Author Topic: Jerrold Tarog's Heneral Luna  (Read 43448 times)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Re: Jerrold Tarog's Heneral Luna
« Reply #30 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 05:21 PM »
Is it still available? planning to catch it over the weekend too.

Yes, still showing in a good number of cinemas.

BTW, students get 50% off ticket prices at SM, Ayala and Robinson's cinemas. They just need to present a valid school ID upon ticket purchase.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 05:23 PM by jas »

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1203
« Reply #31 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 05:57 PM »
Word of mouth and word of "mouse" is keeping this movie in the theaters.  I've heard the producer say that they did not do this for the sake of profit, but for the sake of Philippine cinema, I really hope they do make some money out of this.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7152
« Reply #32 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 06:37 PM »
^yes, so that they can continue making films of historical substance...
these are the kinds of films that we need in the film festivals...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Online Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 08:47 AM »
Word of mouth and word of "mouse" is keeping this movie in the theaters.  I've heard the producer say that they did not do this for the sake of profit, but for the sake of Philippine cinema, I really hope they do make some money out of this.
I'm part of an fb group with one of the producers. If this makes money, there will be a couple more films lined up. Tirad Pass is probably one of them.

Online Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 08:49 AM »
antonio cojuangco sr. (lolo sa tuhod ni tonyboy) - yan daw ang anak ni luna at ysidra
(then inampon na lang ni melicio, utol ni ysidra)

therefore, kung ndi naassasinate si Heneral Luna, walang PLDT, San Miguel, UCPB at hacienda...
Not true. This is an urban legend without any historical basis.

Offline tenderfender

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • DVD Addict
  • "vincere et docere" (to win and to teach)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM »
Not true. This is an urban legend without any historical basis.

magandang storyline kung merong Pinoy version ng National Treasure ni Nic Cage  ^-^
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions"

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 11:10 AM »
An Open Letter from the Producer of HENERAL LUNA (2015)

I am sharing this letter HENERAL LUNA‘s (2015) Executive Producer Fernando Ortigas and Screenwriter-Producer Eduardo A. Rocha, because I feel the need to make it known that there is still hope in our own cinema and in our lives. HENERAL LUNA is a film worth watching.

You can take my word for it.

This film is one reasons why I travel to Laguna once every week to teach Film. This is the reason why we try to make sense of the art that we see moving on the silver screen. This is the reason why we take time to dig and discover hidden treasures in stories and even in forgotten pasts.

In an era where movies are mostly made of romantic-sexual-mistress-filled plotlines, we are becoming a nation of filmgoers eager to see how  an Anne Curtis would throw lines that are as absurd as we are. But HENERAL LUNA brings back the hope of sensibility, of utter wonderment, the magic of cinema and the art of story telling.

Love yourself and catch this film. I dare you to be the Filipino that you are, and celebrate, not just our heroes, but also the magic that our own filmmakers can bring.

Embrace our art and our history. Learn, and then fight!

Mabuhay si Heneral Antonio Luna!
Mabuhay ang mga Manonood na Pilipino!
Mabuhay ang Pelikulang Pilipino!

Dear All,

This is simply to take this occasion, this profound moment in time, to thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for your patronage, for your support, especially to those who’ve been relentlessly plugging away on Facebook or via social media, or by text, or even in person to spread the word and promote our film to others.
We are very, very touched.

For all of us—the entire cast and crew and team behind HENERAL LUNA—this has been one of the most extraordinary experiences of our lives. To be honest, it is life changing. To constantly hear applause in different theaters at the end of the film, as the credits roll, is for us a reward that’s beyond our wildest dreams when we first ventured doing this film. Many of us ask ourselves, when was the last time we heard an audience applaud at the end of a film, Filipino or otherwise, in so many theaters? And to see your FB postings, Twitter and Instagram messages, collectively and individually (especially from those who’ve watched the film more than twice already in the first week alone) moves us so deeply, beyond any words can truly express. And there are those of us who suddenly heard from people we haven’t heard from in ages—long lost cousins, exes, former classmates or invisible FB friends who suddenly made themselves known and wanted to show their appreciation for our work, for this film. Indeed, the love that you’ve all shown us has made their way into our hearts, carving a mini-monument of sorts dedicated to the heroism of Heneral Luna and the heroes who’ve lived before us, and to those who continue to live in our midst today. This is something that will stay with us for as long as we live.

