Author Topic: Terminologies  (Read 7846 times)

Offline pTrader

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Terminologies
« on: Sep 03, 2014 at 06:43 PM »
There are terminologies like "warm", "imaging", "sound stage" and etc.

What are those.. kindly enlighten..

thanks..

Offline louie1

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Terminologies
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2014 at 06:59 PM »
http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?topic=11369.0;wap2
Pls check above link..or try mr. Google.. O0

Offline tube54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2014 at 12:54 PM »
The best glossary of sound is the one defined by J. G. Holt of Stereophile

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2014 at 06:47 PM »
Warm, locally, people use this to describe music with subdued highs. It's the opposite of bright but in a positive way. How this is used depends on the person talking. Some use it to describe music they like. Others use it to describe a system that is lacking in detail.

Imaging, is the virtual band and singer you seem to "see" or imagine to exist in front of you. This 3D effect is easier to experience in systems that have high resolution, correct tonal balance, and sound focus. When you hear an excellent system, you know where the band pieces are. You can feel the presence.

Sound stage, is the virtual space occupied by the band you "see" in a high resolution system. It can be identified to in low res systems but less 3D effect. The sound stage is defined by left and right borders where you can hear sound, front and back borders. In truly excellent rooms, you can define the height of the stage.

The best way to appreciate these terms is to educate your ears. Listen live acoustic performances. Listen in known excellent home audio systems. The more you go around, the more you get an idea of what sounds good and if you prefer, real.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2014 at 06:52 PM by Gino »

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7153
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2014 at 07:46 PM »
pilyo posted a nice chart in one of his threads, just search them out....

edit: found it... ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2014 at 01:51 PM by tony »
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM »
how do you describe the Well Bodied and Textured?

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM »
Those are basically describing realistic details of a percussive impact. Example kick drum. Body will be viceral impact, completeness of midbass and low extension. Texture will be nuances of the tautness of the leather skin (humuhuni iyan) and hammer pad, ringing of the metal rigging, etc. All producing presence and image localization.

Best way to know what these mean is to educate your ears with proper live performances and well implemented audio systems.

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 11:53 AM »
I agree with what Gino said,...however, in the original post it should have said "Full Bodied" not well bodied, which means rich and very satisfying sounding.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM by tube54 »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM »
I only have a yamaha natural sound 2.01 amp, wharf 9.1 and tannoy mr speakers and philips dvd player.. how may I able to detect those variances in sounds?

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM »
or to acheive "the just right" as describe in the chart above with my current set-up?

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM »
Compare with a system known to be great. Only your ears can evaluate music.

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM »
pTrader...Here's the secret, if it sounds very satisfying and musical to you, that's all that really matters...

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 03:53 PM »
pTrader...Here's the secret, if it sounds very satisfying and musical to you, that's all that really matters...

+100000...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 06:19 PM »
thanks for all your inputs.. appreciated..

Would like to ask also, from the chart, bass is bass for me but what is the Bass Deep and the Mid-Bass Powerful?

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2014 at 08:13 PM »
you don't really know what a particular track holds until you listen to it....

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 05:17 AM »
thanks for all your inputs.. appreciated..

Would like to ask also, from the chart, bass is bass for me but what is the Bass Deep and the Mid-Bass Powerful?

There is no clear cut answer to this kind of question as the answer itself hinges on the equipment that you own. There are so many factors involved when assembling a system that can reproduce the full frequency in the audio spectrum. Here’s an irony that I would like to share with you… I once asked an audiophile friend about his secret of assembling an excellent full range system… he told me…” there is no secret as I just poured more money into it".

« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014 at 07:53 AM by tube54 »

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 07:04 AM »
you are a cool dude tubes54..... 8) ;)

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 08:22 AM »

Tony,

Speaking of which, here’s my Totem Shaman speakers specifications. As you can see from the specs these speakers do have the capability of reproducing the full audio frequency spectrum flat out at around 20Hz-20kHz, assuming that you are powering them with a robust power amp, which has a very stable power supply that can withstand any punishing loads all the way down to 1 ohm impedance.

Specification:
Frequency response: 16 Hz to 22 kHz ±2 dB with proper placement
Impedance: 4 ohms (3 ohms minimum, 12 ohms maximum)
Sensitivity: 86 dB/W/m
Power: 200 W (continuous) 300 W (maximum short term)
Crossover points: 220 Hz, 1.2 kHz, 4 kHz, 15 kHz
Sub-bass tuning: 15 Hz
Recommended amplifier power: 100-250 W solid state, 70-300 W tube
Maximum SPL from the pair: 108-110 dB at 3 meters
Sub to bass mid: 1st order/1st order
Bass mid to mid: 2nd order/2nd order (no capacitor in mids signal path)
Mid to tweeter: 2nd order/2nd order
Tweeter, to super tweeter: 1st order/lst order

NOTE: (1st order yields 6 dB/octave; 2nd order yields 12 dB/octave)

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM »
yes, any amp specced to 1 ohm loads is a very capable amp in my book.....

