Author Topic: Bible Movies  (Read 12742 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bible Movies
« on: Nov 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM »

The latest is Exodus: Gods and Kings, an upcoming movie directed by Ridley Scott, starring Christian Bale as Moses. 

Philippine release date is December 5, 2014.

YouTube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-8YsulfxVI

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014 at 09:14 PM by barrister »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1237
Re: Religious-Themed Films
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM »
Not sure of the exact intentions of this new thread, but there is an old, but similarly themed thread in the "Film & TV Talk" section:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,10468.0.html

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Bible Movies
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014 at 01:05 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out.   I had already forgotten about it.

Since that topic is on the "Film and TV Talk" board, while this one is on the "Religion" board, there will be a difference in emphasis.

To make this topic more specific, I changed the title to "Bible Movies."

=======================================

To give our readers an idea about the direction of the discussions I have in mind, here's one issue:

How Ridley Scott looked to science -- not miracles --
to part the Red Sea in 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'
By Sara Vilkomersonon Oct 23, 2014 at 3:38PM

If there’s one Old Testament image everyone knows, it’s the parting of the Red Sea. And when shooting that scene in Exodus: Gods and Kings (in theaters Dec. 12), director Ridley Scott knew that he want to treat the incident as realistically as possible. “You can’t just do a a giant parting, with walls of water trembling while people ride between them,” says Scott, who remembers scoffing at biblical epics from his boyhood like 1956′s The Ten Commandments. “I didn’t believe it then, when I was just a kid sitting in the third row. I remember that feeling, and thought that I’d better come up with a more scientific or natural explanation.”

Scott’s solution came from a deep dive into the history of Egypt circa 3000 B.C. After reading that a massive underwater earthquake off the coast of Italy caused a tsunami, he thought about how water recedes as a prelude to such disasters. “I thought that logically, [the parting] should be a drainage. And that when [the water] returns, it comes back with a vengeance.”

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/23/ridley-scott-red-sea-exodus/

There's a big problem with that earthquake-tsunami interpretation.

The bible says:

The Israelites journeyed from Rameses to Sukkoth. There were about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children. Many other people went up with them, and also large droves of livestock, both flocks and herds

That's 600,000 adult men.  Assuming one wife and 4 children for every adult man, that's about 3,600,000 people.  Modern estimates place the number at about 4 million to 6 million people.

So, if about 3 million people with livestock cross a muddy sea bed about 9 miles wide and 300 feet deep, how long would that take?

Walking at 1 mile an hour would take one person 9 hours.  3 million people with kids and livestock would obviously take much longer.

In case of an earthquake-tsunami incident, how long will it take for the water to return after it recedes?  Will there be enough time for 3 million people with livestock to cross?

You will have to ignore many details in the bible to make this scenario possible.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2014 at 01:38 PM by barrister »

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2014 at 09:43 AM »
Here is the "site" of the Red Sea Crossing...
http://www.arkdiscovery.com/red_sea_crossing.htm
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM »

Nobody knows the exact location of the Israelite crossing. 

Most bible scholars believe the Red Sea crossing was at the Gulf of Suez, not the Gulf of Aqaba.  But they can't poinpoint the crossing's exact location at the Gulf of Suez. 

http://www.arkdiscovery.com/red_sea_crossing.htm

Arkdiscovery.com is a Ron Wyatt site.

Wyatt (died 1999) was a fraudster who scammed Christians to fund his expeditions.  To keep the money flowing, he had to make it look like his expeditions were successful, so he just kept "finding" those artifacts. 

For example, he claimed to have found chariot wheels from the army pursuing the Israelites during the Exodus.  He also claimed to have found Goliath's sword.  :D

========================================

Ron Wyatt, the “Indiana Jones” of the SDA Church
by Wayne Jackson

Ron Wyatt (1933-1999) was a nurse-anesthetist in a hospital in Madison, Tennessee. At the age of 27 he saw a picture in Life Magazine of the Durupinar site — a large natural, boat-shaped formation — in eastern Turkey. Feverish speculation circulated that this could be the residue of Noah’s Ark. This sparked Wyatt’s interest, and was the beginning of a long amateur career as a sensationalist pseudo-archaeologist.