Which is perhaps why reality hurts even more. Earlier today, we’ve been advised that we will be losing more than half of our theaters—that from 101 screens, we will be down to somewhere close to 40. We know, on one hand, we should be lucky to even have those, thanks to our distributor, (and for that we’re truly grateful to all of you), but on the other hand, we’re saddened that this movie has to go away before many more of you can see it, before its full audience potential can be realized. Believe us please, when we say, that while it’s important for us that this movie recoups its investment and more, it is ultimately not about box-office, not about money.

When this movie’s initial draft was first written, it was not written at all with the thought of writing a commercial blockbuster. And when we cast the film, we merely wanted to cast the most brilliant actors who were perfect for their roles. It was not based on who’s the biggest box-office draw. And creative decisions that were made (by our genius director Jerrold Tarog) while making the film were not based on “kilig,” not on what would please the audience most, but based on what would be best for the film, artistically and narrative-wise.

Of course, the beautiful irony of it all is that, now, through some magic, we’ve been rewarded with a film that is pleasing its audiences to no end—with a film that’s entertaining, enlightening, and educational. While theaters may have pulled this movie out, we strongly believe that that this movie now has a life of its own. Yes, YOU all have given this film a life of its own. And while we may have made this movie about a slice of Philippine history, YOU now are all a part of history–our history.

So, as we say thank you once again, please keep the fires burning, please keep the spirit alive. If the film is no longer in your city, go directly to your local cinemas and ask the manager to bring it back or bring it to your movie house for the first time. Be the hero for your school, for your barangay, for your friends and family by being the one who called them or texted them and let it be known to them that this movie must play in your cinema because there are plenty of people who want to see it and must see it.

But we must not stop here. The bravado and vigilance that we all show must continue onwards in our daily lives, especially in time for next year’s election. If for nothing else, HENERAL LUNA has made you or any one person to stop and think and reflect on our nationhood’s future, then this movie would have already done its job, regardless of its final box-office gross. As one noted historian put it, “History is not meant to be memorized, but to be reflected and acted upon.”

It’s a “hugot” line that Heneral Luna himself might have been proud to say.

With our heartfelt thanks,

Fernando M. Ortigas, Executive Producer & E. A. Rocha, Screenwriter- Producer

Source

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 11:17 AM »
'Hindi ang mga banyaga ang mahigpit nating kalaban, ang ating mga sarile....."\
true even in todays' present setting....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline thebat

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2119
« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM »
I give it a 9.8 score.
Spolarium ang peg pala nila sa kulay cinematography ng movie. Excellent job. Hats of to the producers, director, cast and crew. Must watch for all PDVD members.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline jjjeronimo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1203
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 12:56 PM »

Which is perhaps why reality hurts even more. Earlier today, we’ve been advised that we will be losing more than half of our theaters—that from 101 screens, we will be down to somewhere close to 40. We know, on one hand, we should be lucky to even have those, thanks to our distributor, (and for that we’re truly grateful to all of you), but on the other hand, we’re saddened that this movie has to go away before many more of you can see it, before its full audience potential can be realized. Believe us please, when we say, that while it’s important for us that this movie recoups its investment and more, it is ultimately not about box-office, not about money.

Based on an update from the Heneral Luna FB page, it appears the number of cinemas showing this is now up to 78.  Great news!

Online Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 09:46 PM »
A friend of mine says the 730pm showing at SM North was full. And the crowd applauded after.

Offline mmanson

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #41 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 11:04 PM »
Saw this yesterday sa last full show. And yes everyone applauded after din. Galing! Watch it now guys!

Offline Ikiru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #42 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 01:03 PM »
Heart-breaking cinematic elegy to fallen patriots. And we still mourn because we are still our own worst enemy.

