Author Topic: Need Your Suggestions for My Prospect 40' LED TV  (Read 12685 times)

Offline nephilim_2009

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need Your Suggestions for My Prospect 40' LED TV
« on: Nov 03, 2014 at 11:32 AM »
I'm planning to buy a 40' basic LED TV by the end of November. I'm kinda stuck between Toshiba 40L2400VP and Sony KLV40R352B. Will watch movies and hopefully play PS4 with the prospective unit. Any suggestions and tips on both these brand models? Any other brand/model you may suggest? My budget is below 20K.  :D
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014 at 11:32 AM by nephilim_2009 »

Offline redline

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: Need Your Suggestions for My Prospect 40' LED TV
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2014 at 01:24 PM »
bought the Toshiba simply because it was cheaper and i was working on a very, very tight budget. besides, i was told by one dealer that the Toshiba had better PQ compared to the Sony.

specs-wise, i think the Sony wins out.

(btw, the Toshiba came with a free wall bracket and HDMI switch/splitter which became useful since the TV only had one HDMI port.)

i'm happy with what i bought. :)

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 11:49 AM »
Thanks for the tips redline.  :) Last Monday, I went to Anson's, Makati branch and tested every 40" BASIC LED TV of my preferred brands on display that are currently ON PROMO SALE. I'll have to agree, Toshiba 40L2400VP wins out in terms of picture and sound quality among all the models I tested... darks are good, brights are little washed out on some of the picture modes though, not color blind on some shades of red and grey, not so good UI, and lastly, sound quality is really superb! I was only turned off by the limited number of connections you can make with the Tosh - 1 HDMI, 1 A/V composite, 1 USB, no component out, no audio out, and no headset out as well. If the speakers in this unit get busted (and eventually they will), I'll be watching silent movies until I bring it to the repairman or route the audio signal from a different source connected to the Tosh (say from a PS3 or any other media device w/ audio out connections, etc.)

I also tested the Samsung 40" forgot the model# (color blind on some shades of red, washed out whites, poor SQ), Phillips 40" forgot the model# (color blind on some shades of red as well, poor sound, and poor UI), Sharp LC-40LE265M (washed out whites, poor SQ, poor UI), Preztiz 40" forgot the model (poor UI, color blind on some shades of red, washed out whites, poor SQ). I also tested the LG 42LB552A (overall good PQ, a little washed out whites, fair SQ, good UI, but not within my budget haha.)

Lastly, I tested the Sony KLV40R352B (overall good PQ as expected from Sony, not good darks as the Tosh's, a little washed out whites on some picture modes, good UI, good SQ though not as superb as Tosh). Also, I think this has only 60Hz native refresh rate whereas the Tosh has 120Hz native refresh rate if I'm not mistaken.

Now, I'm leaning towards the Sony KLV40R352B simply because of the connections I can make with it - 2 HDMI (one w/ ARC technology), 2 other video connection, 1 USB, 2 audio outs, and 1 headphones out, and of course the overall stunningly good-looking PQ when I tested Ender's Game on 1080p with this unit (I also tested the same title with Tosh, and it's also stunningly good-looking.) The gripes I have with this unit are - it does not come with a free wall bracket or any other freebie of some sort, it was not able to read a video file format when the Tosh was able to read that same video file (The Lone Survivor 1080p .x264 file format - funny yung Ender's Game is also in .x264 format but Sony was able to read it. Yung Lone Survivor hindi binasa, labo.)

The Sony costs P19,800 from S&S while the Tosh costs P17,800. Though the Tosh is really the "bang for your buck" 40 basic LED TV, I think I'm gonna give my money to Sony simply because of the myriad of devices I can connect to it, and the headphones out will really be beneficial for me specially during night time viewing when my baby daughter and the wifey are both asleep. Although darks of the Sony are not as good as the Tosh, the overall PQ is still quite stunning and crisp as expected from a brand like Sony. I'm excited to get this unit by the end of Nov from S&S! Can't wait to watch movies and play PS3/PS4 with this baby!

Sorry for a rather lengthy reply. One last question - may nabibili ba na universal wall bracket for the Sony KLV40R352B LED TV? =) Thanks sa lahat ng sasagot and sa mga nagbabasa netong thread na to. =) God bless.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014 at 04:25 PM by nephilim_2009 »

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 12:10 PM »
sa S&S sir meron din, kung medyo di ka choosy sir  ;D sa cdrking meron 
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 12:29 PM »
sa S&S sir meron din, kung medyo di ka choosy sir  ;D sa cdrking meron 

Ayun! Meron pala sa CDRKing! Pwede na siguro yun. =) Salamat sir. =)

Offline paugie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • matandang hilo
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 12:59 PM »
Sensya na po kung hindi pangkaraniwan ang suggestion ko...
Last April ay binigyan ako ng pambili ng LED TV ng anak ko. After a month of looking around (low budget din po) I settled on a Konka 42" unit. Ok naman po ang picture. Maraming kabitan 2 HDMI, 2 USB, may audio out, may headphones out. May wall bracket at 2 year warranty on parts and service.
I suppose by this time baka wala na yung mismong model number. Pero kung di pa kayo bumibili ay idagdag nyo ito sa inyong tinitingnan. Sa Anson's Trinoma ko ito binili at wala pa akong sakit ng ulo.