For the last 22 years of his life he made numerous trips to the Middle East. The claims associated with his “discoveries” would make Harrison Ford’s “Indiana Jones” pale into oblivion. Yet today, more than a decade after his death, the ongoing boasts of his unparalleled “finds” are heralded via the Wyatt Archaeological Research web site, and the various competing factions that publicize his exploits.

His work has been debunked thoroughly by professional archaeologists and respected biblical scholars.

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1511-ron-wyatt-the-indiana-jones-of-the-sda-church
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014 at 01:11 PM by barrister »

Offline docelmo

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2014 at 08:23 PM »
That explains why I placed the quotations marks on the word site. Having said that, I am leaning towards the exodus route leading to the red sea (Aqaba) than the route leading to the red sea (Suez) for several reasons...

Anything west of the Suez is still Egypt. That means that if the suez is the red sea that was crossed then Succoth, Etham and the other places the Israelite went before crossing the red sea( if suez) was still Egypt. So even if they cross the suez they would still be "in" Egypt! The "wilderness of the red sea" or wilderness of egypt  is apparently in between Succoth and Etam. There is no wilderness west of the Suez. This wilderness is now called Sinai Peninsula which bounded by the Suez on west and Aqaba on the east is egyptian territory. If it is suez then they never really were out of egypt. Another known place is the wilderness of Shur where they went after crossing the red sea was in Midian which is on the other (eastern)side of the Gulf of Aqaba.

Hahaha that Wyatt guy is either very "lucky" to have "discovered" all those sites OR.... ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014 at 09:33 PM by docelmo »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014 at 09:47 PM »
That explains why I placed the quotations marks on the word site. Having said that, I am leaning towards the exodus route leading to the red sea (Aqaba) than the route leading to the red sea (Suez) for several reasons...

Anything west of the Suez is still Egypt. That means that if the suez is the red sea that was crossed then Succoth, Etham and the other places the Israelite went before crossing the red sea( if suez) was still Egypt. So even if they cross the suez they would still be "in" Egypt! The "wilderness of the red sea" or wilderness of egypt  is apparently in between Succoth and Etam. There is no wilderness west of the Suez. This wilderness is now called Sinai Peninsula which bounded by the Suez on west and Aqaba on the east is egyptian territory. If it is suez then they never really were out of egypt. Another known place is the wilderness of Shur where they went after crossing the red sea was in Midian which is on the other (eastern)side of the Gulf of Aqaba.

Hahaha that Wyatt guy is either very "lucky" to have "discovered" all those sites OR.... ;D

Alin part ba ng red sea where they found mga old relics sa ilalim? Meron ba talaga?

Offline docelmo

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM »
Sir, Sa Guif of Aqaba daw, anyway here is an updated article on the subject.
http://mobile.wnd.com/2003/06/19382/
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014 at 11:58 PM by docelmo »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2014 at 08:12 AM »
Sir, Sa Guif of Aqaba daw, anyway here is an updated article on the subject.
http://mobile.wnd.com/2003/06/19382/

Sayang:

However, she notes a big problem for explorers and scientists is that the Egyptian government no longer allows items to be removed from the protected region. Thus, someone claiming to find an artifact will have a hard – if not impossible – time verifying its authenticity, a classic catch-22.
Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2003/06/19382/#uozl3WOzcQuoE6sZ.99

Offline docelmo

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2014 at 08:09 AM »
Going back to the movie and based on Ridley Scott's other works like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, this would be in the same league! I hope it won't go the way of Noah ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2014 at 08:03 PM »

Ok lang yon sir.  Anyway, nobody knows for sure. 

