Author Topic: Foam Surround Punctured  (Read 10379 times)

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Foam Surround Punctured
« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2014 at 11:41 PM »
Elmers should work. I'd tack or spot glue multiple times at the back rather than running a steady stream on the edges. Elmers is quite flexible. If you study the mechanica of the repair area. You won't be flexing the glued edges. The rubber around it will do the flexing. That is also why I revommend spot gluing as in maliit na drops at the back. I don't like a hlue line yo show in front.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 05:49 AM »
I make leather bags for cue stics, I use contact cements for sections where the leather needs to flex. 
I use Elmers glue/White Glue/PVA glue  when I need the leather to be stiff.

I have seen the hole and you need to join the edges where the screwdriver made the hole, basically you would be putting glue on the inside part of the surround which is difficult when using contact cement. 

I would try using contact cement but I would not let it dry and just simply bond the two surfaces while the glue is still wet

Suggestion : buy a new surround, puncture it and practice the suggestions posted by the members here

Anong brand at saan nakakabili niyan sinasabi mo flexible glue? Might come in handy even with fabrics.

Btw, have you tried using Elmer's glue? The all-purpose white glue really isn't that hard.

Have you even seen the intended application? ;D Wala naman two pieces to join there eh, it's just a small rip in the surround that needs patching up.  ;)

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7169
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 07:06 AM »
Suggestion : buy a new surround, puncture it and practice the suggestions posted by the members here

+1...surrounds are cheap to buy, experience, priceless...

also when mounting speakers, mark the holes using your speaker as template with a pencil,
then drill holes that are smaller in diameter than the screw you will be using...
that way you can screw down your speakers easily, use a motorized screwdriver if you can...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 07:56 AM »
+1...surrounds are cheap to buy, experience, priceless...

also when mounting speakers, mark the holes using your speaker as template with a pencil,
then drill holes that are smaller in diameter than the screw you will be using...
that way you can screw down your speakers easily, use a motorized screwdriver if you can...

Jan nga nadale ang surrounds ng speakers ko.  ;D

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 08:13 AM »
ako noong high school pa ako, yung sealed midrange driver, ginawa kong ported :).. I just sealed it with Scotch tape.

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 08:13 AM »
What is the advantage of using a motorized screwdriver ?

use a motorized screwdriver if you can...

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM »
What is the advantage of using a motorized screwdriver ?

hindi hirap yung kamay mo, medyo me katamaran ako eh....;)
depende rin kasi sa pulso mo, hindi ka dapat gigil sa pag twerka...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM »
Jan nga nadale ang surrounds ng speakers ko.  ;D

ikaw lang ba?  >:D ako rin ah, ako naman sa screw driver kaya payo ko motorized....
we all learn lesson from our mistakes, some mistakes are costly,
sometimes pride mo lang ang nawala...;)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #38 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 02:05 PM »
I make leather bags for cue stics, I use contact cements for sections where the leather needs to flex. 
I use Elmers glue/White Glue/PVA glue  when I need the leather to be stiff.

I have seen the hole and you need to join the edges where the screwdriver made the hole, basically you would be putting glue on the inside part of the surround which is difficult when using contact cement. 

I would try using contact cement but I would not let it dry and just simply bond the two surfaces while the glue is still wet

So ano yun flexible glue? Contact cement?

Anyway, the reason I suggested using a syringe to apply the glue, flexible glue, silicone, rice, etc is because it can go places where no man's finger can go and should offer a bit of control and precision in applying the glue.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 02:07 PM »
Ah wala kayo sa lolo ko... binrenahan muna niya ng maliit na pilot hole yun butas bago nilagay ang screw... >:D

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 02:15 PM »
Ah wala kayo sa lolo ko... binrenahan muna niya ng maliit na pilot hole yun butas bago nilagay ang screw... >:D

Mismo,..!
My dad thought me that,...
Great tip sir,..

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 02:37 PM »
Mismo,..!
My dad thought me that,...
Great tip sir,..

May center punch pa gamit ang lolo ko sir bago siya mag drill ng pilot hole. Para daw hindi "maglakad" yun drill bit. ;)

Paminsan-minsan mainam yun nakikinig sa mga matatanda, lolo mo man o hindi, tiyak may mapupulot ka. Iba na kasi ang mga kabataan ngayon eh, puro glue at rugby ang laman ng isip. >:D

Note: The rugby mentality I'm referring to is the common way of thinking in these lines... "Meron naman glue o rugby pandikit pag napunit". What's missing is they can actually avoid making the mistake of puncturing their work so they don't need the rugby anymore.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 02:43 PM »
Lubusin na natin...

Another thing I learned from observing how brand name manufacturers install their drivers is the use of hex or allen head hi-lo self-tapping screws like these...

Available at your suking To Suy. Works well with solidwood, plywood, particle board, and mdf boards. With a pre-drilled pilot hole, siguradong walang kabyos. ;)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #43 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 06:57 PM »
Gawa na ba?  I second the elmers glue suggestion. Don't forget to massage the torn portion back in place before dabbing glue at the underside. With a bit of skill (and luck) the tear could be untraceable after the repair. Recommend ko rin use T-nuts to install the driver lalo na kung tanggal-kabit while tuning the box.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2014 at 06:58 PM by markcrenz »
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 08:47 PM »
Yes, Contact cement is flexible

So ano yun flexible glue? Contact cement?