Offline slowpoked

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Need Your Suggestions for My Prospect 40' LED TV
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 01:04 PM »

bought the Toshiba simply because it was cheaper and i was working on a very, very tight budget. besides, i was told by one dealer that the Toshiba had better PQ compared to the Sony.

specs-wise, i think the Sony wins out.

(btw, the Toshiba came with a free wall bracket and HDMI switch/splitter which became useful since the TV only had one HDMI port.)

i'm happy with what i bought. :)

Sir, san mo nabili? May contact ka dun?

Tnx

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2014 at 01:09 PM »
Sensya na po kung hindi pangkaraniwan ang suggestion ko...
Last April ay binigyan ako ng pambili ng LED TV ng anak ko. After a month of looking around (low budget din po) I settled on a Konka 42" unit. Ok naman po ang picture. Maraming kabitan 2 HDMI, 2 USB, may audio out, may headphones out. May wall bracket at 2 year warranty on parts and service.
I suppose by this time baka wala na yung mismong model number. Pero kung di pa kayo bumibili ay idagdag nyo ito sa inyong tinitingnan. Sa Anson's Trinoma ko ito binili at wala pa akong sakit ng ulo.

Salamat sa suggestion sir paugie. Next week, I'll be testing other brands like TCL, Konka, Devant, Haier, and LG. Yung LG 39" hindi ko na-test last Monday. As of now, the Sony KLV40R352B stands out as my personal choice. =)
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014 at 01:36 PM by nephilim_2009 »

Offline redline

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 04:09 PM »
Sir, san mo nabili? May contact ka dun?

Tnx

Sights and Sounds 0917.541.3491

Offline redline

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 04:15 PM »
Thanks for the tips redline.  :) Last Monday, I went to Anson's, Makati branch and tested every 40" BASIC LED TV of my preferred brands on display that are currently ON PROMO SALE. I'll have to agree, Toshiba 40L2400VP wins out in terms of picture and sound quality among all the models I tested... darks are good, brights are little washed out on some of the picture modes though, not color blind on some shades of red and grey, not so good UI, and lastly, sound quality is really superb! I was only turned off by the limited number of connections you can make with the Tosh - 1 HDMI, 1 A/V composite, 1 USB, no component out, no audio out, and no headset out as well. If the speakers in this unit get busted (and eventually they will), I'll be watching silent movies until I bring it to the repairman or route the audio signal from a different source connected to the Tosh (say from a PS3 or any other media device w/ audio out connections, etc.)

I also tested the Samsung 40" forgot the model# (color blind on some shades of red, washed out whites, poor SQ), Phillips 40" forgot the model# (color blind on some shades of red as well, poor sound, and poor UI), Sharp LC-40LE265M (washed out whites, poor SQ, poor UI), Preztiz 40" forgot the model (poor UI, color blind on some shades of red, washed out whites, poor SQ). I also tested the LG 42LB552A (overall good PQ, a little washed out whites, fair SQ, good UI, but not within my budget haha.)

Lastly, I tested the Sony KLV40R352B (overall good PQ as expected from Sony, not good darks as the Tosh's, a little washed out whites on some picture modes, good UI, good SQ though not as superb as Tosh). Also, I think this has only 60Hz native refresh rate whereas the Tosh has 120Hz native refresh rate if I'm not mistaken.

Now, I'm leaning towards the Sony KLV40R352B simply because of the connections I can make with it - 2 HDMI (one w/ ARC technology), 2 other video connection, 1 USB, 2 audio outs, and 1 headphones out, and of course the overall stunningly good-looking PQ when I tested Ender's Game on 1080p with this unit (I also tested the same title with Tosh, and it's also stunningly good-looking.) The gripes I have with this unit are - it does not come with a free wall bracket or any other freebie of some sort, it was not able to read a video file format when the Tosh was able to read that same video file (The Lone Survivor 1080p .x264 file format - funny yung Ender's Game is also in .x264 format but Sony was able to read it. Yung Lone Survivor hindi binasa, labo.)

