the "good judder" found on real 24fps film.  So if you know how triple-shuttter 24fps film is supposed to look like, I assure you that you'll be happy with 24p 96Hz on this unit.

Color & Sharpness

No problems with color and tint on this unit.   

Samsung plasmas have traditionally been better than Panasonic plasmas as regards color accuracy, so you can be sure that color is already excellent out of the box.  Blacks are neutral --- none of the reddish black levels usually complained about on Kuros. 

What is astounding about this TV is the sharpness.  I've always liked a tack-sharp picture, but I'm also sensitive to the fake sharpness of edge enhancements.   

I normally set sharpness very high, a little higher than half the setting range, as sharp as possible without causing obvious edge enhancement.  But with this TV, a low sharpness setting gives you a true and natural clarity that convinces you that this panel was really built from the ground up rather than simply tweaked.

Conclusion

I'll post more comments after my break-in. 

From my experience, Sammy plasma looks better with age, initially looking a little too "digital," then later looking a bit more film-like.

For now, all I can say is that this is a cracking good TV.

Positives --- Brightness still can't come anywhere close to an LED TV's searing brightness, of course, but it's extremely bright for a plasma TV, without overblowing whites or crushing blacks.  Great performance in a bright or dark room; highest contrast ratio; outstanding sharpness; accurate colors out of the box; excellent motion cadence on 24p.     

Negatives --- The last Panny plasmas still had slightly better blacks; comes with only one hard-to-use smart bluetooth remote (no regular remote); comes loaded with so many features that I will never use; a bit less "film-like" than Panny plasmas; AR filter is too aggressive. 
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2014 at 09:08 PM by barrister »

Offline revskie

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Samsung F8500 Plasma (2013 & 2014)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2014 at 05:00 PM »
Congrats Attorney! How is the SmartTV function of the unit?

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2014 at 05:09 PM »
Did they ever release the 60in variant here?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2014 at 05:42 PM »
Congrats Attorney! How is the SmartTV function of the unit?

Salamat, bosing!

Better design than the older Samsung Smart Hub. 

But I never liked Smart functions on TVs.  Aliw lang sa umpisa, tapos wala na. :(

Did they ever release the 60in variant here?

AFAIK, 51 and 64 lang.

===================================

For those who have this model series, don't worry about firmware update glitches. 

Siyempre nakaka nerbiyos ang firmware flashing, baka ma-brick o magkaproblema ang picture.

May mga LED kasi sila in the past na nagkaroon ng defective firmware.  Pero ok naman ito. 
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2014 at 05:48 PM by barrister »

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM »
congrats sir ... really nice unit, the best of the last plasma models manufactured
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline noah727

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2014 at 01:21 PM »
Congrats! Where did you get and how much again? Thanks.

Offline noah727

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2014 at 01:23 PM »
Ok na, found the answer in another thread.

Paste ko lang dito, in case may similar query. :)

"Samsung plasma 51F8500, brand new, closed-box, 8 hours MRT.

P72,199 cash, COD, with free Samsung Blu-ray 3D HTiB, also new and closed-box.  Value of the free HTiB cannot be deducted from the price."

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2014 at 03:10 PM »
congrats sir ... really nice unit, the best of the last plasma models manufactured

Salamat bossing!

Congrats! Where did you get and how much again? Thanks.

Salamat brader!

Kumpletuhin ko na rin, para sa ibang readers:

Sa Anson's Makati ko nabili, yung pinakamalaking store nila, in front of Landmark.

Sabi ng clerk, may 2 closed-box brand new 51F8500 pa raw sila in stock in the store premises.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2014 at 10:34 AM by barrister »

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2014 at 08:21 AM »
Picture picture!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2014 at 10:32 AM »
Next week siguro sir, tapusin ko muna break in.

Ang observation ko sa IR, ang break-in sa TV na ito ay nakaka-improve ng IR.  Quick-onset IR ay pareho rin --- ganong kabilis din magkaroon ng IR.  Pero mas mabilis nang mawala yung IR ngayon.  Around 75 hours break in pa lang ako so far.

I'm presently trying to figure out the Cinema Smooth (24p, 96Hz) behavior before posting my findings.

Ganda sana ng motion cadence ng 96Hz, pero may minor bug pala.  Ang tunay na problem-free behavior ay yung low-tech 60Hz 2:3 pulldown, kung OK lang sa user ang telecine judder. 

Wala yatang perfect performance sa 24p and 23.976p, laging may minor issue.
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM by barrister »

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2014 at 03:04 PM »
How do you break it in?  Whitewash for extended periods?

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2014 at 03:11 PM »
Just run it normally on medium settings with no static image on screen.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2014 at 05:00 PM »
That's right.

White wash is not for breaking in, it's supposed to remove phosphor burn.  But in reality, it doesn't remove the burned portions, it just burns everything on-screen to make the burned areas less noticeable.  Not recommended for break-in purposes.