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 09:18 PM »
Contact cement is flexible but it darkens, dries up, and peels after a few months.

White glue or wood glue stays as is for years. Don't fuzz over white glue's stiffness,. The thin layer of repaired area is not required to flex. Gluing in small dots allows foam in between to flex. That is why I do not recommend a straight bead. No glue goes between the edges. Just tack it with spots at the back for support. All this will do is align the edges for cosmetics.

Offline qguy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM »
Depende sa contact cement, the ones I used are still intact after more than ten years.

Contact cement is flexible but it darkens, dries up, and peels after a few months.

White glue or wood glue stays as is for years. Don't fuzz over white glue's stiffness,. The thin layer of repaired area is not required to flex. Gluing in small dots allows foam in between to flex. That is why I do not recommend a straight bead. No glue goes between the edges. Just tack it with spots at the back for support. All this will do is align the edges for cosmetics.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Oct 29, 2014 at 10:33 PM »
Gawa na ba?  I second the elmers glue suggestion. Don't forget to massage the torn portion back in place before dabbing glue at the underside. With a bit of skill (and luck) the tear could be untraceable after the repair. Recommend ko rin use T-nuts to install the driver lalo na kung tanggal-kabit while tuning the box.

Don Mark, gusto ko yan massage brader... pero wag glue ha... >:D

Seriously, speaker diyer's friend ang T-nuts. Especially sa subwoofers naku napaka useful.

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #48 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 04:52 AM »

Ginagawa ko rin yan, una pilot hole guide ng pako then barena na maliit sa screw diameter, lalo na mid & tweeter drivers. Sa woofer kailangan through hole at T-nut ang lock. For safety at maiwasan ang aksidente, nakatakip ang cone while screwing... i mean tightening the screw.  >:D  >:D >:D

Dami na ng options for consideration... Mas Ok nga yung spot joint ng edges sa likod para hindi mag bleed yung glue sa front side.. At syempre massage muna para smooth pagsinalat... ;D

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2014 at 04:55 AM by audiojunkie »
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #49 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 06:19 AM »
Kitang kita ang mga OC at mga maseselan dito talaga ;)

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 06:36 AM »
kung sa akin yan, palit ang buong suround....mahirap kung patse patse ang trabaho....

Offline larokulit

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #51 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 06:59 AM »
Don Mark, gusto ko yan massage brader... pero wag glue ha... >:D

Seriously, speaker diyer's friend ang T-nuts. Especially sa subwoofers naku napaka useful.

+1 sa t-nut lalo ba pag MDF ang baffle -- ambilis lumuhhhwahhhg ang butas pag tanggal-kabit.
DIY fan...

Offline remington

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #52 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 08:41 AM »
Lubusin na natin...

Another thing I learned from observing how brand name manufacturers install their drivers is the use of hex or allen head hi-lo self-tapping screws like these...

Available at your suking To Suy. Works well with solidwood, plywood, particle board, and mdf boards. With a pre-drilled pilot hole, siguradong walang kabyos. ;)

saang To Suy kaya meron nito sir? ang tagal ko nang naghahanap nito wala ako makita pati sa mga bolts and nuts na tindahan. Meron sila hindi self tapping yung hindi matulis
tube + audio nirvana = beyond...

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 08:46 AM »
saang To Suy kaya meron nito sir? ang tagal ko nang naghahanap nito wala ako makita pati sa mga bolts and nuts na tindahan. Meron sila hindi self tapping yung hindi matulis

Sa Maynila po sir remington. Along Tomas Mapua kakabili ko lang last Tuesday ng Philips head. Along Recto meron din sir malaking To Suy doon na nabilhan ko na dati.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 08:52 AM »
Bought last Tuesday at bolts and nuts shops along Tomas Mapua corner Recto...

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #55 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 10:13 AM »
Brader sayang! Kailangan ko niyan!  Next time mapunta ka, idamay mo ako ha.

Bought last Tuesday at bolts and nuts shops along Tomas Mapua corner Recto...

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM by JoeyGS »

Offline Gino

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 10:21 AM »
Yung plastic wall plugs pwede din. not as reliable as t nut but survives many reinstallation. Advantage it is installed at the front of the work panel.

for loosened wood holes, I apply super glue around hole with tooth pick. Tightens up the hole. For small hole, I just ram tissue paper. Good as new.

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #57 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM »
kung sa akin yan, palit ang buong suround....mahirap kung patse patse ang trabaho....

+1 ako dito lalo na pag sa maunfacturer galing ang pamalit, ASAP habang fresh pa both drivers at di pa nakalagay sa final box niya. Para pantay parin ang breakin ng drivers. The drivers are voxativ by the way, looks and sound great out of the box.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 01:01 PM »
@Remington, sa Tusoy ako, doroteo jose  branch, marami din choices doon...

Offline Tsnad

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #59 on: Oct 30, 2014 at 03:12 PM »
+1 ako dito lalo na pag sa maunfacturer galing ang pamalit, ASAP habang fresh pa both drivers at di pa nakalagay sa final box niya. Para pantay parin ang breakin ng drivers. The drivers are voxativ by the way, looks and sound great out of the box.

what! voxativ... :o :o