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 06:44 PM »
"Just right"  means flat response from the system from 20hz to 20Khz. To achieved this takes loads and loads of money :)   Looking at your system, the weakest point would be the lower registers, I would start looking at adding a powered subwoofer to address that weakness. Try to demo a sub in a store using your speakers or something similar like the Wharfdale 10.1 and you should see the difference when a system has a respectfull bass response.

or to acheive "the just right" as describe in the chart above with my current set-up?
[/quote

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 07:05 PM »
"Just right"  means flat response from the system from 20hz to 20Khz.

lot's of factors, not just the speakers or amps, even listening room has a say.... ;)

and a flat response can only be confirmed by using a "pink noise generator" and RTA analyzer...

listening alone does not cut it... >:D

me kilala akong audiophile na bago magpatugtog, nag sasagawa ng tuning ups using his own dedicated
equipment for doing such....after that, he can judge the cd recording as okey or not okey ;)

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 08:01 PM »
True, kaya I said "system" 

CD as okey or not okey,  well technicall the CD or the recording can not make a mistake, although may mga pangit na "mix" , pero wala na tayong  magagawa doon. hehehe

lot's of factors, not just the speakers or amps, even listening room has a say.... ;)

me kilala akong audiophile na bago magpatugtog, nag sasagawa ng tuning ups using his own dedicated
equipment for doing such....after that, he can judge the cd recording as okey or not okey

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 08:08 PM »
True, kaya I said "system" 

CD as okey or not okey,  well technicall the CD or the recording can not make a mistake, although may mga pangit na "mix" , pero wala na tayong  magagawa doon. hehehe

yes and you can only go to that stage when your "system" is tuned properly.....

in a properly tuned system, all you need worry about is if the recording is good or no good...

Offline darkangel69

• Collector
  • | this guy is a music lover |
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM »
Here’s an irony that I would like to share with you… I once asked an audiophile friend about his secret of assembling an excellent full range system… he told me…” there is no secret as I just poured more money into it".

Never forget that we should enjoy listening to the music, not with the gears especially the ones that costs an arm and a leg.
--*--AM JUST A MUSIC LOVER--*--

Offline darkangel69

• Collector
  • | this guy is a music lover |
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 10:07 PM »
yes and you can only go to that stage when your "system" is tuned properly.....

in a properly tuned system, all you need worry about is if the recording is good or no good...

Great speakers, careful placement and good home acoustics can do that sir Tony.
--*--AM JUST A MUSIC LOVER--*--

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM »
Why not ? Sayang naman yung speakers ni tube54 :)

Never forget that we should enjoy listening to the music, not with the gears especially the ones that costs an arm and a leg.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM by qguy »

Offline mak_mak

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2014 at 02:17 AM »
Somehow, i agree with this, but what if wifey/girlfriend ain't satisfied or doesn't find it musical?
Focal Kanta N*2
Naim NAP 300 DR
Primaluna Dialogue Premium PreAmp

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2014 at 02:53 AM »
"Just right"  means flat response from the system from 20hz to 20Khz. To achieved this takes loads and loads of money :)   Looking at your system, the weakest point would be the lower registers, I would start looking at adding a powered subwoofer to address that weakness. Try to demo a sub in a store using your speakers or something similar like the Wharfdale 10.1 and you should see the difference when a system has a respectfull bass response.
[/quote

Qguy,

Thanks for the comment. I did pair them with either Genesis Reference 900 or Velodyne ULD 15 powered subwoofers with 15” Dia. drivers in the past. Both subwoofers have the capability of plumbing the depths down to 16Hz, which didn’t really add much as the Totem Shaman speakers can go down as low as 16 Hz all on its own with ease. You also have to realize that I’m driving them with Krell Evolution 402 power amp, which has a powerful stability and consistently all the way down to 1 ohm impedance at 3,200 watts/channel output with which contributed greatly to Totem Shaman’s excellent bottom end frequency response. Conclusively the bottom end response of these speakers is not the weakest link as it has the capability to literally flex the walls of my dedicated listening room or test the resolve of the foundation of my house, while listening to some organ music, Patricia Barber or any kinds of music that have very, very deep bottom end frequency.

However, in my dedicated HT room my LF and LR Theil CS 3.6 speakers do benefits from Genesis and Veldyne powered subwoofers as they’re only capable of 27Hz-22kHz+_3dB of frequency response.

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2014 at 02:57 AM by tube54 »

Offline dodie

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2014 at 02:55 AM »
Somehow, i agree with this, but what if wifey/girlfriend ain't satisfied or doesn't find it musical?

if the wifey is paying for it, then you have a problem.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
WCH CM U?

Offline BongerDude

• Collector
  • Gonna keep on tryin til I reach my highest ground
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2014 at 03:03 AM »
Qguy,

Thanks for the comment. I did pair them with either Genesis Reference 900 or Velodyne ULD 15 powered subwoofers with 15” Dia. drivers in the past. Both subwoofers have the capability of plumbing the depths down to 16Hz, which didn’t really add much as the Totem Shaman speakers can go down as low as 16 Hz all on its own with ease. You also have to realize that I’m driving them with Krell Evolution 402 power amp, which has a powerful stability and consistently all the way down to 1 ohm impedance at 3,200 watts/channel output with which contributed greatly to Totem Shaman’s excellent bottom end frequency response. Conclusively the bottom end response of these speakers is not the weakest link as it has the capability to literally flex the walls of my dedicated listening room or test the resolve of the foundation of my house, while listening to some organ music, Patricia Barber or any kinds of music that have very, very deep bottom end frequency.

However, in my dedicated HT room my LF and LR Theil CS 3.6 speakers do benefits from Genesis and Veldyne powered subwoofers as they’re only capable of 27Hz-22kHz+_3dB of frequency response.

Sir tube54, i believe qguy was referring to ptrader's setup... not yours :)

Awesome setup btw!
Technics SL1200 mk2
Macbook Pro
Schiit Bifrost UberUSBgen2
JDLabs Aikido
JDLabs Monos
PSB Image B6