I think white wash is found on LG plasmas.  Samsung has the "scrolling" function which I think is a better idea.

I just use freeview aerial antenna GMA or ABS-CBN to make sure I'm tuned in to a reliable station.  Zoom to maximum to make sure all station logos are cropped out. 

Cable TV is unreliable, sometimes without signal.  OK lang kung white noise lang ang lilitaw, pero ang Samsung, may pop-up message na lumalabas pag walang signal.

All picture settings should be at midpoint or lower.  Too high and it's unsafe.  Too low is safer, but you will need a longer break-in period.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2014 at 02:33 PM by barrister »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 10:50 AM »
How many hours are you doing the break in, btw? I only did 100 hours. Nainip na ko, eh, hehe.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 01:33 PM »
100 hours din sir.

Wala namang definite hours for break-in.  Arbitrary figure lang ang 100 hours minimum.  Parang naging concession lang ng mga plasma enthusiasts, without any scientific basis.

Hindi na nga required ang break-in for plasmas since around 2008.  Recommended lang.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2014 at 01:37 PM by barrister »

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 01:58 PM »
Hows the audio quality, brod?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 02:21 PM »
Audio quality is good, for a flat panel. 

In other words, it's still awful.   ;D   

But good enough, given the limitations of speaker size, enclosure size and downfiring position.  It's loud, distortion-free, and clear enough.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2014 at 02:22 PM by barrister »

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2014 at 11:04 PM »
congrats sir! its a very nice unit :)  Have you heard of DNice slides. I used that in breaking in my vt60, so far kahit matagal na may static images hindi ko naging problema ang burn in images, i run it for 4 straight days.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM »
I've heard of D-Nice slides, but I haven't seen it yet.

Maganda nga siguro yon sir.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014 at 10:33 AM by barrister »

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2014 at 01:14 PM »
Wow congrats!
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 02:42 PM »
Wow congrats!

Salamat brader!

Picture picture!

Tapos na break-in ko sir.  Eto konting pics:

If not wall-mounted, the user will need a table-top wide enough to accommodate the width of the stand.

Samsung calls the frame and stand design the One Body Form, supposedly "created from a single piece of metal" --- NOT!  :D 

It's true that the stand is metal - it's anodized aluminum.  However, the TV frame is just plastic, although with a nice brushed finish that looks like anodized aluminum.  Which is why there's a noticeable color difference between the two materials. 

I didn't like the stand design in pictures, but surprisingly, it actually looks good in person.  I like it way better than the chicken feet stand, that's for sure.

My bias lighting setup since 2006 --- bulb on a socket with built-in switch, attached to the back panel with a small 3M Command Hook.  Formerly a night light 3-Watt CCFL bulb, now a 1-Watt LED bulb.  No bias light setup can be simpler.

Don Vito ...  :D

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2014 at 05:11 PM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 04:42 PM »
simply gorgeous....i wonder whats with the bulb or led at the back of the F8500? does it improve the PQ more?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 05:03 PM »
Thanks!

...i wonder whats with the bulb or led at the back of the F8500? does it improve the PQ more?

Well, yes and no. 

The bias light does not give you a true picture improvement.  However, it does give you the perception of a better picture.

The primary purpose of bias lighting is reduction of eye strain in a dark room.  During dark scenes, the positive side-effect is the perception of deeper black levels, by providing some surrounding brightness that contrasts with the dark picture on-screen.

We have an old and long thread about it here: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,72590.210.html

Here's one of my posts on that thread:

I disagree with the Philips Ambilight concept of backlighting. The bias light should be constant, not automatically adjusting; and pure white, not multi-colored.

The purpose of bias lighting is to reduce eye stran. Eye pupils dilate and contstrict depending on the levels of light. When viewing TV in a dark room, the eye has to go from a bright spot in the center of vision (bright scene), to pitch black (dark scene), and the pupils adjust accordingly. Eventually, the eye muscles become fatigued, causing eye strain and headaches.

The solution is a constant bias light behind the display, so that the light fluctuation in a dark room is kept to a minimum. As a result, the pupils do not dilate too much even during dark scenes, because the bias light provides the additional lighting that will prevent the pupils from dilating in the extreme.

An ideal bias light should be a pure white light, so as not to affect the purity of the colors on a calibrated monitor. The idea is to present a neutral color, which can be achieved by using a bulb with a color temperature of 6500K, more or less. The color of the wall behind the screen should also be neutral (white or a neutral gray), so as not to affect the 6500K color temperature of the light cast on the back wall.

As for the brightness of the bias light, the usual recommendation is 5-10% of the total light output of the display. Similarly, the SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers) recommends a backlighting of less than 10% of the peak white output of the display.

If you like the Philips Ambilight concept because it looks cool, then that's fine. But if you're interested in calibrated color accuracy, then you should look elsewhere.

(Ideal-Lume is the industry standard: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm)

I'm not too interested in Ideal-Lume, since I don't have a neutral-colored wall behind my TV anyway.  So I'm happy with my cheap solution.

