Author Topic: Tube rolling for a newbie  (Read 4195 times)

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Tube rolling for a newbie
« on: Mar 17, 2015 at 10:19 PM »
Guys, im practically virgin in tubes so please be gentle.

I just acquired a decent el84 tube using dynaco st-35 specs.  Tube compliments are 4 RCA 6bq5 and 2 matsutcrapa 12ax7.

Can someone help me out what tubes to invest and what sonic character to expect?

Also, im toying with the idea of having a tube preamp as my next investment.  Can you give me a suggestion what tube preamp would best be used?  I wish to attain better headroom by adding preamp sana.

Thanks
Paeng
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7170
Re: Tube rolling for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2015 at 06:04 PM »
a lot depends on your speakers, if that were mine, 90db or better sensitivity is my speaker of choice...

a pre-amp can let you get more colorations, i have some preamps that i can lend you to give you an idea...

or you can bring that amp to the house for pairing with a preamp...

about tubes, the 12ax7 should last a lifetime, it is not stressed at all, the EL84 will also last a long time
if you got them new, baka nga nagsawa ka na sa amp buo pa rin yung tubes...

or you can try borrowing from your friends before buying....

i see in the market place that they seem to take long to resell...
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2015 at 12:07 AM »

I agree with sir Tony to try first before buying unless you plan to have a collection of tubes laying in your drawer....

I tried several 12ax7/ecc83 in my fisher int. amp, both at preamp & PI positions. I didn't hear any distinct difference between these tubes except when I used 5751 tubes at PI (a gift from Fr. Jim aka nizmo). This tube has lower gain than 12ax7 but music has more body than other tubes I tried.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2015 at 07:46 AM »
I agree with sir Tony to try first before buying unless you plan to have a collection of tubes laying in your drawer....

I tried several 12ax7/ecc83 in my fisher int. amp, both at preamp & PI positions. I didn't hear any distinct difference between these tubes except when I used 5751 tubes at PI (a gift from Fr. Jim aka nizmo). This tube has lower gain than 12ax7 but music has more body than other tubes I tried.

what many do not know, the mu of the tube is not its voltage gain when used in a circuit,
a mu of 100 is seldom translated to voltage gain of 100 in an actual circuit,
the tranconductance of the tube or its cathode current has more influence on voltage gain...

the 12at7 which has a mu of 60 and the 5751 with much of 70 can can have the same voltage gains
 as the 12ax7 depending on how it is used in an actual circuit...

mu is like pi of a circle, it is not a physical thing, but is the ratio of the circumference over its diameter..
plate resistance is a physical thing, it is the distance between the plate and the cathode,
transconductance is also a physical thing, it is the quality of the cathode material used
and the heating element or simply the filament...
plate resistance varies with plate voltage as tranconductance varies as the cathode current..
mu is not constant with any tube and also varies with plate voltage....
mu equals tranconductance times plate resistance...

i hope i did not confuse you more...:D

btw, tube rolling works because the specs of the tubes are merely statistics,
different tube manufacturers make tubes differently using different materials,
and so no one knows exactly how these tubes are with respect to published specs or datasheets...
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2015 at 08:38 AM by tony »
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline romeoalltheway

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Apprentice
  • Humanitarian Listener
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2015 at 08:34 AM »
Sounds greek but interesting :)
Denon PMA520AE/AVR2808i
NAD C316BEE
Bose 301 V, Q Acoustics 2020i/2070i, Dali Lektor 8
Denon DP 300F

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2015 at 08:42 AM »
Sounds greek but interesting :)

yes, there are more to tubes that simply pulling them out then plugging in another....
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2015 at 08:42 AM by tony »

Offline romeoalltheway

• Apprentice
  • Humanitarian Listener
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM »
Actually, sir,  I've been following many of your posts with fascination. My previous knowledge of tube amps was seeing them used in my childhood in the province by the "community dance" DI some 35 years ago before I started reading your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge to curious minds like me. I'm just a few months in this forum, although I've loved music for a lifetime, but the increase in knowledge of technology and science behind music has leapt immensely. Thanks to you and the others for that.
Denon PMA520AE/AVR2808i
NAD C316BEE
Denon DP 300F

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM »
Actually, sir,  I've been following many of your posts with fascination. My previous knowledge of tube amps was seeing them used in my childhood in the province by the "community dance" DI some 35 years ago before I started reading your posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge to curious minds like me. I'm just a few months in this forum, although I've loved music for a lifetime, but the increase in knowledge of technology and science behind music has leapt immensely. Thanks to you and the others for that.

i am posting here and in many other forums so that the so called "tube mistery" can be unmasked...
all of my postings are from a point of view of someone who builds amps and not as a consumer or end user..
spins and hypes are all around, my posts are what i call equalizers so that readers get a balanced view...

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2015 at 06:12 PM »
what many do not know, the mu of the tube is not its voltage gain when used in a circuit,
a mu of 100 is seldom translated to voltage gain of 100 in an actual circuit,
the tranconductance of the tube or its cathode current has more influence on voltage gain...

the 12at7 which has a mu of 60 and the 5751 with much of 70 can can have the same voltage gains
 as the 12ax7 depending on how it is used in an actual circuit...

mu is like pi of a circle, it is not a physical thing, but is the ratio of the circumference over its diameter..
plate resistance is a physical thing, it is the distance between the plate and the cathode,
transconductance is also a physical thing, it is the quality of the cathode material used
and the heating element or simply the filament...
plate resistance varies with plate voltage as tranconductance varies as the cathode current..
mu is not constant with any tube and also varies with plate voltage....
mu equals tranconductance times plate resistance...

i hope i did not confuse you more...:D

btw, tube rolling works because the specs of the tubes are merely statistics,
different tube manufacturers make tubes differently using different materials,
and so no one knows exactly how these tubes are with respect to published specs or datasheets...

Confused & nose bleed... ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2015 at 06:26 AM »
IOW, how sure are you that the 12AT7 you are holding now is not a relabled 12AX7? >:D >:D >:D

Offline romeoalltheway

• Apprentice
  • Humanitarian Listener
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2015 at 09:11 AM »

i am posting here and in many other forums so that the so called "tube mistery" can be unmasked...
all of my postings are from a point of view of someone who builds amps and not as a consumer or end user..
spins and hypes are all around, my posts are what i call equalizers so that readers get a balanced view...

Indeed thanks, more power to you, sir, and all the masters of pdvd university!  :)
Denon PMA520AE/AVR2808i
NAD C316BEE
Denon DP 300F

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2015 at 07:23 AM »
fair warning, maraming napaso sa pagbile ng NOS tubes, ingat ingat lang pag may time....:D

Offline cyberdraven

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Collector
  • Old Carabao eats young grass!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2015 at 02:17 PM »
or you can bring that amp to the house for pairing with a preamp...

Finally!!!!  Actually sir I read most of your thread and ranting to meet you.  I tried to look for a common friend to introduce me to you.  I did PM but I think there is a problem with my account.  I work in pasig and live in lower antipolo so I am near your place.  Just let me know when I could pay you a visit.  You could also sms me at 0922 8985694.

Thanks

Paeng
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2015 at 04:13 PM »
Finally!!!!  Actually sir I read most of your thread and ranting to meet you.  I tried to look for a common friend to introduce me to you.  I did PM but I think there is a problem with my account.  I work in pasig and live in lower antipolo so I am near your place.  Just let me know when I could pay you a visit.  You could also sms me at 0922 8985694.

Thanks

Paeng

i am at the house most of the time.....you are welcome to visit.....