Author Topic: Best projector for around 50k - BenQ W1070 vs. Acer H6510BD vs. Epson TW5200 ???  (Read 18854 times)

Offline DPT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
That's what it takes to burn that bright. Eco is still bright enough for most people (4000 ANSI lumens).

It would be too bright for a dark room.

Even on ECO mode. which is around 3000lm it would still be too bright and not comfortable to the eyes. Unless the imaze size is 120 to 150 inches.

But to view that comfortably. You  have to be  12 to 15 feet away.

Unless  you  lots of free space in your home. Or a dedicated HT room.  It is not practical
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2016 at 02:49 PM by DPT »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
It would be too bright for a dark room.

Even on ECO mode. which is around 3000lm it would still be too bright and not comfortable to the eyes. Unless the imaze size is 120 to 150 inches.

But to view that comfortably. You  have to be  12 to 15 feet away.

Unless  you  lots of free space in your home. Or a dedicated HT room.  It is not practical

A 108 inch diagonal 16:9 screen will have about 35 square feet of viewable area. 3000 lm will yield about 86 lm per sq ft. With a screen gain of 1.0, it should result in a similar number in foot-lamberts. That is just right for an indoor room with controlled lighting (70 foot-lambert minimum as per SMPTE). 86 foot-lamberts is less than 300 nits and is less intense than most TV sets. UHD Premium sets hit at least 1000 nits (minimum spec).
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2016 at 04:13 PM by Stagea »

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
A 108 inch diagonal 16:9 screen will have about 35 square feet of viewable area. 3000 lm will yield about 86 lm per sq ft. With a screen gain of 1.0, it should result in a similar number in foot-lamberts. That is just right for an indoor room with controlled lighting (70 foot-lambert minimum as per SMPTE). 86 foot-lamberts is less than 300 nits and is less intense than most TV sets. UHD Premium sets hit at least 1000 nits (minimum spec).

You can have a lesser lumen projector if you control the light bleeding out from the projector lens.

Imagine that the only light that comes out of your projector is exactly the square image on the projector screen and not lighting up the whole room.

You do not need 3000lm if you control the bleeding light from the projector.

In my case since i controlled the bleeding light from the projector.  The only light i see is the one that is on the projector screen.

Unless you want to light up the whole room and deal with reflected light from other surfaces which interferes with your image brightness on the projector screen. Then i guess you really need a bright projector
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2016 at 05:02 PM by DPT »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 602
Dark walls, little or no room lighting, an ambient light rejecting screen, and/or a high gain screen will definitely reduce the output requirement from a projector.

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
Dark walls, little or no room lighting, an ambient light rejecting screen, and/or a high gain screen will definitely reduce the output requirement from a projector.

Those are better investment than a high lumen/short life lens PJ

A simple hack  can be made at almost 0 cost.  Cartoon with a rectangular hole big enough for the rectangular image within the conical  path of the light in front of the projector lens is enough.

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2016 at 11:45 PM by DPT »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291

You can have a lesser lumen projector if you control the light bleeding out from the projector lens.

Imagine that the only light that comes out of your projector is exactly the square image on the projector screen and not lighting up the whole room.

You do not need 3000lm if you control the bleeding light from the projector.

In my case since i controlled the bleeding light from the projector.  The only light i see is the one that is on the projector screen.

Unless you want to light up the whole room and deal with reflected light from other surfaces which interferes with your image brightness on the projector screen. Then i guess you really need a bright projector

That was what I idea before I upgraded to a 3,000 lumens projector. unfortunately, iba talaga ang 2,500-3,000 lumens vs 1,500 lumens or lower PJ. And mind you, a 3,000 lumens PJ with ambient light is also not that good. it's not simply about the bleeding light. It also has something to din with the reflected light of the screen.

HOWEVER, as master Tony likes to say, "kung saan ka masaya, suportahan taka". If you are satisfied with your PJ, congrats sir!

Offline DPT

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
That was what I idea before I upgraded to a 3,000 lumens projector. unfortunately, iba talaga ang 2,500-3,000 lumens vs 1,500 lumens or lower PJ. And mind you, a 3,000 lumens PJ with ambient light is also not that good. it's not simply about the bleeding light. It also has something to din with the reflected light of the screen.

HOWEVER, as master Tony likes to say, "kung saan ka masaya, suportahan taka". If you are satisfied with your PJ, congrats sir!

3000 lumns vs 1500 lumens iba talaga. But you have to consider room size, distance/image size in the absence of outside light.

3000 vs 1500 lumens is not much difference if the image is small we all know that. 

But the projector we are thinking about is a 5000lumen/Short life projector vs 3000 lumens longer life PJ.

In general you really do not need 3000 lumens. Unless it is  120ish up image size.

Much more a 5000 lumen PJ.

I have a 300 lumen, 800 lumen and a 3000 lumen PJ.

Try watching a movie with a scene in a sunny bright day with  white snow background  in a 3000 Lumen PJ in a dark/controlled room 100 inch image size.

I want to know if you can stare/look at it for a  few seconds