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2014 at 05:05 PM by barrister »

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 06:49 PM »
Nakanamboogie!  Ang sexy!

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 07:36 PM »
Sir Barrister,
Nabenta mo na yung 51e550 model ninyo or are you still using it? :) Did you compare it side by side?
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 08:36 PM »
Thanks atty. that's a very informative idea. I will try that one too. I don't know about me but the TV commands attention when it's off the screen is so jet black. One time my folks come visit me and they wonder why the TV panel is so pitch black? lol, I really love this TV no regrets at all actually i was grounded for obtaining this wonderful TV hangang ngayon galit parin si misis. hehehehe...

Offline revskie

• Collector
  • HD Junkie
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM »
Skooter, when and where did you get yours?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM »
Oo nga naman.  Bakit tahimik yung ibang F8500 owners? 

Sir Skooter, kuwentuhan tayo tungkol sa bugs ng TV na to.   Unless ayaw mong malaman yung mga bugs...  :D   Ako kasi, mas interesado ako sa mga depekto  :P ;D .

Nakanamboogie!  Ang sexy!

Salamat, kapatid!

Sir Barrister,
Nabenta mo na yung 51e550 model ninyo or are you still using it? :) Did you compare it side by side?

Nabenta na sir.

No side-by-side comparison, wala kasi akong space.

Pero sa akin, maganda rin ang series 5 Sammy plasmas.

Pangit ang series 4, kasi 720p na maliliit ang pixels, kitang-kita ko ang interpixel spaces.  Pero ang series 5, 1080p na, walang problema sa vertical stripes and dimness.  Maganda ang series 5 na E (2012), and F (2013); siguradong maganda rin ang H (2014).

Kaya nga ang haba na ng thread ng 51F5000, the most popular plasma these days.

Ito ang mga napansin ko sa 51E550, compared with 51F8500:

- E550, may green blob, pero slight lang naman.  Mapapansin nang konti sa snow and desert scenes like Seven Years in Tibet and Lawrence of Arabia.

- E550, may konting posterization, pero konting-konti lang, much better than Panasonic.  Happy na nga ako, kasi nasanay na ako sa Panny posterization.  Pero sa F8500, pag nakakita ako ng posterization, siguradong grabe na ang posterization sa source material.  Yan ang nakita ko sa The Illusionist --- malala na talaga ang posterization sa source material niyan, pero halos walang posterization pag pinanood mo sa F8500.

- E550 has lighter black levels than F8500, as expected.  But for me, E550 black levels are good enough.  Ang reference ko kasi ay movie theater picture.  Hindi naman maitim ang black levels sa sinehan, talong talo pa nga ng kahit mga low-end plasma TV.  Kaya ok na sa akin ang E550 black levels.  AFAIK, F5500 has double the black level darkness of the E550.  Kung pareho lang ang plasma panel ng F5500 sa F5000, e di ayos na ayos ang F5000.

I don't know about me but the TV commands attention when it's off the screen is so jet black. One time my folks come visit me and they wonder why the TV panel is so pitch black?

The screen really is very dark when the TV is off. 

When your guests ask why the screen is so black, tell them it's just the filter film attached to the front glass  ;) .

lol, I really love this TV no regrets at all actually i was grounded for obtaining this wonderful TV hangang ngayon galit parin si misis. hehehehe...

:D

No regrets nga talaga... Sabihin mo ke misis, sulit yan, kasi it's the best TV in the world lang naman, discounted prices pa. 

Next year, wala ka nang makukuhang bago niyan, kung hindi display model, returned open-box na.

Thanks atty. that's a very informative idea.

The only 1-Watt LED bulb available around 2 years ago was the Philips DecoLED.  Walang kuwenta, ang mahal pa --- P325.  Typical LED color pa --- yun bang ang white ay grayish-bluish. 

Makikita mo ang ganong color sa white LED christmas lights and white areas of LED signages in the malls.

Internal filter lang naman ang kailangan para maging white ang LED bulb, hindi pa nila magawa.  LED backlight nga ng TVs and PC monitors, walang problema sa color.  Ito naman, bumbilya na lang nga, panis pa  :P .

Ngayon, meron nang Akari (local brand, China OEM siguro).  Last month, I bought an Akari 1-Watt LED bulb (Akari ALED-GL1DL-F), mas maganda ang color, closer to 6500K temp (slightly yellowish rather than gray-blue).  Mura lang.  Sa True Value, P199.75, buy one take one pa. 
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM by barrister »

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM »
atty. basta ang pinaka puti na liwanag yung ang the best to picked? kasi can't tell visually if its luminance or color temp. is near 6500k.

Offline skooter

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2014 at 10:22 PM »
Skooter, when and where did you get yours?

sa samsung concept store sa cebu sir, for 85k comes with a HTIB na sammy din but i sold it out. bought last year november.