Kung walang tiyak na evidence, opinyon lang natin yon.  Hindi naman tayo tulad ng iba na pinagpipilitan na "fact" daw kuno...  :D 

The problem is that we have different maps these days than the ones they had in ancient Egypt.  Today there's a clear boundary for Egypt.  In those days, hindi malinaw ang borders.

Some say the Gulf of Suez was already outside of Ancient Egypt.  Others say the Gulfs of Suez and Aqaba were both in Ancient Egypt. 

Exodus 13:3 says, "Commemorate this day, the day you came out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery, because the Lord brought you out of it with a mighty hand."  This means that the moment they got out of Goshen, they already "came out of Egypt," even if they still had to travel from Goshen to Succoth to the Gulf of Suez.  Which means that they were already way outside of Egypt when they got to the Gulf of Suez.

At any rate, I'm still not sure. 

The traditional route is through the Gulf of Suez. http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac251/andre1960/exodus-1.png?t=1303285547

These days, the Gulf of Aqaba is very popular, largely because of Ron Wyatt.   

Personally, I think the Straits of Tiran is a good candidate: http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bible-archeology-exodus-route-goshen-red-sea.htm

Looks pretty solid.  I started reading, pero sobrang haba, sobrang complex, tinamad na ko ...  ;D     

Ganito daw ang route (see the green lines): http://www.bible.ca/archeology/maps-bible-archeology-exodus-route.jpg

:D  Peke yan sir...
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014 at 08:31 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2014 at 09:11 PM »
Going back to the movie and based on Ridley Scott's other works like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, this would be in the same league! I hope it won't go the way of Noah ;D

Exodus looks good, based on the trailer. 

I didn't like Noah.  Boring, inantok ako.  :P   

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014 at 09:12 PM by barrister »

Offline docelmo

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014 at 09:28 PM »

Ok lang yon sir.  Anyway, nobody knows for sure. 

Kung walang tiyak na evidence, opinyon lang natin yon.  Hindi naman tayo tulad ng iba na pinagpipilitan na "fact" daw kuno...  :D 

The problem is that we have different maps these days than the ones they had in ancient Egypt.  Today there's a clear boundary for Egypt.  In those days, hindi malinaw ang borders.

Some say the Gulf of Suez was already outside of Ancient Egypt.  Others say the Gulfs of Suez and Aqaba were both in Ancient Egypt. 

Exodus 13:3 says, "Commemorate this day, the day you came out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery, because the Lord brought you out of it with a mighty hand."  This means that the moment they got out of Goshen, they already "came out of Egypt," even if they still had to travel from Goshen to Succoth to the Gulf of Suez.  Which means that they were already way outside of Egypt when they got to the Gulf of Suez.

At any rate, I'm still not sure. 

The traditional route is through the Gulf of Suez. http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac251/andre1960/exodus-1.png?t=1303285547

These days, the Gulf of Aqaba is very popular, largely because of Ron Wyatt.   

Personally, I think the Straits of Tiran is a good candidate: http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bible-archeology-exodus-route-goshen-red-sea.htm

Looks pretty solid.  I started reading, pero sobrang haba, sobrang complex, tinamad na ko ...  ;D     

Ganito daw ang route (see the green lines): http://www.bible.ca/archeology/maps-bible-archeology-exodus-route.jpg

:D  Peke yan sir...

Hehehehe Right! All quiet on the western front at the moment...

Read that long article and the Strait of Tiran claim is so far the "best" candidate for the crossing. The article very systematically and objectively rejected all the other proposed routes including Wyatt's in great detail! The similarities is only as far as having the gulf of Aqaba and Mt. Sinai in Arabia instead of the traditional location in the Sinai Peninsula which was apparently chosen by Alexander's mother!

