Author Topic: Magneplanar Loudspeaker  (Read 2177 times)

Offline amos1660

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Magneplanar Loudspeaker
« on: Oct 18, 2014 at 07:07 PM »
My dear friends in the community, may I solicit your expert advice and professional opinion regarding my Magneplanar speaker. The right channel lost its high range functionality, the mid and low ranges are still working. Prior to this the the high range or treble section was working but rattles or vibrates when it reached a certain tonal spectrum during play back. The right channel however is working perfectly well.

My concern is- is this type of speaker reparable? If so where and to whom can I bring my speaker for the repair.

I plan to sell the speakers if there are takers should it be validated that speaker cannot be repaired.

Your feed backs, insights, opinions will certainly be much appreciated.

Make : Magneplanar Loudspeaker Model : MG - .5/QR SN : 122860

Maraming salamat po!

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Re: Magneplanar Loudspeaker
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM »
Search for Peter Gunn in the internet.  He has done tweaks, repair and upgrades of Magnepan speakers.  Though he has not tried to modify or repair your speaker model, he might be able to help you.

Good luck!

JoeyGS (also a Magnepan fan here)

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM »
My dear friends in the community, may I solicit your expert advice and professional opinion regarding my Magneplanar speaker. The right channel lost its high range functionality, the mid and low ranges are still working. Prior to this the the high range or treble section was working but rattles or vibrates when it reached a certain tonal spectrum during play back. The right channel however is working perfectly well.

My concern is- is this type of speaker reparable? If so where and to whom can I bring my speaker for the repair.

I plan to sell the speakers if there are takers should it be validated that speaker cannot be repaired.

Your feed backs, insights, opinions will certainly be much appreciated.

Make : Magneplanar Loudspeaker Model : MG - .5/QR SN : 122860

Maraming salamat po!

Look for Manny Ongpauco nag re repair sya ng mga electrostats. Luma na kasi yun cell no na alam ko.

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM »
Here is a link for DIY repair instructions , if you are so inclined ..  If you do a search you will  find lots more...

http://www.opus45.com/magnepan/

Offline bb3

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM »
Could be a case of delamination - wires not coupled to the mylar.
It's a fairly easy fix. Mabusisi lang nga. You'll have to contend with a million staples just to get the sock off.
The key is the adhesive to glue the wires back to the mylar. You can order the glue directly from Magneplanar or check out other adhesives used by diyers on the net. Choose your own poison ika nga. Different degrees of success rates.
I dont know if it will be worth all the trouble for you.

Still if you can have it up and working, Maggies are still one of the great soundstagers, in my opinion.

Btw, Maggies are not electrostats.