Author Topic: Ceiling Speakers Recommendation?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline ramonvinzon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ceiling Speakers Recommendation?
« on: Mar 03, 2015 at 11:18 AM »
Hi guys!

Pardon me for the noob questions, but I am very new to this Forum. I'm quite glad to have stumbled upon it because it seems that there are quite a lot of Audio gurus lounging around here. :)

Anyway, I am currently taking charge of installation of ceiling speakers for a boutique hotel project. I plan on installing around 15 ceiling speakers for the whole property for PIPED-IN music only. Because of the nature of its use (which is really just for ambiance while walking around the hotel's lobby and hallways), sound quality does not need to meet the audiophile-expectations of most members in this forum.  ;D

Decent sound quality is more than sufficient, actually.

Just a few questions:

1. I purchased TOA 658r from 5th Avenue. Are these any good?
2. What type of Mixer/Amplifier would you suggest I use? Low power consumption and durability are key - because music will be played almost 24/7 since it's for a hotel.
3. I purchased gauge-14 speaker cables from RAON (sa tabi-tabi lang). They're transparent red cables with a blue stripe - pretty much all the stores in the area supply the same cable (@ 1,100 per 100m roll). Are these any good?

I hope the 1st question will qualify my topic to the "AMPLIFIER" section of the forum. Hehe.  :D

Hoping for your guidance, masters! :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Re: Ceiling Speakers Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2015 at 02:47 PM »
You need pro amplifiers that has higher voltage output and output transformer or balancing transformer? Sorry I forgot what it's called. I think it's been discussed here dati but not expensively. You speakers should also have transformers that can match the amplifiers ratings. Impendance matching. Meron na ata yun TOA speakers mo. Sa selection of amplifiers, I think most of them are class D na ata which is very efficient though baka masmahal compared sa mga ibang class. Very negligible naman ang load ng mixer. You also might consider using 2 amps for the 15 speakers. You can divide it sa 2 loads pero sana, one amp can also power all 15 speakers na, for back-up purposes.

Offline ramonvinzon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2015 at 02:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply sir Nelson!

Actually this is what the guys from 5th Avenue told me as well. They are recommending a 250watt amplifier (which is more than enough for 15 speakers, considering they are only 3watts each). And yes, the TOA speakers have their own transformers na.

Sa amplifiers sir, how would I know what CLASS they are (e.g. class D as you mentioned)?

And I'm not quite sure if it would advisable for us to do 2 amps, considering the very little space available in the concierge area (where the amps will be placed). Will a 250-watt amp not be enough for the 15 speakers?

Thanks sir! Looking forward to your reply again! :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2015 at 02:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply sir Nelson!

Actually this is what the guys from 5th Avenue told me as well. They are recommending a 250watt amplifier (which is more than enough for 15 speakers, considering they are only 3watts each). And yes, the TOA speakers have their own transformers na.

Sa amplifiers sir, how would I know what CLASS they are (e.g. class D as you mentioned)?

And I'm not quite sure if it would advisable for us to do 2 amps, considering the very little space available in the concierge area (where the amps will be placed). Will a 250-watt amp not be enough for the 15 speakers?

Thanks sir! Looking forward to your reply again! :)

Check mo din ilan watts yun transformer ng speakers so you'd know kung sufficient na ba yun amp mo.