Yup! The trailer looks good, I do see some similarities in some scenes w/ De Mille's Ten Commandments!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2014 at 09:36 PM »

Ganda ng The Ten Commandments.  Good drama.  Biblical ang parting of the Red Sea.  Walls of water to the left and to the right, leaving dry land as pathway, as stated in the bible.

Problema lang yung special effects, luma na talaga. 

Sa Exodus, magaling ang special effects, pero hindi biblical.  Walang left-right walls of water.  Tsunami lang daw.  Kaya ang pathway, wet seabed, hindi dry land.

Anyway, it's just a movie.  At least hindi pa laos ang Ten Commandments Blu ray ko kasi mas biblical...  ;)   Napaka theatrical lang ng acting...  :P

=======================================

http://boombapnation.com/aliyah-gods-egypt/

John Turturro as Pharaoh Seti I (father of Ramesses II).

I thought this guy was Jewish.  Italian pala.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014 at 11:57 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 483
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014 at 02:33 AM »
Passion of Christ

para sa akin ang movie na ito ang "medyo" biblical kung paano nagsuffer si Christ sa kamay ng mga sundalo... halos hindi na makilala nang ipinako...
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2382
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2014 at 09:00 AM »
Passion of Christ

para sa akin ang movie na ito ang "medyo" biblical kung paano nagsuffer si Christ sa kamay ng mga sundalo... halos hindi na makilala nang ipinako...

I got teary eyed at the end. For me it will be more of an effect if meron scene with doubting Thomas sa ending. Baka maiyak ako ng husto hehe.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014 at 09:25 AM »
I got teary eyed at the end. For me it will be more of an effect if meron scene with doubting Thomas sa ending. Baka maiyak ako ng husto hehe.

yeah ... what if 100% percent ng sinasabi ng Bible ang ginaya ng movie kung paano pinahirapan si Christ... hindi lang iyak ang gagawin ko... mapapa-hagulgol pa ako sa pag-iyak...

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM »
Magandang topic ang The Passion of the Christ, very interesting and fascinating.

If you're a Catholic, you will appreciate it more, since the intended audience is Catholic.

Hindi nagustuhan ng US critics, mga Protestant kasi sila karamihan.  Bakit daw puro torture ang emphasis, imbis na buhay at ministry ni Jesus.  Hindi kasi sila familiar sa Catholic tradition of Passion plays, which is all about the stations of the cross, with emphasis on the trial, suffering and crucifixion of Jesus.   

You might be surprised that the movie was not biblically accurate.   Many scenes were based on the writings of the Catholic nuns Anne Catherine Emmerich and Mary of Agreda. 

Sister Emmerich bore the stigmata (mystical wounds of Jesus), and through mystical private revelations wrote The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ.   http://www.jesus-passion.com/DOLOROUS_PASSION_OF_OUR_LORD_JESUS_CHRIST.htm

Sister Mary also experienced mystical private revelations, and wrote the Mystical City of God: Divine History of the Virgin, Mother of God.

One example of a scene not in the Gospels is the part where Jesus' arm had to be stretched so that his palm would reach the pre-bored hole for the crucifixion nail, which resulted in the dislocation of his shoulder.   This scene was based on Emmerich's The Dolorous Passion, and not from scripture.

Another example is the 6th Station of the Cross --- "Veronica wipes the face of Jesus."  Bata pa lang ang Pinoy, alam na alam na niya yan dahil sa prusisyon, may statue ni St. Veronica, may tatlong imprint ng mukha ni Jesus sa white veil. 

That was in the movie, but that is not biblical.  Wala sa scripture yon.  That's Catholic tradition, also contained in Emmerich's writings from her mystical visions.  In the movie, the character's name in the credits was "Seraphia."  This was based on Emmerich's  The Dolorous Passion, which says the true name of Veronica was "Seraphia." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Veronica

It was a great movie, no question about that.  It was not scripturally accurate, pero ok lang, since it was just a movie.  I appreciated it as a presentation from the Catholic point of view, even if I'm not Catholic.

========================================

Hindi talaga kasama ang doubting Thomas sa Passion plays.

The usual Passion play is based on the 14 Stations of the Cross.  The 14th Station is the laying of Jesus on the tomb, so it should traditionally end there. 

But sometimes, a 15th Station is included  --- "The Resurrection of Jesus."  Maybe that's why Mel Gibson ended the movie with the resurrection.  Meron naman talagang non-traditional 15th Station; magiging optimistic ending pa ang movie pag sinama yon.

Pero hindi na talaga puwedeng mag-extend ang movie sa doubting Thomas.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:51 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM »
yup... all other is unbiblical... but the sufferings and how soldier did it... almost... almost.... i might say 50% kung paano pinahirapan ay Bibilical...

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2014 at 01:04 AM »
If you liked the movie, magandang discussion yan.  Magkakaroon ka ng insights about the Catholic faith.

You remember that in the movie, Mary Magdalene (Monica Bellucci) was shown in a flashback to be the adulterous woman who was almost stoned to death? 

In Catholic tradition, si Mary Magdalene daw yung adulterous woman.  Some Protestant sects also believe this.

Puwede mong ikonekta yan sa Da Vinci Code, hanggang sa "Magdalena" song ni Ka Freddie Aguilar.  ;)

But that's not biblically accurate.  The adulterous woman was not named, and there's no indication that she was Mary Magdalene.

And if you want to be really scholarly about it, there is a view that the entire story of the adulterous woman (Pericope Adulterae) is not even a part of the bible because it's just a fake addition.

https://taylorterzek.wordpress.com/research-projects/john-753-811/
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2014 at 01:37 AM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2014 at 01:59 AM »
The movie is much better than "Noah." 

In "Exodus," the story and special effects are good. 

All ten plagues were shown, and the special effects for those scenes were excellent. 

The voice of God is presented as a conversation between Moses and an 11 year old boy, but the conversation only takes place in the mind of Moses.  To me, OK lang as artistic license. 

The boy does not depict God, but only a messenger of God, which can only be an angel.  Since the conversation was only in Moses' mind, it's possible to interpret the scenes as Moses merely talking to himself --- an obvious concession for the non-religious among the audience.

The crossing of the Red Sea scenes used a new concept.  The presentation was more realistic than the biblical story, but less exciting.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2014 at 02:09 AM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2015 at 10:26 PM »

David and Goliath
US release - March 13, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql0D7mL4mpU

Too bad it looks like a low-budget movie with a limited release.

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2015 at 12:34 AM »
Bro, di ko makita ang pictures.

But I just saw the Exodus. Maganda naman siya though hindi siya perfectly bible aligned. Okay lang naman for me considering hindi naman kasi believers lang ang target audience. Parang hindi ko ata nakita yun staff na naging snake?

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2015 at 01:12 AM »
The dividing of water happened during the night and Israelites walk on a dry ground and a wall of water on their right and left sides...

sa Exodus na movie... umaga nangyari ang tidal waves... they walk on knee deep waters and walang wall of waters tapos di mo makita na itinaas ni MOses ang kanyang tungkod :(:(

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2015 at 12:01 PM »
Bro, di ko makita ang pictures.

Pinalitan ko na ang pic, bosing.

But I just saw the Exodus. Maganda naman siya though hindi siya perfectly bible aligned. Okay lang naman for me considering hindi naman kasi believers lang ang target audience. Parang hindi ko ata nakita yun staff na naging snake?

Maganda lang ang special effects, pero maraming pinalitan sa bible story.

Weirdo ang approach nila, e.  Pag gumawa ka ng Moses movie, religious audience ang majority sa mga manonood.  Pag iniba ang story, hindi magugustuhan ng mga Judeo-Christian audience.     

Yung mga hindi Judeo-Christian, ibahin o hindi ang story, hindi naman talaga sila interesado.  So, sino pa ang makaka-appreciate nito?  Judeo-Christian o hindi, hindi rin magugustuhan.