Offline pierretan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 05:54 PM »
Hi guys, are there any screenings in Singapore for this? We OFWs would want to see it too or maybe we can just wait for the DVD to come out.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 06:37 PM »
Heart-breaking cinematic elegy to fallen patriots. And we still mourn because we are still our own worst enemy.

what a waste indeed. it took an american army officer to say,"you killed your best general....."
fast forward 1983...we killed our best senator, Ninoy Aquino....what a waste....
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015 at 09:00 PM by tony »

Offline sirhc

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #45 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 07:03 PM »
An excellent social commentary in the guise of a history film. Nakakalungkot talaga na dito sa Pilipinas, no good deed goes un-punished.  >:(
Never stop learning.

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #46 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 08:10 PM »
Saw this yesterday at megamall 7pm screening.  I rarely watch local films in theaters even at home, but this one is different.  The message really hurts and I am really disappointed by aguinaldo and mabini.  Also, kudos to the lady at the back who talked some sense to the loud group, kasi ako na sana kakausap eh, just heard her tell them, get out or shut up.

Offline thebat

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2119
« Reply #47 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 08:28 PM »
One thing I liked about this movie is the casting. I like it that they didn't use any famous star personality e.g. Piolo Pascual, Derek Ramsey or Denis Trillo to play the lead role.

Btw, Yung role ni Mylene Dizon na Isabel. Sya pala yung Isidra Cojuangco. Iniba lang name to protect current admin's family :-(.
Yamaha AVR-S80
Panasonic VIERA TH50PV80H – 50″ PLASMA TV
WDTV
ROKU TV stick
Nextbase portable dvd

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #49 on: Sep 20, 2015 at 09:29 PM »
Ang ganda pero ang sakit sa dibdib!
Kudos to Jerrold Tarog! I first became a fan through his horror films (shake rattle and roll 12: Punerarya; SRR13: Parola; and SRR 15: Ulam) He also made Aswang (starring Lovi Poe)

Then I saw "Sana Dati" and I am not ashamed to say I teared up a little.

I then saw "Confessional" on cinema one and that was even more amazing!!!

Sana nga matuloy yung Del Pilar and Quezon movies!

Offline hekelef

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #50 on: Sep 21, 2015 at 08:29 AM »
Great film. People running for office next year should watch it and learn from it.

Offline disturbed

• DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #51 on: Sep 21, 2015 at 10:43 AM »
saw the show from cnn phil..breaks down the film and confirms what is fact and fiction..they said that the killing at the end was already toned down from what really happened..tsk tsk

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #52 on: Sep 21, 2015 at 10:48 PM »
This has been picked as our representative to the Best Foreign Language Film category at the Oscars.

Offline ti

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Team JuanClick
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #53 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 12:06 AM »
last full show kami kanina sa shangrila, less than 12 seats na lang available.

ngayon na lang ako napanood ng ganon kadami tao sa loob ngsinehan.

at medyo na guilty pa ako kasi crunchy yung fries ko,

samantalng halos lahat ng nakikita ko ay todo concentrate sa panonood.

" POVERTY deprives me of some unnecessary things in life. "

Online Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 01:56 AM »
This has been picked as our representative to the Best Foreign Language Film category at the Oscars.
That's a surprise for me. I don't think non-pinoys would have enough context to fully appreciate this film.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #55 on: Sep 22, 2015 at 01:20 PM »
^That's what I think as well.^

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #56 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 03:02 PM »
Watched this last night with the wifey sa SM Aura. Cinema was quite full. Excellent film :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline sirhc

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #57 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 03:09 PM »
Great to know that this film is actually picking up steam. Kudos to the producers and hope more and more is revealed to the message of the film.
Never stop learning.

Online Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 05:32 PM »
Random questions heard and seen on social media about the film:

1. True to life ba ito, kuya?
2. Bakit si Mabini lagi lang nakaupo?
3. Tatay ba ni Paulene si Heneral?
4.  ...

Feel free to continue...

Offline syoti

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #59 on: Sep 24, 2015 at 08:46 PM »
went to watch hotel transylvania 2 yesterday and to my surprise haba ng pila sa tickets.. majority were students lining up to watch Heneral Luna. nirequire siguro ng school manuod to make a movie report. samantalang nilalangaw ang mga upuan when i watch this on the first week. sana the students were there to watch on their own volition and not because thy were required to do so...