The Sony costs P19,800 from S&S while the Tosh costs P17,800. Though the Tosh is really the "bang for your buck" 40 basic LED TV, I think I'm gonna give my money to Sony simply because of the myriad of devices I can connect to it, and the headphones out will really be beneficial for me specially during night time viewing when my baby daughter and the wifey are both asleep. Although darks of the Sony are not as good as the Tosh, the overall PQ is still quite stunning and crisp as expected from a brand like Sony. I'm excited to get this unit by the end of Nov from S&S! Can't wait to watch movies and play PS3/PS4 with this baby!

Sorry for a rather lengthy reply. One last question - may nabibili ba na universal wall bracket for the Sony KLV40R352B LED TV? =) Thanks sa lahat ng sasagot and sa mga nagbabasa netong thread na to. =) God bless.

i would have wanted the Sony but i did not want to spend extra for an additional hdmi port and wall bracket. (like i said tight budget talaga. :) )

anyway, yun talaga difference between the two, connectivity options. in my case, i have a dvd player and nmt (via hdmi splitter), and digibox (via rca) connected to the Toshiba. so far so good.

Offline ichimaru_kenpachi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2014 at 04:26 PM »
Di ba yan ung model ng sony na may x-protect yata tawag dun. Mas durable daw dahil sa features n un.

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2014 at 11:26 AM »
i would have wanted the Sony but i did not want to spend extra for an additional hdmi port and wall bracket. (like i said tight budget talaga. :) )

anyway, yun talaga difference between the two, connectivity options. in my case, i have a dvd player and nmt (via hdmi splitter), and digibox (via rca) connected to the Toshiba. so far so good.

The Sony has 2 HDMI inputs... yun nga lang wala kasama wall bracket. Sa cdrking P600-P800 daw ang wall bracket pero canvass pa ako sa ibang appliance shops. =)

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2014 at 11:29 AM »
Di ba yan ung model ng sony na may x-protect yata tawag dun. Mas durable daw dahil sa features n un.

OO sir, xprotection pro ata tawag nila. IMO better pa din gamit siguro UPS or surge protector para sigurado. =)

Offline xap13

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2014 at 07:32 PM »
OO sir, xprotection pro ata tawag nila. IMO better pa din gamit siguro UPS or surge protector para sigurado. =)
sir, i'm torn as well between sony and toshiba... can both brand play mkv w/ dts audio?
tnx...  =)

Offline liamdesireful

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2014 at 11:39 PM »
I will choose Sony over Toshiba dahil sa mas marami syang connections, ibig lang sabihin mas madami ka pwedeng magawa ero mas trip ko talaga blacks ni Tosh. I just want to add thr LG 42LB5510, for 22399 at SnS. Is it a good contender with that additional 2" sa screen? Im eyeing on LG models din kasi for compatibility purposes lang naman for having an LG phone o pwede pa din ako mag-mirror on Sony or Tosh?

Offline scal

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 12:12 AM »
Check 39LB5610 instead.  It should be more in the price alley of the other choices above.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2014 at 04:14 AM by scal »

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2014 at 02:56 PM »
got a toshiba 40L2400VP today online for 17950 free shipping.

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM »
sir, i'm torn as well between sony and toshiba... can both brand play mkv w/ dts audio?
tnx...  =)
Both can play mkv files that I'm sure. I'm not sure with regards to audio playback of DTS. Sony can play DD as indicted in its tech specs. =) I guess the Toshiba can, too. =)

Offline xap13

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM »
Both can play mkv files that I'm sure. I'm not sure with regards to audio playback of DTS. Sony can play DD as indicted in its tech specs. =) I guess the Toshiba can, too. =)

thanks nephilim_2009.

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM »
I will choose Sony over Toshiba dahil sa mas marami syang connections, ibig lang sabihin mas madami ka pwedeng magawa ero mas trip ko talaga blacks ni Tosh. I just want to add thr LG 42LB5510, for 22399 at SnS. Is it a good contender with that additional 2" sa screen? Im eyeing on LG models din kasi for compatibility purposes lang naman for having an LG phone o pwede pa din ako mag-mirror on Sony or Tosh?

Yep, blacks of Tosh mas black talaga compared to Sony and some other model. Okay din naman ang LG sir, I tested one unit and okay naman PQ and the number of connections available. Okay na sana ako sa Tosh, PQ-wise and SQ-wise. Sana kasi nilagyan nila kahit isang headphones out o kaya kahit isang audio out man lang. Problema kasi dyan pag nasira yung built-in speaker.

Offline nephilim_2009

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2014 at 02:48 PM »
I just bought the Sony KLV-40R352B last Saturday. Very happy and satisfied with my purchase. =)
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2014 at 02:49 PM by nephilim_2009 »