Author Topic: Suggestions for CD Player for use as a transport  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suggestions for CD Player for use as a transport
« on: Feb 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM »
What CD Player is good as a transport or can I use whatever CD Player I can find that has a digital out?

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
Re: Suggestions for CD Player for use as a transport
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2015 at 10:59 AM »
Hmmmmmm...... normally in the audiophile world, a CD player needs a very good transport (basically the mechanism/tray that handles/spins the disk).  The transport should be quiet enough not to generate noise while it's reading the disk and does not transport any noise into the digital signal path.  Therefore, the internal or external dac should receive the digital signal free from noise in order to generate a good sound output.

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM »
Therefore it depends on your intended use.

If it will be for critical listening or if you expect high quality output, a quality CD player is required.  There are good player from Cayin, marantz, accuphase, naim, etc., depending on your budget.

If it is just for casual listening and there is no need for high quality output, any cd/dvd/bluray player is acceptable as long as it has a digital output that will connect to your external dac.

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2015 at 05:54 PM »
Thanks....I have extra funds for either a CD, a second turntable or an upgrade to my existing phono preamp...looking at my options

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 873
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2015 at 06:20 PM »
As a budget CD player than can do double duty as a solid transport my money goes to the Pioneer CDP's that employ the Stable Platter System (upside down orientation of the disc). The platter itself has a solid and dense mass and the disc itself is clamped on to that small turntable like design not unlike ordinary CDP's that just clamp the disc with plastic and spin it. The laser assembly is on top of the disc shining the laser downward unlike others who have it on the bottom which is prone to accumulating dust.

Tried Onkyo, Marantz, Rotel, Harman, Sony ES etc. As a transport the Pioneer SPS CD will definitely win in my point of view. The Pioneer Legato Link D/A that came with the player is not for me. I never liked how it sounded as a CDP so I never used it as a CD Player. I used it only as a transport.

Used to have one connected to an EAD D/A via Optical feed. Enjoyed it for years. The only time I  realized how good the performance of the Pioneer SPS design was when I ironically upgraded to a Classe CDT-1 Transport. Coupled with the EAD, my application, room and taste the Pioneer in hindsight would probably score a solid 8 out of 10 in sound while the Classe would be a 9 out of 10.  Pricewise the Pioneer will be a 10/10 while the Classe will be a 6/10. Build Quality wise the Pioneer is expectedly outgunned.

And the good thing here is that these Pioneer CDP's often show up in the used market for around 3K to 4K. Thats a steal for what it can do.

You need a good D/A though to maximize it. Hope this helps
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015 at 06:30 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat