Author Topic: My 2-channel set-up  (Read 19485 times)

Offline tube54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My 2-channel set-up
« Reply #60 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 01:02 AM »
Very nice Sir, Summit-Fi Gears!  :o

For the price of the 2 carats diamond or diamonds, I'll just buy it another piece of KRELL equipment  ;D

Yeah!...and then what?...you still need a diversion as one Krell Evolution equipment does cost more than the 3 carats diamonds.

Trust me, I've been there and done that. BTW, the wife just asked me prior to leaving for Las Vegas for a week of R & R with her friends, if she can wear the ring. I said to her… absolutely not! Y’know, I have an excellent reason for saying no…I mean, what if she lost it (heaven’s forbid)…there'll be no more diversion ,nada, zilch for her that I can use...I'm afraid that I’ll be really screwed. 
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014 at 03:36 AM by tube54 »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #61 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 09:16 AM »
Wow!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #62 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 09:32 AM »
Yeah!...and then what?...you still need a diversion as one Krell Evolution equipment does cost more than the 3 carats diamonds.

Trust me, I've been there and done that. BTW, the wife just asked me prior to leaving for Las Vegas for a week of R & R with her friends, if she can wear the ring. I said to her… absolutely not! Y’know, I have an excellent reason for saying no…I mean, what if she lost it (heaven’s forbid)…there'll be no more diversion ,nada, zilch for her that I can use...I'm afraid that I’ll be really screwed. 

Hehe, I would still GO for the GEARS than jewelries for them. Anyways you really got a Top-Notch system there especially those rare TOTEMs Speakers. Sitting whole day probably in those comfy couch would not want us to get up  ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014 at 09:34 AM by at_sunset_blvd »
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 09:50 AM »
Wow!

Thanks Supes...A quick gander on your byline made me realize that you do have an excellent set-up as well.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM »
Thanks sir! Haven't had the time to update. Currently installing some acoustic treatment
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM »
Hehe, I would still GO for the GEARS than jewelries for them. Anyways you really got a Top-Notch system there especially those rare TOTEMs Speakers. Sitting whole day probably in those comfy couch would not want us to get up  ;)

The Totem Shaman are very rare indeed as they didn't make very many of them due to the lack of customer demand. I've heard that they didn't make any money on them either as the potential customers were befuddled by the commanding high price of the Shaman compared to their other models, which sell for 1/3 of its price. Shaman was the main face of the company for 4 years it existed to show the world that they are capable of designing and building a state of the art speakers system.

Anyway, enough about my system…what about yours? BTW, I don’t have a couch in my listening room, I have 3 listening chairs…

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 10:19 AM »
Thanks sir! Haven't had the time to update. Currently installing some acoustic treatment

So just y'know...my first high end turntable was Lenco L75 that my friend gave me as payment from the money that he owed me. I really enjoyed that table until I moved up north to work for a mining company, I left all my equipment to my girlfriend as a parting gift knowing that I won't be coming back to get it.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM »
So just y'know...my first high end turntable was Lenco L75 that my friend gave me as payment from the money that he owed me. I really enjoyed that table until I moved up north to work for a mining company, I left all my equipment to my girlfriend as a parting gift knowing that I won't be coming back to get it.

Nice!

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM »
Anyway, enough about my system…what about yours? BTW, I don’t have a couch in my listening room, I have 3 listening chairs…

Luma na Sir, since 1993 pa Gears ko after I got out of college, no major upgrade or whatsoever but just a little bit of tinkering here & there over the years :)

Just this year I started to put a small set-up in my bedroom an all TUBE system (my 1st experienced w/ TUBES) its mostly not the high end stuff but still it could bore a hole through my pocket (not my wallet coz I have none :D) w/ Tube rolling addiction  >:D

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM »
Luma na Sir, since 1993 pa Gears ko after I got out of college, no major upgrade or whatsoever but just a little bit of tinkering here & there over the years :)

Just this year I started to put a small set-up in my bedroom an all TUBE system (my 1st experienced w/ TUBES) its mostly not the high end stuff but still it could bore a hole through my pocket (not my wallet coz I have none :D) w/ Tube rolling addiction  >:D

Tube rolling eh. Which tube amp design that you have SET or Push Pull? And which power tubes are you using 6550, KT88, 6L6, KT90 or KT120? BTW, I was on a tube camp for a very long time before switching to SS design. Just a suggestion, the new manufactured tubes now a days especially the ones from Russia and the select few from China are just as good as the NOS ones, but, they are more prone to failure due to lack of quality control. It's best to find a dealership that you can trust and stick with them for warranty purposes as opposed to buying them from people that you don't know, which carries no warranty on the tubes.

In any case, both design topology do have their own strength and weaknesses, it just a matter of how they're being executed.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014 at 02:09 PM by tube54 »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #70 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 04:56 PM »
dts-HD 3D,

The TNT motor has two spindles, the top one is used for 33 1/3 RPM speed and the lower spindle, which has a slightly larger diameter is used for the 45 RPM speed. I use the VPI PLC System to power and maintain the motor's constant speed at either 45 RPM or 33 1/3 RPM.

The sound of this turntable is as natural as one can be that is devoid of any artifacts such as wow and flutter, according to the casual listener's observation who was listening to it about a week ago.
Nice! I failed to notice the PLC in your rack. I guess that has similar function w/ the new SDS VPI is offering.

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 05:35 PM »
Nice! I failed to notice the PLC in your rack. I guess that has similar function w/ the new SDS VPI is offering.

Yes and no...the VPI PLC unit is basically a power line conditioner that act as a voltage regulator to mitigate the voltage sag from the mains, whereas the SDS has all the functions of PLC plus the function to adjust the motor speed on either 45 RPM or 33 1/3 RPM from the unit itself without adjusting the belt from the motor.

BTW, when I had the ARC D-250 tube power amp, I was using it to drive my Martin Logan Monolith III, QuestZ and or the CLS speakers that I owned at that time. I missed the sound of Martin Logan speakers and speaking of which (no pun intended) I finally had the chance to audition their new and updated CLX Art speakers a couple of months ago. They were driven with Krell Foundation system and it sounded very impressive from where I sat.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014 at 05:58 PM by tube54 »

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #72 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 05:55 PM »
Ah I see, thanks.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Sep 17, 2014 at 07:55 PM »
Tube rolling eh. Which tube amp design that you have SET or Push Pull? And which power tubes are you using 6550, KT88, 6L6, KT90 or KT120? BTW, I was on a tube camp for a very long time before switching to SS design. Just a suggestion, the new manufactured tubes now a days especially the ones from Russia and the select few from China are just as good as the NOS ones, but, they are more prone to failure due to lack of quality control. It's best to find a dealership that you can trust and stick with them for warranty purposes as opposed to buying them from people that you don't know, which carries no warranty on the tubes.

In any case, both design topology do have their own strength and weaknesses, it just a matter of how they're being executed.

Push-Pull 6L6, Yes usually not so expensive Tube amps have pre-factory Chinese Tubes in them w/c I find Not-Very good quality (sometimes you think that the plastic surround holding the pins might melt  ;D) than the Russian made tubes. I'm still a NewBie on these stuff, still learning the ropes. Even the smallest things at the start could put a smile on me when I hear the warm tones on these stuff  :)

Offline nizmo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #74 on: Sep 18, 2014 at 12:13 AM »

It is a stress buster/reliever alright. This is the main reasons why I built my listening room so I have a place to go to relieve and rest my weary bones and mind after a very stressful day at work.

Listening to music is always been my fashion even when I was growing up in the Philippines. I remembered listening to Nat King Cole’s Unforgettable song at midnight on my father’s little battery operated radio, although it sounded tinny and full of distortion, but, still it amazes me to no end how Nat’s voice came through from the little tinny sounding speaker in a magic kind of way, which still resonated in my memory even today.

According to my friends who regularly listen to my system do agree, that my system has the uncanny ability to bring the musicians in the room as if they’re playing live in front of you with no reservation. One of them specifically said that he was having hallucinations while listening to Patricia Barber’s "Companion" cd...it is that good!.

indeed sir... that's the reason why audio manufacturers and recording companies do so much advancement in making music enjoyable and life-like.

i myself always rely on my audio system every time i get tired and worried coz listening can
make me think and sleep... that much needed sleep  ;D ;D
it is good to have an automatic turntable as before the music ends, i'm already dreaming and
always find myself getting up in the morning from my sofa.

Offline nizmo

• DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Sep 18, 2014 at 12:24 AM »
Push-Pull 6L6, Yes usually not so expensive Tube amps have pre-factory Chinese Tubes in them w/c I find Not-Very good quality (sometimes you think that the plastic surround holding the pins might melt  ;D) than the Russian made tubes. I'm still a NewBie on these stuff, still learning the ropes. Even the smallest things at the start could put a smile on me when I hear the warm tones on these stuff  :)

ah, i see, the reason why you patiently hunted for my ASL AV20  ;D
6L6gc and EL34 are my favorites eversince... welcome to the charming sound of tubes.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Sep 18, 2014 at 06:47 AM »
ah, i see, the reason why you patiently hunted for my ASL AV20  ;D
6L6gc and EL34 are my favorites eversince... welcome to the charming sound of tubes.

Ang bilis ng mata mo Father Jim, hehe. yes kapag nakuha ko sayo yung AV20 then wala na itong AV25 ko ngayon  ;D

Sorry for the OT.  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2014 at 06:48 AM by at_sunset_blvd »

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #77 on: Sep 18, 2014 at 07:55 AM »

yes, use them with careful attention to operating points....
the materials used to make tubes a long time ago are simply no longer available today....
most of the factory workers, engineers are probably no longer around today
carrying their know-how to the grave...
that is the reason NOS are much sought after today, also why they are so expensive...
imho, Russian Tubes are tops especially those that were made for the Russian military...
Russian quality inspection i have witnessed first hand working in Russia six years,
inspectors sign their names in quality reports that they call "acts" or protocols,
and you can not pressure them into signing those reports if they did not do inspections,
they said they can end up in jail if something went wrong...

yesterday after listening to my newly built 6550 pp amp, i changed the amp with a 6C33 SET,
and i thought there was something wrong as the SPL were entirely different that i had to
bring out my power monitors to see if the 6C33 changed operating points, it did not...
in a nutshell, pp is about power and set is about euphonics sounds.....;)
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline nizmo

• DVD Guru
  • i'm new here.
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Sep 18, 2014 at 02:39 PM »
Ang bilis ng mata mo Father Jim, hehe. yes kapag nakuha ko sayo yung AV20 then wala na itong AV25 ko ngayon  ;D

Sorry for the OT.  :)

don't worry bro... once my other tube amp is done then AV20 will be yours
but don't sell yours as you might use both for bi-amping your speakers...  ;D ;D ;D

indulgence sir tube54  ;)

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Sep 20, 2014 at 03:05 AM »
tony,

PP tube design is inherently more powerful than the SET design due to the fact that the designer can utilize the negative feedback to its own advantage, which will enable it to boost the overall power output. However, it can also be one of its design’s inherent drawback, because, if it’s not implemented properly it will introduce an odd order harmonic distortion to the overall sound quality.

Having said that, the best PP tube designs that I’ve owned in the past were the ones made by Audio Research as not only they mitigated the odd order harmonics, but, they also made it sounding natural while doing so. On the other end of the scale the Conrad Johnson and McIntosh also are excellent PP design but at the expense of sounding a little tubey for my taste.

Furthermore, I would agree with you that NOS tubes are more sought after these days, but only for its collectability value more so than for its sound quality as I've found out that the newer manufactured tubes sounded just as good. Case in point, I did compare the Sylvania 6550 NOS tubes against the SED Winged “C” 6550, they sounded alike to my ears in terms of midrange and high frequency response, however, I would give the SED tubes the nudge on its bottom end frequency response where it was more tighter and well textured sounding.

But in any case, at the end of the day it’s all about a matter of preference…
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2014 at 01:19 AM by tube54 »

Offline redstarrising

• DVD Addict
  • Paikot ikot lang...ng LP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #80 on: Sep 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM »
wow!!! ang ganda ng mga gamit mo tube54, nakakatulo ng laway  :) ;), ayos na ayos yan sa retiring career mo :D ;), we are on the same career path oil & gas and petrochem. I had my former company Jacobs in Sg long time ago but never have a chance to be there in Calgary  :)
ST70, DIY Tube Preamp, DIY FR Visaton B200, DIY Lenco L75, Lehman Black Cube, DIY Cinemags SUT

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Sep 21, 2014 at 01:53 AM »
wow!!! ang ganda ng mga gamit mo tube54, nakakatulo ng laway  :) ;), ayos na ayos yan sa retiring career mo :D ;), we are on the same career path oil & gas and petrochem. I had my former company Jacobs in Sg long time ago but never have a chance to be there in Calgary  :)

Thanks... Here's the close-up photo of my Nakamichi RX-505 cassette deck. If you have a chance to visit Calgary...just ping me and I'll be glad to hang out with you.

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2014 at 02:50 AM by tube54 »

Offline sovrain

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #82 on: Sep 21, 2014 at 06:04 AM »
Ganda naman....
Marantz SR5005/PM90/SA8260
Mission Mx5/C2/1/S
Klipsch RW12D
TEAC UD-HO1|Trio TT|Asus O'play|MED1000X

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Sep 25, 2014 at 07:16 AM »

Here's the photo of my Philips AH 673 AM/FM tuner hard at work. I'm very fortunate to live in an area that has an elevation of 1000 m. ASL in Alberta where I don't need a tall antennae to receive the loud and clear signal from my favorite AM/FM station, which is 300 Km. away.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
« Reply #84 on: Sep 25, 2014 at 07:59 AM »
But in any case, at the end of the day it’s all about a matter of preference…

indeed....and to those asking me for advice, i tell then, pick the ones  that make your ears happy and your wallet too...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline IsoMetrix

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #85 on: Sep 25, 2014 at 03:06 PM »
I retired this year from an oil and gas company that I have worked for over 30 years.

I'm Just curious, may I know what oil and gas company that you had worked for, Sir.

I had also worked in the oil and gas sector, as an Exploration Geophysicist in an Oilfield Service Company (Schlumberger) in International Commuter status, until I retired early last year. Client oil companies that I had worked for include Shell, BP, TotalFinaElf, Talisman Energy, ExxonMobile, PetroCananda, Kerr McGee, BHP, Petronas, Japex, Carigali, Sonangol, Mitra Energy, DGH, Reliance,
StatOil.

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Sep 26, 2014 at 01:09 AM »
IsoMetrix…

Please Ping me and I’ll tell you all about it. You can find my contact e-mail by clicking my moniker. Great resume, by the way, although, I must say that I have collaborated or worked  with some of the people that were employed by the companies that you have mentioned above during my working years in exploration and development of the natural gas, conventional and oil sands reserves in Alberta.

Just wondering, where you ever in Canada during your employment with Schlumberger? I employed their services before with some of my projects, especially in northern part of Alberta.

Here’s a close-up photo of my trusty old SME IV tone arm…

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Dec 25, 2014 at 12:37 PM »

Maayong Pasko Sa Inyong Tanan!....

Offline tube54

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jan 01, 2015 at 03:39 AM »
maayong bag-ong tuig sa inyong tanan 2015....