Author Topic: Best soundbars in your opinion  (Read 10629 times)

Offline speed_kills

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best soundbars in your opinion
« on: Feb 07, 2015 at 09:51 PM »
I'm curious what other PinoyDVD fans are thinking...

For you, what are the best soundbars in each category that's officially available in our market at this moment?

1. Best passive soundbar -
2. Best premium soundbar set - over 40k pesos
3. Best mid priced soundbar set - 20-40k pesos
4. Best budget soundbar set - under 20k
5. Best soundbase -

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015 at 12:47 PM by speed_kills »

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
Re: Best soundbars in your opinion
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2015 at 10:20 PM »
I'm curious what other PinoyDVD fans are thinking...

For you, what are the best soundbars in each category that's officially available in our market at this moment?

1. Best premium soundbar set - over 40k pesos - GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array
2. Best mid priced soundbar set - 20-40k pesos - JBL SB350 or SB400
3. Best budget soundbar set - under 20k - JBL SB100 or SB200
4. Best soundbase

Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline speed_kills

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2015 at 12:48 PM »

Just edited, I almost forgot about passive soundbars :)

Offline ponky26

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2015 at 01:33 PM »
bookmarked.

tamang tama im looking to buy one  :D

Offline xgh0st12x

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline addigital

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2015 at 08:31 PM »

how much better is the sb400 over the sb350?

what disadvantages does having only 1 hdmi input have (sb350)?

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2015 at 09:23 PM »
Best sound bar is the polk audio surroundbar 9500.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2015 at 09:31 PM »
Best sound bar is the polk audio surroundbar 9500.

Compared with JBL Soundbars,  whats the advantage?
I own kasi JbL sb200 and planning to upgrade. Why is the Polk the best?

Offline ponky26

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM »
Compared with JBL Soundbars,  whats the advantage?
I own kasi JbL sb200 and planning to upgrade. Why is the Polk the best?

Boss ♡ Louie_18™ ✌,  whats ur take on the SB200?  voice clarity and bass ?   tia.   cheers!  ponky

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2015 at 09:03 AM »
Boss ♡ Louie_18™ ✌,  whats ur take on the SB200?  voice clarity and bass ?   tia.   cheers!  ponky

Compared with the stock TV speakers... Sobrang layo ng JBL SB200, mega improvement especially sa dialogs in TV programs and movies ;)
Ang bass nya ok din naman but medyo bitin because walang buit in sub or sub out.
But if you are after voice clarity, then sb200 is a very good soundbar na ;)

Offline musika

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Absolute sounds
  • Liked:
Best soundbars in your opinion
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM »
Focal

Monitor Audio

You ends here... for now  ;D

Just me

Offline xgh0st12x

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • DVD Guru
  • Reboot nang reboot! Punyeta, puro na lang reboot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2015 at 11:35 AM »
Sharing a mini review i did of a soundbase i purchased just last month...

Anyway, as we all know, the on-board speakers of most LED these days - regardless of brand just won't cut it; especially if compared side by side to our old CRT babies. Wont go in to detail anymore as to why this is as I assume everyone is already aware why this is so.

At any rate, let me now share the purpose of my hunt for either a soundbase or a soundbar; regardless of me owning a humble 5.1 setup. The audio of movies, tv shows, video games when outputted through my TVs speakers are absolute cr@p. On the flip side there are times when I just don't feel like outputting the audio through my pioneer receiver as I would only normally do this during more serious viewings or game sessions. So i decided to go on the hunt for something to bridge this gap.

Initially a soundbar was on the table as my list of options for my audio "capricho". However, as most soundbars came with a sub, this was a no-go for me since I didn't want another sub in the limited confines of my bedroom. Also, my display unit, a Sony 50W800b, had a stand whose clearance between the screen and the platform where the TV is placed and the actual display was only about 2 inches. Hence, most soundboard models would actually block the bottom part of the display. This was prompted me to go on the hunt for a Soundbase.

Hunting around popular appliance stores in the Glorietta area, including Listen Up, I chanced upon this model in SM Appliance Store in Makati: The Cambridge Audio Minx TV

Truth be told, it was the ONLY Soundbase in the area; and when I say ONLY, I mean that this was the display stock that I had purchased.

A soundbase. No separate subwoofer since this model already had one built in!
Priced at almost P14k, allow me now to tell you why I jumped at this. While still in the store and pairing my Iphone6 with it via Bluetooth and then playing Santana's Black Magic Woman, I immediately fell in love with it. Unfortunately, SM appliance refused to give me the discount I was wishing for since I was purchasing a display unit. They did however guarantee that the unit would still come with the establishment's warranty and exchange policy that was as if buying a brand new boxed unit. I had asked if they still had the box, all manuals and cables etc intact, they said yes. I also saw a separate printed insert that had the local addresses of authorized service centers.

Did a quick googling to verify the actual contents of the box; not only did I find the information I was looking for, but also verified that watthifi.com and trustedreviews.com gave it a 5/5 and a 4/5 respectively. (More icing on the cake)

https://www.google.com/search?q=cambridge+audio+minx+tv+sound+bar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Long story short - bought in on a 6 month 0% installment plan and set it up as soon as i got home last Sunday.

UNBOXING - Inside was a separate box that contained the soundbase itself, a separate powebrick similar to a typical laptop charger in appearance, an optical cable, a 3.5mm-3.5mm audio cable, the remote, and all manuals and inserts.

Looking at the front made the soundbase feel simple and straightforward. An LED display to indicate current input and volume level should have been a must for these units.

Stripped of the cloth speaker cover - Two 3 inch mid range and a bunch of color coded LED input indicator lights as well as the IR receiver in the middle.

The bottom shows us a 6.5 inch sub.

Rear view peek reveals the a bass port, a power port; optical, RCA and 3.5mm inputs. No HDMI - which would have sweetened the deal just a bit more. Didn't cry too much over this since my priority was connecting it to my LED TV (and it did sound just that much better considering I'm using an optical cable to connect them) as well as occasionally using it for streaming audio from my phone via Bluetooth.

The remote, as shown here side by side with my Sony TV remote is about half the size of a credit card although considerably thicker, is powered by a button type battery. I wish they had made this a bit bigger, sturdier, and powered by at least a AAA battery. Losing or breaking this thing would not require too much effort. Oh, and if either of those happens, I can say bye-bye to my soundbase's functionality. No manual controls built in the unit itself.

Here it is, set up with my Sony 50W800B. The TV stand was a photo finish fit (length-wise) Verified that it can support any TV size so long as the base or stand of the TV fits the soundbase's top surface and so long as it is below 15kg.

SOUND QUALITY:
The 100 Watts RMS does justify a promise of filling the room with rich sound. Bass had adequate but solid thump for a 6.5 inch SW. The two 3 inch mids threw out amazing quality in terms of clarity. A discriminating listener would look for tweeters at it could use some high frequency. Make no mistake that considering the overall sound quality and volume this baby is capable of outputting, the lack of tweeters is in no way a deal breaker.

PROS:
- Overall sound quality, clarity and loudness considering its size & price. (Close your eyes and you'd swear you were listening from a reputably branded, medium sized mini component.)
- Bluetooth, Optical In 2 types of analog inputs
- Space saver as compared to soundbars
- Built in SW

CONS:
- No HDMI in
- Remote Control design
- Lack of LCD input/volume level display

OVERALL:
Considering my current needs, the audio quality and the little bonuses like BT connectivity and multiple input options that this unit had to offer, I'm a happy camper.

It was not too expensive IMHO. And the peace of mind of having store warranty as well as local authorized service centers just in case made it easier to bite the bullet so to speak.
Formerly SonOfKratos

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2015 at 11:41 AM »
Sharing a mini review i did of a soundbase i purchased just last month...

Anyway, as we all know, the on-board speakers of most LED these days - regardless of brand just won't cut it; especially if compared side by side to our old CRT babies. Wont go in to detail anymore as to why this is as I assume everyone is already aware why this is so.

At any rate, let me now share the purpose of my hunt for either a soundbase or a soundbar; regardless of me owning a humble 5.1 setup. The audio of movies, tv shows, video games when outputted through my TVs speakers are absolute cr@p. On the flip side there are times when I just don't feel like outputting the audio through my pioneer receiver as I would only normally do this during more serious viewings or game sessions. So i decided to go on the hunt for something to bridge this gap.

Initially a soundbar was on the table as my list of options for my audio "capricho". However, as most soundbars came with a sub, this was a no-go for me since I didn't want another sub in the limited confines of my bedroom. Also, my display unit, a Sony 50W800b, had a stand whose clearance between the screen and the platform where the TV is placed and the actual display was only about 2 inches. Hence, most soundboard models would actually block the bottom part of the display. This was prompted me to go on the hunt for a Soundbase.

Hunting around popular appliance stores in the Glorietta area, including Listen Up, I chanced upon this model in SM Appliance Store in Makati: The Cambridge Audio Minx TV

Truth be told, it was the ONLY Soundbase in the area; and when I say ONLY, I mean that this was the display stock that I had purchased.

A soundbase. No separate subwoofer since this model already had one built in!
Priced at almost P14k, allow me now to tell you why I jumped at this. While still in the store and pairing my Iphone6 with it via Bluetooth and then playing Santana's Black Magic Woman, I immediately fell in love with it. Unfortunately, SM appliance refused to give me the discount I was wishing for since I was purchasing a display unit. They did however guarantee that the unit would still come with the establishment's warranty and exchange policy that was as if buying a brand new boxed unit. I had asked if they still had the box, all manuals and cables etc intact, they said yes. I also saw a separate printed insert that had the local addresses of authorized service centers.

Did a quick googling to verify the actual contents of the box; not only did I find the information I was looking for, but also verified that watthifi.com and trustedreviews.com gave it a 5/5 and a 4/5 respectively. (More icing on the cake)

https://www.google.com/search?q=cambridge+audio+minx+tv+sound+bar&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Long story short - bought in on a 6 month 0% installment plan and set it up as soon as i got home last Sunday.

UNBOXING - Inside was a separate box that contained the soundbase itself, a separate powebrick similar to a typical laptop charger in appearance, an optical cable, a 3.5mm-3.5mm audio cable, the remote, and all manuals and inserts.

Looking at the front made the soundbase feel simple and straightforward. An LED display to indicate current input and volume level should have been a must for these units.

Stripped of the cloth speaker cover - Two 3 inch mid range and a bunch of color coded LED input indicator lights as well as the IR receiver in the middle.

The bottom shows us a 6.5 inch sub.

Rear view peek reveals the a bass port, a power port; optical, RCA and 3.5mm inputs. No HDMI - which would have sweetened the deal just a bit more. Didn't cry too much over this since my priority was connecting it to my LED TV (and it did sound just that much better considering I'm using an optical cable to connect them) as well as occasionally using it for streaming audio from my phone via Bluetooth.

The remote, as shown here side by side with my Sony TV remote is about half the size of a credit card although considerably thicker, is powered by a button type battery. I wish they had made this a bit bigger, sturdier, and powered by at least a AAA battery. Losing or breaking this thing would not require too much effort. Oh, and if either of those happens, I can say bye-bye to my soundbase's functionality. No manual controls built in the unit itself.

Here it is, set up with my Sony 50W800B. The TV stand was a photo finish fit (length-wise) Verified that it can support any TV size so long as the base or stand of the TV fits the soundbase's top surface and so long as it is below 15kg.

SOUND QUALITY:
The 100 Watts RMS does justify a promise of filling the room with rich sound. Bass had adequate but solid thump for a 6.5 inch SW. The two 3 inch mids threw out amazing quality in terms of clarity. A discriminating listener would look for tweeters at it could use some high frequency. Make no mistake that considering the overall sound quality and volume this baby is capable of outputting, the lack of tweeters is in no way a deal breaker.

PROS:
- Overall sound quality, clarity and loudness considering its size & price. (Close your eyes and you'd swear you were listening from a reputably branded, medium sized mini component.)
- Bluetooth, Optical In 2 types of analog inputs
- Space saver as compared to soundbars
- Built in SW

CONS:
- No HDMI in
- Remote Control design
- Lack of LCD input/volume level display

OVERALL:
Considering my current needs, the audio quality and the little bonuses like BT connectivity and multiple input options that this unit had to offer, I'm a happy camper.

It was not too expensive IMHO. And the peace of mind of having store warranty as well as local authorized service centers just in case made it easier to bite the bullet so to speak.

I am guessing this will be a wiser buy than the near-its-price LG soundbars

Online yapoy86

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM »
I have a philips htl 2160 soundbar sulit naman with bluetooth, digital coax, optical in, rca in, malakas naman pero minsan bitin yung volume nya pag mahina yun source. Kahit ilakas mo hindi basta nainit yung unit tsaka hindi sabog ang sound.

Sulit na sa price below 8k

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2015 at 02:10 PM »
Bought  this Toshiba SB3950E1 - 40W Traditional Sound Bar for Php5K sa spectra...for my Erpat.

My Opinion, save your money and get a better one, sabi nga you got what you've paid for. Though if connected with an optical cable it can decode DTS but the sound quality really not that good compare to JBL  SB200. (compared it to SB200 for an apple to apple i mean no subwoofer) Well ang layo din naman ng price ;D  Meron sya libre na bluetooth dongle to stream your common bluetooth equipped gadgets.

Offline ponky26

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2015 at 03:59 AM »
Compared with the stock TV speakers... Sobrang layo ng JBL SB200, mega improvement especially sa dialogs in TV programs and movies ;)
Ang bass nya ok din naman but medyo bitin because walang buit in sub or sub out.
But if you are after voice clarity, then sb200 is a very good soundbar na ;)

NIce thanks sa feedback Boss ♡ Louie_18™ ✌.   sige wait ko na lang benta mo ung SB200 mo.  :D

parehas naman tau tiga south. ;)

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2015 at 04:12 AM »
As long as you keep in mind that soundbars are meant to upgrade your tv speakers and not a dedicated Home Theater (except for the pricey ones) you should be happy with most of the stuff you can get

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2015 at 07:44 AM »
Bought  this Toshiba SB3950E1 - 40W Traditional Sound Bar for Php5K sa spectra...for my Erpat.

My Opinion, save your money and get a better one, sabi nga you got what you've paid for. Though if connected with an optical cable it can decode DTS but the sound quality really not that good compare to JBL  SB200. (compared it to SB200 for an apple to apple i mean no subwoofer) Well ang layo din naman ng price ;D  Meron sya libre na bluetooth dongle to stream your common bluetooth equipped gadgets.

Almost bought that model as well. THat one is on buy1 take1 at Gadgets in Style at Magnolia for 8k ++

Did a simple audition and it was really, well, not even mediocre. Agree though, on the DTS decoding.

Offline ponky26

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2015 at 06:55 AM »

nakabili ako nung Philips HTL-2163

pwede na sa aking tenga at pangangailangan.

nasa 9k php with free optical cable at besobeso sa sales lady.  ;D

Offline zram18

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 07:59 PM »
free beso beso sa sales lady?

saan yan... :)

Online yapoy86

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 08:30 PM »
Ok na yan soundbar lalo na sa kwarto lang hehe.. yung philips htl 2160 ko may digital coax na din.. plus virtual surround yung sound nya parang nasa cinema na kunyare kunyarian lang hehe

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 08:38 PM »
So far for me, yung bose lifestyle 235 na soundbar with module. Listen to it and check the sound during calibration setup. Surround sound talaga.

Offline mccoy26

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2015 at 07:27 PM »

Offline zonks

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3144

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2015 at 07:51 PM »
this should have been posted in the Marketplace

Offline boyet0173

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2015 at 09:22 AM »
JBL SB100 outdated pero sulit na sulit ako sa tunog..maganda ang sound sa music para sa akin.  :)

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2015 at 01:30 PM »
Ended up with AA's Sound Bar, so far so good for me.

Offline zram18

• DVD Addict
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2015 at 02:22 PM »
congrats sir and enjoy!  :)

Offline zonks

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3144
« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2015 at 05:54 PM »
ok naman ang sb100, may provision pa ng SW

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2015 at 12:00 AM »
The JBL SB400 is pretty good, but it's not even close to the clarity and crisp sound that the HK SB30 produce. I auditioned this side by side and the HK is awesome, but more expensive than the JBL.