Ako, The Ten Commandments pa rin ang papanoorin ko this Holy Week.   ;)   Have you seen the new remaster?  Maganda ang restoration:

The Ten Commandments Blu-ray
Paramount Pictures | 1956 | 2 Movies | 232 min | Rated G | Mar 29, 2011
4.5 of 5

The Ten Commandments Blu-ray Review
Cinema legend, Blu-ray excellence.

Reviewed by Martin Liebman, March 11, 2011

In a word? Gorgeous. Paramount's Blu-ray release of The Ten Commandments is a magnificent sight to behold on Blu-ray.

...The image is incredibly crisp and nicely detailed even at a distance; depth of field is fantastic, too, and the transfer is capable of revealing sharp and intricate textures far off into the back end of the frame. Colors are breathtaking; bright blues, natural greens as seen in foliage, and even the varied earthen colors that are prominent in the film are all wonderfully rendered. Flesh tones enjoy exceptional neutrality, and black levels are generally strong. 

...All said, this is a breathtaking transfer. If Paramount's 1080p transfer doesn't bring a tear to the eye of die hard film enthusiasts craving to see epic classics loving restored and presented to this level of excellence, then nothing will.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ten-Commandments-Blu-ray/19727/#Review
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2015 at 01:00 PM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM »
Madami din naman Judeo-Christian na hindi nagbabasa ng bible so I think may market pa din naman kahit paano.

Mukhang maganda nga ang pagkaka-master niyan! Something to expect and to watch for the Holy Week. Hindi na din kami nagout-of-town because of the extreme heat. nasa room ka lang din most of the day kasi air conditioned, hence, bahay na nga lang.
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM by Nelson de Leon »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM »
May market naman kahit papaano.

Pero yung mga kilala ko na hindi nga maalam sa bible, napanood naman yung Ten Commandments.  Kaya ang expected nila, same story but updated special effects and acting style.  Disappointed sila, kasi malayo ang story sa expected. 

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • DVD Guru
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2015 at 01:40 PM »
I have added "The Bible" to my Holy week movie staples like "The Passion of the Christ" and "The Ten Commandments". It's not really a movie but  a mini-series produced by a Catholic couple, Mark Burnett and Roma Downey ("Touched by an Angel" star). Select stories from the Old and New Testaments are retold for the new generation.
 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bible-The-Epic-Miniseries-Blu-ray/61994/#Overview

Overall, the series is refreshing, the actors were all good and well chosen for their roles, though I find Roma Downey's Mother Mary interpretation leaves much to be desired; it could have been given to a more capable actress. Some of the episodes in the series were later re-edited and released as  "Son of God" feature film shown last year.
 http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Son-of-God-Blu-ray/100658/

Surprisingly, the series did very well in the US where it brought in more than 13 million viewers on its premiere on History channel. The producers are currently working on a sequel to the hugely successful series, this time it will be based on the events after Christ's crucifixion.

Update:
I've just googled the sequel "A.D." and found out it is set to be shown on April 5 in the US. It will air on network television (NBC) , in contrast to its prequel which was shown on cable only (History channel).
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2015 at 07:21 PM by edwn1220 »
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2015 at 09:40 PM »

A.D. The Bible Continues

10-episode mini-series, April 5 to June 21, 2015 in the US.

YouTube Sneak Peek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNNanBZUFk
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2015 at 11:42 AM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM »
That boy who played God in Exodus is good.   This is an example of artistic license.  The director actually made Moses character delusional. In effect, the director was saying that everything that happened during Moses' time can be explained away without divinity in the picture, successfully or not. He was not helming a picture meant for the Judeo-Christian audience.  He was targeting a wider audience, including atheists.  I wouldn't even call it biblical.  Just a hollywood re-telling.

« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM by av_phile1 »